PDA

View Full Version : Question about our future involvement in the GOP

cavalier973
03-12-2012, 02:45 PM
It doesn't look as if Dr. Paul will win the nomination. It's a lost battle, but the war rages on. I've been reading that Dr. Paul has been infiltrating the GOP during this campaign cycle; replacing state and local party officials with his own supporters, with an eye to fundamentally changing the GOP into the party it was during the 20's through the 50's (or whenever; the return of the "Old Right" that Murray Rothbard describes).

So, does this narrative (of Paul taking over the GOP) comport with what's really going on? It's important to me to know, because for the first time I'm starting to seriously look at the Libertarian Party, which I have avoided because I find antepartum infanticide an abhorrent violation of the "non-aggression" principle. Maybe it would be easier to persuade the LP to change its platform that endorses baby murder than it would to change the GOP's unstated platform endorsing the murder of foreigners regardless of age.

Does anyone have any evidence that Ron Paul supporters are taking over the GOP?

steph3n
03-12-2012, 02:47 PM
Personally, I am done with any party in politics.

jdcole
03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
Nothing is lost until the end of the convention.

Winning back the party from the neocons and RINOs is important.

bluesc
03-12-2012, 02:48 PM
New chairman of the Iowa GOP is a Paul supporter. We also pretty much have control of the state central committee there. Chairman of the Nevada GOP is a Paul supporter. We also have a good chunk of the state executive committee there. I think it was the Clark County GOP in NV that we just took 2/3's of as well.

Yep. We are gaining control of state parties. Can't gain much control of the national party until the national convention in Tampa.

tsai3904
03-12-2012, 02:51 PM
http://www.lvrj.com/news/heller-unites-clark-county-gop-convention-with-shots-at-berkley-obama-142194615.html

There are 21 Executive Board positions within the Clark County Republican Party. 14 of those positions were up for election on March 10. Our supporters won ALL 14 positions. We now hold a majority of the voting power within the Clark County Republican Party. This is happening/will happen across the country (probably not to this level of success but you get the point).

You can also see here how many elected Republican officials have endorsed Ron Paul:
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?317094-Ron-Paul-Endorsements-from-Elected-Officials

aclove
03-12-2012, 02:56 PM
Until the ballot access restrictions which give the Republicans and Democrats protection from ballot competition are done away with, getting involved in the Libertarian Party will represent a massive investment of effort and money for very little return. Currently, voting for a Libertarian candidate is essentially a protest vote, although it can have the positive effect of drawing enough votes away from a bad Republican to make him/her lose, thus punishing the GOP for nominating statist candidates.

Those ballot access restrictions will NEVER go away unless people of good conscience take over one (or both) of the major parties and elect legislators who will do away with them.

That should be a simple enough reason for anyone to stay involved in the GOP, where we've made headway and continue to make gains.

jbauer
03-12-2012, 03:01 PM
The better question is how do you translate the "power" being obtained within the GOP and re-direct it in a positive way for 2014 & 2016? Especially assuming Dr. Paul doesn't run for president again?

Whomever fills Ron's shoes will need very very big feet. If the "grassroots" is to surive the canidate will have to follow in Ron Pauls vison. One that is unheard of, and one that is probably unrealistic to expect from another politician......hence the cult like following.

An even better question is, does someone have a time machine, we need to shave 10-20 years off of Ron Paul?

03-12-2012, 03:03 PM
GET INVOLVED. STAY INVOLVED. WORK FOR LIBERTY. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?363053-New-Republicans-How-to-Be-Effective-in-Your-Local-GOP&p=4213944#post4213944)

bluesc
03-12-2012, 03:04 PM
The better question is how do you translate the "power" being obtained within the GOP and re-direct it in a positive way for 2014

Last I heard, state GOP leaders direct resources for state legislature races. Back the right candidates. We have Iowa covered already.

We also have candidates running for higher office in almost every state. Getting them elected creates a future platform for other candidates in their state (look at Kentucky right now. Establishment central, yet so many of our candidates running good campaigns and are looking likely to win).

Deborah K
03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
I'm not ready to give up on this nomination process. We could end up with a brokered convention. Plus, there are approximately 521 delegates up for grabs at the convention.

03-12-2012, 04:16 PM
I'm thinking of switching to LP after this election. I've always been GOP. If the GOP runs Ron or Rand as VP or puts them in the administration I might stay. Do what you think is best.

Uriah
03-12-2012, 04:27 PM
Last I heard, state GOP leaders direct resources for state legislature races. Back the right candidates. We have Iowa covered already.

Thanks, but not so fast. There is still much work to do in Iowa. The state central committee is not completely with us. Yes, we got the chair but that says more about Mr. Spiker than us controlling the state central committee. County leadership needs to be addressed too. No time to rest.

bluesc
03-12-2012, 04:29 PM
Thanks, but not so fast. There is still much work to do in Iowa. The state central committee is not completely with us. Yes, we got the chair but that says more about Mr. Spiker than us controlling the state central committee. County leadership needs to be addressed too. No time to rest.

Let the forums and the campaign know what you need and you shall receive :D.

TheGrinch
03-12-2012, 04:32 PM
Unfortunately things are probably going to have to get much worse for a third party to gain traction. As it stands, we have little choice but to work within the the two partyy dominant system. Idealistically I know many here don't want anything to do with the corrupt GOP (myself included), but espeically when they're successfully co-opting things like the Tea Party and destroying them, then well, payback's a bitch...

NoOneButPaul
03-12-2012, 04:35 PM
We cannot lose sight of the main goal... taking back the GOP.

Why waste away your support in the Libertarian Party? The system is fixed against 3rd parties so bad it makes 0 difference.

We need to take back the GOP, from there, everything will be much much easier...

thoughtomator
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
From all reports, Paul forces are going to take over at least part of the party apparatus here in Virginia. Something like 2800 delegate forms were turned in in Fairfax County alone.

rideurlightning
03-12-2012, 04:39 PM
I was actually going to make a thread about this as well. I figure it's best to work within the two-party system and change the rules, like Ron has been so adamant about. Third party runs are a good way of pissing people off and getting revenge, but they really bring no progress in today's system. So we change the system.

da32130
03-12-2012, 04:43 PM
From all reports, Paul forces are going to take over at least part of the party apparatus here in Virginia. Something like 2800 delegate forms were turned in in Fairfax County alone.

Any idea how we did last time?

NoOneButPaul
03-12-2012, 04:44 PM
The other thing is... once we take back the GOP and have a significant amount of power we can do all sorts of things that wouldn't be possible as a protest party...

Like allowing 3rd parties to flourish, or banning parties all together.

It all starts and ends with taking back the GOP, everything Ron Paul has done he's done so we'll be the future voting block of the party.

Feeding the Abscess
03-12-2012, 04:49 PM
We cannot lose sight of the main goal... taking back the GOP.

Why waste away your support in the Libertarian Party? The system is fixed against 3rd parties so bad it makes 0 difference.

We need to take back the GOP, from there, everything will be much much easier...

Na, main goal isn't taking back the GOP. Main goal is being free. Taking over the GOP is but one potential pathway to getting there.

It's one I think won't work, and may even be detrimental to the cause, but hey. It'll wake people up at the same time.

gerryb
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
We have the #'s (people who have donated $$ alone, let alone just activists) to completely take over the party.

I know this for a fact.

All that is necessary is for 10% of them to become involved as committee members, run for chair, run for state central committee.

Join the Young Republicans and College Republicans - they get voting rights on central committees etc.

Join the Women Republicans, they get voting rights as well.

Change the party. Make every party nomination process a caucus or convention. WIN.

tony m
03-12-2012, 04:50 PM
Attend your towns party meetings, petition to become a committee-person, all county meetings, volunteer at their events, smooze with everyone, get to know the administrative assistants for everyone, get into any position you can, professionally articluate the honest direction the party should steer towards, and most important - have fun while doing it.

The revolution is in re-directing the republican party. we already have our foot in the door and am slowly opening it. Over the next few years the time is ripe to have people flood through the open door that we are holding open.

gerryb
03-12-2012, 04:53 PM

Bad news -- we aren't going to take the party back this time around -- as it cost money in 2 districts that Fairfax covers to be a voting member(for races other then National Delegate and Elector).

In 2014 we will convince our membership who will be familiar with the convention to pay the fee's and run for committee, chair, state central, etc. and to recruit the RP people who were reluctant to file this time around to do the same -- We have the #'s to take over this time, but convincing people to pay the fee was not worthwhile. In the 10th district where there were no fee's we will see what happens...

Deborah K
03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
If you can't beat em......infiltrate!

bluesc
03-12-2012, 05:05 PM
I feel bad for you guys. I have already preemptively infiltrated the "right" party here. What did it cost and require? A simple membership card and relative youth. If the GOP were screaming for the young the same way the Conservative party in the UK is, Ron would be riding that sweet elephant to the White House by now.

Eric39
03-12-2012, 05:07 PM
It doesn't look as if Dr. Paul will win the nomination. It's a lost battle, but the war rages on. I've been reading that Dr. Paul has been infiltrating the GOP during this campaign cycle; replacing state and local party officials with his own supporters, with an eye to fundamentally changing the GOP into the party it was during the 20's through the 50's (or whenever; the return of the "Old Right" that Murray Rothbard describes).

So, does this narrative (of Paul taking over the GOP) comport with what's really going on? It's important to me to know, because for the first time I'm starting to seriously look at the Libertarian Party, which I have avoided because I find antepartum infanticide an abhorrent violation of the "non-aggression" principle. Maybe it would be easier to persuade the LP to change its platform that endorses baby murder than it would to change the GOP's unstated platform endorsing the murder of foreigners regardless of age.

You see, I'm for being a realist, and I know the chances of winning are very slim, but dammit, watch your rhetoric. No one on this site should be saying anything is "lost" until it is. That's a very troll like thing to do. Again, you don't have to go around cheering everytime we lose a caucus or primary, but never admit defeat before Ron Paul himself does, that's kind of selfish.

PolicyReader
03-12-2012, 05:10 PM

Premature thread is premature. Less that 50% of all delegates (to Tampa) have been assigned even Willard has less than 25% of what's needed for a nomination and roughly half of the slate hasn't even voted yet.

GET INVOLVED. STAY INVOLVED. WORK FOR LIBERTY. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?363053-New-Republicans-How-to-Be-Effective-in-Your-Local-GOP&p=4213944#post4213944)
^Accurate statement is accurate (regardless of that status or outcome of the presidential race)

Johncjackson
03-12-2012, 05:13 PM
I thought the LP had no stance on abortion, which would be correct IMO. I know there were some platform changes and "reform" movements the last 8-10 years- so I don't know if they in fact got a plank in there endorsing infanticide, but I doubt it.

As far as infiltrating the GOP, I think there is to some degree, but I wouldn't characterize it as the "Old Right" so much. I think that's a dead idea politically, and whatever comes of this will be something "new" though Classical. Granted, that could just be semantics.

Frankly, I am not sure the GOP is worth "saving" and certainly doesn't deserve it. Both the GOP and LP have pretty weak brands and a lot of baggage. I wish they could be replaced with a true liberal party/movement and let the Dems occupy the center-right they have sought out.

cavalier973
03-12-2012, 05:54 PM
You see, I'm for being a realist, and I know the chances of winning are very slim, but dammit, watch your rhetoric. No one on this site should be saying anything is "lost" until it is. That's a very troll like thing to do. Again, you don't have to go around cheering everytime we lose a caucus or primary, but never admit defeat before Ron Paul himself does, that's kind of selfish.

Heh. I think Ron Paul won several of the contests already, but that the state party leadership reworked the numbers. I believe that vote fraud has been going on. When Erik Erikson spent months saying "Ron Paul will not be the nominee", when he discussed the prospects of M. Bachmann and Herman Cain, I think what he was saying was that the GOP Party leadership would not allow it to happen.

My "rhetoric" is the same as Paul's: that the Presidential election is but a battle in the War to Defend Liberty. If he wins the battle, then things will be much, much easier. I'm not trying to be a "realist", I'm just looking beyond the current contest.

bt53
03-12-2012, 06:16 PM
Until the ballot access restrictions which give the Republicans and Democrats protection from ballot competition are done away with, getting involved in the Libertarian Party will represent a massive investment of effort and money for very little return. Currently, voting for a Libertarian candidate is essentially a protest vote, although it can have the positive effect of drawing enough votes away from a bad Republican to make him/her lose, thus punishing the GOP for nominating statist candidates.

Those ballot access restrictions will NEVER go away unless people of good conscience take over one (or both) of the major parties and elect legislators who will do away with them.

That should be a simple enough reason for anyone to stay involved in the GOP, where we've made headway and continue to make gains.

To succeed in healing this broken political system of ours we must have the soul of an idealist but the mind of a pragmatist. What is clear from the takeovers ron paul supporters have performed at conventions is that the Republican party is organizationally weak right now and stricken with apathy. They've become so accustomed to cynically manipulating the popular vote that they've neglected to consider the actual delegate process as a viable means of nominating a candidate.

And even If Ron doesn't win the nomination, the big picture/long term looks very good for us. We have, by far, the most politically educated and active base of supporters. Young people are increasingly supportive of libertarian ideas, much more so than their parents. We have the support of the military. We have, from the perspective of the uninitiated, a completely fresh outlook on political issues at a time when people are becoming tired of red v blue partisan politics. Both major parties have been stagnant for some time now as evidenced by the fact that they keep rehashing the same culture wars battles that have been going on for almost 50 years.

Libertarianism can become a dominant political force but it has to avoid being relegated to 'third party' status and obscurity. Unfortunately the only way to keep it from being smothered is to use the GOP as a platform. But hey, if the wallace/southern democrats were able to do it back in the 60s and 70s than so can we.

thoughtomator
03-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Any idea how we did last time?

No idea, but the Fairfax Co. (VA) GOP was reportedly shocked by the sheer volume of delegate forms turned in by Paul forces.

I didn't see any Paul sentiment in these parts four years ago, but I wasn't involved with the GOP at the time.