PDA

View Full Version : OR-Man shot by SWAT cops for defending his home that was NOT subject of raid.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2012, 04:44 PM
Combat ops.

Combat Quals.

Man shot by Washington County tactical officers had grabbed a gun because he thought there was an intruder on his property, family said

Published: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 12:49 PM Updated: Wednesday, March 14, 2012, 2:58 PM

http://www.oregonlive.com/portland/index.ssf/2012/03/man_shot_by_washington_county.html

The man shot by Washington County tactical officers in New Columbia Tuesday night had grabbed a gun because he thought intruders were on his property after his wife had checked on their barking dog in their backyard and saw a stranger in dark clothing.

Alberto Flores, according to relatives and witnesses, did not know that the men surrounding his home and neighborhood Tuesday night were police approaching to raid a residence just a few doors down from his home in the 9500 block of North Woolsey Avenue Tuesday night.

"There was someone in our backyard, and my mom called our stepdad," said Daniel Ibarra. "He told me to go upstairs and get the gun."

Ibarra, 17, said he didn't know where it was, and Flores followed him up the stairs and retrieved it. Ibarra said a stranger came through the home, and left through the front door.

Neighbor Juan Soto Martinez, 16, who lives across a walkway from Flores' home, said he heard Flores at his front door yelling with a man, who seemed to be outside, on the side of his house. Then, he heard multiple gunshots.

Ibarra found his stepdad collapsed in the front doorway of their home, shot in one arm and twice in the stomach, and called 9-1-1.

" I grabbed a rag and put pressure on his forearm," Ibarra recalled, and told his mother to grab a towel from the kitchen and place pressure on Flores' stomach wounds.

Ibarra said his family had no idea that the men surrounding their home in tactical uniforms of army green were from the Washington County Sheriff's Office's Tactical Negotiation Team, who were assisting police.

He said of his dad, "I think he just wanted to scare them away. He didn't know who they were."

While his father lay bleeding, Ibarra said he was ordered out of the house.

"Once I stepped outside, I was ordered to get on the ground," said Ibarra, a Roosevelt High School senior.

He said the rest of his family, his mother and four other children, between ages 5 and 13, were ordered to get out of the house, and then tactical officers grabbed his stepdad and carried him to a waiting ambulance.

Flores remains in serious condition at Legacy Emanuel Hospital & Health Center.

Portland police have said only that the man shot by officers had approached police with a handgun as officers were getting ready to serve a search warrant at a nearby, unrelated location.

Portland Sgt. Pete Simpson said early this morning that as police prepared to approach an apartment to execute a search warrant that a man from a nearby apartment emerged with a handgun. Simpson did not know if the man fired first or how many shots officers fired. He said only that "there was an exchange of gunfire." No officer was shot.

Police later in the night did serve a search warrant at a home just doors down from Flores' house on Northeast Woolsey Avenue, and arrested Anthony Bagsby, 20, and Cocoa Tapli, 16, who face accusations of attempted aggravated murder in connection with a Sunday night gang-related shooting and robbery on North Woolsey Avenue.

Portland Lt. Robert King declined to release any more details on the officer-involved shooting. He declined to release the name of the man shot, or explain why police were withholding the name. King also declined to answer whether the tactical officers had identified themselves as police outside Flores' home.

Portland had a mobile command center set up at the site through the night, and left about 10 a.m. today.

Many residents in the neighborhood said they got little sleep after they heard the gunshots. Some reported hearing between four and five, others said six or seven.

Martinez, who lives across from Flores' home, said he was watching TV in his living room, and caring for his younger brothers and sisters because their mom wasn't home at the time.

"I heard like 4 or 5 shots," Martinez said. When he looked out his window, "Alberto was laying in the front of his home, bleeding."

Martinez said he told his younger siblings to "get down," and then took them to an upstairs bathroom.

Residents in the area described Flores as a family man and a good neighbor, who worked loading trucks. They described him as in his 30s.

"He's a good neighbor," said Maria Bosyuk, who lives next door to Flores. She said her children heard the shooting and couldn't sleep.

"It sounded like three, then three more" shots, said Michelle Clopton, who lives on North Woolsey Avenue.

As she went to call 9-1-1, she heard police shouting commands to someone on a megaphone."The cops were on a loud speaker, saying 'Come out with your hands up!' Clopton said, who kept peeking out her window.

Another resident who asked not to be named said she was lying in bed when she heard six to seven gunshots. "I grabbed my phone to call police and noticed they were already all outside," she said.

scenephoto.jpgView full sizeMaxine Bernstein/The OregonianHome where Alberto Flores was shot, pictured far right. Building in foreground is location where tactical officers were readying to raid with a search warrant last night.
She said the police orders via megaphone came much later, at least an hour or so: "Come out of the house! Do it now!"

An officer instructed her to stay in the back of her house, she said, and she was worried about the many children in the neighborhood.

"I was sitting in my living room and heard a lot of shots," said Dorine Nafziger, a North Woolsey Avenue resident who lives with her husband and 3-year-old son.

She and her husband went upstairs and looked out their back window.

"We saw the big SWAT tank and a lot of officers in army green suits, helmets and shields," Nafziger said.

She got on Facebook to share information with other neighbors to figure out what was going on. At one point , she said she saw police lead five people from a home in handcuffs.

"It freaks us out," Nafziger said. "It's not the first time something like this has happened in our neighborhood." Sonja Andreas said the gunshots came in what she described as two staccato explosions. Then she said, she heard a lot of yelling and screaming.

She called 911 and said she was told, "Don't worry, there's a police action happening right now."

But Andreas said she didn't see the usual marked police cars, but a large armored vehicle, and men in what looked like military-type garb.

Tactical teams from Portland, Washington and Clackamas counties routinely rely on each other. Simpson said officers on these teams train with each other and are "fairly interchangeable." Washington County's tactical team is comprised of officers from multiple police agencies and was assisting Portland police last night as Portland's tactical team was in training.

Simpson did not know how many officers fired on the suspect or which agencies they represent.

Kylie
03-14-2012, 05:18 PM
He was facing an intruder.

It' just the intruders were more tactically armed. And had the authority of the state behind their use of force.

Hope he heals up, didn't see that he died. Hope not.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2012, 05:21 PM
He was facing an intruder.

It' just the intruders were more tactically armed. And had the authority of the state behind their use of force.

Hope he heals up, didn't see that he died. Hope not.

Hanging on, in serious condition.

If he recovers, he'll probably end up going to jail.

James Madison
03-14-2012, 05:23 PM
"Police later in the night did serve a search warrant at a home just doors down from Flores' house on Northeast Woolsey Avenue, and arrested Anthony Bagsby, 20, and Cocoa Tapli, 16, who face accusations of attempted aggravated murder in connection with a Sunday night gang-related shooting and robbery on North Woolsey Avenue."

Good thing we have the War on Drugs to protect all these innocent people.

aGameOfThrones
03-14-2012, 05:29 PM
Police later in the night did serve a search warrant at a home just doors down from Flores' house on Northeast Woolsey Avenue, and arrested Anthony Bagsby, 20, and Cocoa Tapli, 16, who face accusations of attempted aggravated murder in connection with a Sunday night gang-related shooting and robbery on North Woolsey Avenue.

Ironic.

phill4paul
03-14-2012, 05:33 PM
Washington County Sheriff's Office's Tactical Negotiation Team

Negotiated the hell out of 'im.

flightlesskiwi
03-14-2012, 05:35 PM
from another thread:

and i've gotten past feeling bad for cheering on the Afghans when they demonstrate and "riot" over the travesties that have been committed against them.

at least they have the balls to do it.

Anti Federalist
03-14-2012, 05:36 PM
from another thread:

I've felt that way for years now.

Was I doing bad?

I must report myself.

AFPVet
03-14-2012, 05:40 PM
"Don't worry, there's a police action happening right now."

Sick....

eduardo89