PDA

View Full Version : The atrocities of Joseph Kony are going viral

Son of Detroit
03-06-2012, 11:00 PM
My facebook is blowing up with people posting this video about Joseph Kony, the leader of the LRA in Uganda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I expect this to be a hot topic in the next few days as more people learn about it. I think it's great that more people are becoming aware of it, but I just hope it doesn't turn into clamoring for an invasion (unfortunately I've already read comments like that on youtube).

dannno
03-06-2012, 11:19 PM
Holy crap I was watching that while you posted it :eek:

hkyhead13
03-06-2012, 11:34 PM
under paul's policy he would not intervene in this though? or am i wrong?

pcosmar
03-06-2012, 11:36 PM

Is it a direct threat to the US?

dannno
03-06-2012, 11:42 PM
Seems like a very noble cause, but I'd like to see some more info and research..

Interesting timing on the release.

dannno
03-06-2012, 11:43 PM

That doesn't mean nothing can be done about it.

Raise money and hire Xe to go in there and take out the bastard.

RonPaulFanInGA
03-06-2012, 11:43 PM

No. The Lord's Resistance Army is a small, nothing army.

Anti Federalist
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM

Pfffft...I'll wager some "black op" run by our intelligence services are backing this man.

hkyhead13
03-06-2012, 11:44 PM

from what i have read and heard it seems like no it is not

Johnny Appleseed
03-06-2012, 11:46 PM
My youngest had me watch it...its political propaganda at its best for ohbombya

dannno
03-06-2012, 11:47 PM
Pfffft...I'll wager some "black op" run by our intelligence services are backing this man.

That's what I was thinking..

They're all like, "he kidnaps kids and rapes them and gives them guns and..."

and I'm all like "uhh... so why don't they shoot him.."

Something is funny here..

Son of Detroit
03-06-2012, 11:50 PM
That's what I was thinking..

They're all like, "he kidnaps kids and rapes them and gives them guns and..."

and I'm all like "uhh... so why don't they shoot him.."

Something is funny here..

That's not something to be suspicious about.

If I was abducted out of my home by scary people when I was 10 years old I would be crying and peeing my pants, not thinking about shooting someone.

Johnny Appleseed
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
this is bigger than ohbombya girl this has sentiment...

dannno
03-06-2012, 11:57 PM
That's one of the things not to be suspicious about.

If I was abducted out of my home by scary people when I was 10 years old I would be crying and peeing my pants, not thinking about shooting someone.

Well it's not impossible, but I'm going to wait this one out a little bit and see if anything surfaces before I go out and get my $30 Kony kit..

Son of Detroit
03-06-2012, 11:59 PM
All of this talk about Kony is making me want a coney dog.

http://www.corporateathletes.com.my/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/coney05.jpg

Mmmmmm.

Hospitaller
03-07-2012, 12:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army

The estimated strength is 500-9000

This seems like a non issue to me only because so many similiar situations exist in the world. Is it bad? yes. Do i have a responsibility to act? no. Unfortunately so many people will have thier emotions manipulated to focus on a situation so far away from home.

Instead of focusing on the crisis in america, the police state, the economy, the welfare state on the brink of bankruptcy here is just another smokescreen.

Don't Tread on Mike
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
well i watched this today about an hour ago and has gone from 40,000 views to 120,000. why cant the ron paul campaign make an inspirational video like this?

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 12:09 AM
from what i have read and heard it seems like no it is not

Then There is no need for the US to declare War there.
However, If you feel you should do something,, pick up a good rifle and hunt Kony down.

I haven't paid much attention to Uganda since the days of Idi Amin.. A true scumbag and about as evil as this guy seems to be,,
He was protected and backed by several governments hiding and protected by Saudi Arabia till his death.
(I would have liked to collect the bounty on him)

What is the price on Kony's head?

Hospitaller
03-07-2012, 12:11 AM
Then There is no need for the US to declare War there.
However, If you feel you should do something,, pick up a good rifle and hunt Kony down.

I haven't paid much attention to Uganda since the days of Idi Amin.. A true scumbag and about as evil as this guy seems to be,,
He was protected and backed by several governments hiding and protected by Saudi Arabia till his death.
(I would have liked to collect the bounty on him)

What is the price on Kony's head?

Funny how a government sactioned killing is OK, a subject you are close to pcosmar? I dont mean to slight you but i do know your history. I am simply making a point about government.

anaconda
03-07-2012, 12:20 AM
I normally assume that atrocities in resource rich areas are CIA instigated unless there is strong evidence to the contrary.

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 12:33 AM
Funny how a government sactioned killing is OK, a subject you are close to pcosmar? I dont mean to slight you but i do know your history. I am simply making a point about government.

The question was "would Ron Paul intervene?"
if it is not a threat to the US, then NO.

But for an individual to follow his conscience, Whether justice or retribution, is up to that individual.

Throwing a little money at it will have little effect on Kony, though it may help some victims.

And though the US would probably not issue Letters of Marque,, some others might.

I have another concern,, and that is with the Global War On Terrorism. This will give reason to focus on Christians as Terrorist.
(i have long said that the Muslim bashing would come back to bite Christians in the butt) This is an excuse.
Better that he be removed from the page.

Yoddle
03-07-2012, 12:36 AM
I'd support the cause if they weren't advocating the government give guns to our kids and send them off to fight... seems very hypocritical if you ask me.

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 12:38 AM
Is there anyone wanting to fund an African hunting adventure?

Czolgosz
03-07-2012, 01:01 AM
So let me get this straight.

Dude in Africa abducts children. Murders, rapes, mames, and militarizes a bunch of kids. The Ugandan Army can't stop him? lolwut

What these activists want is for the U.S. government to deploy troops (err, "advisors") to this place to teach the Ugandan Army how to find a guy in their homeland? lolwut again

What does it take to get a bunch of Humans to *fight* for their freedom?

squarepusher
03-07-2012, 01:10 AM
This video didn't make much sense to me

Andrew Ryan
03-07-2012, 01:26 AM
ugh...

ZENemy
03-07-2012, 01:28 AM
Riiiiiiiiiiight...

Phys Op

giovannile07
03-07-2012, 02:24 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc

Everyone I know keeps posting this on Facebook, I'm watching it right now. What do you guys think?

Yowan
03-07-2012, 02:40 AM
We do have a possible constitutional option to solve this issue. It's called "Letter of Marque and Reprisal "
Article I, Section 8, Clause 11 of the United States Constitution
[Congress shall have Power...] To declare War, grant Letters of Marque and Reprisal, and make Rules concerning Captures on Land and Water.

A "letter of marque and reprisal" would involve permission to cross an international border to effect a reprisal (take some action against an attack or injury) authorized by an issuing jurisdiction to conduct reprisal operations outside its borders.

The U.S. has used this before to capture pirates and Ron Paul suggested this for Bin Laden after September 11th and again in July of 2007.
He also suggested it for use on pirates in 2009.
However, the bills he introduced were not enacted into law and we decided to go to "war".

A War is not needed, but we can resolve this issue and help.

squarepusher
03-07-2012, 02:58 AM
KONA thing seems like a bunch of propaganda

The creators main point is that "KONA" steals children and indoctrinates them, however he himself uses his own son in the video and teaches his son "KONA" is evil, thereby indoctrinating his own son with a political agenda. Seems contradictory.

MooCowzRock
03-07-2012, 03:16 AM
KONA thing seems like a bunch of propaganda

The creators main point is that "KONA" steals children and indoctrinates them, however he himself uses his own son in the video and teaches his son "KONA" is evil, thereby indoctrinating his own son with a political agenda. Seems contradictory.Teaching your kid that a guy that kidnaps children, forces them to murder their parents and other innocent people, brainwashing them to be killers and raping the girls, is a bad person isn't some evil form of indoctrination, it's moral.

3kgt
03-07-2012, 03:17 AM
For christ's sake I hate this shit.
These fads that make everyone pretend they care
I'm going to start deleting people that post it.
Morons.
It's time for bed ffs.

BuddyRey
03-07-2012, 03:27 AM
I'm all for stopping the guy, but NOT by asking the U.S. government to do it. They'll just use it as an opportunity to nation-build in Uganda and occupy it until it saps all their resources.

What these idealistic hipsters should have done is started a chip-in to raise money to fund and equip Ugandan counter-LRA forces to take out this Kony guy with no fuss, no muss, and no literal "act of Congress."

Cutlerzzz
03-07-2012, 03:39 AM
Was I the only one bored out of my mind when he started babling about his kid in the beginning?

bluesc
03-07-2012, 03:44 AM
Probably war propaganda to get young liberals on board, especially judging by the way it is being spread.

Cutlerzzz
03-07-2012, 03:46 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord%27s_Resistance_Army

The estimated strength is 500-9000

This seems like a non issue to me only because so many similiar situations exist in the world. Is it bad? yes. Do i have a responsibility to act? no. Unfortunately so many people will have thier emotions manipulated to focus on a situation so far away from home.

Instead of focusing on the crisis in america, the police state, the economy, the welfare state on the brink of bankruptcy here is just another smokescreen.

If everyone who liked it on youtube sent like 10 dollars to an anti LRA organization, they could probably just buy Uganda. Problem solved.

Demigod
03-07-2012, 03:46 AM
Are the people in the region Kony operates deprived of sense,reason and intelligence to stop him them self's? Do they not have a government and an army?

An old Ak-47 can go as low as 10-50$.Why are they not arming them self's if the government is not helping them.

If someone wants to help them he can start collecting man,money and weapons and then go there to arm the Ugandans and fight with them against Kony.But because 99% of the people chanting in the video would not even set foot in Uganda let alone take weapons and fight for them in some god-forsaken wilderness this movement has no point .

What they want to do is send the "international community" which would be a complete disaster.No politician would risk dead soldiers on TV for Uganda so it would probably be just aircraft and logistical support.Everyone can witness how successful that was in Pakistan.A few "collateral damage " bombing runs and they may even give the mad-man Kony legitimacy before the people which would turn it in a real war.

I was also reading now about his "army" which supposedly has at any time from 500-9000 soldiers.IF the Uganda army can not defeat a 9000 group of man operating on its territory then Uganda is not a country.

slamhead
03-07-2012, 04:16 AM
So let me get this right. This madman kidnaps children and press gangs them into his rebel Army. Now this movement wants our government to send troops into this quagmire where they will most likely be put into the position of killing these same children forced to fight for Kony? I can see the headlines now. US soldiers slaughter African children.

My suggestion would be for this group to take their money and energy and hire Blackwater to fight their noble cause. Better yet, let South Africa deal with this as it is on their continent.

Feeding the Abscess
03-07-2012, 04:28 AM
Hire super badass Chris Kyle, he could probably snipe Kony from somewhere in Kansas.

No, but really, Invisible Children Inc should take all donations and hire Chris Kyle and other mercenaries to take him out. At least Kyle would be doing something useful in the world, rather than murdering women and children in Iraq and training cops to do the same to all of us.

Hospitaller
03-07-2012, 05:00 AM
I'm all for stopping the guy, but NOT by asking the U.S. government to do it. They'll just use it as an opportunity to nation-build in Uganda and occupy it until it saps all their resources.

What these idealistic hipsters should have done is started a chip-in to raise money to fund and equip Ugandan counter-LRA forces to take out this Kony guy with no fuss, no muss, and no literal "act of Congress."

What do these counter-LRA forces do once kony is defeated? my guess, they replace the old tyranny with a new. You need to attack the root of the problem not the face of it.

giovannile07
03-07-2012, 05:04 AM
I think if we use our U.S. military to do this, it just won't end well... It is definitely not the way to do this.

svobody
03-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Dear god what an absurd piece of garbage propaganda. Self righteous hipsters fighting a warlord - why don't these schmucks pick up an AK, and go out there and stop him themselves? Oh, that's right, they'd rather make edgy videos and lobby the government to send our soldiers to go die fighting some two bit African warlord in a godforsaken backwater that has no relevance to US security interests whatsoever. Raise some money, hire mercenaries, have him killed. Or, form your own volunteer brigade, buy a bunch of weapons in Uganda and go take him out. But don't waste my tax money or friends lives.

Demigod
03-07-2012, 05:31 AM
What do these counter-LRA forces do once kony is defeated? my guess, they replace the old tyranny with a new. You need to attack the root of the problem not the face of it.

This is completely normal.The one who defeats your master is your new master unless you have no value to him so he lets you go probably to be enslaved by someone else.The only way out of slavery is if you defeat your master your self and by doing so become your own master

giovannile07
03-07-2012, 05:37 AM
Am I the only one who thinks that they're basically going to start a second War in the Middle East in Africa? These people are not an arranged military, they are like the terrorists in the Middle East or guerrillas in Vietnam... We might end up killing innocent people because how are we to know who is part of the LRA and who isn't? How are we suppose to know where they are? If anything we might kill Kony, but will we actually end the LRA?

squarepusher
03-07-2012, 05:41 AM
Was I the only one bored out of my mind when he started babling about his kid in the beginning?

lold and yes

Dear god what an absurd piece of garbage propaganda. Self righteous hipsters fighting a warlord - why don't these schmucks pick up an AK, and go out there and stop him themselves? Oh, that's right, they'd rather make edgy videos and lobby the government to send our soldiers to go die fighting some two bit African warlord in a godforsaken backwater that has no relevance to US security interests whatsoever. Raise some money, hire mercenaries, have him killed. Or, form your own volunteer brigade, buy a bunch of weapons in Uganda and go take him out. But don't waste my tax money or friends lives.

couldn't agree more!

turns out INvisible Children and Kony are a scam, well basically

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/
http://theeducatedfieldnegro.tumblr.com/post/18894846735/we-got-trouble

giovannile07
03-07-2012, 06:19 AM
lold and yes

couldn't agree more!

turns out INvisible Children and Kony are a scam, well basically

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/
http://theeducatedfieldnegro.tumblr.com/post/18894846735/we-got-trouble
A scam, I don't know about that, but here. my friend posted this...

"You do not need to ask my permission to share this. Please link it widely. For those asking what you can do to help, please link to visiblechildren(dot)tumblr(dot)com wherever you see KONY 2012 posts.

I do not doubt for a second that those involved in KONY 2012 have great intentions, nor do I doubt for a second that Joseph Kony is a very evil man. But despite this, I’m strongly opposed to the KONY 2012 campaign.

KONY 2012 is the product of a group called Invisible Children, a controversial activist group and not-for-profit. They’ve released 11 films, most with an accompanying bracelet colour (KONY 2012 is fittingly red), all of which focus on Joseph Kony. When we buy merch from them, when we link to their video, when we put up posters linking to their website, we support the organization. I don’t think that’s a good thing, and I’m not alone.

Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 31% went to their charity program (page 6)*. This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that.

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money funds the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission.

Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on funding African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking. Which can be great, except that Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.” He’s certainly evil, but exaggeration and manipulation to capture the public eye is unproductive, unprofessional and dishonest.

As Christ Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”

Still, Kony’s a bad guy, and he’s been around a while. Which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter. The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation. And yet Invisible Children funds this military intervention. Kony has been involved in peace talks in the past, which have fallen through. But Invisible Children is now focusing on military intervention.

Military intervention may or may not be the right idea, but people supporting KONY 2012 probably don’t realize they’re helping fund the Ugandan military who are themselves raping and looting away. If people know this and still support Invisible Children because they feel it’s the best solution based on their knowledge and research, I have no issue with that. But I don’t think most people are in that position, and that’s a problem.

Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow. Giving your money and public support to Invisible Children so they can spend it on funding ill-advised violent intervention and movie #12 isn’t helping. Do I have a better answer? No, I don’t, but that doesn’t mean that you should support KONY 2012 just because it’s something. Something isn’t always better than nothing. Sometimes it’s worse.

If you want to write to your Member of Parliament or your Senator or the President or the Prime Minister, by all means, go ahead. If you want to post about Joseph Kony’s crimes on Facebook, go ahead. But let’s keep it about Joseph Kony, not KONY 2012.

~ Grant Oyston, visiblechildren@grantoyston.com

Grant Oyston is a sociology and political science student at Acadia University in Nova Scotia, Canada. You can help spread the word about this by linking to his blog at visiblechildren(dot)tumblr(dot)com anywhere you see posts about KONY 2012.

*For context, 31% is bad. By contrast, Direct Relief reports 98.8% of its funding goes to programming. American Red Cross reports 92.1% to programming. UNICEF USA is at 90.3%. Invisible Children reports that 80.5% of their funding goes to programming, while I report 31% based on their FY11 fiscal reports, because other NGOs would count film-making as fundraising expenses, not programming expenses."

Nirvikalpa
03-07-2012, 09:33 AM
A scam, I don't know about that, but here. my friend posted this...

You can tell your friend that his statement is making it's course all over social networking sites. Majority of my followers (mostly anarchist or libertarian, although I do have socialist/communist followers as well) have been spreading this like wildfire. Brilliant write up.

klamath
03-07-2012, 09:41 AM
So let me get this straight.

Dude in Africa abducts children. Murders, rapes, mames, and militarizes a bunch of kids. The Ugandan Army can't stop him? lolwut

What these activists want is for the U.S. government to deploy troops (err, "advisors") to this place to teach the Ugandan Army how to find a guy in their homeland? lolwut again

What does it take to get a bunch of Humans to *fight* for their freedom?Already done.
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=us%20troops%20uganda&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCYQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fabcnews.go.com%2Fblogs%2Fpolitics %2F2011%2F10%2Fobama-sends-100-us-troops-to-uganda-to-combat-lords-resistance-army%2F&ei=NIFXT8rwCvPXiALo28jQCw&usg=AFQjCNEjew0IAmGKkyP0rrv1ksVqwrjFhA

They want more.

ctiger2
03-07-2012, 10:39 AM

No, you're correct. However, if the citizens of the United States feel this is a threat to national security then they would inform the congress, congress would assess the situation and then formally declare a war. Then president Paul as commander-in-chief would carry out the orders as directed by the people thru the congress. Is it really that hard for people to understand this chain of command?

oyarde
03-07-2012, 11:15 AM
There are over 100 US Army Special Forces troops on the ground , spread over four African Countries , for about six months involved with the Army there searching for the LRA.Which is BS , they need to fix own problem.

jmdrake
03-07-2012, 11:24 AM
My facebook is blowing up with people posting this video about Joseph Kony, the leader of the LRA in Uganda.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4MnpzG5Sqc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I expect this to be a hot topic in the next few days as more people learn about it. I think it's great that more people are becoming aware of it, but I just hope it doesn't turn into clamoring for an invasion (unfortunately I've already read comments like that on youtube).

Calling for an invasion? We already invaded.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2011/10/obama-sends-100-us-troops-to-uganda-to-combat-lords-resistance-army/

And the NDAA that recently past (the one with optional detention for U.S. citizens and mandatory detention for everyone else) included more money for Africa operations including Uganda.

The fact is that without strict gun control the people of Northern Uganda could defend themselves. They're doing okay with just bows and arrows. (See: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?323037-quot-Arrow-boys-quot-in-Uganda-fend-off-machine-gun-toting-LRA-rebel-thugs.&highlight=arrow+uganda)

oyarde
03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
Yep , want to do something ? figure out a way to give one of those kids with a bow a rifle .

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 11:27 AM
There are over 100 US Army Special Forces troops on the ground , spread over four African Countries , for about six months involved with the Army there searching for the LRA.Which is BS , they need to fix own problem.

This^^
plus the past history of that area leads me to believe that much more is going on than is readily apparent.

oyarde
03-07-2012, 11:28 AM
This^^
plus the past history of that area leads me to believe that much more is going on than is readily apparent. Past history is not good .

roderik
03-07-2012, 11:33 AM

Paul stated repeatedly that reactivation of the Letter of Marque (mark of reprisal) is the most appropriate way to deal
with things like this. And i, for one, completely agree with him on that matter.

jmdrake
03-07-2012, 11:33 AM
Shocking thought. The whole idea of the "Kony 2012" project is to make this video go viral. By posting it hear at RPF, viewing it so we can comment on it etc are we not helping statists reach their goal? Seriously, sometimes we are our own worst enemies. I'm not saying this to bash the OP. I've posted garbage here before to show "Look how stupid blogger X is" when all I'm doing is giving blogger X exactly what he wants...more traffic. We claim we "own the internet". That's not true. We use the internet....and sometimes we get used by people more savvy then us. Even "breaking the link" is only a partial fix, because every time someone copies and fixes the link in order to view the website they are giving that site traffic.

Here's an idea.

1) Everybody in the Ron Paul internet movement needs to be a blogger.
2) When you see something you disagree with, write a blog post or make your own opposition video.
3) Post a link to your blog post and/or opposition video.

Then when people on Ron Paul websites click on the link to learn about the subject they aren't giving more traffic to our enemies but rather to a fellow supporter. That's really an idea who's time has come.

jmdrake
03-07-2012, 11:41 AM
Paul stated repeatedly that reactivation of the Letter of Marque (mark of reprisal) is the most appropriate way to deal
with things like this. And i, for one, completely agree with him on that matter.

Not sure how that applies. The Letter of Marque was used by a sovereign state to give legal cover to citizens of its nation to attack ships of another nation who were attacking it. Basically it was legal piracy. Spain is attacking you and you don't have a real Navy? Give Sir Francis Drake Letters of Marque to attack Spanish Galleons and if he gets caught he's supposed to be treated as a prisoner of war instead of as a pirate and hung. If he captures a Spanish ship filled with gold, he gets to keep the gold so you don't have to pay him. Make no mistake about it, Letters of Marque were acts of war. It makes sense in the Somali piracy scenario (kinda) since they are pirates and have attacked U.S. ships, even though they aren't state actors. But in the Uganda sense? I'm sure if mercenaries can get permission from the Ugandan government to fight Joseph Koney they can do that without a Letter of Marque. And if they don't have permission of the Ugandan government what good does a Letter of Marque do them?

roderik
03-07-2012, 11:47 AM
A "letter of marque and reprisal" would involve permission to cross an international border to effect a reprisal (take some action against an attack or injury) authorized by an issuing jurisdiction to conduct reprisal operations outside its borders.

I think it applies when properly authorized.
Sure, no american citizens got hurt, but i doubt it's morally good to ignore the abduction, enslavement and killing of 40.000 children or more.
And without getting involved in a war-like manner (aka send in drones and/or boots), with the proper authoriy an instrument along the lines of a Letter of Marquee would be an appropriate way to deal with it. At least in my book.

Not THE Letter of Marquee, but rather a modern version of it.
And since the target objective is to capture an internationally recognized criminal (like bin laden), i think the issuing jurisdiction
could be anyone, not just Uganda.

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 11:50 AM

Sure, no american citizens got hurt, but i doubt it's morally good to ignore the abduction, enslavement and killing of 40.000 children or more.
And without getting involved in a war-like manner (aka send in drones and/or boots), with the proper authoriy an instrument along the lines of a Letter of Marquee would be an appropriate way to deal with it. At least in my book.

And since the target objective is to capture an internationally recognized criminal (like bin laden), i think the issuing jurisdiction

Letters of Marque don't work that way.

jmdrake
03-07-2012, 11:58 AM

Letters of Marque don't work that way.

^What pcosmar said. But to expound a bit, let's say for arguments sake the "modern" L.O.M. did work that way. Then what? So Blackwater (excuse me "XSE") comes to the Obama/Romney (same diff) administration asking for "permission" to go into Uganda and kick Koney's butt. And then what? Say if Uganda says "Thanks but no thanks. We're handling Koney." Does XSE still have "permission" to go into Uganda? And what is the result of that "permission"? And if they do really have permission, then why can't they have permission to go into North Korea and take out their launch facilities? Now, say if the Ugandan government is like "Sure XSE! We could use the help!" Do they (XSE) really need "permission" from the U.S. government for the operation? And if hiring mercs is the "silver bullet" then did Obama "solve" or Iraq problem by replacing soldiers on the ground in Iraq with mercs?

xkrazy201x
03-07-2012, 12:02 PM
I've been reading these forums for a couple days now, now that I'm aware of what's really happening in the world. Admittedly, I was sucked into the Kony 2012 campaign. However, when further researching this I have found some interesting articles and websites that people need to consider.

1. Charity Navigator - Invisible Children: 2/4 stars for accountability and visibility. Amazingly, the Invisible Children are somewhat invisible in their accountability.
http://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=12429

2. Charity Navigator - Invisible Children's CEO and co-founders each get paid $80,000.00 or more in 2011. To put this into perspective, they get paid more than a college graduate who completed an electrical engineering degree.

3. Better Business Bureau raises concerns about information not provided.
http://www.bbb.org/charity-reviews/national/children-and-youth/invisible-children-in-san-diego-ca-4469

4. Operation Lightning Thunder - We've been in Uganda for over 4 years, yet we can't find 500-1000 LRA soldiers?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lightning_Thunder

5. Use wikipedia to see the criticisms, from which I have posted above. This "movenment", which has gone from 0 views to 4 million views in over 2 days, smells extremely fishy.

Son of Detroit
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m0i79sV7iW1qb6zzuo1_400.jpg

http://www.google.co.in/url?source=imgres&ct=img&q=http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/250x250/15753538.jpg&sa=X&ei=yT9XT9WwHIfsrAfnmNWKDA&ved=0CAQQ8wc4EA&usg=AFQjCNGEWXv9mbZzvF_sc6lASlgDjM7M0Q

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/422788_10150601626262087_744747086_9279346_6828712 44_n.jpg

http://i1073.photobucket.com/albums/w396/iadamson/kony6.jpg

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/263/936/ca0.jpg

bolil
03-07-2012, 12:59 PM
Let me tell you what: If America was what it should be, a free society, than there would be nothing to keep myself and likeminded people from going over Executive Outcomes style.

ForLiberty2012
03-07-2012, 01:11 PM
Some of you people make me fucking sick. I don't support the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq etc etc because we kill more innocent than we do good for the area. And the only reason terrorists hate us is because of that fact. This is a good cause. There's human suffering on the other side of the world and you assholes are calling this propaganda? People didn't care because they either weren't aware of it or didn't know what to do about it. Now you have a chance to do something. So shut up and do something... don't discredit a good cause because of some dumb opinion you have about propaganda or we should "Stick to principle". No wonder people call libertarians and paultards immoral. If this was our foreign policy, I'd still be in the military... We do have a moral authority when there is human suffering because we have the capability to stop it in cases like this.

I'd gladly take up arms to protect innocent children that are literally crying out for help and finally have a voice.

bluesc
03-07-2012, 01:14 PM
Some of you people make me fucking sick. I don't support the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq etc etc because we kill more innocent than we do good for the area. And the only reason terrorists hate us is because of that fact. This is a good cause. There's human suffering on the other side of the world and you assholes are calling this propaganda? People didn't care because they either weren't aware of it or didn't know what to do about it. Now you have a chance to do something. So shut up and do something... don't discredit a good cause because of some dumb opinion you have about propaganda or we should "Stick to principle". No wonder people call libertarians and paultards immoral. If this was our foreign policy, I'd still be in the military... We do have a moral authority when there is human suffering because we have the capability to stop it in cases like this.

I'd gladly take up arms to protect innocent children that are literally crying out for help and finally have a voice.

This group is calling for people to support a government (Uganda) that is more oppressive than the men they are hunting.

Blindly supporting these causes can get a lot of people killed.

dannno
03-07-2012, 01:21 PM

I want to help as well, but I waited for more info because when I watched the video it *felt* like propaganda.

Here's more info:

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

Very complex situation. I'm not against helping them, but I don't know if supporting that organization is the answer.

jmdrake
03-07-2012, 01:23 PM

What's stopping you? Do you need us to make a chipin for you to buy a plane ticket? Also what part of the U.S. has already sent special forces troops to Uganda and the budget for this is increasing and we are being drug into another war do you NOT understand? Are you aware that this so called humanitarian "Obama doctrine" caused us to team up with Al Qaeda in Libya to overthrow Khaddafi? Yes Koney is scum. So was Saddam Hussein.

What's going on is the beginning of the recolonization of Africa in order to go for the resources. And because we have a black president everyone will think it's on the up and up. Koney's army can't beat kids armed with bows and arrows! (Seriously, they can't).

soulcyon
03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Interesting timing on the release.Smells like media propaganda.

Wouldn't be surprised if CNN/Faux start to talk about this "viral video".

3kgt
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM
Also the video is pure propaganda. True "research" is looking extensively at both sides or possibly more than 2 sides of a conflict and deciding for yourself what is really going on.

Oh I'm sorry, did I just imply that people should think? I'm sorry silly me I'll quit the internet

Edit: sorry to the above poster, didn't mean to steal your buzzword I left the editor open for a while before posting

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 01:27 PM

Then DO SO.
But don't ask others to kill for you. Pick up a gun and go.

kah13176
03-07-2012, 01:29 PM
I watched most of the video. Let's not forget that they begged the government to send the military (I.e. someone else's kid) off to die in a boondoggle.

Also, these same people didn't/don't stop buying diamonds when it was well-known that they did (and still do) fund conflict in Angola, DRC, and Liberia.

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 01:31 PM

I like this one..
I had Idi Amin's wanted poster on my wall for some time (years ago)
That evil bastard had a lot of high level protection.

Chieppa1
03-07-2012, 01:38 PM
Any research of the organization that made the video shows how bad of an idea this is in practice.

Great blog post with links on the subject. (http://a-petro-manifesto.tumblr.com/post/18906791274/kony-2012-bandwagon-politics-and-why-you-should-not)

The IC supports the Ugandan army, which of course rapes and murders at will. Its just the newest "armchair activist" exercise. Like "change your FB profile picture to stop child abuse".

This is a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons with the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. (SPLA)

The SPLA is a rebel faction vying for power in Sudan. They have even used child soldiers in their own ranks in past years. What a peace loving, fair and humanitarian organization.

Post from an African activist. (http://innovateafrica.tumblr.com/)

ForLiberty2012
03-07-2012, 01:42 PM
Then DO SO.

Yeah... since it's THAT easy.

kah13176
03-07-2012, 01:47 PM

I like this one..
I had Idi Amin's wanted poster on my wall for some time (years ago)
That evil bastard had a lot of high level protection.

Exactly. I used to talk about boycotting diamonds as De Beers has a monopoly over the diamond trade and keeps prices high by keeping their supply on the market artificially low. Because of this, rebel armies in conflict zones make a lot of money off the diamonds they mine using forced labor.

Whenever I bring up the idea of not buying diamonds, people just blink at me. Of course, if it's inconvenient, they won't do it, just like they won't go to war over there, but they lobby the government to send someone else.

Tina
03-07-2012, 01:52 PM

+rep exactly!

flightlesskiwi
03-07-2012, 01:56 PM
there was a thread about this back in the fall.

This^^
plus the past history of that area leads me to believe that much more is going on than is readily apparent.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/world/africa/uganda-welcomes-oil-but-fears-graft-it-attracts.html

Uganda’s Oil Could Be Gift That Becomes a Curse

the expected revenue of up to $2 billion a year could propel Uganda

AFRICOM (but only east Africa)... get some.

dannno
03-07-2012, 02:00 PM
there was a thread about this back in the fall.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/26/world/africa/uganda-welcomes-oil-but-fears-graft-it-attracts.html

Uganda’s Oil Could Be Gift That Becomes a Curse

AFRICOM (but only east Africa)... get some.

+rep

Wouldn't be surprised if Invisible Children was funded by the oil cartels to get people to fund the corrupt Ugandan army/regime.

ravedown
03-07-2012, 02:23 PM
when i saw that the 'activist' was playing a major part in his own video as well as his son...the red flags went up-when he said he went and lobbied politicians in washington- it was all i needed to see. ugh. it def doesn't pass the smell test, but it's gonna be a hit on the college campuses. big $$$.

HOLLYWOOD
03-07-2012, 02:27 PM
AL Gore Jr lobbyist being used as a tool for Uganda Black Gold... the kind that fills tanks and pockets.

jmdrake
03-07-2012, 03:12 PM
Then DO SO.

Yeah... since it's THAT easy.

Seriously if you want to go I'll chip in. Have you started researching ticket prices to Africa? And you don't need a gun. Koney is being held at bay by children with bows and arrows. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?323037-quot-Arrow-boys-quot-in-Uganda-fend-off-machine-gun-toting-LRA-rebel-thugs.) They may be invisible, but their weapons are effective. (They must be ninjas).

Matthew5
03-07-2012, 03:29 PM
So make some flashy posters and cool wristbands and teens want to be involved. Why can't they get this excited about their own country? Why not help the kids who are hurting here? Why not advance the causes of liberty?

bluesc
03-07-2012, 03:34 PM
Found this pretty good:

http://i.imgur.com/K3mgn.jpg

bluesc
03-07-2012, 03:37 PM
Oh, and in case you're wondering, those hipsters posing with guns with the rapists and murderers of the Ugandan army are the people behind this bullshit documentary and movement to invade Africa for "peace".

Gravik
03-07-2012, 03:42 PM
well i watched this today about an hour ago and has gone from 40,000 views to 120,000. why cant the ron paul campaign make an inspirational video like this?
Well, the EndorseLiberty PAC video is pretty inspiring:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vF3K2JvFcJA

specsaregood
03-07-2012, 03:43 PM
Found this pretty good:

ladies and gentlemen, we have a winner.

giovannile07
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
You can tell your friend that his statement is making it's course all over social networking sites. Majority of my followers (mostly anarchist or libertarian, although I do have socialist/communist followers as well) have been spreading this like wildfire. Brilliant write up.
Haha lulz, I didn't mean my friend wrote it, but he shared it with me on Facebook haha. Sorry didn't mean to mislead you.

giovannile07
03-07-2012, 03:51 PM
Response from one of the founders of Invisible Children:

This is my own personal, response and does not reflect the views of any person or any organization besides myself.

http://visiblechildren.tumblr.com/

The above link. It is being posted as a response to KONY 2012. And so I would like to respond to it. This is my own personal, response and does not necessarily reflect the views of IC.

I believe dialogue is extremely important and so I invite everyone to bring your concerns, comments, or compliments here and I will address them as best I can.

"Visible Children: Viewed Critically"

I will try to keep this succinct an address each point one at a time. Let me know if I miss any.

1) The article links multiple times to this Foreign Affairs piece: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136673/mareike-schomerus-tim-allen-and-koen-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra?page=show -

This piece has many inaccuracies that are addressed here: http://www.theresolve.org/blog/archives/3071031127

X

2) "Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services (page 6), with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production."

This is a gross misrepresentation of how Invisible Chilren uses their financials. Invisible Children’s financial statements are online for everyone to see. Financial statements from the last 5 years, including our 990, are available at www.invisiblechildren.com/financials. The organization only spent 16.24% on administration and management costs in FY2011.

X

3) "This is far from ideal, and Charity Navigator rates their accountability 2/4 stars because they haven’t had their finances externally audited. But it goes way deeper than that."

Charity Navigator gives Invisible Children's programs its highest rating of 4 stars. IC's Accountability and Transparency score is currently at 2 stars due to the fact that they currently does not have 5 independent voting members on our board of directors--theycurrently have 4. IC is in the process of interviewing potential board members, and their goal is to add an additional independent member this year in order to regain our 4-star rating by 2013.

X

4) "The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”"

Not to put to a fine a point on this, but... BS. At least for the part where they claim Invisible Children supports the UPDF and SPLA. IC never have supported the UPDF or SPLA with money and they do not hide their obvious human rights abuses. The UPDF IS the best equipped group even though they do not operate in Uganda anymore. Anyone who argues otherwise does not understand how ineffective the SPLA (S. Sudan military), FACA (Central African Republic Military), and FARDC (Congolese military) are.

IC does not defend any of the human rights abuses perpetrated by the Ugandan government or the Ugandan army. None of the money donated through Invisible Children ever goes to the government of Uganda. Yet the only feasible and proper way to stop Kony and protect the civilians he targets is to coordinate efforts with regional governments.

X

5) "Still, the bulk of Invisible Children’s spending isn’t on supporting African militias, but on awareness and filmmaking. Which can be great, except that Foreign Affairs has claimed that Invisible Children (among others) “manipulates facts for strategic purposes, exaggerating the scale of LRA abductions and murders and emphasizing the LRA’s use of innocent children as soldiers, and portraying Kony — a brutal man, to be sure — as uniquely awful, a Kurtz-like embodiment of evil.”"

See above points about how IC does NOT support African militias and the irony of the FA piece accusing us of manipulating facts.

X

6)" As Chris Blattman, a political scientist at Yale, writes on the topic of IC’s programming, “There’s also something inherently misleading, naive, maybe even dangerous, about the idea of rescuing children or saving of Africa. […] It hints uncomfortably of the White Man’s Burden. Worse, sometimes it does more than hint. The savior attitude is pervasive in advocacy, and it inevitably shapes programming. Usually misconceived programming.”"

Our programs are Ugandan inspired and Ugandan led. As in they were created by Ugandans for Ugandans. Nobody is more aware of the dangers of the "White Man's Burder" messiah complex than Invisible Children. Our programs actively seek to empower Ugandans to help themselves. Every. Single. Program. that IC starts is based on the advice of those who live in the communities and who came before us and know a lot about said particular projects. The only saviors here are the Ugandan people themselves. And soon to the Central African, Congolese, and South Sudanese people once the LRA is removed from their homelands.

X

7)"Still, Kony’s a bad guy, and he’s been around a while. Which is why the US has been involved in stopping him for years. U.S. Africa Command (AFRICOM) has sent multiple missions to capture or kill Kony over the years. And they’ve failed time and time again, each provoking a ferocious response and increased retaliative slaughter."

This has been taken into account and IC, Resolve, Enough and many other organizations have written extensive reports expressiong the important of protecting civilians. The military interventions did not slaughter the civilians, the LRA did. If the civilians were adequately protected by military forces, these slaughters would not have happened.

X

8) "The issue with taking out a man who uses a child army is that his bodyguards are children. Any effort to capture or kill him will almost certainly result in many children’s deaths, an impact that needs to be minimized as much as possible. Each attempt brings more retaliation. And yet Invisible Children supports military intervention. Kony has been involved in peace talks in the past, which have fallen through. But Invisible Children is now focusing on military intervention."

A very valid point. I would love to hear suggestions from the author on how they would stop Kony. The fact of the matter is that peace talks have failed six times and every time Kony uses the lull in fighting as a chance to rebuilding his forces and abduct and kill more people. So what is better? Another peace talk so this fight can drag on, or militarily ending this thing once and for all? Nobody wants violent solution. We all prefer peace. But what happens when peace talks fail repeatedly? What happens when peace talks actually exacerbate the problem?

X

9) "Is awareness good? Yes. But these problems are highly complex, not one-dimensional and, frankly, aren’t of the nature that can be solved by postering, film-making and changing your Facebook profile picture, as hard as that is to swallow."

IC is not naive. They understand the complexities of this situation. The author fails to understand to power of public opinion and social media. His loss.

X

That's all I got, my friends. Please re share this or reply to it. I would love to start a dialogue on this.

Much love,

John "Pockets" Beaton
Twitter - @Johrune

squarepusher
03-07-2012, 04:20 PM
MY LITTLE KONY: RON PAUL IS MAGIC THREAD

My Little Kony, My Little Kony Ahh ahh ahh ahhh… (My Little Kony) I used to wonder what childsoldiering could be (My Little Kony) Until you all shared its magic with me Big adventure Tons of fun A brutal heart Faithful and strong Sharing madness, It's an easy feat And magic rapes it all complete You have my little Konies Do you know you're all my very best friends?

http://i.imgur.com/BX9i0.jpg

Feeding the Abscess
03-07-2012, 04:56 PM
No, you're correct. However, if the citizens of the United States feel this is a threat to national security then they would inform the congress, congress would assess the situation and then formally declare a war. Then president Paul as commander-in-chief would carry out the orders as directed by the people thru the congress. Is it really that hard for people to understand this chain of command?

No. No. NO.

Ron Paul's foreign policy is NOT strictly a constitutional one. Removing context from his constitutional stance leads to tyrannical applications such as this.

Vegas Brian
03-07-2012, 06:59 PM
^What pcosmar said. But to expound a bit, let's say for arguments sake the "modern" L.O.M. did work that way. Then what? So Blackwater (excuse me "XSE") comes to the Obama/Romney (same diff) administration asking for "permission" to go into Uganda and kick Koney's butt. And then what? Say if Uganda says "Thanks but no thanks. We're handling Koney." Does XSE still have "permission" to go into Uganda? And what is the result of that "permission"? And if they do really have permission, then why can't they have permission to go into North Korea and take out their launch facilities? Now, say if the Ugandan government is like "Sure XSE! We could use the help!" Do they (XSE) really need "permission" from the U.S. government for the operation? And if hiring mercs is the "silver bullet" then did Obama "solve" or Iraq problem by replacing soldiers on the ground in Iraq with mercs?

I actually do think you are onto something here. Why not have people continue to donate to the organization, who would use that money to hire XSE? And as you say, if Uganda is happy to have them, then great; and since the organization has workers from Uganda as well as an office there, they would be responsible. The Government would stay completely out of this, and it would be paid by the people who want to see a change in Uganda.

dannno
03-07-2012, 07:12 PM
I actually do think you are onto something here. Why not have people continue to donate to the organization, who would use that money to hire XSE? And as you say, if Uganda is happy to have them, then great; and since the organization has workers from Uganda as well as an office there, they would be responsible. The Government would stay completely out of this, and it would be paid by the people who want to see a change in Uganda.

Hire XSE?? Lol, jmdrake must have been joking :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier%27s_Security_Enforcers

But ya, they were called "Xe" but they are called "Academi" now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

aaroche26
03-07-2012, 07:14 PM
AA

The Gold Standard
03-07-2012, 07:44 PM
Why don't we draft every adult U.S. citizen into the military and invade and occupy the whole world? Surely we will eradicate all evil on planet Earth.

Cowlesy
03-07-2012, 07:50 PM
Why don't we draft every adult U.S. citizen into the military and invade and occupy the whole world? Surely we will eradicate all evil on planet Earth.

Hmm, go on...I'm listening...

jdmyprez_deo_vindice
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM

Just for the sake of clarity, this user requested to be banned from the forums because he "no longer wished to be associated with the people of this place".

GeorgiaAvenger
03-07-2012, 07:55 PM
Why don't people simply hire a private army to take him out?

Danke
03-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Good Idea.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWULz8i9a_A

abruzz0
03-07-2012, 08:04 PM

Better plan on getting there with a boat, cuz TSA wouldn't let you through with an attitude like that, mister!

Czolgosz
03-07-2012, 08:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dv0kImk3LXE

I wish white guys could look so fly in a coat like that :(

BlackTerrel
03-07-2012, 08:56 PM
This is all over my facebook as well.

My worry is what we always worry about in these situations. If he goes down what's to say what comes next won't be just as bad or worse.

aaroche26
03-07-2012, 09:26 PM
AA

TIMB0B
03-07-2012, 09:51 PM
Anyone else think this video looks just a little too well done? It's straight up propaganda in support of obama.

TIMB0B
03-07-2012, 09:54 PM
Quote from youtube:

You now realise that invisible children spent more money on their campaign than actually helping the people.
Invisible Children has been condemned time and time again. As a registered not-for-profit, its finances are public. Last year, the organization spent $8,676,614. Only 32% went to direct services , with much of the rest going to staff salaries, travel and transport, and film production

easycougar
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
MY LITTLE KONY: RON PAUL IS MAGIC THREAD

My Little Kony, My Little Kony Ahh ahh ahh ahhh… (My Little Kony) I used to wonder what childsoldiering could be (My Little Kony) Until you all shared its magic with me Big adventure Tons of fun A brutal heart Faithful and strong Sharing madness, It's an easy feat And magic rapes it all complete You have my little Konies Do you know you're all my very best friends?

OMFG LOL! From the father of a 4 year old girl that hears this song every day, thank you.

aaroche26
03-07-2012, 11:06 PM
AA

flightlesskiwi
03-08-2012, 09:13 AM
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111s1067enr/pdf/BILLS-111s1067enr.pdf

Section 3, paragraph 1.

but, really, do read the whole bill.

you're already "donating" to the people of Uganda via this bill-- well, actually, our children and grandchildren are by means of 16 trillion dollars (and growing) of debt and our currency being severely devalued.

Lucille
03-08-2012, 09:42 AM
My question is, why now? This has been going on for years and, not for nothing but, O Duce actually signed waivers to block foreign welfare (http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Foreign-Policy/2010/1029/Obama-waives-sanctions-for-four-countries-that-use-child-soldiers) to other countries that use child soldiers.

KMX
03-08-2012, 09:48 AM
We need to help ourselves before we can help someone else.

Cowlesy
03-08-2012, 09:54 AM
So what happens after you kill Kony, is Uganda going to turn into France? Or is some other tin pot cult-of-personality type going to take over? Please....

HOLLYWOOD
03-08-2012, 09:55 AM
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-111s1067enr/pdf/BILLS-111s1067enr.pdf

Section 3, paragraph 1.

but, really, do read the whole bill.

you're already "donating" to the people of Uganda via this bill-- well, actually, our children and grandchildren are by means of 16 trillion dollars (and growing) of debt and our currency being severely devalued.Hah, this is more than $10 Million a Year, just on the US administration costs alone, so expect this to skyrocket. Nice loophole for the executive branch to spend as they deem appropriate on top of the initial... plus we know the Oil/Fossil fuel energy motives, but this is downright ridiculous with all the unemployed, homeless, poverty, in this country. This smells for big Maxine Waters publicity stunt, let's see how much she steals from the future generations.

STRATEGY.—Not later than 180 days
after the date of the enactment of this Act, the President shall
develop and submit to the appropriate committees of Congress
a strategy to guide future United States support across the region
for viable multilateral efforts to mitigate and eliminate the threat
to civilians and regional stability posed by the Lord’s Resistance
Army.
(b) CONTENT OF STRATEGY.—The strategy shall include the
following:
(1) A plan to help strengthen efforts by the United Nations
and regional governments to protect civilians from attacks by
the Lord’s Resistance Army while supporting the development
of institutions in affected areas that can help to maintain
the rule of law and prevent conflict in the long term.
(2) An assessment of viable options through which the
United States, working with regional governments, could help
develop and support multilateral efforts to eliminate the threat
posed by the Lord’s Resistance Army.
(3) An interagency framework to plan, coordinate, and
review diplomatic, economic, intelligence, and military elements
of United States policy across the region regarding the Lord’s
Resistance Army.
(4) A description of the type and form of diplomatic engagement
across the region undertaken to coordinate and implement
United States policy regarding the Lord’s Resistance Army
and to work multilaterally with regional mechanisms, including
the Tripartite Plus Commission and the Great Lakes Pact.

(5) A description of how this engagement will fit within
the context of broader efforts and policy objectives in the Great
Lakes Region.

(c) FORM.—The strategy under this section shall be submitted
in unclassified form, but may include a classified annex.

SEC. 5. HUMANITARIAN ASSISTANCE FOR AREAS OUTSIDE UGANDA
AFFECTED BY THE LORD’S RESISTANCE ARMY.

In accordance with section 491 of the Foreign Assistance Act
of 1961 (22 U.S.C. 2292) and section 2 of the Migration and Refugee
Assistance Act of 1962 (22 U.S.C. 2601), the President is authorized
to provide additional assistance to the Democratic Republic of
Congo, southern Sudan, and Central African Republic to respond
to the humanitarian needs of populations directly affected by the
activity of the Lord’s Resistance Army.

SEC. 6. ASSISTANCE FOR RECOVERY AND RECONSTRUCTION IN
NORTHERN UGANDA.
(a) AUTHORITY.—It is the sense of Congress that the President
should support efforts by the people of northern Uganda

(1) to assist internally displaced people in transition and
returnees to secure durable solutions by spurring economic
revitalization, supporting livelihoods, helping to alleviate poverty,
and advancing access to basic services at return sites,
specifically clean water, health care, and schools;
(2) to enhance the accountability and administrative competency
of local governance institutions and public agencies
S. 1067—4
in northern Uganda with regard to budget management, provision
of public goods and services, and related oversight functions;

(3) to strengthen the operational capacity of the civilian
police in northern Uganda to enhance public safety, prevent
crime, and deal sensitively with gender-based violence, while
strengthening accountability measures to prevent corruption
and abuses;
(4) to rebuild and improve the capacity of the justice system
in northern Uganda, including the courts and penal systems,
with particular sensitivity to the needs and rights of women
and children;
(5) to establish mechanisms for the disarmament, demobilization,
and reintegration of former combatants and those
abducted by the LRA, including vocational education and
employment opportunities, with attention given to the roles
and needs of men, women and children; and
(6) to promote programs to address psychosocial trauma,
particularly post-traumatic stress disorder.

(b) FUTURE YEAR FUNDING.—It is the sense of Congress that
the Secretary of State and Administrator of the United States
Agency for International Development should work with the appropriate
committees of Congress to increase assistance in future fiscal
years to support activities described in this section if the Government
of Uganda demonstrates a commitment to transparent and
accountable reconstruction in war-affected areas of northern

CaptainAmerica
03-08-2012, 09:58 AM
under paul's policy he would not intervene in this though? or am i wrong? As much as I'd like to see the world change and become more peaceful it will never happen at the point of a gun and occupation,and it goes against everything I believe in.

Feeding the Abscess
03-08-2012, 10:06 AM
For some fun, anyone remember the Kill the Gays bill?

Yeah, that was Uganda.

Well played, Invisible Children. Make money off of warmongering, while sending this money to a government that enslaves children in its military and wants to kill homosexuals, so that that government can kill a guy who enslaves children in his private military. Did I mention that those children guard him, so the inevitable result of killing Kony would mean killing enslaved children.

Did I mention previously in this post that Invisible Children was largely responsible for lobbying and getting the legislation that kiwi posted passed? Read the whole thing. It's not even just a hunt for Kony, which would be erroneous enough. We're going to be occupying and rebuilding Uganda, enhancing a brutally oppressive government, and assuredly creating resentment and unrest in some fashion.

What could go wrong?

And really, what is Invisible Children's motive? The U.S. already passed legislation that put forces in Uganda and called for infrastructure building and tens of millions of dollars of continuous funding. If Invisible Children wanted Kony gone, why not hire a mercenary group to do the job?

Crotale
03-08-2012, 11:23 AM
Worth a post:

http://tumblr.thedailywh.at/post/18909727859/on-kony-2012-i-honestly-wanted-to-stay-as-far

On Kony 2012: I honestly wanted to stay as far away as possible from KONY 2012, the latest fauxtivist fad sweeping the web (remember “change your Facebook profile pic to stop child abuse”?), but you clearly won’t stop sending me that damn video until I say something about it, so here goes:

Stop sending me that video.

The organization behind Kony 2012 — Invisible Children Inc. — is an extremely shady nonprofit that has been called ”misleading,” “naive,” and “dangerous” by a Yale political science professor, and has been accused by Foreign Affairs of “manipulat[ing] facts for strategic purposes.” They have also been criticized by the Better Business Bureau for refusing to provide information necessary to determine if IC meets the Bureau’s standards.

Additionally, IC has a low two-star rating in accountability from Charity Navigator because they won’t let their financials be independently audited. That’s not a good thing. In fact, it’s a very bad thing, and should make you immediately pause and reflect on where the money you’re sending them is going.

By IC’s own admission, only 31% of all the funds they receive go toward actually helping anyone [pdf]. The rest go to line the pockets of the three people in charge of the organization, to pay for their travel expenses (over $1 million in the last year alone) and to fund their filmmaking business (also over a million) — which is quite an effective way to make more money, as clearly illustrated by the fact that so many can’t seem to stop forwarding their well-engineered emotional blackmail to everyone they’ve ever known.

And as far as what they do with that money:

The group is in favour of direct military intervention, and their money supports the Ugandan government’s army and various other military forces. Here’s a photo of the founders of Invisible Children posing with weapons and personnel of the Sudan People’s Liberation Army. Both the Ugandan army and Sudan People’s Liberation Army are riddled with accusations of rape and looting, but Invisible Children defends them, arguing that the Ugandan army is “better equipped than that of any of the other affected countries”, although Kony is no longer active in Uganda and hasn’t been since 2006 by their own admission. These books each refer to the rape and sexual assault that are perennial issues with the UPDF, the military group Invisible Children is defending.

Let’s not get our lines crossed: The Lord’s Resistance Army is bad news. And Joseph Kony is a very bad man, and needs to be stopped. But propping up Uganda’s decades-old dictatorship and its military arm, which has been accused by the UN of committing unspeakable atrocities and itself facilitated the recruitment of child soldiers, is not the way to go about it.

The United States is already plenty involved in helping rout Kony and his band of psycho sycophants. Kony is on the run, having been pushed out of Uganda, and it’s likely he will soon be caught, if he isn’t already dead. But killing Kony won’t fix anything, just as killing Osama bin Laden didn’t end terrorism. The LRA might collapse, but, as Foreign Affairs points out, it is “a relatively small player in all of this — as much a symptom as a cause of the endemic violence.”

Myopically placing the blame for all of central Africa’s woes on Kony — even as a starting point — will only imperil many more people than are already in danger.

Sending money to a nonprofit that wants to muck things up by dousing the flames with fuel is not helping. Want to help? Really want to help? Send your money to nonprofits that are putting more than 31% toward rebuilding the region’s medical and educational infrastructure, so that former child soldiers have something worth coming home to.

Here are just a few of those charities. They all have a sparkling four-star rating from Charity Navigator, and, more importantly, no interest in airdropping American troops armed to the teeth into the middle of a multi-nation tribal war to help one madman catch another.

The bottom line is, research your causes thoroughly. Don’t just forward a random video to a stranger because a mass murderer makes a five-year-old “sad.” Learn a little bit about the complexities of the region’s ongoing strife before advocating for direct military intervention.

There is no black and white in the world. And going about solving important problems like there is just serves to make all those equally troubling shades of gray invisible.

oyarde
03-08-2012, 11:25 AM
Any research of the organization that made the video shows how bad of an idea this is in practice.

Great blog post with links on the subject. (http://a-petro-manifesto.tumblr.com/post/18906791274/kony-2012-bandwagon-politics-and-why-you-should-not)

The IC supports the Ugandan army, which of course rapes and murders at will. Its just the newest "armchair activist" exercise. Like "change your FB profile picture to stop child abuse".

Post from an African activist. (http://innovateafrica.tumblr.com/)YEP

oyarde
03-08-2012, 11:38 AM
You need to be creative if you want to get people like me on board with some intervention in Uganda, which , I oppose. Come up with a package I could get behind . How about , zero dollars , zero troops , instead , the entire staff & offices of the UN in NewYork , the SPLC , the BATFE , the FBI , the TSA , the CIA, any American guilty of lemonade stand intervention and all of the DHS except the Coast Guard ?

MooCowzRock
03-08-2012, 11:43 AM
http://i.imgur.com/F0ftW.jpg

Crotale
03-08-2012, 12:16 PM
Some of you people make me fucking sick.

Then please don't click on this link: http://www.sickipedia.org/subcategory/view/3515 ;)

No you wouldn't. You really wouldn't. Don't even try to pretend that you would because you wouldn't. You see, you like to think you would, but if push ever came to shove, you wouldn't.

jmdrake
03-08-2012, 12:31 PM
Hire XSE?? Lol, jmdrake must have been joking :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xavier%27s_Security_Enforcers

But ya, they were called "Xe" but they are called "Academi" now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Academi

LOLz. :o Ummmm.....yeah I did read those comics years ago with Bishop the badass. And (embarrassed to say) I may have crossed Xe and XSE. But I was also joking. Xe's own human rights record has been atrocious. And further the Ugandan government itself could beat Koney if it wanted to! Here's the dirty little secret no one will acknowledge. Koney was once a rebel leader fighting on the side of the people he now persecutes. (Well sometimes persecutes. He's really on the ropes now.) The government in Uganda doesn't really want to beat Koney at this point because he's keeping their enemies in Northern Uganda in check. Seriously, if some teenagers with bows and arrows (and no mutant superpowers ;) ) can give Koney a run for his money, what can't the Ugandan government crush him for good? All they would have to do is to fully arm the arrow boys. They haven't. Why not? Because they don't really want Koney defeated! If Invisible Children were really about anything they would pressure the Ugandan government to let the north arm itself.

Bosco Warden
03-08-2012, 12:33 PM

This should not be the role of Govt, but something this horrific would gain more public support, and finance through awareness and donation then Govt could ever raise through taxation because this is ultimately the point of the question.

We do not have a good history doing this kind of foreign relations, I am sure now will be no different.

This is how charity works, I wold love to send some charitable donation to the people who would like to defeat this Kony, but sadly 35% of my wages are taken from me, where as I can barely keep my lights on or a roof over my head.

RonRules
03-08-2012, 12:35 PM

You are welcome to intervene PERSONALLY. Don't make the gov steal our money to go give it to the richest guy there. That's what Ron says.

Hiki
03-08-2012, 05:39 PM
Hmmm lets see...

The U.S. should go and take out a supposedly brutal dictator/warlord half across the globe while at the same time spreading freedomdust?
Nope cant see how anything could go wrong there... :rolleyes:

Andrew Ryan
03-08-2012, 06:12 PM
Jeez, it has over 1 million likes now

pcosmar
03-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Jeez, it has over 1 million likes now

lotta half wits out there.

iGGz
03-08-2012, 06:34 PM
]][[

bluesc
03-08-2012, 06:35 PM
Does it really have 40 million views?

God, how did that happen?

Don't even want to imagine how much money they raised, and how many of those enthusiastic 40 million people are from the hypocritical "antiwar" left.

Cyberbrain
03-08-2012, 07:41 PM
]We do have a moral authority when there is human suffering because we have the capability to stop it in cases like this.

A government is completely immoral. It is a pack of thugs that only has power through the use of force and because of this it is totally immoral or aka a "necessary evil". Morality only comes from individuals and in nearly every case what is moral for each individual person is what makes them the most happy. Obviously you, and me and quite a few people here and millions of others would be made most happy by seeing this guy brought to justice. You, and me, and all those people then, have a moral obligation to do something about it because it is in our own interests, in whatever way we wish (donations, spreading awareness, supporting companies who give a % of their profits in support, whatever). There is absolutely no moral authority to force anyone to support something against their will and that is exactly what you would be doing by getting the US military involved in this.

Salvial
03-08-2012, 08:23 PM
People in Uganda are raising hell because this is misleading and they're worried that it could foster problems.

The directors have publicly stated that this movie's timeline is misleading.

The charity is lobbying for a bill for the US to intervene in another place it is not needed.

seraphson
03-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Now why can't a video like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYZM58dulPE&list=PLB2B6A80B29787D9B&index=41&feature=plpp_video) get one million likes?

devil21
03-09-2012, 02:25 AM
I just read that the video maker admits to "simplifying" the story, which usually means playing loose with the facts. I didn't watch it past 7 minutes though. snoozefest

oyarde
03-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Well , one of you should post some of the atrocities committed by the Ugandan Army that has gotten 500 million American tax payer dollars to help themselves be rid of this guy who has been running around for thirty years. He probably is not in Uganda now .Probably should also consider the support LRA gets from Khartoum...

devil21
03-09-2012, 05:59 PM
Interesting follow up here. Looks like the video may be bullshit.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ugandans-say-kony-film-is-misleading-too-late/story-e6frfku0-1226295428056

A DOCUMENTARY and social media campaign to publicize the atrocities of Ugandan rebel leader Joseph Kony has been labelled "highly inappropriate" by members of the East African nation.

In the town of Gulu, where Kony's Lord's Resistance Army (LRA) was once focused, community health director Beatrice Mpora told the(London) Daily Telegraph Kony no longer reigned in the region.

"There has not been a single soul from the LRA here since 2006. Now we have peace, people are back in their homes, they are planting their fields, they are starting their businesses. That is what people should help us with."

Kony's army fled Uganda six years ago and the strongman and his fighters are now spread throughout many neighbouring countries, it was reported.

Ugandan journalist Rosebell Kagumire agreed with Mpora, saying, "This paints a picture of Uganda six or seven years ago, that is totally not how it is today. It's highly irresponsible."

A spokesman for Uganda's defense and army, Felix Kulayigye, told The Wall Street Journal that Kony was already a spent force. "The world is just realizing the evil in this man, but these are the things we have pointed out countless times in the past," Kulayigye said. "Good enough, we have decimated his capabilities now."
Kony is wanted by the International Criminal Court for crimes against humanity and war crimes including murder, sexual slavery and using children as combatants.

more at link

Is the video maker just trying to make money off the past tragedy? Or is this sort of thing used as the justification for more international intervention in African countries?

pcosmar
03-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Is the video maker just trying to make money off the past tragedy? Or is this sort of thing used as the justification for more international intervention in African countries?
Watch this,
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?366220-Video-PHONY-2012

2young2vote
03-09-2012, 06:18 PM

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/ugandans-say-kony-film-is-misleading-too-late/story-e6frfku0-1226295428056

You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the point of the video was actually to give outdated and false information to the public so the reactions could be studied. After listening to the intro, that is honestly what I got from it. Here is a comment from the video: "When he said 'experiment', he meant to see how dumb you people really are." :p

SL89
03-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Of course its a money making bullshit piece that the government supports for obvious reasons. When you are done with your homework... maybe we can fix the mess here at home?? Just a thought.

DerailingDaTrain
03-09-2012, 06:44 PM

They used most of the money raised to make videos and merchandise.

HOLLYWOOD
03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
Watch this,
http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?366220-Video-PHONY-2012Told yah all it was about the fossil fuels/energy grab... Thugs in Washington DC always lick their chops @ $$$

I was the 1st lol

pcosmar
03-09-2012, 07:14 PM
Damn,, I used to have this.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200717281560&_trksid=p2992.m753

had to go looking to see if it was on line,,,

PierzStyx
03-09-2012, 07:16 PM

This^ The guy we're backing is almost as bad. He committed atrocities as well. He just happens to be the one we support.

Brian Coulter
03-09-2012, 07:18 PM
Seems like a very noble cause...

This is how we get snookered into every single war we're involved in. The U.S. commits more atrocities in an average year than these petty dictators will do in a lifetime.

specsaregood
03-09-2012, 07:21 PM
You know, it wouldn't surprise me if the point of the video was actually to give outdated and false information to the public so the reactions could be studied. After listening to the intro, that is honestly what I got from it. Here is a comment from the video: "When he said 'experiment', he meant to see how dumb you people really are." :p

I seem to recall reading something about how our govt was doing things to monitor HOW things went viral on the internet/information spread...

John F Kennedy III
03-09-2012, 07:34 PM

I'll wager the same.

devil21
03-09-2012, 07:38 PM
Now I just heard on the radio that all the Hollywood bleeding heart bigwigs are getting behind this video/story. Clooney, Jolie, etc. I guess no amount of money and prestige is worth taking 10 minutes to research the history.

ClayTrainor
03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
I made a video reply which criticizes the "solutions" offered in this Kony 2012 video, and I'm also attempting to get anyone who has been motivated to help the people of Uganda to consider the entrepreneurial option of micro-loans, as opposed to political action and charity.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNF5IOohVHI

John F Kennedy III
03-09-2012, 07:42 PM
KONY 2012 Exposed: African Invasion Psyop: Infowars Nightly News

Infowars.com
March 9, 2012

Alex explains how the establishment is using the foundation controlled left to promote a US Military invasion of Africa.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Cv4UwyGFKks

Tarpley: Trendy Left Demands War In Africa

Alex Jones talks with Webster Tarpley about the 30-minute documentary that aims to shine a spotlight on central African militia leader Joseph Kony as Obama sends troops to central Africa to hunt down the Ugandan Lord’s Resistance Army.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3Z0Z33ODD4&list=UUvsye7V9psc-APX6wV1twLg&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xb6PYjmstXI&list=UUvsye7V9psc-APX6wV1twLg&feature=player_detailpage

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UUvsye7V9psc-APX6wV1twLg&v=PM2LZ3W1D2Q&feature=player_detailpage

Original article here:
http://www.infowars.com/tarpley-trendy-left-demands-war-in-africa/

Jonathanm
03-09-2012, 07:45 PM
I think it's a great idea to stop the creation of child soldiers, but I also feel it's illogical, as it requires us to police the globe.

Also, if we really want to combat child soldiers, why don't we end the drug war? The cartels and gangs, even in America, are notorious for recruiting poverty-stricken children to do drug deals, and turn them into soldiers of a different sort. I'd be willing to bet that there are far more child soldiers in the drug trade throughout the world than there are in these relatively small armies.

None-the-less, it's sickening that people recruit children as soldiers. :/

It's fucking sad that this wouldn't even surprise me. We've done some atrocious things under the guise of secret ops.

Greg Buchanan
03-09-2012, 10:20 PM
http://reason.com/archives/2007/02/23/guns-dont-kill-people-gun-cont

Gun control lies at the root of these problems. Apparently the UN pays nations to disarm its citizens, inevitably leading to genocide and oppression.

Cutlerzzz
03-10-2012, 01:37 AM
Some guy posted this on another board...

http://i.imgur.com/IB0lY.jpg

A few guys did, and following up with...

http://i1.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/265/085/e31.png

http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/265/086/916.png

http://i2.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/265/305/a87.png

http://i.imgur.com/QYsM2.png

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/terminal05/2012/3/9/12/enhanced-buzz-21268-1331315735-19.jpg

It seems like nobody has any clue.

Crotale
03-10-2012, 06:33 AM
^LOL :D

Republicanguy
03-10-2012, 10:13 AM
Well the LRA were present in the Central African republic, though I am notsure how President Bozize handled the situation politically. There is currently a health crisis in that country.

As for those US advisers sent to that country as well the neighbouring ones like Cameroon as well as Uganda. Been about four months now or something.

pcosmar
03-10-2012, 10:24 AM
http://reason.com/archives/2007/02/23/guns-dont-kill-people-gun-cont

Gun control lies at the root of these problems. Apparently the UN pays nations to disarm its citizens, inevitably leading to genocide and oppression.

No Doubt,, But gun control, or before that Weapon control was practiced by governments and empires long before the UN.

The UN just picks up where other disarmament programs left off.

The British were in Africa long before the UN.

anaconda
03-11-2012, 03:19 AM

Jason Russell is probably CIA. Video was probably made with Ford foundation money. I hate to be cynical but why aren't these people concerned with the crimes of Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Barack Obama, Condoleeza Rice, Ben Bernanke, and Tim Geithner?

anaconda
03-11-2012, 03:51 AM

Jason Russell is probably CIA. Video was probably made with Ford Foundation money. I hate to be cynical but why aren't these people concerned with the crimes of Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Barack Obama, Condoleeza Rice, Ben Bernanke, and Tim Geithner?

Feeding the Abscess
03-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Jason Russell is probably CIA. Video was probably made with Ford foundation money. I hate to be cynical but why aren't these people concerned with the crimes of Donald Rumsfeld, Dick Cheney, Barack Obama, Condoleeza Rice, Ben Bernanke, and Tim Geithner?

Even worse, the makers of the video implore viewers to appeal to these mass murders and criminals to stop Kony.

Not kidding.

abruzz0
03-11-2012, 04:18 AM
Russell uses his 4 year old son in the film as a practical joke and representation of his target audience. In other words, the people who view the film and fall for the propaganda have the mental capacity and geopolitical knowledge of 4 year olds and thus are easy to manipulate, direct, and control.

anaconda
03-11-2012, 05:10 AM
Russell uses his 4 year old son in the film as a practical joke and representation of his target audience. In other words, the people who view the film and fall for the propaganda have the mental capacity and geopolitical knowledge of 4 year olds and thus are easy to manipulate, direct, and control.

The political imprinting he was doing with his kid was real creepy.

maskander
03-11-2012, 05:27 AM
I think the kony2012 is a great cause it has nothing to do with politics, it's about the people sacrificing something they have and working together for a cause that has no influence on their bottom line.

alucard13mmfmj
03-11-2012, 05:50 AM
-NATO doesn't have a fantastic track record in humanitarian operations. NATO often kills a lot of innocent people on "accident".
-How come it is the US's responsibility to kill Kony? Why can't the Germans, British, Israelis, Australians take care of it? Are they heartless?
-We have no money to go into another conflict.
-Liberals should go mobilize an army to go fight Kony directly.
-Even if US government goes into Uganada with full military force, there are ulterior motives.
-We will make enemies in Uganda... which may become potential terrorists that might want to come to US to hurt us.

maskander
03-11-2012, 06:35 AM
we are paying the organization invisable children to influence policy makers to send US troops, so we are just doing what all the other people who want something done,

anaconda
03-11-2012, 05:20 PM
I think the kony2012 is a great cause it has nothing to do with politics, it's about the people sacrificing something they have and working together for a cause that has no influence on their bottom line.

Sending U.S. troops to function within a sovereign nation seems like politics to me. Sorting out psyop propaganda from truth brings into question what "cause" the people are actually working towards. And sending the troops without Congressional approval is highly questionable. How would Jason Russell or Obama feel about the Chinese sending training advisers to Idaho to improve and develop the fighting capacity of militia groups?

anaconda
03-11-2012, 05:24 PM
-Liberals should go mobilize an army to go fight Kony directly.

I guess the "cause" wasn't important enough for Jason Russell to join the fight to capture Kony. But he's OK with having others do the killing and dirty work.

Hospitaller
03-11-2012, 05:43 PM
Ive been telling Kony supporters that i know to buy a plane ticket to Uganda and take down kony themelves. The root of the problem is the ugandan people being unable to sufficiently defend themselves.

pcosmar
03-11-2012, 06:02 PM
Ive been telling Kony supporters that i know to buy a plane ticket to Uganda and take down kony themelves. The root of the problem is the ugandan people being unable to sufficiently defend themselves.

A problem,,but possibly not the root.
Why do people there continually support evil cannibalistic leaders? Kony ain't the first.(won't be the last) The current president is equally as bad as Kony.
Idi Amin was before that.

Has there ever been a time when it wasn't?
Seem a good place to avoid,,

nbhadja
03-11-2012, 06:03 PM
Don't believe it. It is pure BULL SHIT just like the Iraq and Iran wmd stuff.

Kony and the LRA have not been seen since 2006. This is just a war propoganda film pimped up by the corporate media to make the American masses believe that we must send massive amount of troops to Africa. The real reason is that the government wants to protect corporate interests in Africa.

Go over there and ask them about Kony and his group and even they will tell you that they have not been seen since 2006.

ZanZibar
03-11-2012, 06:10 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X--fBS4Gqn8&feature=uploademail

anaconda
03-11-2012, 07:33 PM
Don't believe it. It is pure BULL SHIT
Go over there and ask them about Kony and his group and even they will tell you that they have not been seen since 2006.

This eyewitness agrees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DO73Ese25Y&sns=fb

anaconda
03-11-2012, 07:38 PM
we are paying the organization invisable children to influence policy makers to send US troops, so we are just doing what all the other people who want something done,

That part is legal. Disobeying the Constitution is not.

Hospitaller
03-11-2012, 08:44 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already but it is essentially the last word in this argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUY2qlnQ4po&feature=channel

squarepusher
03-11-2012, 11:02 PM
http://www.fohguild.org/forums/attachments/screenshots/199461d1331345903-funny-strange-random-pics-internet-memes-konymon.jpg

Crotale
03-12-2012, 12:05 PM
Sorry if this has been posted already but it is essentially the last word in this argument.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUY2qlnQ4po&feature=channel

It really is a great video (as always) isn't it.

I've been trying to spread that video as much as I can online, you can vote it up on FTL here: http://www.freetalklive.com/content/stefan_molyneux_responds_kony2012_fad

People should also drudge it as much as possible. Tweet it and share it on facebook. Digg it, reddit it. Whatever, just get it as many views as possible

flightlesskiwi
03-14-2012, 10:13 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=68GbzIkYdc8#!

Cutlerzzz
03-14-2012, 10:17 AM
http://i.imgur.com/gD992.png

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423979_10150603885526840_21785951839_9426506_12321 12820_n.jpg

maskander
03-14-2012, 10:19 AM
It's not funny to make light of a child murderer, and child sex slave seller. I really don't understand how you can be for Kony.

Cutlerzzz
03-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Nobody is for Kony.

KMX
03-14-2012, 10:27 AM
I don't understnad how someone could think someone was for Kony....

eduardo89
03-14-2012, 11:11 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423979_10150603885526840_21785951839_9426506_12321 12820_n.jpg

Map is outdated. It doesn't show South Sudan as an independent country which borders Uganda to the north.

ronpaulfollower999
04-19-2012, 03:16 PM
Tomorrow is stop Kony 2012 day….or whatever its called.

Seems most people have forgotten about it by now, though.

devil21
04-19-2012, 05:45 PM
South Park just did an episode on the KONY crap.

Be careful or you'll end up naked in San Diego jackin it!

dannno
04-19-2012, 05:58 PM
South Park just did an episode on the KONY crap.

Be careful or you'll end up naked in San Diego jackin it!

+rep thanks for the reminder!

NewRightLibertarian
04-19-2012, 06:02 PM
Saw a fucking billboard in detroit today advertising this war propaganda. It disgusted me

dannno
04-20-2012, 09:52 AM
Saw a fucking billboard in detroit today advertising this war propaganda. It disgusted me

Interesting..

bump for Kony '12 sightings!!

seyferjm
04-20-2012, 11:25 AM
Nothing except for a couple of flyers on campus.

dannno
04-20-2012, 12:14 PM
bump

maskander
04-21-2012, 05:39 AM
Plastered downtown indianapolis with posters, some people tried to say they ripped them down. doubt it.