PDA

View Full Version : Blood pressure pill Propranolol may "mute racist thoughts"

donnay
03-08-2012, 11:15 PM
Blood pressure pill Propranolol may "mute racist thoughts"

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/sideshow/feeling-racist-blood-pressure-pill-propranolol-may-open-223450211.html

A commonly prescribed drug used to treat high blood pressure may have the unintended benefit of muting racist thoughts in those who take it.

A new Oxford University research study found that Propranolol, which works to combat high blood pressure, anxiety, migraines, and a number of heart ailments, affects the same part of the central nervous system that regulates subconscious attitudes on race.

"Implicit racial bias can occur even in people with a sincere belief in equality," said Sylvia Terbeck, lead author of the study, which was published in the journal Psychopharmacology. "Given the key role that such implicit attitudes appear to play in discrimination against other ethnic groups, and the widespread use of Propranolol for medical purposes, our findings are also of considerable ethical interest."

Of course, the study is sure to raise concerns both over its validity and whether we should rely on prescription medication to regulate behavior, even for positive outcomes.

As Cardiff University School of Psychology's Dr. Chris Chambers told the Telegraph: "We don't know whether the drug influenced racial attitudes only or whether it altered implicit brain systems more generally. And we can't rule out the possibility that the effects were due to the drug incidentally reducing heart rate."

Another point of concern is the very limited range of subjects used in the test: All 36 participants were white males.

Nonetheless, the study yielded some discussion-worthy results. According to the Telegraph, test subjects who took 40mg of Propranolol scored "significantly lower" on the Harvard University Implicit Association Test, which measures "subtle and spontaneous biased behavior."

Science has had a long and complicated history with race and cultural issues. For example, a 2009 study trained Caucasian test subjects to better recognize the facial features of African-American men with similar characteristics. Early results from that research indicated that the individuals better equipped to differentiate between other individuals of different ethnicity displayed a greater level of racial tolerance. Conversely, the infamous "Little Albert Experiment," which tested conditioned emotional responses in a toddler found that certain negative emotional responses could be learned, and even programmed, over time. And there's the once-popular philosophy of Eugenics, which sought to improve the human race through natural selection. After gaining popularity with the Nazis during World War II, the term has been relegated to more of a political insult than a serious theoretical practice these days.

:eek:

Anti Federalist
03-08-2012, 11:54 PM
Well, once a pill is developed that engenders trust and love toward government authority, they'll pretty much have it dicked, forever, now won't they?

BuddyRey
03-08-2012, 11:56 PM
How many of y'all wanna bet that this will be mandatory in public schools within the decade? :D

donnay
03-08-2012, 11:59 PM
Well, once a pill is developed that engenders trust and love toward government authority, they'll pretty much have it dicked, forever, now won't they?

Isn't that what psychotropics do already?

Don't worry...be happy! :)

WilliamC
03-09-2012, 05:19 AM
Silly pharmecuticals and their pills, the solution to man's hatred was figured out long ago.

“Herb is the unification of mankind.”
― Bob Marley

eduardo89
03-09-2012, 05:24 AM
Does it cure spaniard hatred in Danke?

luctor-et-emergo
03-09-2012, 05:26 AM
How many of y'all wanna bet that this will be mandatory in public schools within the decade? :D

Maybe for anyone suspended for racist behavior, but yeah, forcing people to take medication is a problem that we get more and more into.
Even though racism is disgusting, medication like this is direct mind control, what is freedom if you are forced into another pattern of thought ?

Clearly I dislike racism, however, I'm not sure if I dislike forced mind control more.

The_Ruffneck
03-09-2012, 05:32 AM
perfect timing , now they can dish these pills out to anyone who doesn't vote for obama in the general election!

tod evans
03-09-2012, 05:47 AM
Lobotomy in pill form..

Federally approved thoughts via pharmacology.

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n02/historia/icepick.gif

donnay
03-09-2012, 11:15 AM
Does it cure spaniard hatred in Danke?

LOL!

tod evans
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Clearly I dislike racism, however, I'm not sure if I dislike forced mind control more.

WTF? Forced mind control is BETTER than any feeling or belief...

Come on! Even the idea of legislating "proper thought" revolts me.

jmdrake
03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Let's see. So if a bunch of tea party people took this pill and still disliked Obama would the media declare the pill a failure or that they disliked Obama for some reason other than racism? My bet is on the former.

aGameOfThrones
03-09-2012, 12:43 PM
Researchers at Oxford University claim to have discovered a "cure" for racism, in pill form. It only (supposedly!) stamps out biologically-inherent discrimination, apparently, so if someone's been Clockwork Oranged into a life of hate, maybe it won't be so helpful. But, to repeat: RACISM-CURING PILL.

http://gizmodo.com/5891917/racism+curing-pills-are-apparently-a-thing-now?tag=science

youngbuck
03-09-2012, 01:06 PM
Add it to the water, for the greater good!

LittleLightShining
03-09-2012, 01:08 PM
Lobotomy in pill form..

Federally approved thoughts via pharmacology.

http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n02/historia/icepick.gif

This is what the military started giving soldiers a few years ago. It's also referred to as a moral lobotomy and is used to stave of post traumatic stress disorder by desensitizing your conscience.