PDA

View Full Version : MN-Man arrested, held without bail and under house arrest for not siding his house.

Anti Federalist
03-21-2012, 12:12 PM
Oh, and this story also illustrates the private prison complex in action, yet again.

The GPS tracking device and monitoring for his house arrest is provided by a private company.

Huzzah for the "For Profit" police/surveillance state.

Burnsville Man Arrested, Jailed for Siding Code Violation

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s2542281.shtml

A Burnsville man on his way to work was arrested and thrown in jail without bond, and then subjected to electronic home monitoring.

But it wasn’t for drugs or a DWI or some other major crime.

Burnsville city leaders say Mitch Faber’s dealings with the law all stem from his failure to properly put up siding on his house.

Yep, siding.

Faber says he had every intention of completing the stucco and decorative rock project on his home but he ran into money troubles when the economy soured. Burnsville leaders say they had no choice to enforce the law.

Here’s how a simple code violation spiraled into a criminal case:

Mitch and his wife Jean say it all began back in 2007 when they received a letter from the city of Burnsville saying, in part, "you must complete the siding of your home."

“We were in the process of finishing,” Mitch insists. “This wasn't something that we were trying to avoid doing.”

But in 2009 there were two more warning letters, and in 2010 yet another--this time requiring Faber to appear in court. Burnsville leaders provided 5 Eyewitness News with these 2010 photos of the Fabers' home as proof there was a problem.

“I was expecting maybe a $700 fine,” Faber said. Instead he was given an ultimatum -- finish the siding or go to jail.

So Mitch returned to his house and he and Jean say they spent about $12,000 putting a stucco façade over the plywood exterior. They thought they were finally in compliance. They were wrong.

Faber was then taken into custody in November 2011 after Burnsville inspectors ruled the work was still not satisfactorily completed. A warrant for his arrest had been issued when, according to the city, Faber failed to turn himself in because the house was still not up to code. Faber is adamant it was. Regardless, what came next, he says, was absolutely uncalled for and humiliating.

“I'm walking around in a green and white jump suit, I had to shower in front of a sheriff, I was shackled, my wrists were handcuffed to my waist — for siding.”

“It was insane,” said Jean. “Absolutely insane.”

After two days locked up, a judge agreed Mitch should be released but required him to submit to electronic home monitoring. In Dakota County, that process requires participants — no matter what their crimes -- to blow into a drug and alcohol device every time an alarm goes off.

“They could call me at 2 in the morning and they did,” Faber said.

Burnsville city leaders would not grant 5 Eyewitness News an interview about the Faber case but in an email from Communications Coordinator Marty Doll, he wrote, “”The city feels it provided Mr. Faber ample opportunity (nearly four years) to remedy the situation before issuing a citation…the city’s practice is to only issue citations for property maintenance issues (such as this one) as a last resort. In this case, the city determined a citation was the next appropriate course of action. Once the citation was issued, the matter had essentially left the city’s hands and entered the hands of the court system.”

5 Eyewitness News also called Dakota County Corrections as well as Midwest Monitoring (the company in charge of the electronic home monitoring) but calls were not returned. In a letter dated February 21, 2012, Dakota County Attorney Jim Backstrom wrote the Fabers, “This was a prosecution initiated by the city of Burnsville through their privately-retained city prosecutor. The County Attorney has no oversight or supervision over city prosecutors…While it was a district court judge who heard this case and made decisions pertaining thereto, judges are employed by the state of Minnesota and not Dakota County.”

The Fabers point to what they call far more glaring code violations outside other houses in their neighborhood. They’d like to know why they were targeted and others weren’t.

“It’s selective enforcement,” said Jean.

(Of COURSE it's selective enforcement dear, that's what HAPPENS in a police state. Now that you've denounced your neighbors, I'll bet they are living in fear now as well, waiting for the arrests and raids. Which is, of course, the point. Let me guess, all of this is a shock to you isn't it? You never really paid much attention to those political "kooks" out there, hollering on the edge of the lunatic fringe, did you? You thought you still lived in a "free country" didn't you? *sigh* I hope it all works out for you folks, I really do. - AF)

Most importantly, though, the Fabers say Burnsville made a mockery of an otherwise law-abiding man.

Asked Mitch, “What did you accomplish other than wasting the city's money, the county's money, our money, and then all the mental and emotional anguish? What did you accomplish?”

RiseAgainst
03-21-2012, 04:54 PM
The worst part of the story?

"But it wasn’t for drugs or a DWI or some other major crime."

The arrogance in uttering this line as though it were common sense.

And yes, MN is a nanny state extreme.

MikeStanart
03-21-2012, 05:09 PM
We should bring back tar and feathering.

TheTexan
03-21-2012, 05:15 PM
A Burnsville man on his way to work was arrested and thrown in jail without bond, and then subjected to electronic home monitoring.

But it wasn’t for drugs or a DWI or some other major crime.

Burnsville city leaders say Mitch Faber’s dealings with the law all stem from his failure to properly put up siding on his house.

Yep, siding.

Secession please.

TheTexan
03-21-2012, 05:17 PM
I mean seriously. How much longer are we going to tolerate this shit. It's getting ridiculous.

Spikender
03-21-2012, 05:23 PM
It's funny, really. I always look forward to Anti-Fed's posts, but then I also don't.

Well, at least I'm always up to date on the latest injustice in America.

There seriously has to be a tipping point in this country. How much longer can people put up with this tyranny? Jailed and monitored for siding? FOR SIDING?! I feel like I'm living in some sort of movie sometimes, a movie about a first-rate police state that the people are too stupid to do anything about, and the few who do care are all talking about it on internet forums.

The irony is not lost on me.

AFPVet
03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
How could failure to put siding on your house be a criminal offense? Civil ordinance infraction, yes, criminal... hell no! This is officially Nazi Germany folks. How much longer before it is illegal to be a Christian? It's already illegal to have Bible study in one California locality. http://www.californiality.com/2011/09/home-bible-study-illegal-without-permit.html

The One
03-21-2012, 05:29 PM
The house had no siding.

NO FUCKING SIDING I SAID!!!

That's essentially public nudity...and you guys don't think someone should be arrested and held responsible???

TheTexan
03-21-2012, 05:36 PM
By the way, to anyone still doubting that our country doesn't want freedom, consider this. There's at least 7 people in the tyranny chain of command that could have prevented this from happening.

The person who first reported it could have chosen not to report it.

The city official who received the report could have thrown it away.

The city official who gave him the citation could have chosen not to.

The city prosecutor could have thrown out the case.

The officer who arrested him could have refused to arrest him.

The sheriff who jailed him could have let him go.

The district court judge, could have dropped the case altogether, but instead put him on house arrest.

Seven people. They all felt they had the right or the duty to jail this man because his home wasn't pretty. All of them.

flightlesskiwi
03-21-2012, 05:37 PM
I mean seriously. How much longer are we going to tolerate this shit. It's getting ridiculous.

but, but but!! we live in a democracy!!

mob rulez.

/s.

NULLIFY NULLIFY NULLIFY

AFPVet
03-21-2012, 05:38 PM
By the way, to anyone still doubting that our country doesn't want freedom, consider this. There's at least 7 people in the tyranny chain of command that could have prevented this from happening.

The district court judge, could have dropped the case altogether, but instead put him on house arrest.

Seven people. They all felt they had the right or the duty to jail this man because his home wasn't pretty. All of them.

Damn straight!

Anti Federalist
03-21-2012, 05:53 PM
+rep

The people do not want freedom and mostly never have.

They want to be fed, entertained and exercise petty power over their fellow man.

Thus it always has been throughout history.

Before, for the small percentage of those that did want freedom, they could leave, for unexplored lands, or the sea.

That is no longer possible.

If we are to have freedom, we must be willing to take it, and god damn the petty tyrants and slack jawed apathetic, who would stand in the way, to protect their own narrow self interests: for safety, for tradition or for profit.

bunklocoempire
03-21-2012, 05:57 PM
Burnsville only had 3 reported rapes in '11 and it shows only one rape in January '12.

The non-siding crimes are clearly a problem for that community.
http://www.ci.burnsville.mn.us/index.aspx?NID=437

..To relocate to Burnsville....

...violent rape every 3-4 months, but on the other hand all the houses look pretty spiffy... decisions, decisions...

Not making light of rape, just placing 'non-siding crimes' in context.

truelies
03-21-2012, 06:10 PM

What the folk of Minnesota do to eachother under colour of 'law' matters to me not at all However when they stick there noses into the affairs of Kansas then those noses need to be shall we say cutoff.

mrsat_98
03-21-2012, 06:27 PM
We should bring back tar and feathering.

Here is seven we can start with.

ItsTime
03-21-2012, 06:28 PM
That will teach him to be poor.

asurfaholic
03-21-2012, 07:57 PM
:eek:

Anti Federalist
03-22-2012, 01:26 PM
Bump

evadmurd
03-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Agenda 21 and Sustainable Development running rampant.

kahless
03-22-2012, 01:40 PM
This is a prime example of the importance of liberty folks concentrating in regions like for example a "Free State Project" or the "American Redoubt". Since this is what happens when you live in Communist authoritarian town/state are surrounded by Communist or Progressive neighbors. These same people probably call themselves Democrats, Liberal, Republican or Conservative.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/minn...g-on-his-home/
“I’m walking around in a green and white jump suit, I had to shower in front of a sheriff, I was shackled, my wrists were handcuffed to my waist — for siding,” Faber told KSTP. After two days, a judge released Faber but still required him to submit to electronic home monitoring.

https://www.facebook.com/cityofburnsville
the City received multiple complaints from residents regarding the condition of the property in question

mitchjeanfaber
03-22-2012, 01:51 PM
We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the people who care enough to post and to comment. We felt so bullied, belittled, humiliated and alone. It seems the American people have about had enough.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
Thomas Jefferson

Mitch and Jean

HOLLYWOOD
03-22-2012, 01:52 PM
The State, "You're under arrest for being too poor"

I'm starting to see a lot of this in the local/state newsprint. Tickets and arrest because people cannot afford registration/insurance for vehicles anymore.

Anti Federalist
03-22-2012, 02:05 PM
From the OP, that I wanted to re-emphasize:

Of COURSE it's selective enforcement dear, that's what HAPPENS in a police state. Now that you've denounced your neighbors, I'll bet they are living in fear now as well, waiting for the arrests and raids. Which is, of course, the point. Let me guess, all of this is a shock to you isn't it? You never really paid much attention to those political "kooks" out there, hollering on the edge of the lunatic fringe, did you? You thought you still lived in a "free country" didn't you? *sigh* I hope it all works out for you folks, I really do. - AF

slamhead
03-22-2012, 02:22 PM
I am facing a court trial next month on a citation I never received nor was notified of involving an unlicensed dead dog. I had to go to court this week to petition the court to vacate a civil assessment and pending warrant. Since I was never notified of the violation properly (they sent the citation to an address I no longer lived at), I was hoping the court would just dismiss my case as the original citation allowed 10 days to correct the dog license, which I can no longer do because my dog is dead.

This all stemmed from a verbal "warning" over the phone I received back in August while I was out to dinner. Sad thing is they turned this verbal warning into an actual citation 2 1/2 months later via an affidavit from an entirely different animal control officer than the one I had spoken to back in August. I was facing $875 fine prior to having the civil assessment vacated. I am still facing a $550 fine for a ticket I have never seen nor have the ability to correct the ticket. This is what happens when the counties and state run out of money. They take your money by force and threats of violence.

Origanalist
03-22-2012, 02:23 PM
We are overwhelmed by and grateful for the people who care enough to post and to comment. We felt so bullied, belittled, humiliated and alone. It seems the American people have about had enough.

"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent."
Thomas Jefferson

Mitch and Jean

Somebody should go to jail over this, but it isn't you.

RiseAgainst
03-22-2012, 02:40 PM

Thomas Jefferson

Mitch and Jean

Mitch and Jean,

You are most certainly not alone. Not sure if you'll ever check back, but I am in the area and if there's anything I can do to help, send me a PM.

Danke
03-22-2012, 04:48 PM
Mitch and Jean,

You are most certainly not alone. Not sure if you'll ever check back, but I am in the area and if there's anything I can do to help, send me a PM.

Ditto.

Czolgosz
03-22-2012, 05:18 PM

Have you noted the quantity of respondents willing to stand up and assert their Constitutionally protected rights?

The answer: in perpetuity.

TheTexan
03-22-2012, 05:33 PM
Have you noted the quantity of respondents willing to stand up and assert their Constitutionally protected rights?

The answer: in perpetuity.

They will tolerate it as much as they like. We don't have to. (Secession please)

SpicyTurkey
03-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Mitch and Jean,

Great man. +rep

TheTexan
03-22-2012, 05:35 PM
I am facing a court trial next month on a citation I never received nor was notified of involving an unlicensed dead dog. I had to go to court this week to petition the court to vacate a civil assessment and pending warrant. Since I was never notified of the violation properly (they sent the citation to an address I no longer lived at), I was hoping the court would just dismiss my case as the original citation allowed 10 days to correct the dog license, which I can no longer do because my dog is dead.

This all stemmed from a verbal "warning" over the phone I received back in August while I was out to dinner. Sad thing is they turned this verbal warning into an actual citation 2 1/2 months later via an affidavit from an entirely different animal control officer than the one I had spoken to back in August. I was facing $875 fine prior to having the civil assessment vacated. I am still facing a $550 fine for a ticket I have never seen nor have the ability to correct the ticket. This is what happens when the counties and state run out of money. They take your money by force and threats of violence.

That sucks. My advice to you: ignore the ticket, and move to NH asap. :)

mitchjeanfaber
03-22-2012, 08:39 PM
Mitch and I are touched beyond words for all the kindness, compassion and comments. We were bullied, belittled and humiliated on behalf of the millions of Americans who also suffer under what has become a tyranny. We are the most unlikely and reluctant "activists" you will ever meet. Can we please be kind to one another? Help one another? Saddest of all is that we learned today that Burnsville officials continue to believe they are in the right and have done nothing wrong. Sometimes, it's just best to say, I am so sorry. How can I make it right?

Anti Federalist
03-22-2012, 08:45 PM
Mitch and I are touched beyond words for all the kindness, compassion and comments. We were bullied, belittled and humiliated on behalf of the millions of Americans who also suffer under what has become a tyranny. We are the most unlikely and reluctant "activists" you will ever meet. Can we please be kind to one another? Help one another? Saddest of all is that we learned today that Burnsville officials continue to believe they are in the right and have done nothing wrong. Sometimes, it's just best to say, I am so sorry. How can I make it right?

Glad to see you here, and, as I stated before, I hope everything works out for you folks.

If there is anything that I can do to help, PM me.

foti0622
03-22-2012, 08:58 PM
im sorry if i was him i would of lost it. thats insane to go to jail because of siding its ur house wtf is going on here these rules are crazy. idk i have a neighbor and she always calls the city on me even when i am doing my own work in my house, i had the city come to my house about doing my own roof saying i need a permit i was like yea ok im working on my own house and i need to pay u to work on it i told em to go f--- urself and they were not happy with my response called the cops on me but they couldnt do anything to me i was in the right