PDA

View Full Version : An Administration Gone Rogue, by Ron Paul

sailingaway
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
Have certain parts of the Constitution become irrelevant, as a former Republican leader once told me at a Foreign Affairs Committee hearing? At the time, I was told that demanding a Congressional declaration of war before invading Iraq, as Article I Section 8 of the Constitution requires, was unnecessary and anachronistic. Congress and the president then proceeded without a Constitutional declaration and the disastrous Iraq invasion was the result.

Last week, Obama administration officials made it clear that even the fig leaf of Congressional participation provided by the 2003 "authorization" to use force in Iraq was to be ignored as well. In a hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee, Defense Secretary Leon Panetta stated clearly and repeatedly that the administration felt it was legally justified to use military force against Syria solely with "international permission". Such "international permission" could come by way of the United Nations, NATO, or some other international body. Secretary Panetta then told Senator Sessions that depending on the situation, the administration would consider informing Congress of its decision and might even seek authorization after the fact.

While Senator Sessions expressed surprise at the casual audacity of Panetta in making this statement, in reality his was just a bluntly stated explanation of what has been, de facto, the case for many years. When President Obama committed the US military to a pre-emptive war against Libya last year, for example, Congress was kept completely out of the process. Likewise, military action in Iraq, Pakistan, Somalia, Yemen, and so on, proceed without a Congressional declaration. In fact, we haven't had a proper, constitutional declaration of war since 1942, yet the US military has been engaged in Korea, Lebanon, Iraq, Bosnia, Liberia, Haiti, and Libya with only UN resolutions as the authority. Congress's only role has been authorizing funds, which it always does without question, because one must "support the troops".

Of course we should reserve our harshest criticism for Congress rather than the Administration. If the people's branch of government abrogates its Constitutional authority to the Executive branch, who is to blame? Who is to blame that Congress as a body will not stand up and demand that the president treat the Constitution as more than an anachronistic piece of paper, or merely a set of aspirations and guidelines? The Constitution is the law of the land and for Congress to allow it to be flouted speaks as badly about Congress as it does about a president who seeks to do the flouting.

Just last week the administration announced that it would begin providing material support to the rebels who seek to overthrow the Syrian government. Was Congress involved in this decision to take sides in what may develop into a full-fledged civil war? And what of reports that US special forces may already be operating inside Syria? Still, Congress sits silently as its authority is undermined. Does anybody really wonder why approval numbers for Congress are so low?

Many of my colleagues who stood by as then-President Bush used the military as a kind of king's army are now calling for Congress to act against this president for openly admitting that is his intent. I agree it is time for Congressional action in response to these attacks on our Constitution, but the solution is simple and Constitutional. The solution is simply voting to withhold funds, since Congress has the power of the purse. No money for undeclared wars!

http://paul.house.gov/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1954&Itemid=69

jbauer
03-12-2012, 03:10 PM
Not "authorizing" funds for war is about as close to political suicide as you can get.

bluesc
03-12-2012, 03:15 PM
Not "authorizing" funds for war is about as close to political suicide as you can get.

So?

sailingaway
03-12-2012, 03:18 PM

Ron Paul has been refusing to authorize funds for war for some time. There is plenty of money in the pipeline to bring the troops home when they vote for the next bill -- billions, typically.

anewvoice
03-12-2012, 03:26 PM

Should not the authorization of illegal wars then constitute homicide?

kathy88
03-12-2012, 03:47 PM
Reading the headline of this gave me an idea, not sure how to formulate it. Obama and Congress have been squeeking/trying to squeek a lot of shit through while the Rebups are busy with the primaries. Each and every time, Ron has either a. gone to vote/speak about the issues or b. issued a press release explaining his disagreement and the unconstitutionality of the policies in question. Hear me out. The other candidates wait until they go on the MSM and are asked about it by the pundits. It's like they are scared to take a stance or it might hurt their chances or something.... How can we use this?

Matt Collins
03-12-2012, 03:58 PM
An Administration Gone Rogue
Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk

Read it here:
http://bit.ly/xfYYqK

Voluntary Man
03-12-2012, 04:17 PM

That "J" doesn't stand for "Jack," does it?

bluesc
03-12-2012, 04:20 PM
That "J" doesn't stand for "Jack," does it?

Jack Bauer wouldn't concern himself over "political suicide". He'd take the whole Congress with him.

Note to the NSA/GCHQ: That was not by any means me inciting violence against any government body. Stop watching me, you make me blush.

socal
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
Reading the headline of this gave me an idea, not sure how to fomulate it. Obama and Congress have been squeeking/trying to squeek a lot of shit through while the Rebups are busy with the primaries. Each and every time, Ron has either a. gone to vote/speak about the issues or b. issued a press release explaining his disagreement and the unconstitutionality of the policies in question. Hear me out. The other candidates wait until they go on the MSM and are asked about it by the pundits. It's like they are scared to take a stance or it might hurt their chances or something.... How can we use this?
Make a profesionally shot video of Dr Paul on each issue, and post it on the website, Facebook, and/or Twitter just like those 2 videos from that Dubai outfit suggested. That would much more effective than a press release, and the other candidates' silence would give all the attention to Dr Paul.

Feeding the Abscess
03-12-2012, 04:38 PM
Ron Paul has been refusing to authorize funds for war for some time. There is plenty of money in the pipeline to bring the troops home when they vote for the next bill -- billions, typically.

He was even voting against DoD budgets when Clinton was in office. The more you dig, the more you love lol

bunklocoempire
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
So I'm 'sposed to teach my kids how to drive making sure they're up to the task before I give 'em the car?

What a kooky idea.

/sarcasm

Thank you again Dr. Paul for speaking truth.:)

PierzStyx
03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
"The solution is simply voting to withhold funds, since Congress has the power of the purse. No money for undeclared wars!"

It really is just that simple. No money-no soldiers. Congress just needs to grow a set and do what its supposed to be doing. The real problem though is that most of the people in Congress agree with how things are ran. They're all liberals, Democrats and Republicans. They're just arguing about which liberal gets to be the Executive.

Warmon
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
Make a profesionally shot video of Dr Paul on each issue, and post it on the website, Facebook, and/or Twitter just like those 2 videos from that Dubai outfit suggested. That would much more effective than a press release, and the other candidates' silence would give all the attention to Dr Paul.

This issue hitting headline news right now is like a gift from above. The campaign needs this and Ron on camera everywhere speaking in the next few days. If not, it will be one of the biggest blunders yet! A press release is not enough. This is right up his alley and can show why his foreign policy is right and why Obama is wrong. If he can't get on the networks, announce a press conference - then lay on the truth bombs baby!

MelissaWV
03-12-2012, 05:11 PM
While Ron is voting, what are the other candidates doing?

I'm sure you could find a video of Romney eating a burger, Santorum dancing at some event, and Gingrich blabbing about a tree in his yard... which they were doing while Ron was doing his job.

dancjm
03-12-2012, 05:37 PM

I'm sure you could find a video of Romney eating a burger, Santorum dancing at some event, and Gingrich blabbing about a tree in his yard... which they were doing while Ron was doing his job.

I like this idea.

socal
03-12-2012, 05:43 PM

Make that Gingrich eating 2 bacon cheeseburgers with fries and a shake; Romney driving his Rolls at the country club; and Santorum casting out demons.

flightlesskiwi
03-12-2012, 05:49 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this tried with Libya, and the administration merely robbed Peter to pay Paul in order to partake in war...er kinetic military action there.

listening to Dempsey's short little part of that video, it would seem that they are already looking at moving money from A to B in order to "afford" a Syrian war... er kinetic military action.

i fully understand what Dr. Paul is saying, and i agree, but that tactic seems almost too little too late.

"The solution is simply voting to withhold funds, since Congress has the power of the purse. No money for undeclared wars!"

It really is just that simple. No money-no soldiers. Congress just needs to grow a set and do what its supposed to be doing. The real problem though is that most of the people in Congress agree with how things are ran. They're all liberals, Democrats and Republicans. They're just arguing about which liberal gets to be the Executive.

awake
03-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Withhold the military's, money? You have the makings of an American military coup. The standing armies will not stand for this.

gunnysmith
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
How about this for foreign policy, war etc.

"The measure of success is not whether you have a tough problem to deal with, but whether it is the same problem you had last year." - John Foster Dulles, Former Secretary of State

WD-NY
03-12-2012, 05:56 PM
An Administration Gone Rogue
Ron Paul's Texas Straight Talk

Read it here:
http://bit.ly/xfYYqK

lol, you think posting a link (or press release) to Dr. Paul's Congressional website helps spread this out far and wide? Is that the campaign's idea of effective "marketing".

Here's a crazy thought, realize it's 2012 and start packaging "news" in ways that Dr. Paul's online army can consume quickly and/or spread socially. Example: Have Dr. Paul read this short little "speech" himself then have the video team cut it up with clips of the things he references (to add 'primary source proof' and thus substance to his words).

sailingaway
03-12-2012, 05:58 PM
correct me if i'm wrong, but wasn't this tried with Libya, and the administration merely robbed Peter to pay Paul in order to partake in war...er kinetic military action there.

listening to Dempsey's short little part of that video, it would seem that they are already looking at moving money from A to B in order to "afford" a Syrian war... er kinetic military action.
Y
i fully understand what Dr. Paul is saying, and i agree, but that tactic seems almost too little too late.

You have to specify no funds and earmark every penny given to something else

WD-NY
03-12-2012, 06:09 PM
This issue hitting headline news right now is like a gift from above. The campaign needs this and Ron on camera everywhere speaking in the next few days. If not, it will be one of the biggest blunders yet! A press release is not enough. This is right up his alley and can show why his foreign policy is right and why Obama is wrong. If he can't get on the networks, announce a press conference - then lay on the truth bombs baby!

The campaign appears to be INCAPABLE of making hay out of ANY issue that plays into Ron's wheelhouse. I'm watching Fox and Brett Bier's panel is discussing how more and more Republicans are coming out against Afganistan... and Ron's name was mentioned ZERO times. Gingrich's name, on the other hand, was the focus of the conversation.

Why? Because Ron has yet to deliver a meaty, focused and coherent (from beginning to end) speech on the issue. Then again, even if he delivered a big speech on Afganistan now, it probably wouldn't matter since all 3 cable news channels no longer have reporters covering his campaign.

But I digress... the main point is that the campaign/Ron has become so utterly daft at muscling their way (and/or "winning") the news cycle that not even the collapse of the Euro could save us since Ron would probably just do a couple interviews on CNBC with Kudlow and say the same things he's been saying for months plus maybe an unconvincing "I told ya so"...

Voluntary Man
03-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Ron is the only one currently serving in public office.

And, he's STILL the outsider!

sailingaway
03-12-2012, 06:15 PM
The campaign appears to be INCAPABLE of making hay out of ANY issue that plays into Ron's wheelhouse. I'm watching Fox and Brett Bier's panel is discussing how more and more Republicans are coming out against Afganistan... and Ron's name was mentioned ZERO times. Gingrich's name, on the other hand, was the focus of the conversation.

Why? Because Ron has yet to deliver a meaty, focused and coherent (from beginning to end) speech on the issue. Then again, even if he delivered a big speech on Afganistan now, it probably wouldn't matter since all 3 cable news channels no longer have reporters covering his campaign.

But I digress... the main point is that the campaign/Ron has become so utterly daft at muscling their way (and/or "winning") the news cycle that not even the collapse of the Euro could save us since Ron would probably just do a couple interviews on CNBC with Kudlow and say the same things he's been saying for months plus maybe an unconvincing "I told ya so"...

Everyone knows this is his issue and if they are ignoring this piece they would ignore whatever he did

rpwi
03-12-2012, 06:22 PM
Nice to see Paul bring up the issue of the Obama administration covertly supporting the rebels in Syria. This is not a grass-roots rebellion but rather an astro-turf rebellion...and most Americans have no idea what's really going on in Syria.

kathy88
03-12-2012, 06:34 PM

Loving this. Call a press conference Ron. Talk about this. Show them you are right.