PDA

View Full Version : "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."

aGameOfThrones
03-20-2012, 04:04 PM
Introduced by Joe Baca (D-California), the "Violence in Video Games Labeling Act," (H.R. 4204), would require all games rated E, E10+, T, M, and AO by the Entertainment Software Ratings Board to carry a stamp that reads, "WARNING: Exposure to violent video games has been linked to aggressive behavior."

Frank Wolf (R. Virginia) is co-sponsoring the bill.

"Just as we warn smokers of the health consequences of tobacco, we should warn parents--and children--about the growing scientific evidence demonstrating a relationship between violent video games and violent behavior," Wolf said.

A representative from the Entertainment Software Association issued the following statement to GameSpot:

"Unfortunately, Representative Baca’s facially unconstitutional bill--which has been introduced to no avail in each of six successive Congressional sessions, beginning in 2002--needlessly concerns parents with flawed research and junk science. Numerous medical experts, research authorities, and courts across the country, including the United States Supreme Court, exhaustively reviewed the research Representative Baca uses to base his bill and found it lacking and unpersuasive. Independent scientific researchers found no causal connection between video games and real life violence."

http://www.gamespot.com/news/lawmakers-seeking-warning-labels-for-most-games-6367177

Lishy
03-20-2012, 04:15 PM
Fuck you! I'll be playing Brutal Doom and releasing Doom mods without your damn regulations or permission!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLKZhu_dgxA

Don't expect warnings from my own FPS game, or Horror Vn! ;)

Anyways, this is a stupid waste of tax money! It wasn't even proven, and it only hurts the image of the video game community! (Might as well put it on comics, movies, tv shows, even novels as old as Dracula...)

Cabal
03-20-2012, 04:16 PM
When are we going to mandate a warning label on government?

Lishy
03-20-2012, 04:19 PM
"WARNING: Practice of limitless government has been linked to violent wars."

dannno
03-20-2012, 04:20 PM
When are we going to mandate a warning label on government?

When we re-instate the Constitution :confused:

soulcyon
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
"WARNING: Practice of limitless government has been linked to violent wars."this made me smile

aGameOfThrones
03-20-2012, 04:27 PM
When we re-instate the Constitution :confused:

"WARNING: Exposure to the Constitution has been linked to Rebellious behavior."

James Madison
03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
I'm playing a 'violent video game' right now. Do I feel more aggressive? Nope. I feel like eating dinner.

kuckfeynes
03-20-2012, 04:36 PM
Should be "Warning, kids with aggressive tendencies like violent video games. Shocker, we know."

ronpaulfollower999
03-20-2012, 04:38 PM
BS. I played violent video games when I was a kid and i dont have a violent bone in my body. I once cried when i killed a fly.

I just know how to separate reality from fiction.

aGameOfThrones
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
I'm playing a 'violent video game' right now. Do I feel more aggressive? Nope. I feel like eating dinner.

You know who else is playing a Violent Game right now? The Government!

"WARNING: Exposure to a gun and a badge has been linked to Puppy killings."

Demigod
03-20-2012, 04:43 PM
Yes and having the governments boot on our throats 90% of the time just makes us gay.

heavenlyboy34
03-20-2012, 04:45 PM
BS. I played violent video games when I was a kid and i dont have a violent bone in my body. I once cried when i killed a fly.

+1

Cabal
03-20-2012, 05:01 PM
I play violent games all the time. I watch violent movies too.

The non-aggression principle is dogma to me.

So much for that theory?

phill4paul
03-20-2012, 05:28 PM
And then they don't. And then they do. And then they don't.
Studies.:rolleyes: Red meat anyone?

ClydeCoulter
03-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Should be "Warning, kids with aggressive tendencies like violent video games. Shocker, we know."

"But not all kids that play violent video games have aggressive tendencies".

Kinda like:
All violets are flowers, but not all flowers are violets :)

awake
03-20-2012, 05:53 PM
Video games are a method of non-violent release of aggression - the exact opposite of what the government study factories claim to find. However joining the army and flying to the middle east to "liberate" [kill] other people is a violent release of aggression. The former is attacked for causing aggression and violent tendencies; the latter is praised for spreading the holy word of "democracy" and "keeping the peace".

Just another "scientific study" that makes talking out of one's azz respectable.

onlyrp
03-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Michael Moore already debunked this bullshit 10 years ago.

awake
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Michael Moore needs a good debunking...

Lafayette
03-20-2012, 06:11 PM

Me too! After dinner i may play a bit more, then perhaps a short nap, i wanna be up for the Tonight Show. I hear they have a real dangerous guy on tonight.

Philosophy_of_Politics
03-20-2012, 06:17 PM
Just pre-ordered Diablo 3. So, they can go to hell.

Marenco
03-20-2012, 06:48 PM
The Government is way more violent than a video game ever will. I used to play quite a few violent video games in my childhood and i never had that kind of behavior, I've always been a calm and quiet person.

Lishy
03-20-2012, 06:49 PM
In all seriousness, I can understand how playing too may video games can lead to paranoia or OCD-like tendencies. But that should be common sense than require a label.

Give me liberty
03-20-2012, 06:53 PM
I blamed violent video games since i was a kid and i disagree that video games are linked with Aggressive behavior.

dannno
03-20-2012, 07:00 PM
In all seriousness, I can understand how playing too may video games can lead to paranoia or OCD-like tendencies. But that should be common sense than require a label.

Or maybe people who are prone to paranoia and OCD-like tendencies tend to like to play a lot of video games :confused:

fisharmor
03-20-2012, 07:11 PM

I'm becoming convinced that it's the opposite effect they're trying to prevent.
Those of us who have played a realistically violent video game (or viewed a good number of realistically violent movies) may stop to ponder at some point just how totally sweet it would be to actually go gun down a bunch of strangers.... and come to the opposite conclusion than the one our handlers wish for us.

In short, exposure to fictional violence may SENSITIZE people to what it means to fly over to a foreign land and literally crack open the skulls of 19 year olds we don't know and who did us no wrong.

Can't have that, now.

Lishy
03-20-2012, 07:14 PM
Or maybe people who are prone to paranoia and OCD-like tendencies tend to like to play a lot of video games :confused:
Well, the case for paranoia has to do with the fact that if you spend hours upon hours with an experience where anything which moves is harmful, then I would argue they could make someone paranoid. However, the case is not even large enough to require mandates or conclusions of ANY sort!

pcosmar
03-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I wonder what caused aggressive behavior before Video games?

or before TV for that matter.

Voluntary Man
03-20-2012, 07:43 PM
'Who's Gaming Who?'

http://www.corbettreport.com/episode-216-whos-gaming-who/

aGameOfThrones
03-20-2012, 07:44 PM
I wonder what caused aggressive behavior before Video games?

or before TV for that matter.

Tyrants! Books about Tyrants.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. — Such has been the patient sufferance of these Colonies; and such is now the necessity which constrains them to alter their former Systems of Government. The history of the present King of Great Britain is a history of repeated injuries and usurpations, all having in direct object the establishment of an absolute Tyranny over these States. To prove this, let Facts be submitted to a candid world.

After reading this^^^ I feel pretty aggressive when I see what this current form of "government" does to our Rights.

pcosmar
03-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Well,, Honey said I may get Cataclysm in a few days (I have been a very good boy) So I may be playing again soon.
Ya'all better watch out.

WilliamShrugged
03-20-2012, 07:56 PM
Video games give me a release from a government that continues to fuck me.

ClydeCoulter
03-20-2012, 08:37 PM
I play games from time to time. It makes me really hate war and aggression. It does give a perspective of how uterly wasteful of life and property it is. Destroying things that a living being built. Many here in America don't know what building a home, orchard, garden, etc. is. We just sell and buy a new one. Well, I built this one with my hands and I hope a bomb never destroys it, but who knows.

In the game, I know it's not real, but I can take some frustration out on the pixels :)

Philhelm
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
I want a video game in which you can rebel against a tyrannical government, and completely and utterly destroy the tyrants.

Okie RP fan
03-21-2012, 08:16 AM
I was playing GTA when I was in fifth grade...

The best decision my parents made? Probably not. But, they monitored and made sure I wasn't copying anything from the game.

Lishy
03-21-2012, 11:40 AM
I want a video game in which you can rebel against a tyrannical government, and completely and utterly destroy the tyrants.
Xenogears.

The parallels between modern day America, and Solaris are amazing...

It's an old PS1 RPG you can buy on PSN. Surprisingly enough, the game is "offensive" by today's standards and was nearly banned because the objective of the game is to KILL GOD! (Well, not "god" himself.. It's more like another entity which seals the real god in physical form, but it has all the bible references to parallel Deus and Yahweh...)

Apparently at some point in development, it was also Chrono Trigger 2. But then it became FF7 until FF7 split into its own game.. Xenogears was really all over the place until it became its own epic adventure, and that was the best freaking decision they ever made! The writing is soooo good, some people say it has the best video game plot EVER made! If Ron Paul had to play a video game, it'd be between this, and MGS4!

Seriously, Xenogears is so damn political, most people can't even keep up!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P51JZXtxjHM

My only complaint is that sometimes the disc audio gets messed up for FMVs depending on its condition or the ISO rip. So in the video for example, audio is not synced with the animation during the FMV.

Hitman83
03-21-2012, 11:44 AM

+rep and I smiled.

Jingles
03-21-2012, 11:54 AM
I've played violent video games and watched R rated movies since I was 5. I have never been in a fight, I am completely against the initiation of force against others, and couldn't imagine physically harming another individual.

brushfire
03-21-2012, 11:58 AM
Oh brother... I bet a study on chocolate milk would conclude that consumption of chocolate milk makes people more violent.

CaptainAmerica
03-21-2012, 11:59 AM

^this