PDA

View Full Version : Australia bails out GM

Pauls' Revere
03-21-2012, 10:19 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/australia-plans-288m-subsidy-general-motors-023129800.html

CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — The government announced Thursday a 275 million Australian dollar ($288 million) subsidy for General Motors Co. to guarantee it continues to manufacture cars in Australia for another decade through its subsidiary Holden Ltd.

As part of the deal, U.S.-based GM said in a statement it has agreed to invest more than $1 billion in car manufacturing at its Melbourne and Adelaide plants until at least 2022.

Holden will use the government assistance to design and build two new cars for the global market after 2015, the statement said.

GM bailed out again...now the Aussies.

Aus4RP
03-21-2012, 11:16 PM
I'm shocked... that we still made cars here in Aus. My guess it would be just assembling parts made in Asia. Yippee...

eduardo89
03-21-2012, 11:26 PM
I'm shocked... that we still made cars here in Aus. My guess it would be just assembling parts made in Asia. Yippee...

Holden makes some pretty awesome cars, especially their sport versions.

I love the Holden Ute, a pickup/coupe crossover

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/29/2007-2008_Holden_VE_Ute_Omega_01.jpg/640px-2007-2008_Holden_VE_Ute_Omega_01.jpg

The_Ruffneck
03-22-2012, 02:16 AM
If they lowered taxes they wouldn't need a bailout.
I heard some glass bottle manufacturers are considering importing all the bottles from China instead of making them here because the carbon tax will hike costs so much.
How is it 'greener' to import empty beer , wine and soft drink bottles from China than making them here.
Fuck Gillard , fuck the carbon tax.

RP-AUSTRALIA
03-22-2012, 06:20 AM
The carbon tax is certainly very unpopular and so are the Labor Party and the Greens. Those independents that put her into power should be locked up for betraying their electorates. She is easily the worst Prime Minister we have ever had. Her voice and her face are also horrendous. Everyone I know hates her.