PDA

View Full Version : Last minute info on Tuesday's Hawaii caucus and Ron Paul

DannydeGracia2
03-12-2012, 10:52 PM
Greetings, just wanted to let you know I posted a new article on all the last minute info on tomorrow's first ever Hawaii GOP presidential caucus, get the skinny here:

http://communities.washingtontimes.com/neighborhood/making-waves-hawaii-perspective-washington-politic/2012/mar/12/obamas-home-state-grabs-republicans-campaign-wire-/

I'm going to be at Hawaii GOP reporting and tweeting ... I and my colleagues are using the Twitter hashtag #808caucus if you want updates.

opinionatedfool
03-12-2012, 10:54 PM
What time are the results supposed to come in EST?

ichirix
03-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Hawaii is 6 hours behind EST, and their caucus is 6pm-8pm local time. I'd assume by 2am EST.

On a side note. American Samoa is 7 hours behind EST.

DannydeGracia2
03-12-2012, 10:59 PM
What time are the results supposed to come in EST?

I spoke to the Hawaii GOP chairman, the polls will close at 8pm HST (+6 EST so 2am EST?) but from what I understand they are going to try to be very quick about it. Besides this is not a big state. Obama had his caucus last week and only 1.3k voted in a heavy Democrat state so I imagine there won't be too many Republican votes to have to sit through to know who won tomorrow.

CHOCOLATEsteven
03-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Greetings, just wanted to let you know I posted a new article on all the last minute info on tomorrow's first ever Hawaii GOP presidential caucus

I'm going to be at Hawaii GOP reporting and tweeting ... I and my colleagues are using the Twitter hashtag #808caucus if you want updates.
I'm going to be in Hilo caucusing tomorrow, is there a list of pro-ron paul nominations for delegates in Hawaii? I will self-nominate, unless I can find someone in a better position to follow up.

DannydeGracia2
03-12-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm going to be in Hilo caucusing tomorrow, is there a list of pro-ron paul nominations for delegates in Hawaii? I will self-nominate, unless I can find someone in a better position to follow up.

Not that I know of - do you mean elected officials endorsing Ron Paul or endorsements in general?

Also, side note ... you'll be reassured to know Ron Paul's campaign was the first and only to acquire and register poll watchers for all districts so the chances of voter fraud in this election will be almost zero.

CHOCOLATEsteven
03-12-2012, 11:05 PM
sweet. What I mean is a list of people that will vote for Ron Paul whenever they can as delegates.

tsai3904
03-12-2012, 11:06 PM

You won't be voting for delegates. All you need to do is vote for Ron Paul.

DannydeGracia2
03-12-2012, 11:09 PM
You won't be voting for delegates. All you need to do is vote for Ron Paul.

Correct. The delegates are selected by the campaigns, not by the voters - I discuss this in the article.

tsai3904
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
Know that ANYONE with a photo ID (that shows a Hawaii address) can show up and register on the spot to vote for Ron Paul. They will have to sign a Republican Party card but that card means absolutely nothing.

PauliticsPolitics
03-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Why the hash #808caucus ?
(as opposed to #HIcaucus)

EDIT:
Figured it out, that's the Hawaii area code.
So that changes the question to: Why area code instead of #HIcaucus?
I assume the rest of media will use #HIcaucus. No?

CHOCOLATEsteven
03-12-2012, 11:16 PM
Why the hash #808caucus ?
(as opposed to #HIcaucus)

EDIT:
Figured it out, that's the Hawaii area code.
So that changes the question to: Why area code instead of #HIcaucus?
I assume the rest of media will use #HIcaucus. No?

For people from Hawaii, 808 is a good local indicator. We only have one area code statewide, so people identify with the number strongly. hell, my psn username is
N808IVE.

carterm
03-12-2012, 11:20 PM
great work! bring all of your friends to the caucus! take them out for coffee or something

Tinnuhana
03-12-2012, 11:24 PM
Anyone been to see the schoolanders (sp?) who put out "the Philosophy of Liberty"? They have a regular group over there and would surely vote Paul and get their friends and families to. Also, contact any Uchinanchu (Okinawan ancestry) groups...don't get much more anti-"foreign entanglements" than those guys.
We are 19 hrs ahead of Hawai'i and I'm on my way home now to make some calls. Ten hours ago, I got one undecided, one wrong number, and 33 not at home (about half had a message machine). So no luck there, yet.
If we have anyone on the gorund there, they should take some LDS for Ron Paul info over the the student unions, etc. at BYU-HI and see if there are any independent thinkers there. You might be surprised.

DannydeGracia2
03-12-2012, 11:28 PM
Anyone been to see the schoolanders (sp?) who put out "the Philosophy of Liberty"? They have a regular group over there and would surely vote Paul and get their friends and families to. Also, contact any Uchinanchu (Okinawan ancestry) groups...don't get much more anti-"foreign entanglements" than those guys.
We are 19 hrs ahead of Hawai'i and I'm on my way home now to make some calls. Ten hours ago, I got one undecided, one wrong number, and 33 not at home (about half had a message machine). So no luck there, yet.
If we have anyone on the gorund there, they should take some LDS for Ron Paul info over the the student unions, etc. at BYU-HI and see if there are any independent thinkers there. You might be surprised.

Schoolland. Yes, nice man and great family.

PolicyReader
03-12-2012, 11:34 PM
thanks for the updates, looking forward to hearing as results unfold

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 01:08 AM
thanks for the updates, looking forward to hearing as results unfold

No problem. It's important to understand Hawaii is a very small state with a very small population and an even SMALLER GOP registered base so tomorrow is all about the weather, traffic and who is able to get to the polls. In Hawaii a lot of people work late, traffic on Oahu takes 75 minutes going home outside of Honolulu and the polls are only open for two hours. If Ron Paul wants to win he should - in my opinion - organize buses and volunteer drivers to take people to the polls. I think this vote tomorrow is less about popularity or perception and ALL about who can actually GET people to the caucus location.

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 01:52 AM
No problem. It's important to understand Hawaii is a very small state with a very small population and an even SMALLER GOP registered base so tomorrow is all about the weather, traffic and who is able to get to the polls. In Hawaii a lot of people work late, traffic on Oahu takes 75 minutes going home outside of Honolulu and the polls are only open for two hours. If Ron Paul wants to win he should - in my opinion - organize buses and volunteer drivers to take people to the polls. I think this vote tomorrow is less about popularity or perception and ALL about who can actually GET people to the caucus location.
From what you're saying the 'Get people to the polls' aspect is even more significant than I'd understood, I'll be 'crossing my fingers' that the Campaign is addressing things in an organized fashion there & that our grassroots steps up and offers rides to any other supporters/neighbors who need them :)

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 01:59 AM
From what you're saying the 'Get people to the polls' aspect is even more significant than I'd understood, I'll be 'crossing my fingers' that the Campaign is addressing things in an organized fashion there & that our grassroots steps up and offers rides to any other supporters/neighbors who need them :)

A key part of state and county campaigns is transportation ... that's how you win a campaign. Here's the thing most people would be shocked about: in many cases people who get polled and say "I'm voting for Candidate A" or "I'm voting for Candidate B" never actually show up to vote. It's a rarity to have a "perfect voter" these days who actually goes to vote at a caucus or votes EV/Absentee in a primary/general. Most people just talk and never do. And they think on the day of the election they can show up with the poll closing in 30 minutes that they can race out and vote, then decide at the last minute "bah, traffic, I'll just go home."

I was a poll watcher in 2010. I saw people STANDING IN LINE decide to go home. People are so sensitive and in general thin skinned, hence why democracy virtually ensures that none but bad and dangerous men ever rise to the top of government ...

bunklocoempire
03-13-2012, 02:35 AM

QFT.

I may be able to help on the Big Island from Hilo to Mt. View side if anyone hears of any need.

I've got several voters to deliver between 6-8 p.m. to HD5 pcts 5-1, 5-2, 5-3 (Mt View, Glenwood, Volcano) New Hope Volcano, 11-3019A Volcano Rd, Volcano, HI

PM me with details of any needs, I'll be checking for messages off and on up until roll time.

afwjam is also on Hilo side and may be able to help.

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 02:42 AM
A key part of state and county campaigns is transportation ... that's how you win a campaign. Here's the thing most people would be shocked about: in many cases people who get polled and say "I'm voting for Candidate A" or "I'm voting for Candidate B" never actually show up to vote. It's a rarity to have a "perfect voter" these days who actually goes to vote at a caucus or votes EV/Absentee in a primary/general. Most people just talk and never do. And they think on the day of the election they can show up with the poll closing in 30 minutes that they can race out and vote, then decide at the last minute "bah, traffic, I'll just go home."

I was a poll watcher in 2010. I saw people STANDING IN LINE decide to go home. People are so sensitive and in general thin skinned, hence why democracy virtually ensures that none but bad and dangerous men ever rise to the top of government ...
Politics has always been pretty big in my family, we'd often talk issues the way some families talk sports, I remember watching the Oliver North testify when I was young (must have been about 4 I guess). I've been a poll worker etc. and I think I'm falling prey a bit to my own blind-spots. Intellectually I know that most people don't vote, even among those who register in the first place and that party primaries (and local elections) tend to get lower turn outs on average. But even knowing that on a cognitive level it's still hard for me to picture someone actually not voting because it's so far from my own paradigm.
That story about people who were in line and just walked away... :eek::confused: again I know it happens but I can't even fathom.
And in this election, well that astounds me doubly. Doing GOTV efforts for places like ND and WA and having some of the people saying they weren't going to show up because of when they got off work.. well let me contrast it my buddy in Idaho who works graveyards skipped a night of sleep and brought people in his car when he went to caucus. I guess it boils down to, I knew I was an outlier but I didn't realize how much of one :p

EDIT: Now THIS is more my speed :D

QFT.

I may be able to help on the Big Island from Hilo to Mt. View side if anyone hears of any need.

I've got several voters to deliver between 6-8 p.m. to HD5 pcts 5-1, 5-2, 5-3 (Mt View, Glenwood, Volcano) New Hope Volcano, 11-3019A Volcano Rd, Volcano, HI

PM me with details of any needs, I'll be checking for messages off and on up until roll time.

And to you good sir, thank you +rep and if I hear anything I'll be sure to touch base.

bunklocoempire
03-13-2012, 02:46 AM
great work! bring all of your friends to the caucus! take them out for coffee or something

Yep.:)

http://s6.postimage.org/avx4rxdgx/vote.jpg

hillertexas
03-13-2012, 06:47 AM
bump

Esoteric
03-13-2012, 07:47 AM
QFT.

+rep for you! Danny, do you have friends/family who are attending as well? Thank you both for everything you've done! Your efforts have a magnified impact, given the relatively small turnout.

Trigonx
03-13-2012, 07:49 AM
thanks for the article, also thanks for the other articles on the Hawaii caucuses.

realtonygoodwin
03-13-2012, 08:11 AM

The group is The Foolish Things, and unfortunately a bunch of them are the "voting is a form of violence" types, from what I understand.

digitaldean
03-13-2012, 08:19 AM
This link will help you find your location in Hawaii:

http://www.gophawaii.com/2012-presidential-caucus/

Also try to be delegates for any of the 4 in case Paul doesn't win if possible.

If you need to win people over then please print these out:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/85115598/Comparison

Tinnuhana
03-13-2012, 08:21 AM
I guess some of the freestaters feel that way, also. Oh, well...

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
http://www.gophawaii.com/presidential-caucus-locations

caucus locations....

digitaldean
03-13-2012, 08:24 AM
Also can anyone vote in Hawaii in matter of party? If so please if you live in Hawaii tell your friends on Facebook/Twitter to go out and vote. Voting places:

http://www.gophawaii.com/2012-presidential-caucus/

tsai3904
03-13-2012, 09:16 AM
Also try to be delegates for any of the 4 in case Paul doesn't win if possible.

You can't be delegates for the other candidates. Each campaign gets to choose their own delegates so it'll be near impossible to get picked by the other candidates' campaign.

Also can anyone vote in Hawaii in matter of party?

There is no party registration in Hawaii so yes, anyone can vote in the Hawaii Republican caucus. All they need is a photo ID that includes a Hawaii address and they will need to sign a Republican Party card when they show up saying that they are joining the Republican Party. That card means absolutely nothing though.

Agorism
03-13-2012, 09:37 AM
didn't 538 give us decent odds to win this?

seawolf
03-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Good luck RP Hawaiian Supporters from the Mainland. Please GOTV and bring your friends and relatives to the Caucus tonight to vote for Ron Paul!!!!

UMULAS
03-13-2012, 09:51 AM
Is there any way to call the people of hawaii?

digitaldean
03-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Please if you live in Hawaii tell all your facebook/twitter friends to come out and vote since anyone can vote no matter of party. Does anyone know how many people voted in 2008 since that number is hard to find.

tsai3904
03-13-2012, 10:07 AM
Does anyone know how many people voted in 2008 since that number is hard to find.

There was no straw poll in 2008 so there is no accurate figure of how many people participated. What they did was elect delegates to their State Convention and then awarded delegates to McCain at the State Convention.

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 10:14 AM
thanks for the article, also thanks for the other articles on the Hawaii caucuses.

Thank you! Ron Paul has the opportunity to score a first win here. I truly believe that. It all comes down to tactics and planning.

digitaldean
03-13-2012, 10:16 AM
Read what happened in 2008:

http://ronpaulromania.blogspot.com/2008/05/hawaii-republican-convention-was-lowest.html

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 10:34 AM
bump!

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 10:35 AM

http://ronpaulromania.blogspot.com/2008/05/hawaii-republican-convention-was-lowest.html

wow.

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 10:47 AM
wow.

Yeah but the game is different today. The other one was a state convention, this is a party run primary spread across 41 sites on multiple islands. No script can effect todays results. Not only that but Paul has registered poll watchers at all sites. There is no way this one can fail.

Crotale
03-13-2012, 10:47 AM
Would be nice to win here going into the deep south, which isn't exactly our strongest territory. :(

Just think: GOTV, GOTV, GOTV and delegates, delegates, delegates. :)

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 10:52 AM
Would be nice to win here going into the deep south, which isn't exactly our strongest territory. :(

Just think: GOTV, GOTV, GOTV and delegates, delegates, delegates. :)

I already wrote about how to pull a win here, so they (and everyone else lol) has the tactics to win. But now it comes down to work!

bunklocoempire
03-13-2012, 01:39 PM

Thanks for that and bump.

It is articles like this that I use with the NOBP tactic. When folks see how this movement has been treated, and how it has not gone away but grown, they tend to ponder a bit.

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 01:42 PM
Danny is tweeting stuff here: https://twitter.com/#!/DannysKorner

seawolf
03-13-2012, 02:06 PM
GOTV thru out every island!!!! Let's surprise the political pundits.......

deputydon
03-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Ahhh good old Hawaii.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vFVp00-19M

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 03:43 PM
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @DannysKorner and use #808caucus as your Twitter hashtag ... I'm monitoring the situation on the ground and I will be going to GOP HQ later on to report ....

WD-NY
03-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Be sure to follow me on Twitter @DannysKorner and use #808caucus as your Twitter hashtag ... I'm monitoring the situation on the ground and I will be going to GOP HQ later on to report ....

Eh, what's the point if the guy is going to retweet bullshit like this (without following it up with a little snark)?

#Santorum (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Santorum) to #Hawaii (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23Hawaii) voters via Facebook "Your vote builds an even stronger voice for the proven consistent conservatism"#808caucus (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23808caucus) #tcot (https://twitter.com/#!/search/%23tcot)

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 03:48 PM
Because I am a journalist I have to report ALL not just one side ... I would have no credibility if I only tweeted stuff for Paul.

alucard13mmfmj
03-13-2012, 03:49 PM
from the hawaii GOP homepage it is 6pm-8pm? so that would mean we should know the results after 11pm (PST)... almost everyone on east coast would be alseep XD...

hopefully east coast wakes up to a surprise win?

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 03:51 PM
from the hawaii GOP homepage it is 6pm-8pm? so that would mean we should know the results after 11pm (PST)... almost everyone on east coast would be alseep XD...

hopefully east coast wakes up to a surprise win?

Possibly. Depends entirely on how many people leave work early enough to vote and actually decide to vote (the caucus is during weekday rush hour and Honolulu, where the population works has traffic that is dense). I expect Paul to do better in the urban parts of Oahu.

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 04:00 PM
didn't 538 give us decent odds to win this?
Nate Silver (over at 538) projects Paul in 2nd behind Romney by 8%
I won't go into all the methods he used and the implications (it's not a bad read tho :) )
I'll just say that outside of what our own RPF members in Hawaii have clued us in on it's one of the most encouraging things I've read.
Remember % of votes is essentially 'zero sum' so shifting 8% with the conditions in Hawaii on the ground is quite doable. (also note that the projection of Mr. Silvers that I 'am referencing was the least favorable to Paul out of the three he possibilities he presented)

As has been said it's all about ground game now, it's Get Out The Vote and getting people to the polls.
If you know anyone in HI whom you have some pull with get them out to vote for Paul, party need not matter :)

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Nate Silver (over at 538) projects Paul in 2nd behind Romney by 8%
I won't go into all the methods he used and the implications (it's not a bad read tho :) )
I'll just say that outside of what our own RPF members in Hawaii have clued us in on it's one of the most encouraging things I've read.
Remember % of votes is essentially 'zero sum' so shifting 8% with the conditions in Hawaii on the ground is quite doable. (also note that the projection of Mr. Silvers that I 'am referencing was the least favorable to Paul out of the three he possibilities he presented)

As has been said it's all about ground game now, it's Get Out The Vote and getting people to the polls.
If you know anyone in HI whom you have some pull with get them out to vote for Paul, party need not matter :)

Well the Bar Owners of Hawaii endorsed Ron Paul, so that should get some play for him.

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 04:25 PM
Well the Bar Owners of Hawaii endorsed Ron Paul, so that should get some play for him.
Indeed :) endorsements like that are certainly nice, I must admit I have trouble knowing how much weight to give any of them in each instance. State to state cultural variances and all. (Which is part of why I'm so grateful for your take and that of others on the ground there :) )

For those who didn't see the write up, here's the endorsement (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?366734-Ron-Paul-Endorsed-by-Hawaii-Bar-Owners-Association)

GregVernon
03-13-2012, 04:35 PM
I spoke to the Hawaii GOP chairman, the polls will close at 8pm HST (+6 EST so 2am EST?) but from what I understand they are going to try to be very quick about it. Besides this is not a big state. Obama had his caucus last week and only 1.3k voted in a heavy Democrat state so I imagine there won't be too many Republican votes to have to sit through to know who won tomorrow.

According to facebook, there are only a few thousand or so Conservative Hawaiians available for ad targeting. Given most of the turnouts... maybe a handful of votes at best.

On the plus side, 2,000 of those Hawaiians saw my ads 11.2 times, so, maybe we'll get lucky.

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 04:40 PM
According to facebook, there are only a few thousand or so Conservative Hawaiians available for ad targeting. Given most of the turnouts... maybe a handful of votes at best.

On the plus side, 2,000 of those Hawaiians saw my ads 11.2 times, so, maybe we'll get lucky.

11.2k?

GregVernon
03-13-2012, 04:42 PM
11.2k?
11.2 times each, for roughly 30,600 impressions...

DannydeGracia2
03-13-2012, 04:47 PM
11.2 times each, for roughly 30,600 impressions...

Impressive!

ronpaulhawaii
03-13-2012, 04:56 PM
There are reps on the 4 largest Islands organizing rides. I've set up two drivers on Kaua'i...

GOTV!!!

Once pau voting, jump into the cars and go holoholo around the area, beachparks/whatevas, "Hey Braddah/Sistah! You like da kine Ron Paul? Shootz! Well voting is RIGHT NOW! Jump in, I'll get you back in two shakes"

alucard13mmfmj
03-13-2012, 05:05 PM
We need democrats and independents to cross over to beat the "religious-related/motivated" voters =S.

eleganz
03-13-2012, 05:23 PM
We are trying to gotv

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 05:25 PM
We are trying to gotv
"you must spread some reputation around before giving it to eleganz again"

ronpaulhawaii
03-13-2012, 05:26 PM
We are trying to gotv

coconut wireless - FTW!

CHOCOLATEsteven
03-13-2012, 05:41 PM
I have some friends going to UH Hilo that dorm and are from Oahu. Can they caucus in Hilo or do they have to do absentee voting?

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I have some friends going to UH Hilo that dorm and are from Oahu. Can they caucus in Hilo or do they have to do absentee voting?

I don't know that they can't caucus there anyhow, but if their drivers' license address is school they definitely can. They might be able to anyhow, you can register at the site with photo id that shows your address, but I don't know for sure if you can register somewhere other than where your address is.

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 06:26 PM

I'd say it's worth a shot if they can't make it back. When I was working the polls in Ohio they'd have been good to go but I can't say if that's true in Hawaii or not.
Can we get someone in the know there to answer this? :)

ronpaulhawaii
03-13-2012, 06:31 PM
I've been texting this around a bit

TONIGHT! Support Honesty - Vote RON PAUL in Pres. Primary. 6-8p - Questions? Call [del] or visit http://bit.ly/xq8tmt IMUA! MAHALO! (plz FWD)

If anyone knows anyone in the islands, feel free to use for GOTV

CHOCOLATEsteven
03-13-2012, 06:32 PM
I don't know that they can't caucus there anyhow, but if their drivers' license address is school they definitely can. They might be able to anyhow, you can register at the site with photo id that shows your address, but I don't know for sure if you can register somewhere other than where your address is.

Well, they got their licenses in Oahu. On the Hawaii GOP website, it lists voting precincts by district, so is there like a student exception? not asking you directly, just anyone that might see this.

tsai3904
03-13-2012, 06:34 PM

They can vote where they are at because when you go to school, you can claim your school residence as your registration address. They will have to bring photo ID and some other form (like a utility bill) that shows their address at UH Hilo.

Worse comes to worse, they will cast a provisional ballot. This is from the Rules:

Provisional ballots may be cast in the event of a dispute. Such ballots shall be set aside in a sealed envelope along with a filled out party card and a short explanation of the dispute.

Tell them to get to their location a little before 6pm so they can check to see if they can vote. If they need any documents, they will still have time to go back and pick up whatever they need to register.

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 08:25 PM
bump!

GregVernon
03-13-2012, 08:27 PM
Still, such a long way until the polls close. 3 and a half hours still!

PolicyReader
03-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Still, such a long way until the polls close. 3 and a half hours still!
T - three point five hours and counting
time to hunker in

Tinnuhana
03-13-2012, 09:13 PM
It's just past noon here and we're 19 hrs ahead of Hawai'i. So that makes it 5pm there? So, my understanding is that the polls are just 6-8pm. So everyone should get some supper in an RP sort of way (like Murphy's Tap Rm?) and then vote. GOTF/GOTV (get out the food/get out the vote).
On anohter note, why is everyone assuming Mormons are all going to vote for Mitt? We should be going over the the BYU campus and asking around for p eopole who need rides.

sailingaway
03-13-2012, 09:35 PM
It's just past noon here and we're 19 hrs ahead of Hawai'i. So that makes it 5pm there? So, my understanding is that the polls are just 6-8pm. So everyone should get some supper in an RP sort of way (like Murphy's Tap Rm?) and then vote. GOTF/GOTV (get out the food/get out the vote).
On anohter note, why is everyone assuming Mormons are all going to vote for Mitt? We should be going over the the BYU campus and asking around for p eopole who need rides.

I'm assuming it is BYU preference, and most those there are on scholarship, so OUR Mormans will likely come from elsewhere, imho.