PDA

View Full Version : How many of you have met Dr. Paul or seen him speak? My first time Wednesday!!!

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 03:45 AM
I heard Dr. Paul is coming to the U of I Champaign this Wednesday. This will probably be one of my only opportunities to hear him speak in person since it's so close to where I live. I cannot articulate how freaking excited I am right now!!! It's not because he could be president. It's not because he's been on TV. This man is my hero!

So, have you met Dr. Paul or seen him speak in person? I'm a bit shy to ask him for a picture or a signature even if he's staying around to do that stuff...:o

Go ahead, give me hell...I know I'm a Paulbot. :D How could I not be, after he cured my apathy?

Hoping for a crowd like this or larger. Come on, Illinois!
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-aCdU7KUruWI/Ty2VeSjYiUI/AAAAAAAABbc/ckC_qdmfiIY/s1600/rochester.jpg

BuddyRey
03-12-2012, 04:16 AM
I saw him speak in Spartanburg and then Greenville in one day in July 2007. I also saw him speak at the Liberty Taproom after the Myrtle Beach debate in '08.

I have not yet had the honor of meeting him. When I had the opportunity, I got too star-struck. :o But I did meet Carol!

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 04:57 AM
Aww, Carol seems like such a sweet lady!
I definitely am feeling star-struck at the thought of even getting to be in the same room.

Meeting him?!
http://canitbesaturdaynow.com/images/fpics/1137/kitty_-%288%29__large.jpg

wgadget
03-12-2012, 05:09 AM
I met him (shook his hand, got his signature, told him hes my hero) three times. He's exactly the way he looks on tv, very genuine and unassuming. I'll never forget seeing him on the streets of Nashville after a rally, looking out the window of his van smiling at me and my son as we were heading back to our car. He was on the passenger side and I was giddy with a rally high--my son says, "There he is..." Ha! That was one of the best days of my life as I had just gotten his signature on my Iowa Register ad. Gotta love those Ron Paul-themed day trips!

opinionatedfool
03-12-2012, 05:38 AM
I saw him at U of M in 07. I was at the very front of the crowd (I'm actually quite visible in a photo on the ronpaul2012.com MI site). After his speech I went up and got him to sign my cell phone. It was kind of funny, he was like "you really want me to sign this? Its the first time I've done that."

I also saw him this year at the MSU rally (4000 in attendence). I pretty much sat at the back because it took me awhile to find a parking spot. When I was walking back to my car I stopped at a cross walk and there his SUV pulls up right next to me at a red. I waved and he waved back. Kinda cool.

Gage
03-12-2012, 05:57 AM
I have had the pleasure of seeing him speak probably close to 50 times now. If you want to get something signed, be sure to race to where he exits the stage, or greets supporters, and just sort of shove whatever it is at him. :p He usually signs anything you put in front of him. Don't expect a photo though unless you can do it quickly.

wgadget
03-12-2012, 06:13 AM
I saw him at U of M in 07. I was at the very front of the crowd (I'm actually quite visible in a photo on the ronpaul2012.com MI site). After his speech I went up and got him to sign my cell phone. It was kind of funny, he was like "you really want me to sign this? Its the first time I've done that."

I also saw him this year at the MSU rally (4000 in attendence). I pretty much sat at the back because it took me awhile to find a parking spot. When I was walking back to my car I stopped at a cross walk and there his SUV pulls up right next to me at a red. I waved and he waved back. Kinda cool.

HAHA! Your experience was remarkably close to mine. I wonder if Ron makes off in his getaway car after each rally so he can wave and smile at his supporters on the streets? :)

djruden
03-12-2012, 06:16 AM
I have been lucky to see him both in 2007 and again multiple times in 2011. My favorite moment would be at the Drake debate in Des Moines when I got him to sign my debate ticket during a commercial break. I was able to approach him to take pics both in 2007 and 2011 as well. He doesn't do it every time he speaks but a lot of times he will stay for pictures with people afterwards. He's a great guy so don't be shy!

wgadget
03-12-2012, 06:25 AM
And by the way, penthief...I am SO jealous! I haven't seen him yet this go around. He really needs to come to the sunny South! :)

Bruno
03-12-2012, 06:28 AM
Congrats on finally seeing him in person this week! Good advice above from Gage, and fun to hear everyone else's stories.
He has been in Des Moines a lot so I have been lucky enough to see him and get my picture taken with him a number of times.

The first time I had a chance to see him speak, we got caught in traffic, the place was packed when we finally got there, and we ended up in an overflow room watching him on a screen. He spoke again the next morning, so I got up extra early and made it there 90 minutes ahead of time to an empty room where I got a front row seat, Lol. At that speech and the Veteran's rally, he made eye contact with me many times while he was speaking, which was pretty cool.

In Ames during the Straw Poll, I spoke with Carol for a few minutes, she is a very nice lady. She was telling me the story of how Ron got involved in politics because he saw the value of the dollar declining through the removal of the gold standard and was concerned for his parents's savings and the future of this children. I met Rand, his wife, and some of the grandchildren that day, and that evening I spoke for awhile with Rand about Ron's 2nd place finish and one of this sons who was heading off to college soon.

The whole family is as genuine as you can find, and will make a great First Family!

sirgonzo420
03-12-2012, 06:46 AM
He usually signs anything you put in front of him..

Except he won't do that in the Oval Office when he's president.

:)

Bruno
03-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Except he won't do that in the Oval Office when he's president.

:)

+ rep! :D

freedomforever!
03-12-2012, 06:51 AM
I saw him in Hudsonville, and it was amazing! He spoke off the cuff - no notes and certainly no teleprompter! :-) Unfortunately, we didn't get to meet him, but apparently after we left, he came out of the building and greeted supporters.

We drove two and a half hours to go see him, but it was worth every penny and minute.

Danke
03-12-2012, 06:58 AM
Got him to tag my truck. :cool:

SilentBull
03-12-2012, 07:16 AM
Met him when I went to the convention in '08, and took a picture with him. He had an open bar welcoming event for us. I also met Barry Goldwater Jr. and his wife. Took a picture with him also.

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 07:26 AM
*Sheds a tear at all the Ron Paul love in this thread*
Getting to hear him speak in person certainly will be one of the best memories of my life :)

BTW, this is for Gage, who I believe might have set a record? :p
http://images-5.findicons.com/files/icons/236/merry_christmas/128/golden_star.png

ssjevot
03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
I've seen him speak 4 times. Once in Minnesota at Bethel University, twice is Seattle, and then once at the Washington headquarters in Bellevue (taking questions from the volunteers).

DonovanJames
03-12-2012, 07:32 AM
Got this Saturday night from the Hillcrest Rally.. He did pics with a few of us Grassroots coordinators who got all the logistics hammered down for the event. Sadly two gentlemen who had a very large involvement did not get a chance to get one ={

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 07:35 AM
He had an open bar welcoming event for us.

http://images.icanhascheezburger.com/completestore/2009/5/13/128867509084775868.jpg

(Sorry, I abuse lolcats)

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 07:36 AM
Got him to tag my truck. :cool:

I'd never wash my truck again, lol

vechorik
03-12-2012, 07:49 AM
Ron Paul isn't campaigning in my state, so the first time I'll see him live is in TAMPA THIS YEAR! (not for sure, but I'm working hard for that dream)

cachemaster
03-12-2012, 08:14 AM
I too get to see him speak this Wednesday! I'm so freaking excited!!!!! Driving down from the Chicago area

Birdlady
03-12-2012, 08:26 AM
My husband and I got to hear him speak sometime in late 2007 when he had a family reunion in the Pittsburgh area. A lot of his family was there too which was pretty cool. We got to meet him and even got a picture. Too bad the pic didn't turn out so well. :(

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 08:32 AM
My husband and I got to hear him speak sometime in late 2007 when he had a family reunion in the Pittsburgh area. A lot of his family was there too which was pretty cool. We got to meet him and even got a picture. Too bad the pic didn't turn out so well. :(

Ugh, I know! Lens flare, camera strap, thumb blocking the shot, camera shake...it will ALL happen at the most convenient time :rolleyes:

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 08:34 AM
I too get to see him speak this Wednesday! I'm so freaking excited!!!!! Driving down from the Chicago area

Yay!!! Have a safe trip ^_^

Athan
03-12-2012, 08:46 AM
This hand here has shaken the hand of Paul.
He's very relaxed and cool with people. I told him "No matter what, you'll always be my President."
Still true to this day.

Cap
03-12-2012, 11:28 AM
I have met Dr. Paul, I have broke bread with Dr. Paul and I have had a lengthy conversation with him as well.

cachemaster
03-12-2012, 02:29 PM
Ugh... Soo many trolls on the event page. This one is particularly annoying. Anyone have something that will shut him up?

Ron Paul at UIUC: where hundreds of students attending a government-supported school paid for through government-backed loans and grants and staffed by professors and researchers supported by the NSF and other federal agencies cheer about how they want the government out of their lives.

abruzz0
03-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Met, spoke with, got a picture and autograph at an event in Las Vegas on 7/7/07. I could hardly breathe or move, haha. He's a living legend.

Oh yeah, was also wearing my "Who is this man and why is he trying to save my country?" shirt

03-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Have had the good fortune to have seen him speak on probably about 10 separate occasions over the past five years of his presidential candidacy (and some before that, but that's another story), and have been able to speak with him a few times in different places. My favorite thing, though, are my Ron Paul signed Cato pocket constitutions. ;)

pen_thief
03-12-2012, 04:56 PM
Ugh... Soo many trolls on the event page. This one is particularly annoying. Anyone have something that will shut him up?

That guy is a victim of his own ignorance. He will want to kick his own ass one day when he gets fired/defaults on his student loans/lives in a van down by the river :rolleyes:

devil21
03-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Have fun! It's going to be a little intimidating at first with all the people that will also show up around you.

As to your question, Ive shaken his hand twice, seen him in two debates in person, seen him speak three times total and even chatted with Carol after one of the speeches. Great people!

Kenso
03-12-2012, 05:25 PM
Congrats on getting the opportunity to hear him speak in person, you'll have a great time I'm sure. I've seen him speak in person 3 times and met him once in late '07, it was great. Now that the crowds have gotten really large it's not as practical for him to personally meet every single person there any more, but it's still really cool to see him speak live. Have fun!

Suzu
03-13-2012, 12:17 AM
I saw him speak in Branson in May of '08 and got a photo taken with him after. I was so impressed by what a gentle man he is. I was already won over ideologically before that but once I met him in person I was totally won over to him as a person, as a leader.

I attended the SRLC for one day in 2010 and heard him speak. Missed the after-party which (I am told) was a lot smaller than the one last year.

At the 2011 SRLC I heard him speak, then went back to the registration desk where I had picked up my credentials. There were only a few people in the room. Right behind me, in walked Dr. Paul. What a lovely surprise! I took some photos of him with another supporter, and then that guy took a photo of me with Dr. Paul. Then we all went across the street to the reception/party where I spent quite a while sitting and talking with Carol. She makes everyone feel at home, like she's your mom.

Later I took more photos. Dr. Paul had been standing in the afternoon sun wearing a long-sleeved shirt with a tie for hours greeting people, shaking hands, signing books and other stuff, and being photographed non-stop, and he never leaked a drop of perspiration even though it was very hot and humid. I am almost young enough to be his daughter, and I had to be in the shade while wearing much lighter clothing with no sleeves.

This past Saturday night I got to hear him speak for about 45 minutes in Springfield but didn't get a chance to be near him at all. If he goes to the Missouri State Convention I'll go along as a guest for another chance to see him speak and potentially meet him again. (I probably won't be a delegate this time; our county has some supporters who've not had the chance to be delegates yet, so I put myself on the list only in case someone changes their mind needs to be replaced.)

Anti Federalist
03-13-2012, 12:25 AM
Met the man three times.

The best time was at the Strafford Co. NH GOP straw poll event in 2007.

Walked and talked for at least ten minutes.

pen_thief
03-14-2012, 12:12 PM
Some lucky people in this thread here :)

NoOneButPaul
03-14-2012, 12:17 PM
I'll be at the same event, i'm driving out from Chicago in about an hour... hope to get as close to the front as possible.

devil21
03-16-2012, 01:50 AM
So how was it? All this build up...then.........nothing.

cachemaster
03-16-2012, 02:04 AM
There were other, more recent event threads that we posted in. But the event was amazing!!! About 5,000 people in attendance and the atmosphere was electric! The Paul campaign was very organized. They had computers and sheets for people to put their contact info on, they passed out sample Illinois primary ballots and told everyone where they could vote. About 100 waited outside after the event near Dr.Paul's suburban just so we could see him one last time! Can't wait to see him again!!!!