PDA

View Full Version : How much would you put towards running the mosaic ad nationally?

Bryan
11-13-2007, 06:46 PM
Just curious... :)

For those new here this mosaic ad was created by some forum members who funded it to be used in Iowa during the Straw Poll.

Assume that the mosaic can be redone to include everyones pictures who contributed and would be run on 12/21 (the Friday before a Tuesday Christmas)- but details aren't important in this show of hands. :)

http://www.mmashirts.com/capturedata470446.jpg

ChrisM
11-13-2007, 06:52 PM
$30. I'm part of Ron Paul's cheek.

Bryan
11-13-2007, 07:05 PM
$30. I'm part of Ron Paul's cheek.
Nice, I have no idea where I am but I'm in there somewhere! :)

So, has llepard inspired us enough? :)

Furis
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I have this ad on my door.

amonasro
11-13-2007, 07:06 PM
I hope it doesn't end up looking like Edward's mosaic! That thing was truly horrendous. Like a big blob.

Mark Rushmore
11-13-2007, 07:07 PM
You know, I responded to the poll with "12/16 is it" because I didn't get a chance to actually see the ad. Now that I see it, I take back my vote ;).

Bryan
11-13-2007, 07:08 PM
I hope it doesn't end up looking like Edward's mosaic! That thing was truly horrendous. Like a big blob.
Have a link? This should look as-is basically. :)

Bryan
11-13-2007, 07:09 PM
You know, I responded to the poll with "12/16 is it" because I didn't get a chance to actually see the ad. Now that I see it, I take back my vote ;).
Let me know your new vote and I'll change it- this is electronic voting! :D

Mark Rushmore
11-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Let me know your new vote and I'll change it- this is electronic voting! :D

$50

amonasro
11-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Have a link? This should look as-is basically. :)

I wish I did but it looks like they took it down. I know RP's will look 1000 times better, but Edward's was pretty hilarious if anyone can dig it up.

Lord Xar
11-13-2007, 07:21 PM
when you say nationally, what do you mean? Do you mean in every major cities newspapers.. Or hitting key target newspapers... LA TIMES, NY TIMES, CHICAGO SUN TIMES etc...

what?

ronpaulyourmom
11-13-2007, 07:24 PM
This ad is my favorite of all time, I'd throw down a lot of people showed a willingness to rally.

robertwerden
11-13-2007, 07:26 PM
Im in for $50 pm me with the details when its ready.

Bryan
11-13-2007, 07:28 PM
when you say nationally, what do you mean? Do you mean in every major cities newspapers.. Or hitting key target newspapers... LA TIMES, NY TIMES, CHICAGO SUN TIMES etc...

what?
I'm really just thinking "big impact" - it's arguably better to target specific markets now as you say but this could be "Round II" for USA Today. :) This is just a show of hands to see if anything could be considered- there seems to be a lot of excitement over the Founders ad going national.

Lord Xar
11-13-2007, 07:30 PM
well.. I would be willing to put in a grand at least, but if you want to make this a splash, you'd have to consider three or four outlets and hit them on the same day across the united states... either the big newspapers OR the big magazines....

Bryan
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
well.. I would be willing to put in a grand at least, but if you want to make this a splash, you'd have to consider three or four outlets and hit them on the same day across the united states... either the big newspapers OR the big magazines....

That's outstanding- as is this ad and all the work you did on it. I agree the idea is to make a big splash- I'd leave the marketing specifics to someone that has a clue. :p (not me). I'm just curious to see how big of a splash we could make- $10K? $50K? $100K? :eek: Frankly, I have no idea.

ShowMeLiberty
11-13-2007, 07:36 PM
If the actual donating could start in January, I might be able to do more than $10.

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Worth considering: A color ad like this, on a full page, in the Washington Post or USA Today will probably be about 160-180,000.00. Not trying to be a killjoy, but I thought I'd mention it.

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 07:39 PM
A full page ad, in color, in Time magazine is 120,000.00.

jake
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
and $120,000 could very well be worth it. you would need a really flashy website to accept donations toward the cause, and I think it would be doable

(and of course, read up on the legalities of everything)

Naraku
11-13-2007, 07:43 PM
I think putting it in magazines is a good idea. Time and Newsweek would be great magazines to get the ad in.

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 07:45 PM
Nothing wrong with thinking BIG!

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 07:52 PM
Another good thing about advertising in a magazine is their longevity. A magazine gets left on a coffee table or quite often ends up in business reception areas.

Bryan
11-13-2007, 09:37 PM
Nothing wrong with thinking BIG!

Exactly. Just checking...

Bump. :)

richard1984
11-13-2007, 09:43 PM
Would it be a "new and improved" version of the mosaic? Surely we can get enough pictures at this point in the campaign (I remember when people were doubtful...:p ;)) to increase the number of "pixels" and to not have to repeat pictures (I know that I'm in there more than once, as are my fiancée and my sister)! :D

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 09:49 PM
Getting new pictures into the ad should be easily enough done and would encourage peoples involvment.

richard1984
11-13-2007, 10:13 PM
Getting new pictures into the ad should be easily enough done and would encourage peoples involvment.

My thoughts exactly! :cool:

Hell! We could almost totally redo the ad (or at least choose a new picture), but keep the concept.

There are way more people involved in the campaign than there were back during the Iowa straw poll, you know? This could be really big this time!

Energy
11-13-2007, 10:15 PM
Is the price essentially double for a 2-page spread?

From a direct marketing standpoint, say we do just the 1-page mosaic. Will it pique enough interest for a new person to explore Ron Paul or would it just be eye candy, a pretty ad like an Absolut ad?

Or would an ad designed to push hot buttons, address top issues, make Ron stand out, have calls to action work better (e.g. most contributions from military, withdraw immediately, falling dollar, save economy, only one to vote against issuing gold medal to Rosa Parks and Reagan)?

How about first get opinions from random people on the street?

Ozwest
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
The mosaic ad we ran previously received a HUGE response.

Dlynne
11-13-2007, 10:20 PM
Could we run this in New Hampshire? How much would that cost, for the biggest Sunday papers in that state?

richard1984
11-13-2007, 10:21 PM
The mosaic ad we ran previously received a HUGE response.

So this time it could be one of the biggest things we do!
Having you picture in a Ron Paul ad is about as exciting as it gets! :cool:

ronpaulhawaii
11-13-2007, 10:28 PM
I'd pitch in as much as I could afford, I'll have no idea of that till the end of this thing I'm doing. The flyer made from that ad is absolutly the best hand out I have used on this trip.

I actually thought alot today about llepard's stunning contribution and the thread about it I read on breaks. Haven't gotten around to that yet, but did think that if we could raise 4.3m for HQ in one day, we could do a heck of a lot more advertising. Sort of a ClubMax type moneybomb thing...

m- is almost in a frame of mind to blog, pedaling is mind numbing...

jenius
11-13-2007, 10:45 PM
It is a gorgeous ad.

What would be a great use for this ad would be to make it into a wall poster and sell it on the online store at RonPaul2008, and sell it at all of Ron Paul's rallies by the official campaign. A great poster like that would really sell: every one of us would want one!

Brian Bailey
11-13-2007, 10:48 PM
I could do $50.

(Dibs on an eyebrow! :p)

Mark Rushmore
11-13-2007, 10:49 PM
For the record, I couldn't care less if my face was in there in response to a donation, the ad as it was posted looks amazing - I'd prefer to keep about the current face/pixel ratio rather than lose the individuality of the blocks.

Just my 2 cents.

jpa
11-13-2007, 10:49 PM
I think we should advertise in businessweek

richard1984
11-13-2007, 10:59 PM
For the record, I couldn't care less if my face was in there in response to a donation, the ad as it was posted looks amazing - I'd prefer to keep about the current face/pixel ratio rather than lose the individuality of the blocks.

Just my 2 cents.

If you could see the ad better (actual size) you may have a difference opinion. I think that my sister's picture is in the ad about 4 times, I think I'm in there 3-4 times, my fiancée's in there 2-3 times, etc.... That's a problem.
Why not make it all that it can be?
I hear ya "about the current face/pixel ratio rather than lose the individuality of the blocks," but just imagine the possibilities!!!
Maybe I'm a little too idealistic, but I smile at the thought of the possibilities of a mosaic ad at this point in the campaign.... The symbolism is so beautiful! :D

Mark Rushmore
11-13-2007, 11:05 PM
If you could see the ad better (actual size) you may have a difference opinion. I think that my sister's picture is in the ad about 4 times, I think I'm in there 3-4 times, my fiancée's in there 2-3 times, etc.... That's a problem.
Why not make it all that it can be?
I hear ya "about the current face/pixel ratio rather than lose the individuality of the blocks," but just imagine the possibilities!!!
Maybe I'm a little too idealistic, but I smile at the thought of the possibilities of a mosaic ad at this point in the campaign.... The symbolism is so beautiful! :D

You're right I can't judge the print ad, only the size that was posted. I'm not fearful of any modification at all, I'm just saying that it's best to commit to the best ad possible and not "every donor's face"... if there winds up being 20,000 donors or something crazy, it just wouldn't have the same effect ;)

purplechoe
11-14-2007, 12:12 AM
I would be down for at least $50-100. Since we're thinking BIG, how about we buy the cover? How much would that cost? :D