PDA

View Full Version : TheStreet.com article

Gee
06-19-2007, 01:26 PM
Its a fair article, and there is a link to a video on the last page
http://www.thestreet.com/_googlen/markets/commodities/10363490.html?cm_ven=GOOGLEN&cm_cat=FREE&cm_ite=NA

...and I think it brings up an important point. Ron Paul will never get nominated if he actually says, in a major debate or on national TV, that he wants to ditch the Federal Reserve and go back to the gold standard. Most people don't know what either of those things really mean, but many, including most entrepreneurs and bankers, believe the Fed is part of what keeps the economy from collapsing, ala Great Depression (and yes, I know the Fed caused the Great Depression). People are more willing to play around with abstract concepts of government and law like returning to the Constitution than they are to play around with their job and savings. No one who believes the Fed protects their savings (which it actually does do, to an extent, by being the lender of last resort) and their family's future will even think about voting for Paul. Yes the housing boom-bust hurt a lot of people, but most do not know it was Fed policies that started it.

It doesn't help that our central banking system employs so many economists, of course.

In my opinion, I think the only way Paul will be electable is if he states that he wishes to allow alternative currencies which may compete with the Fed. This is what he has said in a few interviews on how he'd hope to phase out the Fed, and I think this is the only message which will not set off alarm bells in anyone who is involved in banking, finance or economics. If they simply hear that Paul wishes to abolish the Fed, they may likely assume he wishes to do commit economic suicide by doing so overnight.

Anyways, I think all Ron Paul supporters who wish to get him elected should consider not telling people that he wishes to immediately close down the Fed. Allowing competition with them in the form of other currencies is the most sensible position, and leaves the decision in the hands of the individual, where it belongs.

angrydragon
06-19-2007, 01:31 PM
Ron says, he says it a lot, that ending the FED would be disastrous to the economy, he just wants to allow gold and silver to be legal tender.

jd603
06-19-2007, 01:42 PM
He said turning the key overnight would be harmful, that's true. However we can indeed abolish the Federal Reserve as we know it. I think Ron would want to just change the system so they don't have as much control over our economy and thus our entire government!

Gee
06-19-2007, 01:51 PM
Ron says, he says it a lot, that ending the FED would be disastrous to the economy, he just wants to allow gold and silver to be legal tender.
Unfortunately a lot of the YouTube videos and such things talk about him wanting to abolish the Fed altogether. I think if we report Paul's true position, as well as the Fed policies which caused the housing bubble and Great Depression, will help spread his message without causing fear.

beermotor
06-19-2007, 01:55 PM
You just need to keep reiterating to everyone you know that the GOVERNMENT i.e. the Federal Reserve CAUSED the Great Depression; it did not save us from it.

angrydragon
06-19-2007, 01:58 PM
Unfortunately a lot of the YouTube videos and such things talk about him wanting to abolish the Fed altogether. I think if we report Paul's true position, as well as the Fed policies which caused the housing bubble and Great Depression, will help spread his message without causing fear.
Same material, just longer versions down the list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h41hG7n96kA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BR8kW5X5_VM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-C3d7Icqzw

ChooseLiberty
06-19-2007, 02:01 PM
Hmmm. I wonder what would happen if the Fed just continued with the Federal Reserve notes and the Treasury started issuing gold backed currency.

Also - the supposed problem of setting the price of gold they bring up is just silly.