PDA

View Full Version : If I don't join the union??

RileyE104
03-07-2012, 09:27 AM
I don't want to mention the exact location I work at but it's a minumum wage job.

I know the union is fighting hard to raise the minimum wage to $10/hr...

I'm sure all of us here know the damage that can do as far as the employment rate goes.

My question is, if I don't join them, will I be the first to go if the minimum wage gets raised and the company has to fire people in order to compensate?

Should I even be that concerned about not being in the union?
I'm not trying to make a career out of working where I do or anything but I do need a steady job for at least a few years.

Also, they haven't pushed me into joining.
They made sure during orientation to stress that it was voluntary.
BUT, they then proceeded to (in my view point) use some pretty harsh scare tactics.
I told them I didn't want to join yet and that I *might* consider it at a later time.

oyarde
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
If I was your employer , I would be more inclined to keep you if you did not join, have they said how much the union dues are going to be ? Which union ? I can probably tell you what your union dues will be used for , since you are here , doubtful you would like that part of it .

Zippyjuan
03-07-2012, 10:20 PM
What are your benefits of being a union member or not? Do you get different pay or benefits like health care or pension?