PDA

View Full Version : Fairfax Co. VA GOP Convention March 24 2012

thoughtomator
03-12-2012, 09:58 PM
Thread for this convention... I think we are going to dominate it. Report is that we put in 2800 delegate forms, in the previous convention in 2010 there were 200 delegates.

Anyone have experience with the previous convention, and/or know who the liberty candidates are?

cjm
03-13-2012, 08:17 AM
Wow. That's fantastic. Good work NoVA!

thoughtomator
03-14-2012, 03:46 AM
Interesting map of how the county voted:

http://www.fairfaxgop.com/uploads/Image/FfxCoResults.jpg

looks like I was correct in seeing that there's a good deal of pro-Paul sentiment in my area (NW part of the county) - I didn't add up the district counts but it looks like we turned in a net +Paul vote

thoughtomator
03-15-2012, 09:49 PM
if you signed up as a delegate in Fairfax County call the Fairfax GOP headquarters to make sure your form was properly received and that the correct Congressional District was selected

http://www.fairfaxgop.com/contact-our-office/

There has been some confusion over confusing redistricting that took place two months ago - if you got your voter card in Oct like I did it may read the old district and you may have gotten redistricted out of it. I went from 8th->11th.

Make sure you're in the right district. And if anyone knows who the mystery guy who turned in 600 delegate forms is please let me know.

thoughtomator
03-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Here is the new 11th CD

http://www.va11gop.org/main/precincts.php

See map lower right

Aratus
03-16-2012, 09:35 AM
cooooooooooooooooooooooooooool

thoughtomator
03-22-2012, 11:32 AM
Just FYI - the convention is in 2 days - you want to vote for Matt Ames as FCRC chairman, the other guy (McConville) is a fascist tool and presided over the utter decline of the Fairfax GOP. McConville is supported by Barbara Comstock who is the only VA state senator to vote against NDAA nullification.

gerryb
03-22-2012, 12:27 PM
Not many of our folks filed to participate in the County Convention, and even fewer paid to have a vote.

The District Convention is what was concentrated on.

thoughtomator
03-24-2012, 12:03 PM
I just got back from the Fairfax County convention. It was a very interesting experience.

Keep your eye on a House candidate Ken Vaughn for the newly drawn 11th CD - he really impressed me today, and believe you me I did not show up to be impressed by anybody, but rather to impress my expectations upon them.

Also talked to an interesting possibility for Senate, E.W. Jackson, someone else to keep tabs on, though the jury is still out on him. Jamie Radtke is another Senate candidate, and although she has an excellent platform, she is a very weak and unconvincing public speaker and I can't shake the "trojan horse" feeling about her.

I also made contacts with the Fairfax County Taxpayers' Alliance, another local small-government group
http://fcta.org

While I didn't see any explicit liberty movement folks there, from the talking I did with people I heard the same story over and over, first-time participants who showed up because they are unsatisfied with the status quo.

The wrong guy got elected county party chairman, IMHO, but he was extremely gracious and immediately offered his opponent a new position of county party vice-chairman, which I think was a winning move.

RabbitMan
03-24-2012, 12:31 PM
So how did we do at the convention?

thoughtomator
03-24-2012, 02:07 PM
Well, every last person who signed up as a delegate got to go to the next level, since there weren't enough people to fill all the available state (or is it CD? need to double check) delegate slots. As to who was in which camp, there really weren't any divisions along those lines since the county convention doesn't select the national delegates. Other than that, all the VA Senate candidates spoke, as well as Congressional candidates in 8th, 10th, 11th CDs.

The only division was between McConville and Ames for Chairman; McConville won and started his victory speech by naming his opponent as vice chairman. There's not all that much policy in that position, it's more a matter of effective organization. I suppose the county party can only be stronger for the result, although I preferred Ames to be the head. Either way, I'll be looking to get involved further there and lend technical and possibly some financial assistance to the party.

I hardly mentioned Paul at all, but I did talk about the basic ideas about the role of government, and had some pretty interesting conversations with people. Outside of the main business of the convention itself, I really spent most of my time lecturing people. The good news is that a lot of people were listening, and very receptively. I have a stack of contacts of people in the party and a number of other people now have my number/email, so I'm sure there will be much in the way of follow up.