PDA

View Full Version : How is the GOP better than the Democratic Party?

givemeliberty2010
03-17-2012, 05:36 PM
Who here isn't sick and tired of the Republican Party? What have they done right lately that isn't outdone by what they've done wrong? I know about how third parties never get anywhere, but why choose the GOP over the Democrats?

Is Ron Paul's strategy of building a base of liberty-advocates in the Republican Party showing any progress beyond the margins (e.g., Rand Paul in Kentucky, who isn't barely a libertarian)? I know not all of Ron Paul's supporters are or need to be libertarians, but we need to stay together. We don't want to be in a party in which the more conservative side can be pulled to the conservative movement and leave the social liberals with no one with whom to associate.

As with becoming Republicans, with Democrats things might be worse for those who have no liberal leanings.

Would the movement stand more firmly on its ideals if it went independent?

Keith and stuff
03-17-2012, 05:53 PM
Is Ron Paul's strategy of building a base of liberty-advocates in the Republican Party showing any progress beyond the margins (e.g., Rand Paul in Kentucky, who isn't barely a libertarian)? I know not all of Ron Paul's supporters are or need to be libertarians, but we need to stay together.

Where I live, it certainly is showing awesome progress. Republican Party leaders in NH tend to love liberty Republicans. For example, during one of the special elections for state Rep. last year, the only Republican that ran in the GOP Primary was a person that moved to NH because of the Free State Project. The GOP supported her with use of their names and information, volunteer day events and so on. In another state Rep. special election this year, the only Republican that ran for a person that moved here because of the FSP. I think the Republican mayor of the largest city in NH endorsed the chair of the city's Ron Paul campaign for his reelection as a state Rep.

Of course, the Republican Liberty Caucus cause here supports Ron Paul folks and FSPers with money and endorsements, as does the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. The New Hampshire Republican Volunteer Coalition has also supported free staters with volunteers. Also, one of the co-chairs of the Republican House Alliance, a Republican House caucus group that was chaired by the current Speak of the House 2 years ago, is a state Rep. that moved here because of the FSP. A state Rep. that endorsed Ron Paul is chair of a House committees A different state Rep. that is a liberty Republican is chair of a House committee. 2 additional Reps. that endorsed Ron Paul are House committee vice chairs. In total, 30 state Reps. endorsed Ron Paul, even though there are around 90 libertarian state Reps.

I could go on and on but at least in NH, the strategy is working amazingly. In all fairness, there are a few elected liberty Democrats. There have also been some close races were liberty Democrats barely lost. However, some of the Democratic Party leadership considers liberty supporters, free staters and tea party activists to be extremist and it seems like every few days some Democrat issues a report about that.