PDA

View Full Version : House Passes Bill to End Automatic Spending Increases

eduardo89
03-19-2012, 03:31 PM
House Passes Bill to End Automatic Spending Increases (http://www.thenewamerican.com/usnews/congress/10772-house-passes-bill-to-end-automatic-spending-increases)
The New American (http://thenewamerican.com)
WRITTEN BY MICHAEL TENNANT **
SUNDAY, 05 FEBRUARY 2012 18:15

For nearly four decades Congress has ensured that federal spending rises inexorably by guaranteeing that every budget item increases automatically each year. And woe to anyone who seeks merely to reduce these automatic increases, for he shall be labeled a heartless, slash-and-burn budget cutter!

Finally the House of Representatives is doing something about this fiscally irresponsible practice. On Friday that chamber passed, on a practically party-line vote, the Baseline Reform Act of 2012, which would do away with the automatic spending hikes and force federal agencies to justify any increases they seek.

“Only in Washington — with a $15 trillion national debt — would an automatic increase in spending be assumed each and every year,” House Budget Committee Chairman Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) said in a statement following the bill’s passage. “This is not what hardworking families and small businesses deserve from their government, and this reform will level the playing field for those who want to control Washington spending by removing the pro-spending bias in our budget process.”

Ron Paul was not present for the vote, but I assume he would have voted for it.

2young2vote
03-19-2012, 03:39 PM
"The legislation would eliminate the automatic increase. Budgeting would still be based on the current year’s budget, but it would not provide an automatic inflationary increase, according to the Congressional Budget Office."

So it basically does nothing. How about they eliminate the automatic budget based on the current year budget so every single agency has to be analyzed before it receives money?

I suppose this is better than nothing, barely. Too bad the senate will strike it down.

eduardo89
03-19-2012, 03:42 PM
"The legislation would eliminate the automatic increase. Budgeting would still be based on the current year’s budget, but it would not provide an automatic inflationary increase, according to the Congressional Budget Office."

So it basically does nothing. How about they eliminate the automatic budget based on the current year budget so every single agency has to be analyzed before it receives money?

I suppose this is better than nothing, barely. Too bad the senate will strike it down.

It's a tiny step in the right direction. I agree, though, every year's budget should start from 0.