PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul backer for State Supreme Court? (Washington)

sailingaway
03-19-2012, 12:55 PM
Ex-State Supreme Court Justice Richard Sanders, who has endorsed Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, is plotting a comeback to the bench with the charge that two potential opponents have run for “partisan office.”

In a letter to potential supporters, Sanders asks: “Should I run for reelection to the Court?” The controversy courting, libertarian-minded justice was defeated for reelection in 2010 by Justice Charlie Wiggins.

Sanders is likely to run for the seat of retiring Justice Tom Chambers. The race has already drawn two contenders, King County Superior Court Judge Bruce Hilyer and es-Pierce County Executive and prosecutor John Ladenburg.

Sanders hits both for past campaigns for executive-branch office as Democrats. Ladenburg lost a bid for Attorney General in 2004. Hilyer ran long ago for King County Executive, losing a tight race to Republican incumbent Tim Hill.

“The Supreme Court should not be a consolation prize for defeated partisan politicians, but a place for a dedicate member of a nonpartisan judiciary with principles and ideal independent of the government,” Sanders writes.

But Sanders himself served as a warmup act and warm endorser at Ron Paul’s Feb. 16th rally at the Doubletree Inn in Sea-Tac.

Sanders rose to endorse Paul and announce that he may run again for the State Supreme Court.

Ron Paul returned the compliment, declaring: “I hope to see him (Sanders) back on the Court.”

A champion of property rights, who frequently sided with defendants in criminal cases, Sanders went into the 2010 election as a strong favorite for reelection.

More at link: http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2012/03/19/ron-paul-backer-for-state-supreme-court/

surf
03-19-2012, 01:05 PM
i posted a letter he sent in the "liberty candidates" section. this guy is outstanding. i think he was the 2nd highest ranking elected libertarian in the country until losing last go around. he is our voice in Washington State and always on our side.