PDA

View Full Version : 5% Youth Turnout On Super Tuesday

anaconda
03-07-2012, 07:15 PM
Didn't see any statistic on how this compared with the turnout in other age demographics, however.

http://www.usnews.com/news/blogs/washington-whispers/2012/03/07/ron-paul-not-a-hit-with-youth-voters-on-super-tuesday

Zap!
03-07-2012, 09:05 PM
I'd like to take the weed those punks were smoking and put it out in their eyes. Then force them to shave, get haircuts, dress human, and get their asses up and vote in those remaining primaries.

Young dirtbags. 20 years ago I was a teenage voter. If I could do it without a car and walk to the voting booths, so can these pansy Mary's.

thoughtomator
03-07-2012, 09:09 PM
I'd like to take the weed those punks were smoking and put it out in their eyes. Then force them to shave, get haircuts, dress human, and get their asses up and vote in those remaining primaries.

They're all going to get drafted and some Sergeant is going to do that for you.

Spikender
03-07-2012, 09:13 PM
I guess I'm part of that 5% then... the polling places in Virginia, at least where I live, were absolutely deserted... then again, I do live in Obama supporter territory.

And as a little insight, it's not because on they're on weed. I go to a technical school and interact with the "youth vote" everyday. The truth is, they just don't care. At all. 99% of the people I talked to didn't care about going out and voting, and the one guy that did vote also voted for Ron Paul, so at least I'm not alone...

kah13176
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
18 year old Georgia voter and delegate here. Try not to lump me into the same category as my counterparts.

MikeStanart
03-07-2012, 09:14 PM
FFS.

At 19 (2004), I was giddy like a school girl to be able to vote for Michael Badnarik and "Stick it to the Man"; and laughed in the faces of whoever said I was "wasting my vote".

What's with these kids?

On a side-note; At 19 I got to meet Mr. Badnarik at a small meet-and greet and asked him in front of a large group of people about legalizing marijuana. I told him that I had never touched the stuff, but the war on drugs was laughable and had disasterous side-effects. He walked up to me and gave me a big animated smile and shook my hand eargily saying "Well I'm proud of you, son!"

Lawl. That always stuck with me.

ZanZibar
03-07-2012, 11:09 PM
This is why going after "the youth vote" is a waste of time. We have to focus on likely Republican voters, people who are already going to the polls anyway.

BUSHLIED
03-07-2012, 11:12 PM
This is why going after "the youth vote" is a waste of time. We have to focus on likely Republican voters, people who are already going to the polls anyway.

YEP, we've been saying this for years! No one wants to listen.

Feeding the Abscess
03-08-2012, 01:05 AM

Likely Republican voters love the state and the benefits it bestows. That's also a waste of time.

ZanZibar
03-08-2012, 08:57 AM
Likely Republican voters love the state and the benefits it bestows. That's also a waste of time.No, they are starting to come around, if ever slowly. You win elections by convincing voters to vote for your guy. That's our job.

bluesc
03-08-2012, 09:03 AM

I'm glad you agree with almost everyone here. Now, convincing the campaign staff of the same thing..

bluesc
03-08-2012, 09:03 AM

Young dirtbags. 20 years ago I was a teenage voter. If I could do it without a car and walk to the voting booths, so can these pansy Mary's.

I can smoke weed and vote.

Please don't send Buchanan to confiscate my weed.

Lucille
03-08-2012, 09:28 AM

They sure got the vote out for O-bomb-ya (http://www.opednews.com/articles/Youth-vote-helped-elect-Ob-by-Robert-Weiner-110220-762.html).

Liberty74
03-08-2012, 09:58 AM

Bingo!

LibertyEagle
03-08-2012, 10:02 AM

Dr. Paul keeps talking about the "young people", hardly ever mentioning anyone over 30.

As he has been known to say.... you get more of, what you subsidize. If he doesn't acknowledge, nor speak to, middle-aged or older conservatives, he's probably not going to get many of their votes.

Bruno
03-08-2012, 10:07 AM

Mmmm....seems like a message someone should have strongly shared with the campaign. ;)

xFiFtyOnE
03-08-2012, 10:16 AM
I guess I'm part of that 5% then... the polling places in Virginia, at least where I live, were absolutely deserted... then again, I do live in Obama supporter territory.

And as a little insight, it's not because on they're on weed. I go to a technical school and interact with the "youth vote" everyday. The truth is, they just don't care. At all. 99% of the people I talked to didn't care about going out and voting, and the one guy that did vote also voted for Ron Paul, so at least I'm not alone...

That is so true. Most of the people my age don't care about politics at all. They honestly think either it doesn't effect them or they can't change anything. My younger sister(24) didn't care about politics. So I sent her a video on facebook showing some of the "humantitarian" NATO bombings in Libya. After seeing a toddler with his jaw blown off she said she would vote for Ron Paul if he could stop the wars. I guess it's a start. :P

Sublyminal
03-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Typical of the young ass kids out there. They want change but don't want to help initiate that change. RP needs to say fuck you, and start hitting the 30 plus crowd harder. The only time these punks will start caring is when they receive draft orders. Little do they know they can't draft dodge anymore so they're screwed.

Massachusetts
03-08-2012, 10:51 AM
Is it the youth that are the problem or the system they are being brought up in? The system of entitlements, the system where the winner of the popular vote doesn't win the election, the system where candidates talk about things that most young people genuinely don't believe effects them. People don't vote unless they feel compelled to do so, as if their lives are being affected. And besides..the youth vote has always been tough to grab..it isn't just this generation.

Feeding the Abscess
03-08-2012, 10:57 AM
Is it the youth that are the problem or the system they are being brought up in? The system of entitlements, the system where the winner of the popular vote doesn't win the election, the system where candidates talk about things that most young people genuinely don't believe effects them. People don't vote unless they feel compelled to do so, as if their lives are being affected. And besides..the youth vote has always been tough to grab..it isn't just this generation.

You nailed it, and that system of enslavement was put in place by our parents and grandparents, and we are taught in their indoctrination centers that this system is good, just, and moral. That if we oppose this system we want old people, single mothers, and the poor to die in the streets, and that we are immoral.

It is amazing that a spark has been lit in the youth at all, and people here want to place the blame on my generation? Get real.

Zap!
03-09-2012, 12:23 AM
I can smoke weed and vote.

Please don't send Buchanan to confiscate my weed.

Haha, as long as you vote you're ok with me. As long as you don't have messy hair, a 5 o'clock shadow, and dress like a skater, that is. :)

kaitywhales
03-09-2012, 12:45 AM
I don't know about any of the other states, but in indiana, the college students are on spring break, which might have affected the outcomes.

soulcyon
03-09-2012, 12:46 AM
20 years old here. Took me 3 months to convince my friends to even care about "politics", and another month to convince them to Google "Ron Paul" and stop watching Fox. Hopefully they'll come out to vote with me in June.

Jingles
03-09-2012, 12:48 AM
I'm a "youth". I just can't vote until April 24th for that is when the PA primary is...

QuickZ06
03-09-2012, 02:02 AM
Seems our government education, propaganda and system is working flawlessly, well to the elites at least.

I dont lump anyone in a group as I have met 60 year olds who have never voted in there life. We have problems all across the board. So instead of complaining on here, lets get out there and change the mindset of not just the youth but all non voters. Anywhere I go or whoever I talk to I mention Ron Paul, I don't care if they don't wanna listen, ill talk anyways. At least I put the idea in their head and then hopefully it will grow into something more.

satchelmcqueen
03-09-2012, 02:08 AM
+1 million! hear hear.!!!!

3kgt
03-09-2012, 02:18 AM

Yeah um. I nearly neg repped you for this but I didn't because I'm not a jackass. I smoke weed quite frequently and I work 40+ hours a week, pay for all of my own expenses, and will be voting in my primary coming up next month. I'm 19. Please don't make generalizations, pot doesn't make people lazy, lazy people smoke pot.

Really tired of the weed nazi's criticizing smokers as a group.

RabbitMan
03-09-2012, 11:42 AM
Really it sounds like the culprit here is that young people....*drum roll*...ARE NOT REPUBLICANS!

The young people that didn't vote for Ron Paul at my WA Caucus were with their parents, reluctantly raising their hands during votes because they didn't care or didn't know enough and were following along. And lets face it, not many young people understand the primary system and rest easy 'knowing' they will vote in the General Election. Where it *actually* matters. Ya know?

But for the most part, youth are liberals. It's not that we are brainwashed, it is just that the order of knowledge when it comes to political philosophies goes from Neocon Repub < Democrat. Of course, we know there is a Third way that is superior to even that, but that is just the way it is. The average young guy thinks Republicans are morons who believe in voodoo economics and the rapture and at best are just corrupt as hell. On the converse, they don't always think Dems are better, but they feel at least they are not mind-controlled by religion, are better informed, and understand that investments in education and green energy are the future.

Zap!
03-09-2012, 02:06 PM
Yeah um. I nearly neg repped you for this but I didn't because I'm not a jackass. I smoke weed quite frequently and I work 40+ hours a week, pay for all of my own expenses, and will be voting in my primary coming up next month. I'm 19. Please don't make generalizations, pot doesn't make people lazy, lazy people smoke pot.

Really tired of the weed nazi's criticizing smokers as a group.

Some of my best friends smoke weed. That wasn't my problem if you re-read my post, it was those who have all of those features. Just one or two of those features is fine.

Mordan
03-09-2012, 02:45 PM
a friend, supporter of Ron Paul in VA didn't go vote... He didn't know when Virginia was voting... hopeless.

just a fact of life. Statistically, Young Voters don't show up to Vote.

xFiFtyOnE
03-09-2012, 03:08 PM
Haha, as long as you vote you're ok with me. As long as you don't have messy hair, a 5 o'clock shadow, and dress like a skater, that is. :)

I know this wasn't directed at me but....what's wrong with that look? :confused:

Zap!
03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
I know this wasn't directed at me but....what's wrong with that look? :confused:

I just can't stand that look, and everytime I go to a Ron Paul meeting, it's filled with them. I guess it's a libertarian youth thing. I'm a paleo-con. When I was 19, I dressed militia style (black boots and BDU pants).

asurfaholic
03-09-2012, 03:29 PM
I just can't stand that look, and everytime I go to a Ron Paul meeting, it's filled with them. I guess it's a libertarian youth thing. I'm a paleo-con. When I was 19, I dressed militia style (black boots and BDU pants).
No need to hate on those who dress different... i personally had the skater / surfer look.... still do to an extent. My non work shoes are skate shoes and my hair is always a mess....

Socially acceptable dress code is not cool. Goes against every freedom loving bone in my body..

xFiFtyOnE
03-09-2012, 03:31 PM

Don't let the old tshirt an skate shoes fool ya! I still rock a shotgun and can recite the constitution. :cool:

Zap!
03-09-2012, 03:34 PM
No need to hate on those who dress different... i personally had the skater / surfer look.... still do to an extent. My non work shoes are skate shoes and my hair is always a mess....

Socially acceptable dress code is not cool. Goes against every freedom loving bone in my body..

I don't hate them at all, I just don't like their look. I do however support their right to dress how they please.

MoneyWhereMyMouthIs2
03-09-2012, 07:05 PM

I didn't see anything about weed in the article. Not sure why you seem so uppity about peoples' appearances, either.

Zap!
03-09-2012, 07:16 PM
I didn't see anything about weed in the article. Not sure why you seem so uppity about peoples' appearances, either.

Although I defend a person's right to dress/look as they choose, I'm just not a very tolerant person. I'm a Constitution Party member, not a Libertarian (if that matters). Just tonight I was in a Chinese food restaurant ordering takeout food. While waiting for my food, I couldn't help but notice one guy wearing shorts and a hoodie. Mind you it's under 40 degrees here. Then another guy walked in, also in shorts and a hoodie, but this guy had flip flops too. I despise the shorts and hoodie/jacket look because I despise the rushing the Summer crowd. In my mind, they leave the house and think "Yeah bro, I'm tough, I can take the cold!" If there's anything worse than a skater, it's a bro. I couldn't wait to get out of there and leave.

But, I do stress it's their right to dress how they choose. Just respect my right not to like it or associate with them.

anaconda
03-09-2012, 07:30 PM
Although I defend a person's right to dress/look as they choose, I'm just not a very tolerant person. I'm a Constitution Party member, not a Libertarian (if that matters). Just tonight I was in a Chinese food restaurant ordering takeout food. While waiting for my food, I couldn't help but notice one guy wearing shorts and a hoodie. Mind you it's under 40 degrees here. Then another guy walked in, also in shorts and a hoodie, but this guy had flip flops too. I despise the shorts and hoodie/jacket look because I despise the rushing the Summer crowd. In my mind, they leave the house and think "Yeah bro, I'm tough, I can take the cold!" If there's anything worse than a skater, it's a bro. I couldn't wait to get out of there and leave.

But, I do stress it's their right to dress how they choose. Just respect my right not to like it or associate with them.

Can you define "bro" for me?

anaconda
03-09-2012, 07:31 PM
How about the nerd look? Stretchy polyester pants with super uncool sneakers.

BlackTerrel
03-09-2012, 07:53 PM
Most people under 25 if they vote - vote democrat - they're not voting in Republican primaries.

Zap!
03-09-2012, 10:29 PM
Can you define "bro" for me?

Here ya go:

http://www.facebook.com/groups/311473123705/

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/18633_309330123502_810528502_3326944_1874318_n.jpg

But remember though, while every guido is a bro, not every bro is a guido.