PDA

View Full Version : Tom Hanks: Naive? Evil? Or Under Duress?

anaconda
03-17-2012, 06:53 AM
Tom Hanks, the narrator of the recent Obama reelection campaign propaganda film is either naive, evil, or being unduly pressured in some way.

Which is it?

I mean, the guy is from Oakland. What gives?

Revolution9
03-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Bought and paid for is not an option in your poll. Other is not a good category for it.

Rev9

playboymommy
03-17-2012, 07:08 AM
I was just thinking about this. You'd think the actor that pushes to have our vets taken care of after all they've sacrificed would be educated on the issues of war and that contributing in any way to the likes of Obama is a smack in the face to all the vets that have died/fought in vain.

I don't for a minute believe he doesn't know the truth. With all the shout outs to Ron Paul from other celebs like Vince Vaughn and Juliette Lewis, surely Mr. Hanks would take the time to do his own research.

What is it with celebs like Hanks and GaGa who scream for justice and freedom then turn around and support those in power who take away our freedoms?

anaconda
03-17-2012, 07:10 AM
Bought and paid for is not an option in your poll. Other is not a good category for it.

Rev9

Bought and paid for probably qualifies as"evil."

PatriotOne
03-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Naive. He actually donates to Obama.

http://www.opensecrets.org/usearch/index.php?q=tom+hanks&cx=010677907462955562473%3Anlldkv0jvam&cof=FORID%3A11&searchButt_clean.x=23&searchButt_clean.y=37

Hanks, Tom
Beverly Hills,CA 90211

Self employed

4/26/2011

$2,500

Obama, Barack

Hanks, Tom J
Beverly Hills,CA 90211

Self employed

4/26/2011

$30,800

DNC Services Corp

bluesc
03-17-2012, 09:14 AM
I voted naive because I still like Forest Gump and I'm currently watching Apollo 13.

Damn you, Hanks.

The One
03-17-2012, 09:26 AM
I think that, given a choice, Tom Hanks would prefer the policies of President Woodrow Wilson over those of President Barack Obama. This is evidenced in the following clip of Mr. Hanks offering an impassioned apology to President Wilson after narrating the Obama campaign film:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wO_MYX_Oto0&feature=player_detailpage

narrowphoenix
03-17-2012, 09:27 AM
Just plain stupid

eduardo89
03-17-2012, 09:37 AM
I can't stand him.

steph3n
03-17-2012, 02:04 PM
Evil

Lishy
03-17-2012, 02:28 PM
Naive. Most actors are too busy to study politics to the levels we do, especially the famous ones. If you don't include Paul, Obama seems to please the liberals, and that's why he supports Obama.

hells_unicorn
03-17-2012, 03:44 PM
I voted naive. Tom Hanks strikes me as way too uninformed to be willfully evil, even if he does serve things evil.

bunklocoempire
03-21-2012, 03:52 AM
I've never talked to him. He's at least/most(?) ignorant. <-- Grammer Twin powers activate...

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
03-21-2012, 03:57 AM
I would say he is just brainwashed. Hollywood tends to do that to people.

BamaAla
03-21-2012, 04:07 AM
If I had to describe it, I'd say he has all of the intelligence of Forrest Gump with none of Forrest's endearing qualities.

Soldat_Amir
03-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Tom Hanks is very evil

bolil
03-21-2012, 01:05 PM
His environment, hollywood, probably corrupted him. I don't think Tom Hanks is evil, certainly compromised.

Schiff_FTW
03-21-2012, 01:09 PM
He's no Vince Vaughn, that's for sure.

http://i.ytimg.com/vi/p23stV9LD0I/0.jpg

Schiff_FTW
03-21-2012, 01:11 PM
edit: double post

SilentBull
03-21-2012, 01:13 PM
I don't think I'll ever watch another Tom Hanks movie. I really can't stand the guy anymore. The same goes for Matt Damon. I don't think it's "evil." It's just plain ignorance. These people are literally mentally retarded. They live in a fantasy world. They couldn't think logically if they tried. They're emotional people. They don't know how to do anything other than feel. They're idiotic hypocrites, and a huge part of why the world is so messed up. People who think logically will always be the minority.

bolil
03-21-2012, 01:15 PM
Yeah contagion was some shitty propaganda. I fell asleep.

playboymommy
03-21-2012, 01:18 PM
I don't think I'll ever watch another Tom Hanks movie. I really can't stand the guy anymore. The same goes for Matt Damon. I don't think it's "evil." It's just plain ignorance. These people are literally mentally retarded. They live in a fantasy world. They couldn't think logically if they tried. They're emotional people. They don't know how to do anything other than feel. They're idiotic hypocrites, and a huge part of why the world is so messed up. People who think logically will always be the minority.

Did Matt Damon support Obama as well? It seems as though the majority of them are too stupid to care or they're afraid of losing the security of the hand that feeds them.

cajuncocoa
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
What is it with celebs like Hanks and GaGa who scream for justice and freedom then turn around and support those in power who take away our freedoms?

It's not just celebs...it's a general issue. People/voters make excuses when "their" guy is in power. I watched as Dems were going through the roof when Bush was abusing his power and revoking our civil liberties. Then Obama gets in; nothing changes. Suddenly, those same Dems are twisting themselves into pretzels trying to explain away Obama's dirty deeds. And the GOP hypocrites criticize Obama for doing the same thing Bush/Cheney did before him.

The One
03-21-2012, 01:20 PM
Did Matt Damon support Obama as well? It seems as though the majority of them are too stupid to care or they're afraid of losing the security of the hand that feeds them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PajyQrpu26I&feature=player_detailpage

Schiff_FTW
03-21-2012, 01:25 PM
It's not just celebs...it's a general issue. People/voters make excuses when "their" guy is in power. I watched as Dems were going through the roof when Bush was abusing his power and revoking our civil liberties. Then Obama gets in; nothing changes. Suddenly, those same Dems are twisting themselves into pretzels trying to explain away Obama's dirty deeds. And the GOP hypocrites criticize Obama for doing the same thing Bush/Cheney did before him.

The liberal thought-process:

Bush runs 300 billion annual deficit - he is an irresponsible monster who is destroying our children's future.

Obama runs 1.5 trillion annual deficit - It's Bush's fault.

SilentBull
03-21-2012, 01:28 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3WIv7Xk8BjA

Matthew5
03-21-2012, 01:31 PM

People would actually give up watching movies they previously enjoyed because of this? Talk about isolationism. What if your favorite restaurant owner was a democract. Would you stop eating there? What if your CPA or doctor was a democrat? Would you stop using them?

SilentBull
03-21-2012, 01:35 PM
People would actually give up watching movies they previously enjoyed because of this? Talk about isolationism. What if your favorite restaurant owner was a democract. Would you stop eating there? What if your CPA or doctor was a democrat? Would you stop using them?

It's not just about being democrat. There are other celebrities that I don't mind watching. If I really can't stand someone because I think he's a moron and a big reason why the country is so messed up, why would I want to look at the person's face for 2 hours? It really depends on their level of moron-ness. I have friends who are liberal.

Schiff_FTW
03-21-2012, 01:36 PM

People make decisions all of the time based on politics. I don't go see a band I used to like anymore because the members came out strongly for Obama. They want to support a fascist, that's their right, but they're not getting anymore of my money.

Matthew5
03-21-2012, 01:38 PM
It's not just about being democrat. There are other celebrities that I don't mind watching. If I really can't stand someone because I think he's a moron and a big reason why the country is so messed up, why would I want to look at the person's face for 2 hours? It really depends on their level of moron-ness. I have friends who are liberal.

But besides being a Democratic party member in good standing (helps with fundraisers/donates), what "moronic" things has Tom Hanks done or said?

Justinfrom1776
03-21-2012, 01:41 PM
Vince Vaughn > Tom Hanks

SilentBull
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
But besides being a Democratic party member in good standing (helps with fundraisers/donates), what "moronic" things has Tom Hanks done or said?

Let's see...saying that WWII was all about racism against the Japanese?

flightlesskiwi
03-21-2012, 01:42 PM
maybe he's just looking to make an epic movie about the afghanistaniraqyemensyrialibyaugandasoontobeiran war. he's probably got first dibs on the production rights to the movie WW3...

libertygrl
03-21-2012, 01:52 PM
Hanks actually went to historian David McCullough to pursuade him to do a film version of his book John Adams. As executive producer of the award winning miniseries, you would think he would have picked up some knowledge along the way about what liberty really means. It's sad to see he didn't learn a thing. :(

Matthew5
03-21-2012, 02:17 PM
Let's see...saying that WWII was all about racism against the Japanese?

I think you're over simplifying what he said. There's lots of people that believe the Civil War was about race and it's still taught that way in many schools. I wouldn't call those people morons....ignorant maybe.

SilentBull
03-21-2012, 02:22 PM
I think you're over simplifying what he said. There's lots of people that believe the Civil War was about race and it's still taught that way in many schools. I wouldn't call those people morons....ignorant maybe.

In many cases it's ignorance. In some, it's their unwillingness or inability to actually think about the issue.

Brian4Liberty
03-21-2012, 02:49 PM

Oakland and Berkeley. In general, that would make someone either an anarchist or a communist. Hanks isn't an anarchist.

dannno
03-21-2012, 02:57 PM
I'd rather vote for Wilson.

anaconda
03-21-2012, 03:14 PM
Oakland and Berkeley. In general, that would make someone either an anarchist or a communist. Hanks isn't an anarchist.

I'm not sure I see the anarchist element in Oakland or Berkeley. Definitely the communist element.

The Free Hornet
03-21-2012, 03:47 PM

Jay Leno's treatment of Ron Paul and David Letterman's mistreatment - IMO - of Rand Paul, makes me think very differently about those two. I'm still a bigger fan of Letterman but the thrill is long gone and I almost never watch the guy. He is a better interviewer than Leno, but he may not be the better person (and that is not what I would have thought a couple years ago).

Movies require the suspension of disbelief, having some aged progressive really ruins it for me. Sometimes I can't see the character because there is a giant douchebag on screen.

Don't you just love Clint Eastwood playing the gruff old man in Gran Torino? I even like even the SNL skits mocking Clint.

The One
03-21-2012, 03:59 PM
I'd rather vote for Wilson.

Glad someone finally at least acknowledged that post. I put a lot of effort into it (at least 3 full minutes), and I thought it was fucking hilarious.

The background music in the clip is what really did it for me.

awake
03-21-2012, 04:10 PM
He has a price and this is his job. An actor's sole reason is to play a role for money. They are easily directed.

anaconda
03-23-2012, 06:54 PM
He has a price and this is his job. An actor's sole reason is to play a role for money. They are easily directed.

But I don't think he would narrate a promotional documentary for Romney for the same amount of money. So there must be more to the story.

Lishy
03-23-2012, 07:12 PM
But I don't think he would narrate a promotional documentary for Romney for the same amount of money. So there must be more to the story.

Yes.

Most people assume democrats are freedom fighters who fight for the weak <_<

PierzStyx
03-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Tom Hanks, the narrator of the recent Obama reelection campaign propaganda film is either naive, evil, or being unduly pressured in some way.

Which is it?

What gives is Californians are, by by large, stupid. For example, it is literally more expensive to go to a CSU than it is to attend Harvard or Yale, thanks in no small part to crippling taxation to fund the schools. Taxes are taken form the middle class and used to pay for the schools. Its not enough so the state taxes more, making it even less possible for you to pay for your own schooling, yet it isn't enough to fund every single thing they do in the university system so tuition raises. Tuition raises, so they tax more to have money to give which means you have even less to go to school on. There are still to many students and not enough money to pay for them all so they raise costs AGAIN and tax EVEN MORE to pay for it etc etc etc. Its a vicious cycle. So what are the student's of many of these schools proposing as a solution? "FREE college." They don't have to pay a cent. The State would pay for it all, for everyone. Do they NOT understand that the state would still make them pay for college, by leveling enormous taxes on them to pay for the "free" tuition and other costs (such as teacher paychecks)? It wouldn't be free, they'd just pay for someone else. Its idiotic. But that is California for you.

BlackTerrel
03-23-2012, 08:40 PM

Rev9

What does that even mean?

Tom Hanks is worth a few hundred million dollars nobody is paying him for anything.

Has Vince Vaughn career suffered since he endorsed Ron Paul?

The answer which is not in the poll is that "sometimes people have different opinions than you".

DerailingDaTrain
03-24-2012, 02:58 PM
What does that even mean?

Tom Hanks is worth a few hundred million dollars nobody is paying him for anything.

Has Vince Vaughn career suffered since he endorsed Ron Paul?

The answer which is not in the poll is that "sometimes people have different opinions than you".

Eh, I don't know, Hanks could've gotten some cash for the speaking role but I doubt he is being paid off to speak favorably about Obama.

TheNewYorker
03-24-2012, 07:47 PM
Naive. All of the stupid laws enacted by the elite like Obama do not effect millionaires like Hanks.