PDA

View Full Version : Put holes in overpass signs?

jrich4rpaul
11-14-2007, 07:39 AM
From the signs I've seen put up on overpasses, it seems like the wind gets the better of them and at least one of the ties gets broken on the corners, making them just a half-readable flap in the wind.

My idea is, could putting a hole/s in the signs possibly prevent this, giving room for the air to pass through it rather than against it? Something to ponder.

noxagol
11-14-2007, 07:41 AM
From the signs I've seen put up on overpasses, it seems like the wind gets the better of them and at least one of the ties gets broken on the corners, making them just a half-readable flap in the wind.

My idea is, could putting a hole/s in the signs possibly prevent this, giving room for the air to pass through it rather than against it? Something to ponder.

Possible.

tony.angelo
11-14-2007, 08:25 AM
Putting holes in signs is a double edged sword. It does prevent some tearing, but also creates a weak point for more ripping to occur. I used to work for a sign/banner maker and the wisdom is to put wind holes if the client asks for them, but don't offer it. It creates as many problems as it solves.

McDermit
11-14-2007, 10:19 AM
While we were in Mexico and Honduras last week, we saw tons of banners with wind holes. Many were professional billboard type banners that were either tied between two trees or tied to 2-3 mounted poles. Nearly every banner had a bunch of small v shaped holes cut into them.