PDA

View Full Version : Legislation, the enemy of liberty!

tod evans
03-09-2012, 07:23 AM
Yesterday I started rambling about the courts (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?365928-Courts-Jury-s-and-Plea-Bargains-The-bastardization-of-the-legal-system).

Today I'll expand on that a bit with my opinion of legislation.

Let me start by saying for all of the millions of pages written and countless hours spent debating them, our elected officials have managed to infringe on personal liberty more than most dictators in the history books.

No amount of laws will ever dictate "proper thought", morals can't be taught with a gun or stick. Misguided senses of fairness and equality will never take hold by putting our own citizens in prisons or bombing other countries that refuse to adopt todays definition of "freedom".

No matter how carefully laws or policy are written if one person or group is "granted" something another must give something up.

Laws about milk,guns, pot, smoking, seat-belts, helmets,abortion, shrub height and even terminology are regularly debated and every time the desired result is to force some people to behave in a manner others find acceptable.

Most groups seeking to enact legislation try to do so at the federal level, when this happens we are permitting groups of people in densely populated areas to legislate behavior of those in rural areas, large corporations with lots of money to curtail the production of smaller companies via burdensome legislation, small groups of people seek tax dollars by claiming to be special or deserving due to no fault of their own.

Ron Paul is called Dr. No for a reason, he advocates returning to the constitution for a reason, same with states rights.....

If the federal government were reined in to the levels proscribed in the constitution and individual states were permitted to regulate themselves I have no doubt liberty at local levels would flourish.

So often I read comments here on RPF advocating more legislation to promote certain viewpoints......Wouldn't it be better for everyone if 99% of the federal legislation written in the last two centuries were redacted and people as well as states could behave in a manner right for them?

Move to a different state if yours doesn't suit you, as things are now even moving to a different country won't let a person escape our federal morality.

Shorty Dawkins
03-09-2012, 12:21 PM
tod evans,
Yes, you are right, IMHO. Any new law restricts freedom. How many hundreds of thousands of Laws and Regulations does it take to create Utopia? A "managed society", is a dead society. Freedom is vibrant, but most folks just want to watch football or American Idol. Let their chains rest lightly upon them.

Shorty Dawkins