PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Delegate

iratus
11-13-2007, 11:53 PM
First, READ THIS THREAD (http://www.ronpaulforum.com/showthread.php?t=183)

Sorry, it's been awhile since I updated this. Here is some very good info:

Please note, I posted this tread again for fear that folks would only read the first post on the other "delegate" thread, which doesn't provide all the steps for becoming a KY delegate.

First...to be a delegate or vote in the delgation process in KY, you need to be registered as Republican by the candidate filing deadline (Jan 29th).

Then, you'll want to become your precinct chair person.....you do this by showing up at the location where you were supposed to have voted this past Novemeber. It's likely that you'll be the only one there....This will be March 8th at 10AM. Any changes should be posted in your newspapers.

Then, you will need to attend your county's Mass Convention. This is very, very important. The more Ron Paul supporters that show up the better. There will be elections for chairpersons and the secretary. Then, the chairman will appoint committees, one of which will be the nominating committee. The nominating committee will nominate a slate of delegates, and then the floor will be allowed to vote. If this slate is not accepted by a majority vote, then the floor can nominate a new slate (i.e., a Ron Paul slate). There will be a number of slates nominated at one time and ballots cast. If no slate has the majority of votes, then the slate with the fewest number of votes will be eliminated. This will go on and on until you end up with the appropriate number of delegates for your county.

The number of delegates that your county gets will equal the number of republican votes cast in the last presidential election divided by 400.

After the county delegates are selected, they will go on to the district convention. So, it's a good idea to work with all the counties in your disctrict to plan. The more Paul delegates selected at the county level, the better. (I'm working on figuring out how the State Convention works. If any one knows, please advise.)

Delegates that you want to elect at the disctrict convention and push to the national convention will need to complete and submit a letter to the Republican State headquarters at least 4 days before the Disctrict Convention.

The process at the District Convention is pretty much the same as at the County Mass Convention, except that the floor doesn't get to nominate slates of delegates. Only the nomination committee will get to.

If any one has any questions or comments, please, please contact me here or at gr8harle@gmail.com. It's very important that everyone understands how this process works if Ron Paul is to get a substantial number of KY delegates.

Previous relevant info (someone please clarify this... is this part of the RPK Rules even in effect?):

RPK Rules (http://www.rpk.org/images/KY/rpk_rules_Web.pdf) 8.03. Nomination of National Convention Delegates and Alternates:

Any registered Republican who desires to be
nominated at either the District or State Convention to be a
Delegate or an Alternate Delegate to the National Convention,
shall submit a letter which must be received by Republican
state headquarters at least four (4) working days
before the applicable District or State Convention. Said
letter shall be addressed to the Nominating Committee,
state the person’s interest in becoming a Delegate or Alternate
Delegate, and set forth the reasons why they should
be considered by the Nominating Committee. The state
headquarters staff will immediately convey the would-be
nominee’s letter to the Nominating Committee of the appropriate
convention. No person may be nominated or
elected by a District or State Convention to be a Delegate
or Alternate Delegate to the National Convention unless
this procedure is followed. If an insufficient number of
persons thus qualified are elected at the District or State
Conventions, the remaining slots will be filled as if they
were vacancies which occurred AFTER the State Convention.
The Nominating Committee at the District and State
Conventions shall consider at least two criteria in selecting
Delegates and Alternate Delegates to the National
Convention; namely, (1) the letter received in accordance
with this rule, and (2) any current political involvement on
behalf of the Republican party and/or Republican candidates
at any level.
The party shall endeavor to have equal representation
of men and women in its delegation to the Republican
National Convention.
The provisions of these rules are not intended to
be the basis of any kind of quota system.

Ethek
11-14-2007, 07:32 AM
Excellent, lets get this rolling. I would be interested in getting all of the needed deadlines updated into the top post. I'll start looking.

Ethek
11-14-2007, 02:31 PM
Thanks for the information iratus. I know your in the Lexington area but I would be curious if anyone else has information from somewhere else in KY.

bew2005
11-16-2007, 08:07 PM
I may do this just to help Ron Paul. However, I will be taking the bar examination in late July of 2008. Any clue when the national convention is? Also, where is it being held at...hopefully within driving distance?

iratus
11-16-2007, 08:19 PM
RNC is Sept 1-4th, 2008 in St Paul MN. It's about a 10-12 hour drive from Lexington. :(

me3
11-16-2007, 08:30 PM
I don't think raising money to get our delegates to the convention will be a problem.

Even at $300 each, for 1,000 delegates, that's what we could fund raise in a single day.

RonPaulRocksMyWorld
11-17-2007, 02:31 AM
You can drive 9 hours to Philly to see a rally, then you can drive 10-12 hours to be a delegate!

travr6
12-02-2007, 08:35 AM
Is there anyone in here that can explain exactly what a delegate does and how to become one in Kentucky?

I am more confused now then I was when I began my research on the subject.

I would like to talk to someone who has actually been through the process and can explain some things to me.

Anyone?

iratus
12-02-2007, 01:24 PM
We're having a 6th district organizational meeting tonight; we should be going through the process in much more detail. Maybe you can make it?

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/146/calendar/6802705/

bew2005
12-02-2007, 01:38 PM
I live in Northern Kentucky as a student but am still registered in Woodford County (that's my permanent address). I'm in the middle of finals and can't make it tonight. Any type of summary of the meeting tonight would be very beneficial.

bew2005
12-02-2007, 06:48 PM
After reading the opening post again, I see how easy it is to apply to become a delegate...just write a letter to the Republican Party of KY saying you want to be one. I am definitely going to do this...

I looked up the address on the internet...I think this is it:

Republican Party of Kentucky
The Mitch McConnell Building
Capitol Avenue at Third Street
P.O. Box 1068
Frankfort, Kentucky 40602

Phone: 502-875-5130
Fax: 502-223-5625

If anyone finds a different address, please let me know and post it on here.

travr6
12-03-2007, 09:45 AM
We're having a 6th district organizational meeting tonight; we should be going through the process in much more detail. Maybe you can make it?

http://ronpaul.meetup.com/146/calendar/6802705/

I just now read about it. Wish I would have saw it yesterday

travr6
12-03-2007, 09:46 AM
so is that all you have to do?

Just write a letter saying you want to be one and then you are one? I doubt it is that simple.

bew2005
12-03-2007, 01:13 PM
so is that all you have to do?

Just write a letter saying you want to be one and then you are one? I doubt it is that simple.

You're right...it's not exactly that simple but pretty close. Ron Paul's campaign will get to pick the delegate slate, as will every other campaign, in the event that he wins Kentucky. Therefore, you need to make it clear in the letter you are a RP supporter and let the campaign know. Only a few dozen people from KY are needed, so I don't think this will be a problem. If you click on the link that says "Read This" at the top of post #1 in this thread, Bradley in DC explains the process very well.

travr6
12-07-2007, 07:36 PM
You're right...it's not exactly that simple but pretty close. Ron Paul's campaign will get to pick the delegate slate, as will every other campaign, in the event that he wins Kentucky. Therefore, you need to make it clear in the letter you are a RP supporter and let the campaign know. Only a few dozen people from KY are needed, so I don't think this will be a problem. If you click on the link that says "Read This" at the top of post #1 in this thread, Bradley in DC explains the process very well.
The republican party here has already stated they are supporting Guiliani. Wouldn't they just throw my letter away if I said I was for RP?

Also, I recently switched to the Republican party from Democrat. will that still allow me to be a delegate?

Dunciad
01-27-2008, 07:02 PM
If I'm not mistake, there's a bit more to it than that.

First...to be a delegate or vote in the delgation process in KY, you need to be registered as Republican by the candidate filing deadlin (Jan 29th)

Then, you'll want to become your precinct chair person.....you do this by showing up at the location where you were supposed to have voted this past Novemeber. It's likely that you'll be the only one there....This will be March 8th at 10AM. Any changes should be posted in your newspapers.

Then, you will need to attend your county's Mass Convention. This is very, very important. The more Ron Paul supporters that show up the better. There will be elections for chairperson and the secretary. Then, the chairman will appoint committees, one of which will be the nominating committee. The nominating committee will nominate a slate of delegates, and then the floor will be allowed to vote. If this slate is not accepted, then the floor can nominate a new slate (i.e., a Ron Paul slate). There will be a number of slates nominated at one time and ballots cast. If no slate has the majority of votes, then the slate with the fewest number of votes will be eliminated. This will go on and on until you end up with a slate.

The number of delegates that your county gets will equal the number of republican votes cast in the last presidential election divided by 400.

After the county delegates are selected, they will go on to the district convention. So, it's a good idea to work with all counties in your disctrict to plan. (I'm working on figuring out how the State Convention works)

Delegates that you want to elect at the disctrict convention and push to the national convention will need to complete a letter to the Republican State headquarters at least 4 days before the Disctrict Convention.

The process at the District Convention is pretty much the same as at the County Mass Convention, except that the floor doesn't get to nominate. Only the nomination committee will get to.

If any one has any questions, please, please contact me at gr8harle@gmail.com or send a message to me here. It's very important that everyone understand how this process works.

Dunciad
01-28-2008, 07:04 AM
This is a little more complicated than just writing a letter. PLEASE see my post in this thread for more information.