PDA

View Full Version : Maine may get primaries

Keith and stuff
03-16-2012, 02:41 PM
IMO, primaries tend to be more honest, fair and clear. Especially the NH Primary because the delegates are already preselected by the campaigns and tied directly to the vote total. Hopefully, ME will follow the NH Primary model.

Messy caucuses lead to push for primaries in Maine
By Associated Press
Friday, March 16, 2012
http://www.bostonherald.com/news/us_politics/view/20120316messy_caucuses_lead_to_push_for_primaries_ in_maine/

AUGUSTA, Maine — After Maine’s messy Republican presidential caucuses necessitated a recount, Senate President Kevin Raye wants to restore presidential primaries to avoid such problems in the future.

Republican Gov. Paul LePage, who’s critical of the way the GOP ran its caucuses in February, supports the bill that was submitted by Raye to restore a presidential primary, where voters would cast ballots in the voting booth instead of local, party-run gatherings.

Raye hails from Washington County, where there was an uproar after local Republicans were told their snowstorm-delayed caucuses wouldn’t count following Mitt Romney’s victory. The Maine GOP also transposed some numbers and overlooked votes in some towns, necessitating a recount.

Romney remained the winner, even after the recount.

"I’ve always felt that a primary system is preferable to a caucus system," Raye said Friday. "The experience this year crystalized support for a lot of people."

Maine previously held presidential primaries but they were abandoned largely because of the election expense. Under Raye’s bill, the state would pick up the costs. Raye said he’s unsure what the ultimate figure would be but said "I don’t think you can put a price tag on democracy."

The bill, which enjoys bipartisan support, is being submitted as emergency legislation even though the next presidential election isn’t until 2016. Raye, who’s running for U.S. House, said he wants the bill to be addressed now because this is his last session.

Critics of caucuses say they tend to draw mostly activists who are willing to gather for an afternoon. They say primaries increase voter participation.

enrique
03-18-2012, 04:02 PM
My problem with primaries is that the taxpayers pick up the tab for the election of a semi-private club. I agree that the results are less ambiguous (cue die bold fraud comment) but it comes at two costs. One is the price to taxpayers and the other is to less involvement in the party. It's harder to energize people to get engaged in the system.

How would you feel if the elks club held public primaries for the election of their officers? The libertarian in me thinks that if you do a primary the party should pay for it.

eduardo89
03-18-2012, 04:07 PM
I don't understand why the government gets to decide how parties select their delegates

Titus
03-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I do think caucuses are more transparent and less likely to be full of fraud. If there's no public count of the votes, the votes can be whatever the counter says they are. We need caucuses. Every caucus should be recorded and posted up to a political version of youtube.