noxagol
11-14-2007, 06:58 AM
Fuck the UN.

Oliver
11-14-2007, 07:06 AM
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/339403_webforum13.html

Fuck the UN.

What about actually reading the article? :confused:

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil -- U.S. control over how Internet addresses are assigned -- and thus how people around the world get access to e-mail and Web sites -- dominated discussions as a major U.N. conference on the Internet opened here Monday.

PatriotG
11-14-2007, 07:15 AM
The last thing you want is the U.N. getting involved, or even discussing, is the internet.
The last frontier of unpolluted information.
They always have an agenda, hidden or not.

The U.S. government, which funded much of the Internet's early development,
Correction, The american people, which funded much of the Internet's early development,

Would lead me to believe we have the control because we took the initiative?

Ive said it 100 times
today makes 101

U.S. out of UN
UN out of U.S.

PatriotG

noxagol
11-14-2007, 07:29 AM
What about actually reading the article? :confused:

The US has control because of the free market. Most of the internet is based out of the United States and most of the market is here. It makes sense. The moment government steps in to regulate it, we will lose and we will lose big.

I don't even want the government to step in to keep Net Neutrality the law of the land as it is now, albeit unofficially. If an ISP wants to do it through another means let them. If it is better, people will go to it, if it is worse, people will leave the company. That is why corporations are clamoring for government to regulate it because they want to put something in that customers do not want and they know that if they do it without everyone having to do it that they will lose a lot of money because of it, because it is not what people want. The way they want to move to will make them a lot more money though, and they will also control what we are able to see on the internet.

Free-market wins.

lucius
11-14-2007, 08:08 AM
UN--Innertubes...

Read the article, the UN is still fucked...in spreading democracy-TM...

pcosmar
11-14-2007, 08:46 AM
http://www.infowars.net/pictures/may2006/020506third_world_wide_web.jpg

Midnight77
11-14-2007, 09:31 AM
I'm scared about the possibility of our Government regulating the Internet. Now, the UN wants to get involved? I think not.

Ethek
11-14-2007, 09:43 AM
The US has control because of the free market. Most of the internet is based out of the United States and most of the market is here. It makes sense. The moment government steps in to regulate it, we will lose and we will lose big.

I don't even want the government to step in to keep Net Neutrality the law of the land as it is now, albeit unofficially. If an ISP wants to do it through another means let them. If it is better, people will go to it, if it is worse, people will leave the company. That is why corporations are clamoring for government to regulate it because they want to put something in that customers do not want and they know that if they do it without everyone having to do it that they will lose a lot of money because of it, because it is not what people want. The way they want to move to will make them a lot more money though, and they will also control what we are able to see on the internet.

Free-market wins.

Well, when we can do away with government backed monopolies (Cableco's and Teleco's) leveraging a limited infrastrucute already bought and paid with your tax money. I'll say net neutrality is something that is not nessicary.

However, we have government backed monopolies managing this infrastructure. For all practice purposes its closed to competition. So now we need government insurance that the medium is free for all to use. Having every competitor lay lines through every neighborhood is not realistic.

When a company controls the content and priority of information that people base arguments and decisions of everyday life on. Then they can effectively tell people what and how to think. This is especially important considering that the internet is just now becoming a source of ubiquitous information.

noxagol
11-14-2007, 11:28 AM
Well, when we can do away with government backed monopolies (Cableco's and Teleco's) leveraging a limited infrastrucute already bought and paid with your tax money. I'll say net neutrality is something that is not nessicary.

However, we have government backed monopolies managing this infrastructure. For all practice purposes its closed to competition. So now we need government insurance that the medium is free for all to use. Having every competitor lay lines through every neighborhood is not realistic.

When a company controls the content and priority of information that people base arguments and decisions of everyday life on. Then they can effectively tell people what and how to think. This is especially important considering that the internet is just now becoming a source of ubiquitous information.

Wired internet will soon be obsolete. Places are already working on broadband wireless. No need to run wires anywhere. Broadband wireless is to wired internet as cell phones are to land line phones.

LinearChaos
11-14-2007, 11:44 AM
Doesn't surprise me, the UN wants to control everything.

jamesmadison
11-14-2007, 11:48 AM
Forgot about this?

http://www.wired.com/science/discoveries/news/2006/04/70619