PDA

View Full Version : Ron Paul: "It's about time" GOP rivals are rethinking Afghanistan

03-15-2012, 12:52 PM
Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul says recent shifts by some of his rivals on the war in Afghanistan a sign that he's "winning the fight" with his signature hands-off foreign policy.

Paul won standing ovations from some 4,600 people Wednesday night at a University of Illinois rally -- his largest turnout ever -- for his calls to "bring our troops home!" He also told the crowd, made up mostly of college students, that "the other candidates on our side are saying we need to fight more wars."

Asked by National Journal/CBS News about recent comments by Newt Gingrich and Rick Santorum that the United States should review its commitment in Afghanistan and possibly back off, Paul replied, "It's about time."

"But they're what we call chicken hawks. And they talk a lot, they push the wars, they themselves haven't gone, and they don't serve, and yet they... promote the wars," he said of his rivals, who talk often of taking military action against Iran to keep it from getting a nuclear weapon.

"Sure the politics are changing, and that's great. We're changing people's minds. The American people are sick and tired of it," Paul said. "And like I mentioned in my speech, I spent five years trying to prevent the war in Iraq. So if they want to come on board now, fine and dandy. That means we're winning the fight."

Paul got chuckles from the small gaggle of journalists and close supporters backstage when one reporter asked how he plans to bring home the troops. "By ship," he said.

A new Gallup poll shows half of Americans back a faster pullout of U.S. troops from Afghanistan than President Obama's timetable of completing a withdrawal by the end of 2014.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57398190-503544/ron-paul-its-about-time-gop-rivals-are-rethinking-afghanistan/

I take this as a sign that Ron is willing to work with the GOP if their positions come his way. Take it how you will...

It would be very interesting if the GOP platform on the Afghan war was to the left of Obama. It would be like 1968 again.

georgiaboy
03-15-2012, 12:59 PM
Good stuff.

[url]
It would be very interesting if the GOP platform on the Afghan war was to the left of Obama.

I get the reference to the talking point, but to be clear, a non-interventionist strategy is a conservative-right position, not a leftist position.

sailingaway
03-15-2012, 01:00 PM
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-57398190-503544/ron-paul-its-about-time-gop-rivals-are-rethinking-afghanistan/

I take this as a sign that Ron is willing to work with the GOP if their positions come his way. Take it how you will...

It would be very interesting if the GOP platform on the Afghan war was to the left of Obama. It would be like 1968 again.

lol! talk about reading into it...

Ron will work with anyone WHO IS GOING HIS WAY. He always did. But they have to be going the way he is going, anyhow.

sailingaway
03-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Good stuff.

I get the reference to the talking point, but to be clear, a non-interventionist strategy is a conservative-right position, not a leftist position.

this.

03-15-2012, 01:08 PM
Good stuff.

Yes, I know that, I'm talking about how the MSM will report it. They already did in one of the debates. Something like "you will be running to the left of President Obama"

Sola_Fide
03-15-2012, 01:11 PM
http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/53662749/no_one_but.jpg

kill the banks
03-15-2012, 01:14 PM
you know the first guy that figures out how to change the course of this damnation media wins the ultimate prize ~ the roots of liberty and freedom ... maybe we could call it the Ron Paul ' liberty ' prize

trey4sports
03-15-2012, 01:15 PM
Paul got chuckles from the small gaggle of journalists and close supporters backstage when one reporter asked how he plans to bring home the troops. "By ship," he said.

Ron Paul's a pretty funny dude.

thoughtomator
03-15-2012, 01:16 PM
Good stuff.

Obama's war policy is the same one traditionally associated with the neocon hard "right", whatever that really means. On a simplified right left scale "peace" is generally defined as being to the left of "war".

NoOneButPaul
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
All the more reason leaving the GOP is such a terrible idea... he's winning the battle for ideas as it is. We can't ruin that...

wgadget
03-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Ron is such a great LEADER, in every sense of the word.

I think I speak for many when I say he is my hero. :)

G-Wohl
03-15-2012, 01:20 PM
http://cache0.bigcartel.com/product_images/53662749/no_one_but.jpg

Where can I get this pin??

tfurrh
03-15-2012, 01:24 PM
'to the left of Obama' gets on my nerves more than any of the other slams.

Sola_Fide
03-15-2012, 01:28 PM
Where can I get this pin??

Not sure. Id like a few myself.