PDA

View Full Version : Absurd doctor says feeding babies raw milk is ‘child endangerment’

John F Kennedy III
03-13-2012, 10:11 AM
Absurd doctor says feeding babies raw milk is ‘child endangerment’

Ethan A. Huff
Natural News
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Incensed by the idea that Iowans might soon be able to make their own food choices when it comes to fresh dairy products, Daniel H. Gervich, M.D., a board-certified infectious diseases and critical care medicine doctor from Des Moines, Iowa, recently declared that feeding raw milk to babies is “child endangerment.”

This outlandish claim, which was part of a recent rant he made against raw dairy published in the Des Moines Register, infers that mothers who feed their babies raw milk are abusing their children. And should anything negative happen to these children during the time in which they are drinking raw milk, their parents should apparently be held criminally responsible in Dr. Gervich’s view.

The editorial was published in response to the proposition of House Study Bill 585, a bill that would undo the State of Iowa’s highly-restrictive laws against any sale or transfer of raw milk. If passed, H.S.B. 585 would allow farmers to sell raw milk and raw dairy products directly to customers from the farm, or have it delivered, without restrictions, to customers’ homes (http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us).

Demand for raw dairy all across the country is soaring as individuals learn about the health benefits of raw milk, including how lactose intolerance is not an issue when drinking raw milk. But in many states, including in Iowa, sales of raw milk are strictly prohibited, which is why legislation like H.S.B. 585 is being introduced everywhere.

But attempts to re-legalize access to raw milk continue to be met by outmoded superstition, bad science, and blatant misinformation campaigns designed to protect the filthy dairy industry from the threat of a burgeoning raw dairy market. After all, small-scale farmers can earn a much better living selling clean, pastured raw milk to their customers independently rather than be forced to process their milk into the standardized dairy pool, where they earn a mere fraction of the profits.

“Dr. Gervich’s overused soundbite simply serves as a perfect example of the establishment attempting to wreak fear in the hearts of all parents that their children might be removed from their home if they do not agree with the prevailing medical or nutritional model consistent with medical, industry, government, (and) stakeholder made up standards,” wrote Eileen Dannemann, director of theNational Coalition of Organized Women, in response to Dr. Gervich’s editorial.

“Does the Doctor, unschooled in nutrition, plan on calling Child Protective Services for ‘child endangerment’ on those mothers who seek unadulterated, un-homogenized, un-pasteurized farm fresh milk from a sister species as a substantially equivalent substitute?”

Sources for this article include:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com

http://www.activistpost.com

article here:
http://www.infowars.com/absurd-doctor-says-feeding-babies-raw-milk-is-child-endangerment/

originally here:
http://www.naturalnews.com/035225_raw_milk_doctor_child_endangerment.html

oyarde
03-13-2012, 10:30 AM
This guy wants to see some child endangerment , he needs to get out in the world.

RileyE104
03-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Of course I don't agree but why would you do that anyways?

I mean, is it some sort of alternative due to a mother not being able to breastfeed?

It always sickens me when someone CAN breastfeed their baby but choose not to out of convenience for themselves.. But hey, it's their kid.

thoughtomator
03-13-2012, 11:37 AM
get his license pulled for malpractice... problem solved

John F Kennedy III
03-13-2012, 12:17 PM
get his license pulled for malpractice... problem solved

This.

newuser123
03-13-2012, 12:31 PM
I don't know anything about this really....but it seems like it would be rather risky to feed a fragile baby, without a developed immune system, the untreated milk of livestock. Wouldn't human breast milk be a much better choice?

PaulConventionWV
03-13-2012, 12:37 PM
Absurd doctor says feeding babies raw milk is ‘child endangerment’

Ethan A. Huff
Natural News
Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Incensed by the idea that Iowans might soon be able to make their own food choices when it comes to fresh dairy products, Daniel H. Gervich, M.D., a board-certified infectious diseases and critical care medicine doctor from Des Moines, Iowa, recently declared that feeding raw milk to babies is “child endangerment.”

This outlandish claim, which was part of a recent rant he made against raw dairy published in the Des Moines Register, infers that mothers who feed their babies raw milk are abusing their children. And should anything negative happen to these children during the time in which they are drinking raw milk, their parents should apparently be held criminally responsible in Dr. Gervich’s view.

The editorial was published in response to the proposition of House Study Bill 585, a bill that would undo the State of Iowa’s highly-restrictive laws against any sale or transfer of raw milk. If passed, H.S.B. 585 would allow farmers to sell raw milk and raw dairy products directly to customers from the farm, or have it delivered, without restrictions, to customers’ homes (http://coolice.legis.state.ia.us).

Demand for raw dairy all across the country is soaring as individuals learn about the health benefits of raw milk, including how lactose intolerance is not an issue when drinking raw milk. But in many states, including in Iowa, sales of raw milk are strictly prohibited, which is why legislation like H.S.B. 585 is being introduced everywhere.

But attempts to re-legalize access to raw milk continue to be met by outmoded superstition, bad science, and blatant misinformation campaigns designed to protect the filthy dairy industry from the threat of a burgeoning raw dairy market. After all, small-scale farmers can earn a much better living selling clean, pastured raw milk to their customers independently rather than be forced to process their milk into the standardized dairy pool, where they earn a mere fraction of the profits.

“Dr. Gervich’s overused soundbite simply serves as a perfect example of the establishment attempting to wreak fear in the hearts of all parents that their children might be removed from their home if they do not agree with the prevailing medical or nutritional model consistent with medical, industry, government, (and) stakeholder made up standards,” wrote Eileen Dannemann, director of theNational Coalition of Organized Women, in response to Dr. Gervich’s editorial.

“Does the Doctor, unschooled in nutrition, plan on calling Child Protective Services for ‘child endangerment’ on those mothers who seek unadulterated, un-homogenized, un-pasteurized farm fresh milk from a sister species as a substantially equivalent substitute?”

Sources for this article include:

http://www.desmoinesregister.com

http://www.activistpost.com

article here:
http://www.infowars.com/absurd-doctor-says-feeding-babies-raw-milk-is-child-endangerment/

originally here:
http://www.naturalnews.com/035225_raw_milk_doctor_child_endangerment.html

Assuming you mean cow's milk, it's certainly not good for the baby. In that sense, I guess you could call it "child endangerment." People always jump the gun defending raw milk just because it's a banned substance, and we all hate it when the government arbitrarily bans something. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the substance is good for anyone.

Voluntary Man
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Mothers must now hot-tub for an hour, immediately preceding each breastfeeding.

puppetmaster
03-13-2012, 12:48 PM
Raw milk is good tasting and has many benefits for many uses. I was raised on it and still enjoy ( I do not get sick). We always take care in the milking process and I know it is better than processed milk

Seraphim
03-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Hey Doc, the mothers own breast milk IS raw milk...you fuckin' twit.

donnay
03-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Assuming you mean cow's milk, it's certainly not good for the baby. In that sense, I guess you could call it "child endangerment." People always jump the gun defending raw milk just because it's a banned substance, and we all hate it when the government arbitrarily bans something. However, that doesn't necessarily mean the substance is good for anyone.

Let me ask you this...how did people survive in the centuries past without the FDA and brainwashed doctors?

Did you know doctors used to prescribed raw milk to sick people?

"Galen and other ancient physicians used raw milk in the treatment of disease. As late as the 20th century, modern physicians prescribed the raw milk cure to their patients for treatment of most diseases. During the 1920’s, Dr. J.E. Crewe of the Mayo Foundation used an exclusive diet of raw milk to cure Tuberculosis, high blood pressure, prostate disease, diabetes, kidney disease, chronic fatigue and obesity. Raw milk therapy is still successfully used today in German hospitals. There have even been reports of people living for decades on nothing but raw milk."

http://www.sunherb.com/RawMilk.htm

http://www.realmilk.com/rawmilkoverview.html

TC95
03-13-2012, 12:58 PM
So, how young of babies are we talking here? I think most people know that giving it to infants would be a bad idea. Human infants need human raw milk, not raw milk from cows.

AFPVet
03-13-2012, 01:05 PM
Wow... so none of us should be alive right now if fresh milk is deadly... lol. Yes... a baby needs its mother's milk; however, once it is weened off of it, what's wrong with fresh bovine milk?

newuser123
03-13-2012, 01:12 PM
Did you know doctors used to prescribed raw milk to sick people?

LOL And you know in 1850 the life expectancy of a new born in the US was 39 years? (now it's 80)

Doctor's also used to prescribe great things like bloodletting , lobotomy, trepenation, and drinking your own urine.

hxxp://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html

dannno
03-13-2012, 01:17 PM
However, that doesn't necessarily mean the substance is good for anyone.

Then why does raw milk benefit children with asthma and allergies while pasteurized milk is one of the main causes of the significant increase in asthma and allergies we've seen in past decades?

If you know anything about raw milk vs. pasteurized milk, then this simple fact should teach you a lot about nutrition and food.

eduardo89
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
What next, mandatory pasteurization of breast milk?

puppetmaster
03-13-2012, 01:18 PM
no one food is perfect but raw foods are best and are important to our health. I eat raw foods when possible except for my meats.
I believe that the benefits of raw cows milk outweigh the cons

AFPVet
03-13-2012, 01:20 PM
LOL And you know in 1850 the life expectancy of a new born in the US was 39 years? (now it's 80)

Doctor's also used to prescribe great things like bloodletting , lobotomy, trepenation, and drinking your own urine.

hxxp://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html

In the towns, yes... not in the country. In the rural areas, people actually lived longer than they do now. Look at some old tomb stones in rural cemeteries for historical research... you will be surprised.

Kelly.
03-13-2012, 01:28 PM

thanks for the tip, ill call my local bureaucrat now

youngbuck
03-13-2012, 01:56 PM
He's just going by the big-pharma curriculum he was taught in medical school.

NoOneButPaul
03-13-2012, 02:05 PM
I can undersand and respect people's want for raw milk but he isn't absurd for thinking this...

Raw milk killed tens of thousands of people in the 20s and 30s, there's a stigma there for a reason and he's been taught it his entire life.

Also as raw milk has become more popular over the last couple years doctors have seen a dramatic increase in raw milk related illnesses.

Everyone always wants to talk tolerance about freedom until there's something they don't agree with... if you want to drink raw milk, fine, but if he wants to say it's fucking crazy because all the "evidence" shows that is it, fine.

That's what America is supposed to be about...by tearing him apart we're no different than the people who would do the same to us.

fade
03-13-2012, 02:09 PM
I believe in the benefits of Raw Milk, but I won't personally give it to my son yet because I don't really want to take a risk with his developing immune system and his age. He just turned 2 so I am considering it. The biggest thing to me is finding a dairy I can trust and a farmer that tests his products and has a sterile environment.

I don't think pasteurized milk is a very good choice compared to Raw Milk, but for my son and for the risks (that I don't have enough time to educate myself on - from farmer to farm) pasteurized milk will have to do until I feel like he is old enough he wouldn't die if he had some sort of bad illness from the milk.

I could never forgive myself if I gave him Raw Milk and had something bad happen to him where it caused him any sort of permanent harm or any kind of suffering. For that reason I am choosing it wait until he is older and I can find a farmer I trust.

donnay
03-13-2012, 02:43 PM

Hey don't give them any ideas! They may even want you to sterilize your nipples first!

nasaal
03-13-2012, 02:44 PM
So we the freedom loving people are bashing someone for exercising their own freedom of speech? We want to be respected for our opinions. But we can't respect a licensed doctor's medical opinion because he disagrees with us?

eduardo89
03-13-2012, 02:46 PM
Hey don't give them any ideas! They may even want you to sterilize your nipples first!

My nipples?!?! But why?!

donnay
03-13-2012, 02:48 PM

Sanitation and better hygiene has more to do with it than anything.

donnay
03-13-2012, 02:49 PM
My nipples?!?! But why?!

I meant women's nipples---sorry! :D

awake
03-13-2012, 02:50 PM
It's a 'Brave New World' don't you know?

I would post an article of another idiot savant who wants to genetically engineer humans to have cat eyes to save on carbon emissions, but this guy seems be enough stupidity at the moment.

donnay
03-13-2012, 02:54 PM
So we the freedom loving people are bashing someone for exercising their own freedom of speech? We want to be respected for our opinions. But we can't respect a licensed doctor's medical opinion because he disagrees with us?

Hey I have no problem with the doc's first amendment--he can say anything he wants. However, when his so-called professional opinion infringes on me and my family then we have a problem!!

It's the pseudo science/doctors that have been the cause of much of our personal freedoms to be taken away. Much of which were tutored by eugenicists and on the purse strings of Big pHARMa.

gerryb
03-13-2012, 03:07 PM

NO!

He is telling the State they should lock up parents for making an informed decision.

THAT is what we are discussing.

Voluntary Man
03-13-2012, 03:34 PM

This might help:

nasaal
03-13-2012, 03:36 PM
NO!

He is telling the State they should lock up parents for making an informed decision.

THAT is what we are discussing.
It is his opinion as a doctor that they should. I would like to see Bush voters thrown in jail. Doesn't mean I hate liberty, doesn't anything but that I expressed my opinion. You can disagree with his medical assessment if you want. IF people were attacking it from that basis fine. But the inflammatory and condescending remarks used are the exact type we hate people using when referencing our opinions. If people responded to our opinion with such disdain and agression we would be outraged and furious at them. We do the same to someone else? It must be justified. We should be better than that.

eduardo89
03-13-2012, 03:39 PM
So, how young of babies are we talking here? I think most people know that giving it to infants would be a bad idea. Human infants need human raw milk, not raw milk from cows.

I agree. I personally see feeding a baby under 6 months anything but human breastmilk (preferably straight from the source) as child abuse. I wouldnt call for the state to enforce that though. Just ostracize all those idiotic women who refuse to breastfeeding their babies.

John F Kennedy III
03-13-2012, 03:55 PM
Hey I have no problem with the doc's first amendment--he can say anything he wants. However, when his so-called profession opinion infringes on me and my family then we have a problem!!

It's the pseudo science/doctors that have been the cause of much of our personal freedoms to be taken away. Much of which were tutored by eugenicists and on the purse strings of Big pHARMa.

Well said Ma'am.

John F Kennedy III
03-13-2012, 03:56 PM
I agree. I personally see feeding a baby under 6 months anything but human breastmilk (preferably straight from the source) as child abuse. I wouldnt call for the state to enforce that though. Just ostracize all those idiotic women who refuse to breastfeeding their babies.

This.

I add so much to the RPF conversations, how do I ever find the time? :p

Isaac Bickerstaff
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
More children die from commercial formula than from raw milk.
I know a family that used raw milk formula exclusively for their very healthy child. My raw milk-fed, never-been-sick one-year old makes other mothers feel admittedly inadequate.
I also know a family whose children looked like lizard people because of eczema until they started drinking raw milk.
Actually, I know dozens of mothers whose raw milk fed children are head and shoulders above their peers.

Can't blame people for being scared, though; mass media breeds ignorance and ignorance breeds fear.

VBRonPaulFan
03-13-2012, 06:07 PM
Raw, unpasteurized milk from healthy, strictly grass fed cows is one of the healthiest things you can possibly put in your body. Most of the negative stigma has been from raw milk coming from unsanitary conditions or from poor packaging, not because there is anything wrong with consuming raw milk.

donnay
03-13-2012, 06:33 PM
This might help:

LOL!! Yes sterilization is key!

moderate libertarian
03-13-2012, 10:50 PM

With current gas prices and economy, not many mothers can afford that.

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:02 PM
Hey Doc, the mothers own breast milk IS raw milk...you fuckin' twit. Ahh man , I sucked those boobs pretty hard before the babies came around , I was drinking too , I told Mamma not to worry ,should be sterile , here you are blowing my cover .... ;) , I really should not have said that , but it is true...

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:08 PM

hxxp://www.infoplease.com/ipa/A0005140.html WHAT , YOU HAVE NEVER DRANK YOUR OWN BLOOD OR URINE ? guess you have never travailed a desert with no water. Rookie, ;}

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:13 PM
Then why does raw milk benefit children with asthma and allergies while pasteurized milk is one of the main causes of the significant increase in asthma and allergies we've seen in past decades?

If you know anything about raw milk vs. pasteurized milk, then this simple fact should teach you a lot about nutrition and food. ;) , I would never drink any milk , myself unless , I had too , without some 100 proof vodka and some of that Kamora or whatever in it. ;)

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:18 PM
He's just going by the big-pharma curriculum he was taught in medical school. Yeah , well , maybe he should have spent a bit more time , living & learning and less time wasted away at school ?

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:21 PM
It is his opinion as a doctor that they should. I would like to see Bush voters thrown in jail. Doesn't mean I hate liberty, doesn't anything but that I expressed my opinion. You can disagree with his medical assessment if you want. IF people were attacking it from that basis fine. But the inflammatory and condescending remarks used are the exact type we hate people using when referencing our opinions. If people responded to our opinion with such disdain and agression we would be outraged and furious at them. We do the same to someone else? It must be justified. We should be better than that. He took an oath to do no harm. I have taken few oaths , but meet my obligations ..... ???

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:25 PM
I can undersand and respect people's want for raw milk but he isn't absurd for thinking this...

Raw milk killed tens of thousands of people in the 20s and 30s, there's a stigma there for a reason and he's been taught it his entire life.

Also as raw milk has become more popular over the last couple years doctors have seen a dramatic increase in raw milk related illnesses.

Everyone always wants to talk tolerance about freedom until there's something they don't agree with... if you want to drink raw milk, fine, but if he wants to say it's fucking crazy because all the "evidence" shows that is it, fine.

That's what America is supposed to be about...by tearing him apart we're no different than the people who would do the same to us. I could give a crap what you drink if it is milk , goats milk , cow milk , breastmilk

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:28 PM
Milk of magnesia , ( buttermilk , now that shit is nasty ) etc... , I am wise , and will leave it up to you ....

donnay
03-13-2012, 11:36 PM
;) , I would never drink any milk , myself unless , I had too , without some 100 proof vodka and some of that Kamora or whatever in it. ;)

If my memory serves me, John D. Rockefeller had a wet nurse until the day he died. Most of the aristocrats hired wet nurses too!

oyarde
03-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Hot tubs .... I always wanted one , how much electric do they use ? and can I run one off of wood heat ??