PDA

View Full Version : CIA Head : "We Will Spy on Americans Through Electrical Appliances"

Agorism
03-16-2012, 01:03 PM
http://www.hurriyetdailynews.com/images/news/201203/n_15971_4.jpg

http://www.infowars.com/cia-head-we-will-spy-on-americans-through-electrical-appliances

CIA director David Petraeus has said that the rise of new “smart” gadgets means that Americans are effectively bugging their own homes, saving US spy agencies a job when it identifies any “persons of interest”.
Speaking at a summit for In-Q-Tel, the CIA’s technology investment operation, Petraeus made the comments when discussing new technologies which aim to add processors and web connections to previously ‘dumb’ home appliances such as fridges, ovens and lighting systems.
Wired reports the details via its Danger Room Blog:
“‘Transformational’ is an overused word, but I do believe it properly applies to these technologies,” Petraeus enthused, “particularly to their effect on clandestine tradecraft.”
“Items of interest will be located, identified, monitored, and remotely controlled through technologies such as radio-frequency identification, sensor networks, tiny embedded servers, and energy harvesters — all connected to the next-generation internet using abundant, low-cost, and high-power computing,” Petraeus said.
“the latter now going to cloud computing, in many areas greater and greater supercomputing, and, ultimately, heading to quantum computing.” the CIA head added.

...continued

rockerrockstar
03-16-2012, 01:13 PM
I all ready suspected that they could use your smart phone to spy on you. They will use the internet. Not surprised about the Cloud computing being used to spy on us. As soon as I heard about the iCloud I started thinking people could spy on what you upload. They can use your gps on your phone to track you. They could activate the phone and listen in on you while it is in your pocket or your desk.

Technology could be our downfall for privacy. Just look at Facebook apps that show others what articles you read. If you want to post a comment after a news article they make you use you facebook account to sign in to comment. Then they tell everyone what you read. I don't like it. Facebook is becoming more and more intrusive to our privacy by trying to broadcast our every move. I don't want people that are on my friends list to know everything I ever do on the internet.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
And I was called a nut in this thread for saying all this a year ago:

Trouble is, your new "smart meter" that electric utilities all across the country are installing, can detect the load of an incandescent bulb on your house grid.

Thus earning you a visit from Officer Friendly and his buddies:

http://www.uselessgraphics.com/swat.gif

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?293579-Are-You-Ready-to-Pay-50-for-a-100-Watt-Bulb&highlight=pay+%2450+light+bulb

Agorism
03-16-2012, 01:30 PM
I all ready suspected that they could use your smart phone to spy on you. They will use the internet. Not surprised about the Cloud computing being used to spy on us. As soon as I heard about the iCloud I started thinking people could spy on what you upload. They can use your gps on your phone to track you. They could activate the phone and listen in on you while it is in your pocket or your desk.

Technology could be our downfall for privacy. Just look at Facebook apps that show others what articles you read. If you want to post a comment after a news article they make you use you facebook account to sign in to comment. Then they tell everyone what you read. I don't like it. Facebook is becoming more and more intrusive to our privacy by trying to broadcast our every move. I don't want people that are on my friends list to know everything I ever do on the internet.

I've had a long standing mac account so this iCloud stuff makes me wonder if I need to find a new email provider.

Still better than gmail though.

Bosco Warden
03-16-2012, 01:35 PM

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?293579-Are-You-Ready-to-Pay-50-for-a-100-Watt-Bulb&highlight=pay+%2450+light+bulb

I think you missed the target thread by one. lol

or is this the right thread, this is about spying electronics, Judge Nap did a piece on the cell phone BS in 07 the first time RP ran.

CaptUSA
03-16-2012, 01:37 PM
<----- Your smart meter guru. If you have any questions about their current capabilities or future concerns, let me know.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 01:47 PM
I think you missed the target thread by one. lol

or is this the right thread, this is about spying electronics, Judge Nap did a piece on the cell phone BS in 07 the first time RP ran.

LOL all of these gadgets are nothing but electronic shackles that will bind us down.

I was specifically commenting on the whole house grids that will report back through smart meters or the electric grid.

trey4sports
03-16-2012, 01:49 PM
good luck finding wifi in my 1980's refrigerator

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 01:51 PM

That's my appliances, cars, TVs...

It will take an active retro effort to thwart this, or just shrug your shoulders and live in a Panopticon box instead of a home.

devil21
03-16-2012, 01:56 PM
So not only are you going to pay for the equipment they use to spy on you, they also get to pass the electricity cost to power the equipment on to you too.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 01:57 PM
So not only are you going to pay for the equipment they use to spy on you, they also get to pass the electricity cost to power the equipment on to you too.

Neat how that works, isn't it?

VIDEODROME
03-16-2012, 01:58 PM
Seems like the ultimate dragnet and a huge waste of money and in fact inefficient.

There is such a thing as to much information. Then you have to sift through it all wasting time. It's total bullshit.

It seems like it would be similar to going how to house looking for somebody. I mean sure you can apply filters to the whole database, but that only helps if you know What to filter.

Voluntary Man
03-16-2012, 02:08 PM

first they ignore you, then they ridicule you....;)

aGameOfThrones
03-16-2012, 02:10 PM
Now I have to get rid of my George Foreman Grill... It was good to me.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 02:16 PM
Seems like the ultimate dragnet and a huge waste of money and in fact inefficient.

There is such a thing as to much information. Then you have to sift through it all wasting time. It's total bullshit.

It seems like it would be similar to going how to house looking for somebody. I mean sure you can apply filters to the whole database, but that only helps if you know What to filter.

You're making a false assumption about what this is all for.

It has little, if anything, to do with scanning for and catching "bad guys".

It is, in fact, all about this:

Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, (Even that will not provide cover anymore - AF) every movement scrutinized.

John F Kennedy III
03-16-2012, 02:29 PM
<----- Your smart meter guru. If you have any questions about their current capabilities or future concerns, let me know.

Can you list everything in this thread?

flightlesskiwi
03-16-2012, 02:31 PM
i'm LOLing... i was just mentioning to Mr. Flightless that i hadn't heard anything about Petraeus recently since he was shifted over into the CIA, not that i had been looking, but that i just hadn't heard anything.

this is the whipped cream on my every Friday Sunday.

flightlesskiwi
03-16-2012, 02:32 PM

also, you are taxed in order for someone(s) to sit there and monitor it all. w00t!! .gov iz winning!!

John F Kennedy III
03-16-2012, 02:33 PM

It wouldn't surprise me if it has some sort of prototype in it.

VIDEODROME
03-16-2012, 02:36 PM
Well that's one extreme, but like in V for Vendetta technology can go both ways. Just like the article says actually. A neutral device may become maliciously hijacked by an outside force.

But one of the oldest tricks ever is if you know you're bugged or tracked, stick the tracker to a Grey Hound bus and let them follow it.

In fact some tech savvy people might not even need to do that. It wouldn't surprise me if in the future people can trick their devices into showing false telemetry and confusing their trackers.

I mean sure some just can't be helped like poor Winston, but I think there is a strong potential for people to push back.

John F Kennedy III
03-16-2012, 02:37 PM

Behind Winston's back the voice from the telescreen was still babbling away about pig-iron and the overfulfilment of the Ninth Three-Year Plan. The telescreen received and transmitted simultaneously. Any sound that Winston made, above the level of a very low whisper, would be picked up by it, moreover, so long as he remained within the field of vision which the metal plaque commanded, he could be seen as well as heard. There was of course no way of knowing whether you were being watched at any given moment. How often, or on what system, the Thought Police plugged in on any individual wire was guesswork. It was even conceivable that they watched everybody all the time. But at any rate they could plug in your wire whenever they wanted to. You had to live -- did live, from habit that became instinct -- in the assumption that every sound you made was overheard, and, except in darkness, (Even that will not provide cover anymore - AF) every movement scrutinized.

This x1000000

+fucking rep

flightlesskiwi
03-16-2012, 02:40 PM
your post made me think "MacGyver"!!!

Well that's one extreme, but like in V for Vendetta technology can go both ways. Just like the article says actually. A neutral device may become maliciously hijacked by an outside force.

But one of the oldest tricks ever is if you know you're bugged or tracked, stick the tracker to a Grey Hound bus and let them follow it.

In fact some tech savvy people might not even need to do that. It wouldn't surprise me if in the future people can trick their devices into showing false telemetry and confusing their trackers.

I mean sure some just can't be helped like poor Winston, but I think there is a strong potential for people to push back.

RickyJ
03-16-2012, 02:42 PM

I have a 1950s refrigerator, still works really good too. They knew how to make them last back then.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 02:46 PM
I have a 1950s refrigerator, still works really good too. They knew how to make them last back then.

Using an unregistered appliance on the grid.

Reported.

Stand still, comrade, and await arrival of the SWAT team.

TAnn
03-16-2012, 02:51 PM
Or, it could be an opportunity to mislead and divert someone who is spying on you. A perfect way to spread "misinformation".

NoOneButPaul
03-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Why do you think they have built in webcams on every laptop now :)

They're staring back at you as you stare into the internet!

John F Kennedy III
03-16-2012, 02:58 PM

Exactly.

flightlesskiwi
03-16-2012, 03:02 PM

i make sure to wait until i have my laptop out and open before i pick my nose.

ronpaulfollower999
03-16-2012, 03:25 PM

LOL! Was about to say the same thing!

Luciconsort
03-16-2012, 03:38 PM
If the person(s) watching me have been at it for more than a few weeks then they are probably pretty disgusted and quit for a McJob by now. You gotta have a strong stomach or be as sick as me to watch that all day lol

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 03:38 PM

I think if I knew for sure that the fuckers were watching, I'd be inclined to pick my ass.

PierzStyx
03-16-2012, 04:13 PM
That's my appliances, cars, TVs...

It will take an active retro effort to thwart this, or just shrug your shoulders and live in a Panopticon box instead of a home.

For those not in the know about what the reference to the "Panopticon" means: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panopticon

PierzStyx
03-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Pretty soon we'll all have telescreens in our houses.

Vessol
03-16-2012, 04:42 PM

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Anti Federalist again."

^That must be one of the most posted things on Ron Paul Forums.

JK/SEA
03-16-2012, 05:22 PM
Pretty soon we'll all have telescreens in our houses.

uhhhh...nevermind.

Lishy
03-16-2012, 05:38 PM
..... Ok, sure. But why?

DGambler
03-16-2012, 05:40 PM

Spill the beans.

awake
03-16-2012, 05:41 PM
Well there you go, I truly hate it when we are right about this stuff.

Lishy
03-16-2012, 05:45 PM
To be honest, I think this is misinformation. Unless this is integrated into some hidden appliance software, hackers who disassemble their objects for a living would be all over this.

That said, I have to ask him "Why"? No, seriously. How often does Al-Qaeda strike us, and how often are they successful? Even IF this is true, it seems incredibly unnecessary.

I did some googling. Where did he say "We Will Spy On Americans Through Electrical Appliances"?

Yieu
03-16-2012, 07:24 PM
Hello. This is the CIA.

We have detected that your fridge is a bit low, it does not have milk, and we have detected that you have children.

Place your hands behind your back.

Alternate scenario: The fridge emits a deadly neurotoxin after it detects the above.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 09:02 PM
Alternate scenario: The fridge emits a deadly neurotoxin after it detects the above.

The implanted medicine dispensing microchip.

Just like Logan's Run.

The light will go off, and you drop dead for collection by The Scoops.

You will later be processed into Soylent Green.

(I'm only half kidding, there are FDA approved sub-dermal microchips, both for identification and dispensing pre programmed doses of medicine.)

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 09:05 PM
The Ministry of Truth

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/wp-content/gallery/20-04/ff_nsadatacenter_f.jpg

Where will all the information from such devices be sent and analyzed?

It can be no coincidence that the NSA is currently building a monolithic, heavily fortified, $2 billion facility deep in the Utah desert and surrounded by mountains. The facility is set to go fully live in September 2013.

“The Utah data center is the centerpiece of the Global Information Grid, a military project that will handle yottabytes of data, an amount so huge that there is no other data unit after it.” reports Gizmodo.

“This center—with every listening post, spy satellite and NSA datacenter connected to it, will make the NSA the most powerful spy agency in the world.”

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 09:09 PM
That’s not the only data exploit intriguing Petraeus. He’s interested in creating new online identities for his undercover spies — and sweeping away the “digital footprints” of agents who suddenly need to vanish.

“Proud parents document the arrival and growth of their future CIA officer in all forms of social media that the world can access for decades to come,” Petraeus observed. “Moreover, we have to figure out how to create the digital footprint for new identities for some officers.”

It’s hard to argue with that. Online cache is not a spy’s friend. But Petraeus has an inadvertent pal in Facebook.

Why? With the arrival of Timeline, Facebook made it super-easy to backdate your online history. Barack Obama, for instance, hasn’t been on Facebook since his birth in 1961. Creating new identities for CIA non-official cover operatives has arguably never been easier. Thank Zuck, spies. Thank Zuck.

Yieu
03-16-2012, 09:19 PM
The implanted medicine dispensing microchip.

(I'm only half kidding, there are FDA approved sub-dermal microchips, both for identification and dispensing pre programmed doses of medicine.)

I remember those. They probably would be a more likely candidate for delivery of the deadly neurotoxin.

bluesc
03-16-2012, 09:20 PM
The Ministry of Truth

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/wp-content/gallery/20-04/ff_nsadatacenter_f.jpg

Where will all the information from such devices be sent and analyzed?

It can be no coincidence that the NSA is currently building a monolithic, heavily fortified, $2 billion facility deep in the Utah desert and surrounded by mountains. The facility is set to go fully live in September 2013.

“The Utah data center is the centerpiece of the Global Information Grid, a military project that will handle yottabytes of data, an amount so huge that there is no other data unit after it.” reports Gizmodo.

“This center—with every listening post, spy satellite and NSA datacenter connected to it, will make the NSA the most powerful spy agency in the world.”

All evil aside, that looks like a great place to work.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 09:23 PM
I remember those. They probably would be a more likely candidate for delivery of the deadly neurotoxin.

Citizen, Alpha Tango Bravo 37761, Attention!

You have been found to be in violation of the National Defense Authorization Act of 2110.

In accordance with the law, you are now subject to summary execution.

You are to immediately move to a sitting position and wait quietly for the lethal dose to take effect in approximately 30 seconds.

There are no appeals.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 09:27 PM
All evil aside, that looks like a great place to work.

I'm sure it is, just as I am sure there will be no shortage of brilliant young people, with more degrees in mathematics and computer sciences and algorithmic analysis than a thermometer, lining up around the corner, begging for the chance to work there.

Yieu
03-16-2012, 09:30 PM
I'm sure it is, just as I am sure there will be no shortage of brilliant young people, with more degrees in mathematics and computer sciences and algorithmic analysis than a thermometer, lining up around the corner, begging for the chance to work there.

How do you convince someone to spy on their fellow citizens?

Pay them to do it.

aGameOfThrones
03-16-2012, 09:50 PM

Pay them to do it.

Call the person being spied on Terrorist, and the person doing the spying Patriot.

Lishy
03-16-2012, 09:55 PM
From another forum:

In all seriousness, what the fuck do they want?
Money? World domination? Religion?
But seriously.
Just fuck off already!

For some reason I found that post to really summarize how we feel.

They're like a bunch of bullies in my opinion. Or like children, playing fantasy games, only their toys are the real things.

Anti Federalist
03-16-2012, 10:01 PM

Pay them to do it.

Call the person being spied on Terrorist, and the person doing the spying Patriot.

And call them an "Officer" and give them authority.

pcosmar
03-16-2012, 10:13 PM

Pay them to do it.

Nope, Threaten them with the same if they don't. or their family.
Fear is a great motivator.

sparebulb
03-16-2012, 10:19 PM

There will be too few of the brilliant young Americans to fill these jobs due to intentional dumbing-down. My bet is brilliant young Chinese and Indians will be recruited. Plus, they possess no constitutional hang-ups about doing jobs that Americans won't do.

Yieu
03-16-2012, 11:08 PM

That is part of the point I was getting at. If their living depends on it, they will do it.

Vessol
03-17-2012, 01:46 PM
Well there you go, I truly hate it when we are right about this stuff.

No kidding man, it's depressing stuff to be sure. Lately I've been hoping everything that I've looked at in the future is wrong.

Anti Federalist
03-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Fear and intimidation will be used against those few refuseniks that want no part of the evil, regardless of how much money, power or plush working conditions are thrown at them, but have some special skill that Leviathan needs.

Anti Federalist
03-17-2012, 02:23 PM
Whoops, wrong thread

ZanZibar
03-18-2012, 10:52 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNFr_j6kdI&amp;list=UUklG6ilxW_PeYeDSpKSRGZQ&amp; index=4&amp;feature=plcp

easycougar
03-18-2012, 11:06 AM
I think EVERYTHING will eventually be connected to the internet (appliances, vehicles...humans) and will be tracked. There's already a big push towards IPv6. A statistic I heard is that there are enough unique IPv6 addresses to cover every square inch of the earth 3 times. The earth already has high-speed internet everywhere via 3G/4G, municipal wireless, satellite, and broadband so every device could eventually have some sort of wireless chip with a unique IPv6 assigned that periodically transmits your data.

Mini-Me
03-18-2012, 11:18 AM
General Betray Us, indeed.

Today, I've been feeling like quoting 1984 in almost every thread...you're absolutely correct.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
General Betray Us, indeed.

Today, I've been feeling like quoting 1984 in almost every thread...you're absolutely correct.

Lousy trend, no?

Good to see you around MM.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2012, 12:17 PM
I think EVERYTHING will eventually be connected to the internet (appliances, vehicles...humans) and will be tracked. There's already a big push towards IPv6. A statistic I heard is that there are enough unique IPv6 addresses to cover every square inch of the earth 3 times. The earth already has high-speed internet everywhere via 3G/4G, municipal wireless, satellite, and broadband so every device could eventually have some sort of wireless chip with a unique IPv6 assigned that periodically transmits your data.

Yup, this is certainly part of the endgame.

Mini-Me
03-18-2012, 12:23 PM
Yup, this is certainly part of the endgame.

Thankfully, mesh routing has its upsides as well... :)
http://www.freedomboxfoundation.org/

bolil
03-18-2012, 12:35 PM
I can pretty much assure you I will be taking mucho pictures of my nether regions. Let the fascists stare at that! Bwahahahaha.

Anti Federalist
03-18-2012, 12:54 PM
I can pretty much assure you I will be taking mucho pictures of my nether regions. Let the fascists stare at that! Bwahahahaha.

Felony Sexual Harassment of a Federal Law Enforcement Officer.

Stand still, Mundane, and await arrival of SWAT, which will be at your domicile in 2 minutes.

bolil
03-18-2012, 12:58 PM
Is it harassment if they enjoy it? By nether regions I meant upper thigh, inner arm, and lower back. I have my sensibilities!!!@!

Anti Federalist
03-18-2012, 01:01 PM
Is it harassment if they enjoy it? By nether regions I meant upper thigh, inner arm, and lower back. I have my sensibilities!!!@!

It will be a felony to simply taunt the box.

Much like any "inappropriate remarks or jokes will result in your arrest" at the airport.

bolil
03-18-2012, 01:03 PM
Funny you should mention. Everytime I walk into an airport I have to resist the impulse to scream bomb... I don't know why.

Indy Vidual
03-18-2012, 02:06 PM
+1984

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JNFr_j6kdI&list=UUklG6ilxW_PeYeDSpKSRGZQ& index=4&feature=plcp

& + rep too

Agorism
04-01-2012, 02:25 PM
bump

presence
03-07-2013, 05:36 PM
#standwithrand

HOLLYWOOD
03-07-2013, 06:42 PM
I think 'TEAM 1984' got their wires crossed somewhere...

I was making my 5th Pina Colada last night and I swear, my Blender was talking to me. ;)

The U.S. is experiencing the paradox of a "polished-up and super-funded" Nazi Germany.

MRK
03-07-2013, 11:22 PM
I think 'TEAM 1984' got their wires crossed somewhere...

I was making my 5th Pina Colada last night and I swear, my Blender was talking to me. ;)

The U.S. is experiencing the paradox of a "polished-up and super-funded" Nazi Germany.

When I lived in Germany, I was told by the people who lived during the Third Reich that they thought the war and everything was going great until planes were flying over their houses bombing them.