PDA

View Full Version : Did conservative media help create its own monster?

Philhelm
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
I can't help but wonder if the likes of Hannity, Limbaugh, Beck, and Savage actually helped to unwittingly lead people to the liberty movement. As much as they had talked about limited government, the Constitution, and liberty, it's ridiculously funny to see them berate a man like Ron Paul. I used to listen to them on the radio and watch Fox News, but when Ron Paul came along I was drawn like a moth to a candle. If nothing else, I merely took the "conservative" propaganda to its logical conclusion: Ron Paul.

I imagine that I'm not alone in thinking this.

Southron
03-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Yes. I actually believed in the principles they claimed to hold. If they actually believed their own words, it would have led them to Ron Paul as well.

AGRP
03-21-2012, 03:04 PM
"I like Ron Paul except his foreign policy."

I find it funny that their standard attack words against him is exactly what drew me to him.

Words they love, yet the statement in itself doesn't make sense if you analyze everything but his foreign policy. I remember thinking to myself over and over how one man could be so incredibly smart to the point that he predicted collapses that he could be so wrong on something equally as important such as foreign policy. Either an incredibly educated and honest person such as Ron Paul is right or an entertainer on the TV or radio is wrong. The statement "I like Ron Paul except his foreign policy" does not jive.

RiseAgainst
03-21-2012, 03:06 PM
You took it to it's logical stepping stone. To it's logical conclusion is anarchy.

And yes, 8 years ago I was working on Bush's re-election campaign, attending Hannity lectures, and listening to El Rushbo. Today the whole lot makes me want to vomit.

thoughtomator
03-21-2012, 03:16 PM
"I like Ron Paul except his foreign policy."

That becomes more and more of a compliment to RP as more and more people realize our foreign policy SUCKS DONKEY GONAD

pcosmar
03-21-2012, 03:17 PM
Conservative? (yeah, ok,,whatever)

Well yes,, I listened to the media for years. That had little to do with me supporting Ron.
I did not hear of Ron in the media at all.

I first heard of him on another forum (THR) before the purge, and researched him.

RonRules
03-21-2012, 03:20 PM
If you ever meet or call their shows, tell them: "I like George Washington, except for his foreign policy."

Zippyjuan
03-21-2012, 03:23 PM
Conservative media (probably going back to Bill Buckley) have been pushing the party further and further to the right for years- criticizing anybody who tries to move towards the middle. This is a problem for conservatives since it puts more voters in the "not one of us" groups who will decide who wins elections.

BuddyRey
03-21-2012, 04:02 PM
I was a Progressive, so I listened on Sirius to all the lefty talkers like Thom Hartmann and Ed Schultz. I know...I know. :::hangs head in shame and self-revulsion:::

bunklocoempire
03-21-2012, 04:04 PM
Did you listen to conservative talk radio or watch Fox News before supporting Ron Paul?

Yes. And I watched/listened to PBS/NPR too.

They did not lead me to Ron, if anything they perpetuated fear and outrage/grandstanding/sensationalism -distractions. It was only after being introduced to Paul's beliefs that I could clearly see the manipulation. The converts to liberty I've dealt with personally have gone through the same realization.

It is that 'half-truth is worse than a whole lie' business coupled with emotional reaction and little reason.

Certainly this is not the case with everyone.

AuH20
03-21-2012, 06:14 PM
Conservative media (probably going back to Bill Buckley) have been pushing the party further and further to the right for years- criticizing anybody who tries to move towards the middle. This is a problem for conservatives since it puts more voters in the "not one of us" groups who will decide who wins elections.

Right? More like a never-ending push towards the mushy middle. If the Republican party and the conservative movement had actually moved right, we'd be in a much better situation.

Liberty74
03-21-2012, 06:22 PM
The talk radio neocons and the Fox News pundits for the most part are....

FAKES

I use to listen to all of them. I had considered myself a ditto head since 1992. It turns out everything those warmongers have been preaching (limited government, less taxation, less spending, liberty, freedom, etc.) has been a punch of BULL.