PDA

View Full Version : Everyone But Paul Coming To Mississippi

jay_dub
03-08-2012, 05:59 PM
Beginning today, we are seeing all the candidates except Ron Paul in Mississippi. Mitt Romney is speaking now at the port in Pascagoula, Newt will be in my town (Gulfport) tomorrow (not his only stop) and Santorum will be here Sunday (also not his only stop).

Now, I don't think Ron has a big chance of doing well here, but he guarantees it with no appearances. And there's something to be said about campaigning in all the states. The other candidates have spread out their appearances so they are covering all the state's major local media markets. They will all get featured local coverage in all these markets. This is retail politics.

Compare that to Ron's events. He's been getting huge crowds at selected events, but this hasn't translated into votes. I'm starting to wonder if he shouldn't be doing more like the others. Ron's a rock star, so to speak, but he's not winning.

Anyone want to weigh in on comparing these strategies? It just seems to me that more appearances = more support. I mean, even if someone doesn't go to these events, they hear about it on the local news and likely know someone that did go. This creates a buzz. The huge events aren't doing the trick. Personally, I think the big events can have a reverse effect as it may keep some older voters away that don't want to fight crowds and it leaves the impression in some people's minds that Ron is strictly a candidate for the young. Is it time to change strategy while there is still time?

alucard13mmfmj
03-08-2012, 06:07 PM
I mentioned it in another thread. Ron Paul supporters are the strength of his campaign... but a weakness as well.

We go to rallies and make it huge... but I feel that these huge rallies hurt us. There are times when rallies overflow with occupants. I sometimes think that Ron Paul supporters crowd out the undecided voters who may want to see Ron talk. Also, older voters might not want to fight with the crowd to hear Ron. I am pretty sure most people are questioning why high rally turnout does not translate to votes.

I sometimes get annoyed if there was a townhall of like 200 max occupancy... 100 ron paul supporters get in and there are people who can get in, who may be undecideds. I hope that RP supporters volunteer to leave a rally to let undecided and maybe old voters go to hear Ron.

ZanZibar
03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
There is no chance of him winning Mississippi, therefore he's not going to waste any resources on it.

sailingaway
03-08-2012, 06:13 PM
I wonder where he'll be? two of them are not competing in KS. Is Kansas a better bet for delegates than Mississippi?

bluesc
03-08-2012, 06:14 PM
Priorities.

D.A.S.
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
That's because there's Missouri, Kansas and Hawaii to focus on. Ole Miss is Gingrich territory, so the 3 status quo dudes will be duking it out.

jay_dub
03-08-2012, 06:17 PM
I just caught the local news. Mitt is done. He only spoke for about 15 minutes. He landed at the local airport, drove to the site and bang..on to the next one. He only had about 150 people there to see him, but this story is the feature story on tonight's news and will lead off the 10:00 news, too. Not to mention the newspaper coverage.

Newt will be speaking at our high school tomorrow at 3:30. It seats about 1,000 but I doubt he will fill the place up. Santorum is speaking at a restaurant Sunday. Definitely will be a small crowd there. Like Mitt, though, all these guys will be featured on the news and be front page news in the paper.

The % is low for people paying much attention at this stage, so you have to go where the people are. It's kind of a common sense thing to me. Frankly, crowd size only gets you bragging rights and we need votes.

jay_dub
03-08-2012, 06:27 PM
I wonder where he'll be? two of them are not competing in KS. Is Kansas a better bet for delegates than Mississippi?

There is no chance of him winning Mississippi, therefore he's not going to waste any resources on it.

Priorities.

That's because there's Missouri, Kansas and Hawaii to focus on. Ole Miss is Gingrich territory, so the 3 status quo dudes will be duking it out.

I understand priorities, but I understand results, too... which we are seeing too little of. My argument would be that he could cover a state in a day, get some local exposure (which is what counts) and move on to the next one. This is not that expensive, certainly cheaper than ad buys.

It's a new ball game and no state can be ignored. Shoot, this is the first time in my memory (and I'm 55) that my state has ever mattered in the primary season. It's always been over by the time we got our shot.

And look, if Ron is quick to challenge anyone to a bike ride, why doesn't he show the same endurance on the campaign trail? I'm tired of seeing huge crowds and little to show for it. The election won't be won by a few large rallies and then going back to Texas. It's time to get busy if we're in it to win it.

PierzStyx
03-08-2012, 06:32 PM

Pretty much this. The man, even with our support, only has SO much money. He is using it where he won't be wasting it. A run against Grinch and Frothy in the Deep South is about as winnable for Paul as Utah is for anyone BUT Romney.

PierzStyx
03-08-2012, 06:33 PM
I understand priorities, but I understand results, too... which we are seeing too little of. My argument would be that he could cover a state in a day, get some local exposure (which is what counts) and move on to the next one. This is not that expensive, certainly cheaper than ad buys.

It's a new ball game and no state can be ignored. Shoot, this is the first time in my memory (and I'm 55) that my state has ever mattered in the primary season. It's always been over by the time we got our shot.

And look, if Ron is quick to challenge anyone to a bike ride, why doesn't he show the same endurance on the campaign trail? I'm tired of seeing huge crowds and little to show for it. The election won't be won by a few large rallies and then going back to Texas. It's time to get busy if we're in it to win it.

He has been. The media just doesn't COVER him like they do everyone else. He is out there working HARD for it.

alucard13mmfmj
03-08-2012, 06:36 PM
I just caught the local news. Mitt is done. He only spoke for about 15 minutes. He landed at the local airport, drove to the site and bang..on to the next one. He only had about 150 people there to see him, but this story is the feature story on tonight's news and will lead off the 10:00 news, too. Not to mention the newspaper coverage.

Newt will be speaking at our high school tomorrow at 3:30. It seats about 1,000 but I doubt he will fill the place up. Santorum is speaking at a restaurant Sunday. Definitely will be a small crowd there. Like Mitt, though, all these guys will be featured on the news and be front page news in the paper.

The % is low for people paying much attention at this stage, so you have to go where the people are. It's kind of a common sense thing to me. Frankly, crowd size only gets you bragging rights and we need votes.

Romney and Santorum are doing small public appearances. Better chance for undecideds and elderly to go see them. Better time management.

bluesc
03-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Mississippi governor endorses Romney

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/08/mississippi-governor-endorses-romney/

roversaurus
03-08-2012, 06:38 PM
Paul should go to ONE state. Live there. Advertise on TV, Radio and newspaper. Hold multiple events every single day.

Try to win.

One state. Try to win. I assume that he doesn't really want to win a state. So what the heck is he doing with all my money? Why does he keep asking for more?

ZanZibar
03-08-2012, 06:40 PM
I understand priorities, but I understand results, too... which we are seeing too little of. Really?

Compare the amount of votes he got in 2008 to 2012. Results are way up.

My argument would be that he could cover a state in a day, get some local exposure (which is what counts) and move on to the next one. This is not that expensive, certainly cheaper than ad buys.You obviously don't understand how much money it would cost to bring RP to Mississippi, and it would have almost zero electoral benefit.

It's a new ball game and no state can be ignored. Lots of states have to be ignored because they can't be won by Ron Paul; Mississippi is one of them.

ZanZibar
03-08-2012, 06:41 PM
Paul should go to ONE state. Live there. Advertise on TV, Radio and newspaper. Hold multiple events every single day.

Try to win.

One state. Try to win. I assume that he doesn't really want to win a state. So what the heck is he doing with all my money? Why does he keep asking for more?Putting all your eggs in one basket is somewhat foolish. The idea is to get as many delegates as possible which means working in all of the caucus states.

roversaurus
03-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Romney and Santorum are doing small public appearances. Better chance for undecideds and elderly to go see them. Better time management.

Actually, I don't think so. You need 10's of thousands of votes to win. You can NOT talk to that many people in small gatherings. What Romney and Santorum REALLY do is get in the media, local news, radio and TV and print. Then they get on national radio, and TV and print. Then they advertise and their pacs advertise.

Paul isn't covered in national media and when he is it is to say he has no chance and to attack him. And he's being attacked and dismissed by the very media outlets that republicans listen to.

Yes, Paul should do a lot of local meetings and even go door to door - Heck, it will get him a few votes. It will also get his base excited and active ... but the important thing it does is get him in local media cause he sure isn't getting national coverage.

Stop criticizing the rallies. The problem is that he doesn't have ENOUGH of those rallies. Those are what get talked about and covered in the local press.

NoOneButPaul
03-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Good.

Spending any time in the South is time wasted.

jay_dub
03-08-2012, 07:18 PM
Really?

[QUOTE]Compare the amount of votes he got in 2008 to 2012. Results are way up.

Is that what we're after? You could say the same about Gingrich and Santorum, too. Heck, they weren't even in it in '08 and they're ahead.

You obviously don't understand how much money it would cost to bring RP to Mississippi, and it would have almost zero electoral benefit.

Thanks for telling me what I don't understand. I don't want to go off getting critical of RP, but tell me how much it's cost for him to go back to Texas every time and the electoral benefit from that. The fact is that the campaign has received millions. Another poster mentioned time management. I would add that it's about getting the most bang for the buck, too. If it's ads vs personal appearances, I would say an appearance is more effective than an ad buy. And how much is it costing to send his son and campaign manager to Hawaii? BTW, the last numbers I see (ending January 31, 2012) show the campaign has spent over $30 million.

Lots of states have to be ignored because they can't be won by Ron Paul; Mississippi is one of them.

If that's the criteria, he could have ignored them all because so far there are zero wins. And no lectures about delegates, please. And yes, I know the establishment and the media are against RP. That's why I think it's important to make more appearances. I'm not whining about my state and I know he made an appearance waaay back. I think it's time to reassess strategy, though. Super Tuesday is over and there's no wins. The poster that said he should camp out in a state for a win makes more sense at this point than continuing doing the same thing.

I'm not frustrated. I'm trying to compare strategies and the resultant success or lack thereof. From what I see, there are zero caucuses left after Missouri on March 17. Obviously, it's time to get away from the caucus strategy. In a week they're all done.

roversaurus
03-08-2012, 08:10 PM

Actually, I don't think so. You need 10's of thousands of votes to win. You can NOT talk to that many people in small gatherings. What Romney and Santorum REALLY do is get in the media, local news, radio and TV and print. Then they get on national radio, and TV and print. Then they advertise and their pacs advertise.

Paul isn't covered in national media and when he is it is to say he has no chance and to attack him. And he's being attacked and dismissed by the very media outlets that republicans listen to.

Yes, Paul should do a lot of local meetings and even go door to door - Heck, it will get him a few votes. It will also get his base excited and active ... but the important thing it does is get him in local media cause he sure isn't getting national coverage.

Stop criticizing the rallies. The problem is that he doesn't have ENOUGH of those rallies. Those are what get talked about and covered in the local press.

IterTemporis
03-08-2012, 08:22 PM
Ron Paul did not campaign in Florida, if it hadn't of been for those 2 FL debates, then he would of never come to FL. It made perfect sense for him to not campaign there, he wasn't going to win and he was expected to get 4th. Why waste money to go to FL?

I did read that you are not whining, but honestly, in my opinion, it does look like you are. If you wish for him to make more appearances, then he should do it in states where he has a chance of performing well. Not southern states.

I think Iowa was his best chance because he was there very often, and by him always being there, he was able to connect with the people and win their support. They got to discover the true Ron Paul, not the media-tarnished Ron Paul. That is why his support rose, and he was destined to win. However, that all turned to dust when the media continuously attacked him, and faked a Santorum surge. I think that in order for RP to be as successful as he was in Iowa, he needs time so that he can break through the influence of the media, and show them who he really is. Unfortunately, he doesn't have as much time to connect with people as he did in the months prior to Iowa.