PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul supporters say GOP cheated them out of delegates

sailingaway
03-15-2012, 02:23 PM
http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2012-03-15/ron-paul-supporters-say-gop-cheated-them-out-delegates

The libertarian-leaning Texas congressman’s supporters are trying to win election as delegates to the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., in August, libertarian activist Carter Kessler said.

But they claim the Clarke County GOP broke its own rules by electing a slate of delegates that excluded Paul supporters over their objections.

The dispute highlights tension between Paul supporters, many of whom are young and newcomers to politics, and veteran Republican activists. State party Chairwoman Sue Everhart referenced similar conflicts in an email to party members Wednesday. Many longtime Republicans didn’t show up to county conventions, while many new activists did, she said.

“I have heard from many members of our team this week, and I must say that though I want to see continued growth in our Party, I am equally disheartened at the behavior of many attendees, as well as the apparent contentment of a large portion of our base,” she said.

Paul supporters in Athens posted a YouTube video of the Clarke County convention that shows county party Chairman Matt Brewster calling for a vote on a slate of delegates, Paul supporters objecting and Brewster quickly announcing the meeting was over.

Paul supporters gathered a quorum Sunday and elected a competing slate of delegates, Kessler said.

“We tried to do this the right way,” he said. “Like the little tyrants they are, they said ‘That’s it,’ and ran out the door.”

The slate of delegates elected was the same one chosen by the county party’s nominating committee, Brewster said. He declined to comment further because he said he expects an appeal to the state party.

“The only thing I can say is, I followed the rules as best I could for the Georgia GOP and the convention process,” he said.

The state party hasn’t received any formal complaints about any county conventions, spokesman Chris Kelleher said.

It’s unclear from the video whether Paul supporters outnumbered other attendees. Twenty-five of the 37 people at the county convention supported Paul, Kessler said.

more at link

http://onlineathens.com/breaking-news/2012-03-15/ron-paul-supporters-say-gop-cheated-them-out-delegates

revned
03-15-2012, 02:33 PM
Is anyone compiling all of the dirty tricks of this election? There are examples of dirty politics in every single state now!

Darguth
03-15-2012, 02:44 PM
"The state party hasn’t received any formal complaints about any county conventions, spokesman Chris Kelleher said."

I find that unlikely. I assume the Ron Paul supporters there likely filed their complaint formally.

sailingaway
03-15-2012, 02:47 PM
"The state party hasn’t received any formal complaints about any county conventions, spokesman Chris Kelleher said."

I find that unlikely. I assume the Ron Paul supporters there likely filed their complaint formally.

that's one reason I posted it. If they haven't I assume they intend to now that the youtube has come to light.

dancjm
03-15-2012, 02:59 PM
Paul supporters gathered a quorum Sunday and elected a competing slate of delegates, Kessler said.

Good. :)

floridasun1983
03-15-2012, 03:02 PM
As fine a job as the grassroots is doing (and they are all to be applauded), I think we're only going to gain real traction if the campaign gets involved and starts threatening some lawsuits. Otherwise they're just going to keep on lying and letting their pals in the MSM ignore it.

S.Shorland
03-15-2012, 03:22 PM
^ Yes I think so

rb3b3
03-15-2012, 03:24 PM
For anyone who truly knows, is there anything we can do about what took place at Clark county?? I mean legal action??

opinionatedfool
03-15-2012, 04:43 PM
As fine a job as the grassroots is doing (and they are all to be applauded), I think we're only going to gain real traction if the campaign gets involved and starts threatening some lawsuits. Otherwise they're just going to keep on lying and letting their pals in the MSM ignore it.

I hope they don't just threaten. I hope they sue these guys and get them removed from the party. Cheaters need to be kicked out of the party.