PDA

View Full Version : The USA Today ad ~ llepard paid for ~ on a web page ~ for better viewing

Mark
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM

I hope llepard doesn't mind. I saw the pics of the ad in the thread,
and I was curious about how it would look without having to scroll back and forth,
so I reduced the size of the pics a bit, and wrote a simple web page to display it.

I think it should work for everyone, who has a 17 inch screen,
without scrolling back and forth.

http://www.revmark.org/forumfiles/ad.htm

If anyone wants to see it in the same manner on a 15 inch screen,
let me know, and I'll try to guess the proper dimensions.

VRP08
11-13-2007, 07:44 PM
Thanks!

Bruehound
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
still a repeated line on "warned of the dangers of political parties"

Pete Kay
11-13-2007, 07:53 PM
I am so opposed to this ad. Ron Paul is the most humble man in politics. He would never support an ad that makes the absurd claim that the Founding Fathers endorse him. If you have any reverance for the Founders, then this ad is extremely offensive. Imagine if Rudy made the same ad.

Think about this.

"I'm George Washington and I support Ron Paul."

Who would take that seriously? That's what the ad says. Please be objective and put your Ron Paul love aside. This ad hurts Ron Paul. If I didn't know who Ron Paul was, I would think that he was an ass if I saw this ad in the paper. I wouldn't even read it.

thatnerdyguy
11-13-2007, 07:54 PM

Yeah, still see the repeated line about the political parties. Please get this removed before publishing, otherwise it will look amateurish.

Ron Paul Fan
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
The ad does not hurt Ron Paul and to say that it does is just ridiculous. It's a masterpiece. Frankly, I can't believe anyone would trash it. It's not offensive. It's a beautiful piece of art and should be run as is with possibly a few minor changes. The bigger trajedy would be if it didn't run. Saying it would ruin Ron Paul is the same argument a few used to try and derail November 5th. Thank goodness these people weren't calling the shots.

nathanmn
11-13-2007, 07:58 PM
Bravo! Excellent work!

LizF
11-13-2007, 07:59 PM

Good catch!

Very nice, otherwise.

Furis
11-13-2007, 07:59 PM
"warned to keep your nation sovereign and independent" should be changed to (this is paraphrased)

Warned to stay away from entangling alliances (the Jefferson Quote)

I like the part about sovereignty but the alliance thing sticks out more, to me anyway.

Vvick727
11-13-2007, 08:00 PM
i still don't think we should have the word "revolution" in there.

might scare off some people

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:01 PM
I am so opposed to this ad

Who's buying the next ad?
Maybe, if you don't like it the way it is,
create an ad you do like,
and pay for it. Yourself.

krott5333
11-13-2007, 08:02 PM
people.. that line is not doubled! Cmon!! The original picture was broken into two, and it overlapped. The image that will be used for the paper will not have the repeated line.

friggin relax!

tsetsefly
11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
you have your name and email there! its not staying on is it? if it is get ready to be spammed..

Joey Wahoo
11-13-2007, 08:03 PM
I am so opposed to this ad. Ron Paul is the most humble man in politics. He would never support an ad that makes the absurd claim that the Founding Fathers endorse him. If you have any reverance for the Founders, then this ad is extremely offensive. Imagine if Rudy made the same ad.

Think about this.

Who would take that seriously? That's what the ad says. Please be objective and put your Ron Paul love aside. This ad hurts Ron Paul. If I didn't know who Ron Paul was, I would think that he was an ass if I saw this ad in the paper. I wouldn't even read it.

Strongly disagree with you on this. Dr. Paul refers to the founders more than all the other candidates combined and explicitly supports his positions by reference to the beliefs of the founders. No one will think Thomas Jefferson is LITERALLY endorsing Ron Paul--but the message that they WOULD will be effective.

I think its very effective.

MsDoodahs
11-13-2007, 08:04 PM
you have your name and email there! its not staying on is it? if it is get ready to be spammed..

That's required by the FEC.

tsetsefly
11-13-2007, 08:05 PM

Think about this.

agree, the first part of the ad comes of a bit condescending, and I think its a really bad idea to say "we the founders" support ROn Paul, at least say " the founders would support Ron Paul" or something like that...

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 08:05 PM

Think about this.

The ad does not say the Founding Fathers endorse Ron Paul. The ad says the Founding Fathers WARNED you of etc... etc...etc... I fail to understand how this ad is in any way irreverant towards the Founding Fathers, rather, it shows respect towards the Founding Fathers in a dignified fashion.

Furis
11-13-2007, 08:06 PM

This is a revolution though.

If you look at the Declaration of Independence they were against the same things we are.

Indy Vidual
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM
My first impression was very positive, but...

...remember how the Libertarians got 'eternally marginalized' with the slur "they want to take America backward 200 years?" (or very similar)

Nickel
11-13-2007, 08:09 PM

I agree completely. I'm a fan of it, but given the readership of the paper, I think it's a tad heavy.

Taco John
11-13-2007, 08:16 PM
I love this ad. Very powerful and drives the point home...

Taco John
11-13-2007, 08:18 PM
People shouldn't be scared of the word "Revolution."

Pete Kay
11-13-2007, 08:19 PM
Who's buying the next ad?
Maybe, if you don't like it the way it is,
create an ad you do like,
and pay for it. Yourself.

F U

If you can't respect other people's opinions then I have no respect for you.

FluxCapacitor
11-13-2007, 08:21 PM
1) If you switch Washington and Franklin, everyone will be facing the center and no one will have his back to anyone else. As long as Franklin and Madison are on the left and Washington and Jefferson are on the right, it will look better.

2) At the lower left, change "Advocates a non-interventionist foreign policy." to "He advocates a non-interventionist foreign policy."

3) At the lower right, change it to: "Ron Paul is a principled, honest man of integrity."

4) Below that, change "As a Dr.," to "As a doctor,"

5) Below that, change "Served his country..." to "He served his country..."

6) "It's time to remind Washington" might sound a bit awkward, since Washington is the name of one of the men reminding us.

7) "bankrupted your nation" isn't exactly true. The nation is in debt, but isn't that a different concept than "bankrupt"?

Pete Kay
11-13-2007, 08:25 PM
The ad does not say the Founding Fathers endorse Ron Paul. The ad says the Founding Fathers WARNED you of etc... etc...etc... I fail to understand how this ad is in any way irreverant towards the Founding Fathers, rather, it shows respect towards the Founding Fathers in a dignified fashion.

If the ad was simply stating the Founders' beliefs and explained how Ron Paul stood by them, then that would be great. The ad says "We the Founders support the Ron Paul Revolution." I am strongly opposed to anyone putting words in the mouth of any person posthumously. It's very immoral. Would you want someone doing that to you?

American
11-13-2007, 08:25 PM
I like the ad, I always have.

While I dont share Pete's view I understand it but I question who thinks the founding father to be up there with Jesus's stature. But I do see the point, I dont think that is the majority opinion.....but I could be wrong.

Dont take this wrong they were brilliant men, but the American people certainly wont think this, hell they dont even to to mind in losing there civil liberties.

RPinSEAZ
11-13-2007, 08:28 PM
This is an unedited version and he already said they would take our comments into account and modify it accordingly. Don't fret.

qsecofr
11-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Think about this.

If this were a campaign ad put together by an official campaign I would agree but it's been developed and funded by private citizens of there own free will. In a way it's almost a story within itself, an ordinary person on the soap box being heard by millions.

If someone reads it and disagrees enough to become outraged by looking into the details they may find a change of heart. Otherwise for millions of people the name Ron Paul and Founding fathers may for the first time be crossed... details are often forgotten at ballot boxes but impressions linger.

American
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
I also must say, the are others who troll this site and while some worrying I dont think it warranted, you give them ammo to use against us later. This i dont think will be one of them but remember that when getting "creative" in constructive criticism

Pete Kay
11-13-2007, 08:31 PM
The ad does not hurt Ron Paul and to say that it does is just ridiculous. It's a masterpiece. Frankly, I can't believe anyone would trash it. It's not offensive. It's a beautiful piece of art and should be run as is with possibly a few minor changes. The bigger trajedy would be if it didn't run. Saying it would ruin Ron Paul is the same argument a few used to try and derail November 5th. Thank goodness these people weren't calling the shots.

I didn't say that it would ruin Ron Paul. It offends me immensely and I am being honest about my feelings. I think this ad is an unbelievable show of support. I just don't agree with the methods being used.

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:32 PM

My Earthlink account let's me create the 'throwaway' kind
to avoid spam.

He could always create a new email addy for this,
or use a 'throwaway' email addy.

Once it starts getting spammed a lot, just delete it.

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:36 PM
F U

If you can't respect other people's opinions then I have no respect for you.

umm.. did you read the forum rules? About personal attacks?

Dude.. YOU'RE NOT respecting llepard's opinion, now are you?

HIS opinion is that it's a GOOD ad. Isn't it?

Just sayin', if you don't like it, do your own.

And, I live in Raleigh, not too far away to say it to my face.

Convert
11-13-2007, 08:39 PM
I like the ad, and have no doubt that if the founding fathers looked over the current crop of candidates, they would endorse Dr Ron Paul. <applause>

Ron Paul Fan
11-13-2007, 08:40 PM
I didn't say that it would ruin Ron Paul. It offends me immensely and I am being honest about my feelings. I think this ad is an unbelievable show of support. I just don't agree with the methods being used.

It doesn't offend me one bit. I am also being honest about my feelings. I think this ad is a very believable show of support and I wholeheartedly agree with the methods being used. Run it!

Pete Kay
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
I like the ad, I always have.

While I dont share Pete's view I understand it but I question who thinks the founding father to be up there with Jesus's stature. But I do see the point, I dont think that is the majority opinion.....but I could be wrong.

Dont take this wrong they were brilliant men, but the American people certainly wont think this, hell they dont even to to mind in losing there civil liberties.

I respect your opinion. The whole goal of this ad is to appeal to people that actually revere the words of the Founding Fathers, so unless you care about their importance in America, you aren't even likely to read the ad. I personally have high respect for the Founding Fathers. One of the things that got me to support Ron Paul was to see quotes from the Founders juxtaposed with quotes from Ron Paul.

If this ad had a picture of Ronald Reagan claiming that he supported Ron Paul's Presidential election, then people would be outraged. The only way that this ad can be seen as acceptable is under the assumption that Ronald Reagan should be held at higher regard than the Founding Fathers.

speciallyblend
11-13-2007, 08:43 PM
Its just fine,you can never please everyone.

Cali4RonPaul
11-13-2007, 08:44 PM
We should call this in to CNN drop an info line.

speciallyblend
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I talked to the founding fathers last night,THEY ENDORSE RON PAUL,the 2 parties are lucky they went home today, the only one standing would be RON PAUL;)

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I respect your opinion.

Ok, it's just llepard's opinion that you don't respect. Got cha.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:47 PM
The whole goal of this ad is to appeal to people that actually revere the words of the Founding Fathers

Thanks for 'clueing us in' on the goal of the ad.

Pete Kay
11-13-2007, 08:48 PM
umm.. did you read the forum rules? About personal attacks?

Dude.. YOU'RE NOT respecting llepard's opinion, now are you?

HIS opinion is that it's a GOOD ad. Isn't it?

Just sayin', if you don't like it, do your own.

And, I live in Raleigh, not too far away to say it to my face.

So now you are going to threaten me? What the hell is your problem? If llepard doesn't want criticism then he shouldn't run it. You seem to think that anyone who doesn't line up with your views should shut their mouths. You sound a lot like a neo-con, not a Ron Paul supporter.

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:52 PM
So now you are going to threaten me? What the hell is your problem? If llepard doesn't want criticism then he shouldn't run it. You seem to think that anyone who doesn't line up with your views should shut their mouths. You sound a lot like a neo-con, not a Ron Paul supporter.

No. Maybe, take a 'reading comprehension' class?

YOU cursed ME.

I said, I'm not too far away, for you, to curse me, to my face.

Goldwater Conservative
11-13-2007, 08:54 PM
Looks good.

And I think when "revolution" is used in a positive, pro-peace, pro-America sense, people don't think of civil war like they do when extreme leftists or rightists use the word. They just assume it means sweeping change, and people across the board are clamoring for that nowadays.

Mark
11-13-2007, 08:55 PM
# 3, on my "ignored" list. Guess who?

Sey.Naci
11-13-2007, 08:59 PM
Am with Pete Kay on this. Am also shocked by the responses to his honest expression of feeling about the ad.

I think it's presumptuous to say that the Founders endorse Ron Paul. Perhaps more important, given RP's humility, I think he'd be terribly embarrassed by such presumptuousness on his behalf.

Mark
11-13-2007, 09:03 PM
Am with Pete Kay on this. Am also shocked by the responses to his honest expression of feeling about the ad.

Please everyone, there's already a thread bashing llepard's ad.

I just posted this one so that we could see the ad without scrolling across the page,
not to continue the 'hard core' bashing. Thank you.

Voice
11-13-2007, 09:08 PM
Whats going on here? Why are we censoring each-other? What is the threat in someone's opinion? Do you really value free speech? Do you really value reasoned debate?

"say it to my face" "Oh yeah? well I'm ignoring you! nya nya, I cant hear you"

people, can we PLEASE act like we have passed the age of cliques, base insults, and ignorance?

I'm sorry to put it this way, but this does nothing but hurt Dr. Paul and his message.

nigh_eve
11-13-2007, 09:09 PM
Do you think we should keep saying that he will abolish the IRS and federal income taxes? Can he really do that without congressional support? Shouldn't we be saying "Ron Paul will work to..." otherwise people will assume this is a "promise" (and a somewhat empty one at that.) Am I wrong -- Does the president have the power to do this?

Mark
11-13-2007, 09:13 PM
Whats going on here? Why are we censoring each-other? What is the threat in someone's opinion? Do you really value free speech? Do you really value reasoned debate?

"say it to my face" "Oh yeah? well I'm ignoring you! nya nya, I cant hear you"

people, can we PLEASE act like we have passed the age of cliques, base insults, and ignorance?

I'm sorry to put it this way, but this does nothing but hurt Dr. Paul and his message.

When someone says FU to you, by all means, defend yourself,
and, if you choose to no longer be subjected to such abuse,
you can always utilize the 'ignore' option.

Please everyone, there's already a thread bashing llepard's ad.

I just posted this one so that we could see the ad without scrolling across the page,
not to continue the 'hard core' bashing. Thank you.

Ozwest
I respect everyones opinions, but some of you are over-analyzing this. Dissecting every minutia of its content and trying to make it "one size fits all" for public consumption will result in a bland and generic ad... Make the minor corrections necessary, don't "candy coat" Dr. Pauls positions, just "tell it like it is." Who knows, the public may appreciate the first genuine and honest ad of the political season.

torchbearer
Do you think we should keep saying that he will abolish the IRS and federal income taxes? Can he really do that without congressional support? Shouldn't we be saying "Ron Paul will work to..." otherwise people will assume this is a "promise" (and a somewhat empty one at that.) Am I wrong -- Does the president have the power to do this?

The IRS is an executive agency, and thus could be shut down immediately by ron paul. and despite the income tax laws... with no IRS... there will be no one to enforce them. abolishing the IRS and federal income tax with on signature.

EotS
11-13-2007, 09:15 PM
I can see the perspective that it's a bit presumptuous, and I respect the poster for saying so.

But I think it grabs the reader and bites them in the butt a little. If there is a core support behind this movement, it is the mass of people alienated by modern politics. This ad taps into that sentiment.

IMO, Ron will not be embarrassed nor worried about this ad. It is not his. He'll respect that it is the action of an individual following his own way. He can disassociate from anything he does not agree with, while boasting about the motivation of an individual stepping up to voice his opinion.

This campaign is not in his control, nor should he want it to be. It is dynamic and growing because it isn't centralized.

Kudos to llepard.

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 09:47 PM
I can see the perspective that it's a bit presumptuous, and I respect the poster for saying so.

But I think it grabs the reader and bites them in the butt a little. If there is a core support behind this movement, it is the mass of people alienated by modern politics. This ad taps into that sentiment.

IMO, Ron will not be embarrassed nor worried about this ad. It is not his. He'll respect that it is the action of an individual following his own way. He can disassociate from anything he does not agree with, while boasting about the motivation of an individual stepping up to voice his opinion.

This campaign is not in his control, nor should he want it to be. It is dynamic and growing because it isn't centralized.

Kudos to llepard.

Welcome to the board! What made you register?

Eric21ND
11-13-2007, 10:09 PM
I like the ad, its totally unique. Some questions though, Do you think it features Ron Paul and the Tea Party donation drive prominently enough? Also is it a bit wordy? Maybe I'm just viewing it differently since its on a computer screen and no printed on a large newspaper. Opinions?

parke
11-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I like the ad. I dont like to use the word Revolution. Either you are with it or arent. Its a devicive word.

I think using actual quotes is smarter than using warnings repeatedly.

'I believe central banking is more dangerous to liberty than standing armies'
'Liberty once planted is a plant of rapid growth.'

Id try to make it more humble. Still sending the message but in a way RP would mirror in personality.

EotS
11-13-2007, 10:46 PM
Welcome to the board! What made you register?

Thanks!

I've been involved in the Ron Paul campaign since June as a meetup group member, and have dropped by this board from time to time as a reader. Most of my posting has been at dailypaul.com, but I find it hard to follow threads there.

I decided to log in as a member when I read about the USA today ad, and found out that it originated here. Nice work guys.

I'll probably become a regular here, esp if I can find some good discussion on liberty and economics.

lbadragan
11-13-2007, 10:52 PM
Great ad! People will stand up and take notice.

torchbearer
11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
Thanks!

I've been involved in the Ron Paul campaign since June as a meetup group member, and have dropped by this board from time to time as a reader. Most of my posting has been at dailypaul.com, but I find it hard to follow threads there.

I decided to log in as a member when I read about the USA today ad, and found out that it originated here. Nice work guys.

I'll probably become a regular here, esp if I can find some good discussion on liberty and economics.

I remember the days this board had around 500 people registered... and that was in may. we have over 6000 registered now... most of that happened after the 5th.
The threads move really fast here now, but there may be a restructure coming soon to help deal with the volume.

I've noticed a lot of new posters today... this USA Today ad is quite inspiring. We've done a lot of awesome things on this forum, I hope you can help us do some more!

rrroae
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
From a former neocon's perspective, the add hits home. Lots of people like me who are very conservative and tired of the current crop of GOP candidates cluelessness(is that a word?) are ripe for a message like this.

My only suggestion would be to cut down on the number of warnings from the FFs and instead increase the font of the most important points. Sometimes too much of something gets people to lose focus of the message you're trying to get out.

Very impressed by the way.

Mark
11-13-2007, 11:56 PM
From a former neocon's perspective, the add hits home. Lots of people like me who are very conservative and tired of the current crop of GOP candidates cluelessness(is that a word?) are ripe for a message like this.

My only suggestion would be to cut down on the number of warnings from the FFs and instead increase the font of the most important points. Sometimes too much of something gets people to lose focus of the message you're trying to get out.

Very impressed by the way.

Yep, llepard really went 'the whole nine yards' with this one.
Quite the Patriot he is for sure! :)

bootstrap
11-14-2007, 12:30 AM
I have several wording suggestions, but more importantly, I have one suggestion to address the reservations many people have (for many different reasons).

I suggest, right up at the very top of the ad (where it says "political ad"), put a sentence something like the following in big enough type so it cannot be missed (but not so big as to be confused with the ad itself):

... in the opinion of one citizen...

I think this helps prevent readers (and the media) from confusing the context of this ad - and blaming any of the content on Ron Paul, the campaign, this forum, or anything but the author.

Does that help anyone?

jacmicwag
11-14-2007, 01:36 AM
First, Mark great job on the web page display.

I agree somewhat with the minority on the ad for the following reasons.

1. The quotes from the founders are very powerful but the pictures don't evoke the same emotions and seem a bit quirky and outdated - an image I'd rather not associate with Ron.

2. The repeated phrase "We warned you" of this and that just seems a little bit over the top for me. First we see pics of our beloved founders and then they start preaching to us about how we screwed up voting for the neocons.

If I were paying for this ad, I'd lose the scare techniques and let Ron speak for himself in quotes rather than trying to interpret him.

BLS
11-14-2007, 01:50 AM
Jeebus....I don't like this, I don't like that, change this word, get rid of revolution.....

Ugh.

Lawrence, do whatever you feel like. Maybe consult a pro to make sure your investment gets you the most bang for the buck.

I say LEAVE the revolution in it.

It is what it is. People are FED UP with the status quo.

Mark
11-14-2007, 02:01 AM
First, Mark great job on the web page display.

I agree somewhat with the minority on the ad for the following reasons.

1. The quotes from the founders are very powerful but the pictures don't evoke the same emotions and seem a bit quirky and outdated - an image I'd rather not associate with Ron.

2. The repeated phrase "We warned you" of this and that just seems a little bit over the top for me. First we see pics of our beloved founders and then they start preaching to us about how we screwed up voting for the neocons.

If I were paying for this ad, I'd lose the scare techniques and let Ron speak for himself in quotes rather than trying to interpret him.

Thanks jacmicwag, it was no trouble at all.
IMO, any and all thanks should go to llepard, of course. :)

It's the least I could do to help everyone view the ad and suggest positive, constructive ideas,
minus the "I just don't like it", "it sucks", ect, types of posts.

Flirple
11-14-2007, 02:13 AM
Strongly disagree with you on this. Dr. Paul refers to the founders more than all the other candidates combined and explicitly supports his positions by reference to the beliefs of the founders. No one will think Thomas Jefferson is LITERALLY endorsing Ron Paul--but the message that they WOULD will be effective.

I think its very effective.

I agree. The only reason that this is not in bad taste is because it is not a stretch.

Just like when he introduced himself at that one debate with "I'm the champion of the constitution". When he said that it didn't sound like he was bragging or anything. It was just true. But if any other candidate had said that or an ad like this one was made on behalf of any other candidate it would clearly be distasteful.

Yes it is a bold ad. But I think it is justified and will be effective. And if there is a bit of controversy it will get people talking about it instead of ignoring it.