PDA

View Full Version : So what can Ron Paul do as president?

kevinblack
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Serious question.

I first heard about Ron Paul this Sunday thanks to the money "Bomb" (nicely done!). I could not sleep that night. I had to read every article, every news item, see every youtube video (by the way, the playlist is broken due to removed item).

I believe!

By now I have a good understanding of what Ron Paul believes in, but I don't have a good idea of what it would mean to have a Ron Paul presidency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_of_the_President_of_the_United_States

I understand that as commander in chief he can bring the troops home.

He can issue Executive Orders, but these seem exactly the kind of non constitutional powers Ron Paul seems to be against. I would assume that he will not use this power, (can anybody confirm?)

He can veto new bills.

He can create the Budget, but it has to be ratified by Congress.

Nominate heads of executive departments and agencies, but approved by Senate.

Given this I am trying to understand what would be a realistic list of issues that could be addressed in a Ron Paul presidency with both Senate and Congress set against him. I don't see how he could go after the income tax, let alone the rest of core issues at the heart of his campaign.

Mark Rushmore
11-13-2007, 10:53 PM
Not suck?

MGreen
11-13-2007, 10:55 PM
This was a nice hypothetical inaugural address that gives an idea what Paul would likely do as president:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/kramer1.html

0zzy
11-13-2007, 10:58 PM
Serious question.

I first heard about Ron Paul this Sunday thanks to the money "Bomb" (nicely done!). I could not sleep that night. I had to read every article, every news item, see every youtube video (by the way, the playlist is broken due to removed item).

I believe!

By now I have a good understanding of what Ron Paul believes in, but I don't have a good idea of what it would mean to have a Ron Paul presidency.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_of_the_President_of_the_United_States

He can issue Executive Orders, but these seem exactly the kind of non constitutional powers Ron Paul seems to be against. I would assume that he will not use this power, (can anybody confirm?)

He can veto new bills.

Given this I am trying to understand what would be a realistic list of issues that could be addressed in a Ron Paul presidency with both Senate and Congress set against him. I don't see how he could go after the income tax, let alone the rest of core issues at the heart of his campaign.

Welcome onboard, glad to see the money bomb actually worked!

-Well, he can save hundreds of billions of dollars from overseas. Put half of that into the national debt, the other half into programs people depend on (Social Security.)

-Appoint heads of departments (with approval by congress)

-Reverse executive orders by past presidents (like Bush)

-Veto bills

-End the war on drugs (leaving it up to the states), allowing hemp to be grown (multibillion dollar industry, good from of ethanol + clothing)

-Pardon non-violent persons whom are in jail (in jail for life for being a druggie but doing no harm or stealing or anything like that)

-Protect Borders*

-Introduce gold/silver-backed currency**

*I don't know the rest. Is protecting borders go under the title commander-in-chief? I think the laws are already in place for it, so he can protect borders.

**I don't know about this either. Kennedy did it with an executive order, but he died 3 months later.

um..ya

garrettwombat
11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powers_..._United_States

think of our forefathers and what they wanted, we try to envision a government like that.

the war was unconstitutional to begin with, thats why he would bring them back home, it was never justified... not just people in iraq, people in 120 other countries, there is a bigger threat to our national defense right now from being in war than not being in war protecting our borders and staying out of other peoples business.

He can veto new bills.

you would be surprised how many people in congress just go by what the president says without looking into anything... also, he could appeal to the people about the income tax thing.

Proemio
11-13-2007, 11:04 PM

It's not what issuing executive orders would accomplish, but what it would mean tearing up just those that are clearly unconstitutional.
How about a changed world...

There is so much that can be done. Look at the last few presidents - just in reverse.
In the mean time, we'd deal with any stragglers in Congress.

TechnoGuyRob
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
I could run for Congress and say I was one of the original Ron Paul grassroots.

Then all of you guys would vote for me.

noxagol
11-13-2007, 11:10 PM
In 2010, Ron Paul could bust open the two party hold. I am sure that we would most likely back any person running for any office that got Ron Paul's endorsement. I have 100% faith in Ron Paul to make a good decision when it comes to making an endorsement. And knowing Ron, he would choose based on principle and not party.

So, he could endorse a bunch of Constitutionalists, Libertarians, and Independents or what have you. And these people would have a MUCH greater chance of getting into office.

steph3n
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
I could run for Congress and say I was one of the original Ron Paul grassroots.

Then all of you guys would vote for me.

that is a real danger however, there will be people that try this just for their own selfish power and not the same convictions.

By the way, WELCOME Kevin!

Pharoah
11-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Imagine if all of the MSM had to print everything Ron Paul says - ALL OF THE TIME. That's pretty much what happens when the U.S. President speaks. How much effect would that have on the world? I'd like to think it would be a powerful beacon of hope.

wfd40
11-13-2007, 11:20 PM
This was a nice hypothetical inaugural address that gives an idea what Paul would likely do as president:

http://www.lewrockwell.com/orig8/kramer1.html

I love Dr. Paul, but some of the stuff in that 'mock inaugural address' is "ridiculous" and reads rather 'coldly'

kevinblack
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the warm welcome! really appreciate it.

Ozzy, great list! I had not thought about reversing previous executive orders. That seems to fit very well and after a quick look at previous orders could do a lot of good by itself.

So no way to cut the income tax or repell the patriot act? pity really.

me3
11-13-2007, 11:23 PM
To answer the OP, it's very simple.

He can create an opportunity to restore the republic. He can't do it by himself. He can only provide the forum and opportunity for citizens to choose a better course.

steph3n
11-13-2007, 11:24 PM

would require congress to aid in this :(

However the president has a big platform to push his ideas.

Menthol Patch
11-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Three words.

Unlimited Pardon Power.

me3
11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
He can push for repeal of the 16th amendment, as well as an expiration of the Patriot Act.

Again, this would be a presidency that would allow for legislation that reinforces the Constitution and limits government power. But he alone cannot do it. It will take continued pressure by the people upon their elected officials, and some diplomacy on his part to get bi-partisan support in the House and Senate.

Suffice it to say, with Dr. Paul in the executive branch, self-interested parties in the House and Senate would be on notice when trying to pass legislation that is not in the best interest of the people or within the confines of the Constitution.

steph3n
11-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Three words.

Unlimited Pardon Power.

sorry but you do not comprehend the complexity of the pardons. A pardon can come back and bite you fast, just like Huckabee's pushing for early release of someone.

It only takes one to "kill" you politically.

amonasro
11-13-2007, 11:45 PM
It would be the biggest change in American politics and law ever. So many things would change about our society, and for the better. Now that he is getting so popular I think about the challenges he will face. I'm always reassured by his intelligence and widsom--I'm certain he has some tricks up his sleeve if/when he takes office.

weatherbill
11-13-2007, 11:47 PM
all presidents have been commander and chief of the armed forces.....this is Constitutional, So he can bring troops home from 150 nations, saving 1 trillion a year from that, use some of that saved money and troops to put on the border. He can do that with a command without congress approval.
Use some of that money to revamp the the US treasury in making Gov issued money instead of fed issued money and introduce it into the economy as competition to the fed's fiat.
He can do that by executive order, like JFK did.
He can use his executive power to command all sheriffs of America that their counties are secure from IRS confiscations and raids.
The markets will be in termoil for the first couple years of his presidency and you can bet the central bankers will fight him, but thru this turmoil, we will arrise a free and majorly prosperous people, since the over 500 billino a year we pay the central bankers will be elliminated and our labor will be tax free...... there will be all that money freed up into the economy in the form of purchased goods, and services.....the economy will boom, while the rest of the word suffers under the hand of central bankers debt obligations.
Gold and silver will go boom! becasue of ROn Paul tying the new gov, currency to silver n gold, which will bring forth the true value of the fed dollar, which is pretty worthless and will begin to loose it's value in a huge way...........if RP gets in, silver and gold will go boom just from him getting in....the markets will go big on gold n silver just on speculation alone......
Anyone owning gold n silver will make a fortune!
RP will mandate a STATE's rights and for many things to be settled locally, like education. Since we won't have to pay fed tax, States will have so much more money to put into their own local education, as they too will have to readjust their tax situations.
There will be some turmoil when RP gets in, but it will be for the good long run for America, otherwise, we are gonna face runnaway inflation and economic crash within 10 years...... then welcome to another great depression and the destruction of the US fed dollar.

garrettwombat
11-13-2007, 11:53 PM

like i said he could always appeal to the people and it will definatly happen then.
it would be harder to get rid of the income tax... but as far the patriot act, i see that as being fairly simple.

FireofLiberty
11-13-2007, 11:58 PM
He could also repeal several decades of Unconstitutional Executive Orders as well as effectively bring government growth to a halt.

steph3n
11-14-2007, 12:02 AM
He could also repeal several decades of Unconstitutional Executive Orders as well as effectively bring government growth to a halt.
bringing government to a halt is not a winning point with D's or R's best you drop that one......i know from experience :(

me3
11-14-2007, 12:04 AM
Accountability and honesty are great selling points.

Paul4Prez
11-14-2007, 12:05 AM
Here's what Harry Browne (2-time LP candidate) promised to do if elected:

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=13247

Here's part of it:

No president since the 1950s has proposed a single budget that would reduce the size of the federal government. And when Congress has come back with even larger budgets, no president has vetoed them.

Every president who claimed to be against big government has had that veto at his disposal, but none thought enough of your freedom to use it.

As president, I would -- for the first time -- use that office on your behalf. I would say no to Congress. Whatever new program it wanted to spend money on, I would veto. Whatever new tax it wanted to impose, I would veto. Whatever new intrusion it wanted to make in your life, I would veto.

No deals. No excuses. No apologies. No regrets.

But I would do more than just defend what little freedom you have left today. I would go on the offensive. I wouldn't rest until the income tax was repealed, the federal government was so small you wouldn't worry about who was elected president, and you had control over your own money, your own freedom, your own life.

And when we achieved this, we'd have a celebration. Do you remember the German youths who tore down the Berlin Wall and sold pieces of it to us?

Well, we would tear down the IRS building and sell the pieces -- and use the proceeds to help IRS agents find honest work.

justinc.1089
11-14-2007, 12:07 AM
Could Paul tell the country the income tax is illegal and unratified, and therefore does not exist, and that therefore people don't need to pay income tax? Like basically just tell the country that everyone is paying it even though they're not required to legally really?

I know there would be extreme political fallout and Paul would really, really be going out taking an extreme risk doing that, but couldn't he do it if he decided too?

steph3n
11-14-2007, 12:45 AM
Could Paul tell the country the income tax is illegal and unratified, and therefore does not exist, and that therefore people don't need to pay income tax? Like basically just tell the country that everyone is paying it even though they're not required to legally really?

I know there would be extreme political fallout and Paul would really, really be going out taking an extreme risk doing that, but couldn't he do it if he decided too?

it would not be wise until the troops are home, it would be putting them at severe risk.

american.swan
11-14-2007, 12:52 AM
He can push for repeal of the 16th amendment, as well as an expiration of the Patriot Act.

Again, this would be a presidency that would allow for legislation that reinforces the Constitution and limits government power. But he alone cannot do it. It will take continued pressure by the people upon their elected officials, and some diplomacy on his part to get bi-partisan support in the House and Senate.

Suffice it to say, with Dr. Paul in the executive branch, self-interested parties in the House and Senate would be on notice when trying to pass legislation that is not in the best interest of the people or within the confines of the Constitution.

Right!! Congress would constantly be reminded of who the PEOPLE elected and also that to go against the PEOPLE they would have to override vetoes.

saahmed
11-14-2007, 12:55 AM
I know that he wont be able to accomplish everything he has set forth, but at least we know he is trying to head in that direction and he will make better decisions than anyone else in office.

MedicSean37
11-14-2007, 01:08 AM
-Pardon non-violent persons whom are in jail (in jail for life for being a druggie but doing no harm or stealing or anything like that)

Did he say he would actually do that or is that speculation? If so could you provide the source?

chrismatthews
11-14-2007, 01:10 AM
I know that he wont be able to accomplish everything he has set forth, but at least we know he is trying to head in that direction and he will make better decisions than anyone else in office.

Foreign policy and moentary policy would be the easiest accomplishments, much of that falls into the executive.

Also remember that politicians are political. If Paul wins, without compromising his platform, he'll have a mandate than many legislators will be afraid to tangle with. You may be surprised with how many of the politicians will line up for him.

The budget has to be reduced drastically before you can even worry about killing the IRS, and it wouldnt hurt to square our debt situation a bit also.

I think his biggest contribution will be ushering in a new era of politics. Assume for a moment that he accomplishes 30% of his platform. The US will be a much better place to live in, and our economy will be much much stronger. The next liberty loving candidate wont have to climb the same hurdles we're faced with today.

chrismatthews
11-14-2007, 01:11 AM
Did he say he would actually do that or is that speculation? If so could you provide the source?

I haven't seen him state this, but if he decriminalizes marijuana then you can assume that anyone doing time for this crime will be pardoned, so long as it's a non-violent conviction.

MedicSean37
11-14-2007, 01:14 AM
I haven't seen him state this, but if he decriminalizes marijuana then you can assume that anyone doing time for this crime will be pardoned, so long as it's a non-violent conviction.

Man that would be awesome. I think it's absolutely ridiculous that the government thinks it can tell you what you put in your own body. It's your life, it's your choice. Just don't come to me for help if you ruin your life. We need accountability in the USA not prisoners.

Grandson of Liberty
11-14-2007, 01:52 AM
I'd like to see him go on TV from the Oval Office and ask Americans to pressure their congressional reps to end the income tax. If they don't do it, ask the grassroots to work just as hard at electing new members in the midterm elections. Power of the Grassroots! Who knows, maybe even show the power by recalling a few of the particularly scummy ones.

nexus7
11-14-2007, 05:55 AM

No I believe you're incorrect here. Ron could in fact NOT SIGN for the patriot act to be renewed. The president has to sign it.

In fact he can veto a lot of things that come across his desk.

He can certainly solve the border issue and put thousands of new border patrol/agents or even national guard their. Which none of the other candidates would ever do.

nexus7
11-14-2007, 06:09 AM

In a word, YES.

He could also blanket pardon anyone and order his A.G. to ignore taxes.

RonPaulCult
11-14-2007, 06:33 AM
Don't forget that a president is THE political topic starter. Whatever the president chooses to talk about during press briefings, state of the union addresses, speeches, etc. ends up being reported in the media and taken care of in congress.

A perfect example:

In the middle of the "war on terror" bush decided it was really important to work on the HUGE problem of steroids in sports. Congress took action after it was mentioned in the state of the union.

Controlling the conversation is half of the battle. Ron Paul would have a 4 year stage to push his agenda in the faces of the American people and Americans will respond to it. It will put pressure on the other branches.

Also wouldn't he be able to close down whole departments if he so disired? I mean they are part of the executive branch are they not? If I'm not mistaken congress has to approve the creation of them - but what about the termination?

Also - sorry if I missed somebody else saying this but - NO he can't get rid of the patriot act. But the Attorny General is part of the executive branch and will be selected by Ron Paul. This will end the illegal practices currently deployed by the Federal Gov.

troyd1
11-14-2007, 06:43 AM
Whatever he does/can do, it will be a fight with congress. All their special interest groups will be in a tizzy over anything he tries to do. At worst government will not expand, at best he may be able to knock it back some. Some current politicians(probably a few) have the same beliefs, but not convictions as Ron and will come on board once they see it is safe and not political suicide. Most politicians will do or say anything to stay elected. They may even represent their constituents instead of the special interests they are beholding to.

johngr
11-14-2007, 06:44 AM
Whatever he does/can do, it will be a fight with congress. All their special interest groups will be in a tizzy over anything he tries to do.

He can push for repeal of the 16th amendment...

In the meantime he will completely defang the IRS by pardoning all tax evaders and instructing the AG not to prosecute tax cases (a moral man who consider the income tax slavery who believes in a duty to civilly disobey unjust laws can do no other thing.) He can issue an executive order making gold legal tender. Those two actions will force the Legislature's hand.

FireofLiberty
11-14-2007, 06:55 AM
bringing government to a halt is not a winning point with D's or R's best you drop that one......i know from experience :(

There's a difference between bringing government to a halt and bringing government growth to a halt.

Begood
11-14-2007, 07:26 AM
Ron Paul's First Action as President

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDM8US25xXg

Dequeant
11-14-2007, 07:35 AM

He's already stated the only "Executive Order" he would make is one retracting all previous Executive Orders. Now that's style.

JohnCrabtree
11-14-2007, 09:54 AM
He can appoint liberty loving constitutionalists to the supreme court.

The Kelo decision will be overturned, the second amendment will be interpretted to mean just what it means, that we have the rights that can not be taken away to own firearms (and bullets) on our persons, on our property and in our vehicles without fear of breaking any unjust laws.

The Patriot act will disapear, drug laws will be found unconstitutional and the 5th amendment taking clause will be re-written to prevent abuse. It will now state, that government can only take private land temporarily for the military to stop an invading army. Since in times of war we do not have to give soldiers a place to sleep, why must we in times of peace give our property to uncle sam?

Much more can be done but THIS is the real power of 8 years of a Ron Paul presidency.

nexalacer
11-14-2007, 10:30 AM
I think the biggest change, and the only real reason I'm going to vote for him, will be that he can greatly influence how people think about the state. A minarchist state is still morally reprehensible in my point of view, but at least it's not the leviathan it is today. And as soon as it shows signs of growth again (which it will!), people will be primed for the solution: no government at all!

seapilot
11-14-2007, 11:12 AM
Restore the Bill of Rights, introduce Liberty and Freedom to all americans and the world again.
Bring troops home from overseas saving trillions of $$$ spent protecting other countries while we shore up a much stronger defense here.
Protecting our borders by reforming imigration laws(get rid of welfare incentives)
Stop the economy from going down the tube by introducing money backed by tangible assets(gold other commodites)which creat real savings. STOP THE INSANE SPENDING IN D.C with the power of VETO.
I imagine he would be called Dr. VETO instead of Dr. No.
Restore confidence in this country, individual responsibilty and respect from the rest of the world.

Lower taxes for everyone, especially the average joe american so we can save more instead of going into debt for things we want to buy.

Most important: RETURN PRINCIPLE , INTEGRITY and HONESTY to the White House that hasnt been seen in generations. Last but not Least, UPHOLD THE OATH SWORN TO THE U.S. CONSTITUTION.

When Ron Paul is elected we know for a fact he will do these things. He wont lie to us when things get rough he will tell us the TRUTH. This is why he has thousands of people around the U.S.A and world working on thier own to get him elected. What the MSM doesnt get is this is not a Ron Paul Campaign this is really a campaign by the people for the people.

johngr
11-14-2007, 11:42 AM
He's already stated the only "Executive Order" he would make is one retracting all previous Executive Orders. Now that's style.

He did exactly not say that. He said in the speech in Philly that executive orders have been abused, that and he would rescind them but he also said that "some executlve... orders are permissible under the Constitution". I'm hoping he keeps and starts implementing 11110.