PDA

View Full Version : What If Ron Paul Had Won Maine?

opinionatedfool
03-16-2012, 07:43 PM
Just one of the crutches I keep hearing.

I posted this as a response in another thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?367499-Ron-Paul-campaign-bleeds-cash), but I'm making it a new thread so it gets more views.

Political Consultants $3,072,114, all that money spent on consultants and none of them could tell Ron to get to Maine earlier? None of them told him to call out the media bias with a vengeance? none of them were able to persuaded him to visit Vermont? no one said pander to the religious groups like Santorum does? I've said it since Maine, whomever is making the suggestions to Ron has got to go.

Going to Maine earlier would have created more attention from the other candidates to the state. If the polls were saying Ron Paul was winning, trust me Romney and Santy would have come running and the Grinch would have come rolling. It's hard to win something that you get cheated out of. I don't really get what is hard to understand about this.

Also, what is so hard to understand that this battle is for delegates and we will probably win the MOST delegates from Maine. There isn't a heck of a lot we can do about the establishment main stream media and GOP shoving that fact under the rug. We all know how hard we've tried to get noticed by the main stream media and how much good that has done. Anyone who thinks that we aren't being purposefully ignored and treated poorly by the MSM and the GOP establishment is either completely uninformed or delusional. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's easy to point fingers at the campaign, but whether we are officially part of the campaign or not, we ARE part of the campaign as grassroots supporters.

Do I do I blame the grassroots for lack of progress? No, some people have given the last few years of their life to make Ron Paul 2012 happen. Everyone is doing the best they can, including the very qualified people on the campaign. Are we fighting something that is easy to win? Heck no!! We may be fighting one of the hardest battles in American history. We are trying to change the country from the ground up and I'm gosh darn proud of the progress we are making and will continue to make! Let's roll and stop all this senseless finger pointing!

United we stand, divided we fall! We can't change the past, but we can change the future! Let's get behind the delegate strategy and pursue it for all it's worth and if we fail, we fail, but at least we can say we did the best we could in the process.

parocks
03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
I posted this as a response in another thread (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?367499-Ron-Paul-campaign-bleeds-cash), but I'm making it a new thread so it gets more views.

Going to Maine earlier would have created more attention from the other candidates to the state. If the polls were saying Ron Paul was winning, trust me Romney and Santy would have come running and the Grinch would have come rolling. It's hard to win something that you get cheated out of. I don't really get what is hard to understand about this.

Also, what is so hard to understand that this battle is for delegates and we will probably win the MOST delegates from Maine. There isn't a heck of a lot we can do about the establishment main stream media and GOP shoving that fact under the rug. We all know how hard we've tried to get noticed by the main stream media and how much good that has done. Anyone who thinks that we aren't being purposefully ignored and treated poorly by the MSM and the GOP establishment is either completely uninformed or delusional. Wake up and smell the coffee. It's easy to point fingers at the campaign, but whether we are officially part of the campaign or not, we ARE part of the campaign as grassroots supporters.

Do I do I blame the grassroots for lack of progress? No, some people have given the last few years of their life to make Ron Paul 2012 happen. Everyone is doing the best they can, including the very qualified people on the campaign. Are we fighting something that is easy to win? Heck no!! We may be fighting one of the hardest battles in American history. We are trying to change the country from the ground up and I'm gosh darn proud of the progress we are making and will continue to make! Let's roll and stop all this senseless finger pointing!

United we stand, divided we fall! We can't change the past, but we can change the future! Let's get behind the delegate strategy and pursue it for all it's worth and if we fail, we fail, but at least we can say we did the best we could in the process.

2/4 was the first of the 2 major days of Maine caucuses. If Ron Paul was there on that day, hitting 3 caucuses, like he hit 3 caucuses on 2/11, he would've been in better shape.

However, 2/4 was the day of the Nevada Caucuses, and I'd assume that most people, beforehand, would've recommended that he go to Nevada.

Ron Paul is unique in that he can actually increase turnout, increase the number of votes for him simply by going to a polling place and announcing that he will do so.

sailingaway
03-16-2012, 07:51 PM
Are we sure he didn't? I mean, we've been told he didn't 'really' win Virgin Islands because he only got the popular vote not the majority of delegates. I think we should wait and see if in fact he DOES win Maine.

But last month there was a Reuters national poll that had him in 2d place with 21% NATIONALLY. A poll like that for any other lower polling candidate would have been a sensation. Ron's Ames straw poll showing for any other candidate would have been a media sensation.

The media is never going to give Ron a break and wouldn't have then, either.

But I would have liked it to happen.

Voluntary Man
03-16-2012, 07:57 PM
What If Ron Paul Had Won Maine?

That's kind of like asking "what if the CIA hadn't shot JFK?"

TPTB were determined not to allow an alternate outcome.

opinionatedfool
03-16-2012, 09:17 PM

Lol, did you read what I wrote after the title? I was making the point that people keep saying things like that, but it doesn't help the cause.

opinionatedfool
03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Are we sure he didn't? I mean, we've been told he didn't 'really' win Virgin Islands because he only got the popular vote not the majority of delegates. I think we should wait and see if in fact he DOES win Maine.

But last month there was a Reuters national poll that had him in 2d place with 21% NATIONALLY. A poll like that for any other lower polling candidate would have been a sensation. Ron's Ames straw poll showing for any other candidate would have been a media sensation.

The media is never going to give Ron a break and wouldn't have then, either.

But I would have liked it to happen.

Yes, I would say he did win Maine, which is one of the points I made in the rest of the post.

03-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Just one of the crutches I keep hearing.

Maine was a small fry overall, in the big picture. If you want a "tipping point" for Ron Paul it was the two weeks running up to, and including, the Iowa caucus.

If we had won Iowa, we could very well be in Santorum's shoes right now, with a much wider base of support. The campaign did a lot right in Iowa, and a few things wrong, unfortunately. Despite a tremendous focus on Story and Polk counties, we lost both to Romney, and thus the state.

I have plenty of thoughts about what went wrong, but let us be clear: our big opportunity was in Iowa.

That said, all things considered, we have done far better than I would ever have thought and more than well enough to sow the seeds of liberty for years to come. I am not sure it would be possible for us to win the nomination at this point, but we can be satisfied with what we have done so far, and must, must keep fighting.

cindy25
03-17-2012, 02:06 AM
not much; Whitney Houston died so no media coverage one way or another

ross11988
03-17-2012, 04:14 AM
Maine was a small fry overall, in the big picture. If you want a "tipping point" for Ron Paul it was the two weeks running up to, and including, the Iowa caucus.

If we had won Iowa, we could very well be in Santorum's shoes right now, with a much wider base of support. The campaign did a lot right in Iowa, and a few things wrong, unfortunately. Despite a tremendous focus on Story and Polk counties, we lost both to Romney, and thus the state.

Exactly on the money, but I really think Iowa was out of our hands. How much influence the media had on the voters going into that Tuesday, starting with the DSM poll showing Romney and Santorum ahead, plus the horrendous interviews conducted the Sunday morning prior. You are right, the two weeks prior to Iowa WAS the tipping point of the entire campaign.

klamath
03-17-2012, 06:49 AM
This. The RP campaign did so much that was right in Iowa and came so damned close. It was the handling of the front runner status just prior to it that killed it.

I have plenty of thoughts about what went wrong, but let us be clear: our big opportunity was in Iowa.

That said, all things considered, we have done far better than I would ever have thought and more than well enough to sow the seeds of liberty for years to come. I am not sure it would be possible for us to win the nomination at this point, but we can be satisfied with what we have done so far, and must, must keep fighting.

No Free Beer
03-17-2012, 07:37 AM

How is that the same thing?

Carson
03-17-2012, 07:42 AM
Maybe this campaign would have really started to snowball then as opposed to snowball now?

donnay
03-17-2012, 08:30 AM
What if??? You mean what if the GOP was truthful. We know Dr. Paul won--C'mon folks!! You are seeing it with your own eyes the shenanigans that are going on!! There are enough witnesses, who came forward, that in a court of law, would have provided enough evidence to get a person convicted!

We need to continue to cry foul, and cry foul loudly!! Because the media sure isn't covering it!!! It's time we make waves, gather enough courage to stand up to this evil deceitful bunch!!

Just please stop the what ifs...

The_Ruffneck
03-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Paul won Maine.
I also think he won Iowa.

opinionatedfool
03-17-2012, 09:04 AM
Lol, everyone is just reading the title, not the actual post. If you read the actual post you would know it's the "What If's" I'm bashing.

donnay
03-17-2012, 09:15 AM
Lol, everyone is just reading the title, not the actual post. If you read the actual post you would know it's the "What If's" I'm bashing.

I read it and my comment was a general comment. "For the record."

zeloc
03-17-2012, 10:37 AM
When are the final results for Maine going to be released? Certainly there is someone in Maine who knows the numbers from the counties that weren't included and could calculate the overall results from this, even if the Maine GOP party is not going to release official figures.

Is there any news on when the GOP party will release this? There needs to be a push in Maine for this to happen. We don't get influence by allowing ourselves to be trampled and not fighting back.