PDA

View Full Version : So What Is Government? A must watch video!

Liberty74
03-19-2012, 07:23 PM
This is one of the best videos trying to explain what government is. It is classic in the sense because the average voter is just like the human in the video. They know certain acts are bad like stealing, killing, etc. Yet, the average voter (sheep and cattle) keep electing "politicians" that do exactly that.

Highly recommend to spread far and wide (bookmark for future reference). It goes to the heart of Ron Paul and his message. I laughed my ass off at certain points because the alien uses common sense to try and understand what government is. We are up against this mentality of the average voter who thinks government is good and does great things.

Ron Paul is incorruptible!!!

What is government explained below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUS1m5MSt9k

Philosophy_of_Politics
03-19-2012, 07:30 PM
I - am - government.

Muwahid
03-19-2012, 08:00 PM
Government is necessary if you want to live in society we just argue the case for small non-intrusive government. Just because our politicians are owned and the masses are asleep doesn't make government a bad concept it just means people need to be educated and not let a potential monster like government get out of control.

Algorres
03-19-2012, 08:08 PM
I loved this video

PaulConventionWV
03-19-2012, 08:51 PM
This is one of the best videos trying to explain what government is. It is classic in the sense because the average voter is just like the human in the video. They know certain acts are bad like stealing, killing, etc. Yet, the average voter (sheep and cattle) keep electing "politicians" that do exactly that.

Highly recommend to spread far and wide (bookmark for future reference). It goes to the heart of Ron Paul and his message. I laughed my ass off at certain points because the alien uses common sense to try and understand what government is. We are up against this mentality of the average voter who thinks government is good and does great things.

Ron Paul is incorruptible!!!

What is government explained below...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EUS1m5MSt9k

I resent the secular implications in this video: that we "just know" some things are morally wrong. You can't "just know" these things. We cannot "evolve" to develop these concepts because morality is not a product of the human mind, like this is implying. If it were, then morality would be different for each person.

I know you will argue by saying it is mutually beneficial for us to behave in certain ways, but this blurs the line between what is moral and should be punished (by a private entity or even individual action) and what is acceptable. You may say the market would determine these things, but then morality isn't really an absolute standard if it is subject to popular opinion and change when the tide of belief turns. It also assumes that we can determine morality from logic, when in fact, this is impossible. What is logical doesn't determine what's right or wrong. What is the ultimate goal of logic - to further the human kind ('species' is an abused term)? What if someone doesn't care about life consequences and decides it's worth it to commit what we would call immoral acts if they don't believe they will suffer any consequences after they have enjoyed their stay on earth?

I'm not defending immoral acts by the state. My only quarrel is that you pretend to know some things are wrong and others are not, and that this concept of morality applies universally - when, in fact, you cannot determine this if you start with the assumption that we are all just things that crawled out of the slime and developed our own ideas about society. You cannot, therefore, "evolve" to the point where morality becomes an absolute standard. The video does not address this and, instead, just continues with these assumptions because it serves the purpose of arguing against the state in any form, a belief which many here do not hold.

In fact, this attitude is what allows for an abusive state to arise to enforce these arbitrary rules which we hold ourselves morally responsible for. It arises because make no distinction between the moral and immoral. We only say some things are common sense and should be enforced by the market. I have just pointed out the flaw in that.

Since I do believe in an absolute source for moral authority, which many of us call God, I do agree with the conclusions of this video, just not the premises used.

Also, this clearly doesn't belong in Grassroots Central.