PDA

View Full Version : Other: Secret Service???

Black Mamba
03-21-2012, 03:52 PM
Ron Paul said that secret service is a "form of welfare." He said, "You know, you're having the taxpayers pay to take care of somebody."

Is he f***ing serious?? Dont get me wrong, I like the man and I agree with much of what he says -- I wouldnt be on this forum if I didnt. but I would really, really like an explanation for this one. Perhaps I'm missing something? Maybe I am, maybe I'm not... but maybe its also not good to blindly agree with everything a politician says, even if you think they're the best choice for president. :)

bluesc
03-21-2012, 04:01 PM
Government providing a service to someone at the tax payer's expense.

welfare [ˈwɛlˌfɛə]

Chiefly US and Canadian in receipt of financial aid from a government agency or other source

specsaregood
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Government providing a service to someone at the tax payer's expense.

especially sickening since almost all or all of these fools getting it are wealthy enough to afford private security.

libertyjam
03-21-2012, 04:05 PM
He was explaining his refusal of the SS detail offered for him on the campaign as an official presidential candidate, which costs about whatever-he-said, and the other candidates are taking advantage of.

A strategy- and more of a back-handed slap at the big O I say.

narrowphoenix
03-21-2012, 04:17 PM
BTW Bill Maher is NOT a libertarian. You can find that out by watching his show for about 15 seconds

WilliamC
03-21-2012, 04:23 PM
Ron Paul said that secret service is a "form of welfare." He said, "You know, you're having the taxpayers pay to take care of somebody."

Is he f***ing serious?? Dont get me wrong, I like the man and I agree with much of what he says -- I wouldnt be on this forum if I didnt. but I would really, really like an explanation for this one. Perhaps I'm missing something? Maybe I am, maybe I'm not... but maybe its also not good to blindly agree with everything a politician says, even if you think they're the best choice for president. :)

There is a difference between security and Secret Service.

Personally I don't have a problem with Secret Service details for the President and the Vice President and their families, and to a lessor extent with former holders of those offices, but it should stop there.

Candidates should either provide their own or, if somehow the government has to do it, it should not be the Secret Service.

There are far less expensive alternatives, and these people are not royalty.

Black Mamba
03-21-2012, 09:21 PM
If you are running for the presidency, you should have the opportunity to be protected by the secret service. Just because you arent president it dosent mean people dont want you dead. Remember Bobby Kennedy...

bluesc
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
If you are running for the presidency, you should have the opportunity to be protected by the secret service. Just because you arent president it dosent mean people dont want you dead. Remember Bobby Kennedy...

Plenty of other people have people that want them dead too. Why don't we give them all SS protection?

Romney, Gingrich, Santorum can all afford private security.

No Free Beer
03-21-2012, 09:25 PM
I don't think he was talking about the President of the United States.

He was talking about the candidates.

Why should I pay for someone who isn't holding elected office?

If you are providing them with secrete service, then by that principle you should supply all famous people with secrete service.

Again, think about the principle.

specsaregood
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM

lotsa people want lotsa people dead, they dont get secret service.

qh4dotcom
03-21-2012, 09:26 PM

And why can't a presidential candidate pay for his own security?

No Free Beer
03-21-2012, 09:27 PM

I think I saw you on Huffington Post, btw.

eduardo89
03-21-2012, 09:29 PM
especially sickening since almost all or all of these fools getting it are wealthy enough to afford private security.

That's ridiculous. Romney paid a whole 14% of his income in taxes last year, he deserves this taxpayer funded protection.

Phil
03-21-2012, 10:45 PM
I'm on the fence on the secret service. It's absolutely necessary for the President, obviously. For people running for President? Not so much..

Black Mamba
03-22-2012, 12:19 AM
I don't think he was talking about the President of the United States.

He was talking about the candidates.

Yes, I know what he was talking about.

Black Mamba
03-22-2012, 12:21 PM
a lot of people have said things like "he wasnt talking about the president, he was talking about himself and the candidates" - i know what he was referring to, people, lol i read all of what he said about it.

davesxj
03-22-2012, 06:45 PM
Ron Paul is the only candidate for President who doesn't behave as if the taxpayers owe him more than he's getting. His office gives back unused funds to the Treasury consistently. He's never voted himself a pay raise. He's opted out of the congressional pension plan. He hasn't used his post as a benefit to pad his career with lobbyists' money. Dr. Paul want's to pay for his own security while campaigning, and as President, wants to only receive a salary of 40K when I would pay him 400K to not ru(i)n my life.

He calls the other supposedly conservative candidates "welfare queens" because his vocabulary is spectacular and in two words he "slammed" all of his competition for President.

Rick Santorum has a horrible voting record of taking taxpayer money for himself and to fund big government to order our lives as his team sees fit.

Mitt (R)Money says welfare is a security wall and he will make sure all the holes for people to climb through are closed.

Obama says I am not giving him enough credit for what he's "achieved."

I thought it was a great comment by Dr. Paul.

Feelgood
03-22-2012, 07:35 PM

Yep! I also remember how well the SS protect John Kennedy. Remember him?

Republicanguy
03-23-2012, 07:37 AM
It was Kennedy's choice to leave the roof of the car open.

lib3rtarian
03-23-2012, 07:43 AM

What is your problem though? You wanted him to blow 50K per day of taxpayer dollars while campaigning? He has private security on the campaign trail. If he becomes President, I don't mind my tax dollars going for his security. It was noble of him to turn it down.

tod evans
03-23-2012, 07:47 AM

People don't seem to realize that "government" doesn't have any money to pay for the secret service.......or anything else for that matter.

Ron Paul gets it.........The "government" is borrowing AND devaluing the dollar just to stay afloat and you would chastise RP for not contributing to this wasteful spending?

My great grandchildren are going to be footing the bills our "government" is running up now.

Kudos to Ron for his integrity!

Ronulus
03-23-2012, 08:10 AM

In that case why doesn't Vermin Supreme have secret service provided for him? I doubt even Buddy Roemer has it.

Danke
03-23-2012, 08:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOT4JlgcX-g

juvanya
03-23-2012, 09:02 AM
Whats your complaint?

roho76
03-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Who told you that? Kennedy himself? Besides they would have shot him through the back window if "he chose" to leave the roof up. The position of the shooters made that irrelevant.