PDA

View Full Version : Signwaving jinx...What to do?

wgadget
11-14-2007, 07:35 AM
Well, it seems that the city needs a permit from all of us signwavers. The permit is free, but the problem is it asks for a lot of personal information, including our social security numbers. Does anyone know the legality of asking for our SSN's just to peacably assemble on a street corner?

Any lawyers out there?

Hook
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Contact the Institute for Justice at www.ij.org. They deal with this all the time.

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 07:40 AM
Good question.

Hook
11-14-2007, 07:42 AM
It is clearly unconstitutional.

Ozwest
11-14-2007, 07:46 AM
Good on ya wgadget, I'm the same as you. It is impossible to keep all your details private from the government and institutions, but I prefer to keep data collection on my personals at a bare minimun, and make a conscious effort to do so.

Mark Rushmore
11-14-2007, 07:52 AM
What state?

ConstitutionGal
11-14-2007, 07:53 AM
Get someone to go with you to get the permit that's old enough to have a social security card that has "Not to be used for identification purposes" on the front of it and isn't afraid to make a few waves. It's actually quite a bit of fun to watch government officials squirm when this is pointed out to them. I had a WORLD of fun when our state began asking for SS#s to renew and/or get a driver's license! I actually got my DL without having to give them my SS# because no one there could explain to me how the federal government said (by printing it on my SS card) that it couldn't be used to ID but the state government was saying it could!

wgadget
11-14-2007, 08:08 AM
What state?

Georgia...city, Kennesaw

LibertyEagle
11-14-2007, 08:10 AM
It used to be illegal, but with the Patriot Acts, who knows?

uncloned21
11-14-2007, 08:13 AM
Georgia...city, Kennesaw

Right up the street! :D

I say refuse to get a permit. Did a LE officer ask you for one or something?

Roxi
11-14-2007, 08:36 AM
so what do they walk up to all the people with will work for food signs and ask them for their permit???

foofighter20x
11-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Civil disobedience? :D

wgadget
11-14-2007, 09:39 AM
Right up the street! :D

I say refuse to get a permit. Did a LE officer ask you for one or something?

Yes, we were getting ready to call it quits after two hours of successful sign waving and passing out slimjims, when a cop pulled up to tell us we need a permit. My guess is some Hillary supporter called them onto the scene.

uncloned21
11-14-2007, 09:48 AM
Yes, we were getting ready to call it quits after two hours of successful sign waving and passing out slimjims, when a cop pulled up to tell us we need a permit. My guess is some Hillary supporter called them onto the scene.

Oh yeah I'm in the Cobb meetup since my girlfriend lives up there. I see the discussions, sounds like you guys love to get together! That area has massive traffic volume, I'll join up as soon as I have a chance, I'm about an hour drive away.

Did the officer tell you to leave because you did not have the permit? Is there a law that says you aren't allowed to carry a sign down the sidewalk now? :eek:

Mark Rushmore
11-14-2007, 09:52 AM
As best I can tell it might actually help your case if you were handing out literature and the sign-waving was incidental to that, but I'm not qualified to speak on Georgia law. Did the LEO tell you what the penalty for not having a permit would be - just curious.

Dorfsmith
11-14-2007, 09:53 AM

I was told that in my city you need a permit if you have more than 7 people at a protest/rally. We have about 10 people show up every week and nobody has complained. In fact, the cops actually give us the thumbs up when they drive by :cool: