PDA

View Full Version : What Offices Can I (We) Run For?

tennman
03-06-2012, 10:02 PM
Seriously, I know that there are state senators, mayors in cities, congressman and of course the governor.

Are there others? What can a 31 year old guy who looks like he's 19 really do? And, for others, what paths are needed to run for certain offices and what offices exist?

Carehn
03-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Any thing you want. You should run for precinct committeeman 1st. very easy. then get to know people in your local party and see whats open and what you would have support for.

tennman
03-06-2012, 10:06 PM
What's a precint committeeman?

GeorgiaAvenger
03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
State house too. Sheriff. City council. School board. County commish.

tsai3904
03-06-2012, 10:07 PM
In many states, the lowest political office you can run for is the Precinct Committee Person position. These are fairly easy to win since so many positions go vacant.

What state are you in?

tsai3904
03-06-2012, 10:08 PM
What's a precint committeeman?

A voting member of your County GOP. If you become a PC, you get to vote for your County GOP's Chairman, Vice Chairman, and other party matters.

tbone717
03-06-2012, 10:09 PM
Seriously, I know that there are state senators, mayors in cities, congressman and of course the governor.

Are there others? What can a 31 year old guy who looks like he's 19 really do? And, for others, what paths are needed to run for certain offices and what offices exist?

It is tough to come out and run for an office where you need ten's of thousands of people to vote for you. Start small. Local offices, committeemen, etc are a good way to get your feet wet, and then moving to either state offices or Congress. Honestly, it is very rare that someone goes from nothing to Congress unless they are very well established in their community through other means. You need to know a lot of people and you need to raise a lot of money, so a lot of ones future potential in politics is dependent upon what they have done with their life already. If you are the type that is very active and well known in your community then you may be able to take a shot at a county seat or even state rep. But if you a virtual unknown, then start really small.

A good test to see how networked you are in your community is to visit the nearest grocery store on a busy night or on a Saturday. If you don't run into anyone you know, then you probably need to get out and meet more people in your local area.

Southerner
03-06-2012, 10:15 PM
Seriously, if you want to get a JOB in politics, get involved heavily with the PTA in your kids school, then once everyone knows how awesome you are, run for the schoolboard. It is the jumping off point of 53% of most pols.

chris41336
03-06-2012, 10:16 PM

I'm running for County Committee for my district. PIcking up the petition tomorrow afternoon. I'm only 22.

County Committee is out of the public eye but important and a way to get to know your party. The number one way to get ahead is to get to know the party, prove your worth, and prove that you can be an asset to them. They'll move you up. Once you are high enough..you won't need them anymore..

DonovanJames
03-06-2012, 10:19 PM
Apply to get on the ballot for Committee Precinct positions within your county. There is a male and female position for each precinct and a majority of these spots are unfilled. The chance of getting elected is very high even if you do have a contest as many people will just guess and mark someone if they don't know. Simple door to door or a flyer would probably put you over the edge.

It is around 3 required meetings a year and your main job is just gathering support for the Party within your community. This is how we take back what the Republican party began as. It's already established, well known, and organized. It's time to gut out the current and fill it with liberty minded, honest people with integrity. If YOU don't then WHO will. Think of how this would be if we had a majority of honest people within the GOP Central committees that didn't know what they were doing but knew bullshit when they saw it and damned sure didn't shut up about it. Maine, Iowa, Nevada.

I have signed up along with 5 others from our Grassroots organization in Greene County MO. I am 24 and don't really associate myself as a GOP enthusiast. But you know what? Liberty don't take shit from nobody anymore!

tennman
03-06-2012, 10:26 PM
It would be really nice if someone who is knowledgable about this would make a manual about positions and how to work your way up. We could distribute it among liberty minded people (Ron Paul supporters, libertarians, real conservatives).

tsai3904
03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
It would be really nice if someone who is knowledgable about this would make a manual about positions and how to work your way up. We could distribute it among liberty minded people (Ron Paul supporters, libertarians, real conservatives).

Every state is different. What state are you in?

tennman
03-06-2012, 10:48 PM
Tennessee.

Okie RP fan
03-06-2012, 11:11 PM
School Board. I know some people start there and become aware and disgusted with politics and money involved in our schools, and it inspires some to achieve higher callings.

City council... Anything else you mentioned.

JacobG18
03-07-2012, 11:59 AM
bump

Crotale
03-07-2012, 12:11 PM

Would be a real assett. Definately.

Uriah
03-07-2012, 12:21 PM
A manual would be an awesome asset but each state is different.

DerailingDaTrain
03-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Any positions a 19 year old can run for? I know there is an age limit on certain ones.

03-07-2012, 12:23 PM

Would gladly do it except that the problem is the differences among states.

For Texas at least, I have created a thread offering to assist anyone get elected to a local or small position as the primary filing ends on Friday. (http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?365606-Would-you-like-to-run-for-office-in-Texas-and-win)

However, anyone who needs help is welcome to PM me and I'd be more than happy to offer some advice and assistance.

GregVernon
03-07-2012, 01:09 PM
Any positions a 19 year old can run for? I know there is an age limit on certain ones.

It depends on the state. In New York, at least, both state representative positions (Assembly and Senate) are 18. Check there.

tbone717
03-07-2012, 01:13 PM
A big thing too is simply being involved in your community. Coach a kid's sport, join a civic club, attend local government meetings, get involved with a church. There is a myriad of things that you can do locally to be more involved, that way you will have influence. So people that drive past your house and see a yard sign for "Joe Smith for Goevrnor", might think to themselves, hey that's Bob's house, if Bob likes Joe Smith then so do I.

Mr. Perfidy
03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
I have been toying with the idea of running for mayor. I have mad student loan debt though that i just utterly ignore, and do not want a spotlight on me. But, in any small town, can't a mayor pick a criminal friend as the chief of police, and inform the cops that if they bother his town with any arrests for marijuana possession, that they are fired? I think political offices should concentrate on turning their districts into sub-culture hubs where tyrant laws do not apply AND YET joe sixpack is still safe and happy! How would the public handle that news?

DerailingDaTrain
03-07-2012, 01:23 PM
It depends on the state. In New York, at least, both state representative positions (Assembly and Senate) are 18. Check there.

Where can I find out about the rules for NC?

Squid
03-07-2012, 01:24 PM
Brilliance Bump.

GregVernon
03-07-2012, 01:32 PM
Where can I find out about the rules for NC?

I checked your state's constitution. You need to be 21 for elected office (or older, depending on the position), so, next time around you're gunna run, right?

DerailingDaTrain
03-07-2012, 01:35 PM
I checked your state's constitution. You need to be 21 for elected office (or older, depending on the position), so, next time around you're gunna run, right?

Hell yeah. I figured the best way to start changing the way people think might be through local politics. I just emailed the GOP in my county to see if there was anything they needed volunteers for.

jbauer
03-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Where at in TN? I'm in Cookeville

Tennessee.

KMX
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
Seriously, if you want to get a JOB in politics, get involved heavily with the PTA in your kids school, then once everyone knows how awesome you are, run for the schoolboard. It is the jumping off point of 53% of most pols.

Public school's can suck my...