PDA

View Full Version : To All NRA Members

Dequeant
11-13-2007, 04:59 PM
My membership is expiring, so are many others in the military that took advantage of it as soon as the NRA made it available freely to military members. I called the NRA today and stated that i just received my renewal notice, like many friends of mine, but we want to know what stand the NRA is taking on which candidates. I told them i would definently renew my subscription if they did support Ron Paul, however, since i do not support ANY of the other candidates running, i would not contribute to an organization that did, since all my spare cash is going to support that candidate. I told them i'd really like to see the NRA support Ron Paul. I was polite and respectful, and so were they. I'm sure if they get enough of these phone calls from members of the NRA, they will begin to consider him as a more serious option.

If you're not an NRA member, don't waste your time, you'll only lessen the importance of actual members voicing their concerns on the issue directly to them. Plus, they ask for your name to confirm membership and put you on record as supporting a certain candidate (guessing about this last part, but they do confirm membership).

Here is the number for the NRA's ILA Grassroots hotline.

Hours are from 8am to 5pm EST.

tmg19103
11-13-2007, 05:07 PM
I belonged to the NRA for over a decade, so I am sure they will listen to me and I will put in a polite call.

However I consider the NRA sellouts and have been a member of the GOA for the past few years. I'll find a polite way to word this, though - but I doubt they will ever endorse RP. If the NRA truly supported the 2A, they would endorse RP, but they are a political animal that deals with Congress and RP is not well liked in Congress. I expect the NRA to endorse Thompson. However, if the NRA has not made an endorsement and the GOP field narrows down to Romney, Giuliani and RP - they would have to endorse RP or they would lose what little credibility they have remaining with me and would lose all credibility with gun owners.

Jimmy
11-13-2007, 05:07 PM
NRA sold us out years ago. GOA is the only serious group left.

Primbs
11-13-2007, 10:02 PM
Virginia Citizens Defense League and GAO are the best.

http://www.vcdl.org/

http://www.gunowners.org/

seapilot
11-13-2007, 10:18 PM
Romney do some sort of gun control? That would be good to know where I am at.

Ncturnal
11-13-2007, 10:24 PM
I gave up on the NRA years ago. They have lost their way just like the Republican party. The only thing they could possibly do to get me interested them again is a very early endorsement of Ron Paul.

ConstitutionGal
11-13-2007, 10:27 PM
GOA - The ONLY no-compromise 2nd Amendment grouup out there! NRA is too busy playing footsie with the PTB to line their own pockets for my taste. Any time you compromise, you LOSE something. The GOA and Ron Paul get my money!

American
11-13-2007, 10:29 PM
When these types of groups hit main stream they usually sell out, right to life foundation, sellouts, NRA sellouts, GOA is still grassroots and still principled about the 2nd amendment.

bbachtung
11-13-2007, 10:40 PM
Romney do some sort of gun control? That would be good to know where I am at.

Oh, yeah, the Flipper was pro-gun control in his 2002 run for governor of Taxachusetts:

In his 1994 US Senate run, Romney backed two gun-control measures strongly opposed by the National Rifle Association and other gun-rights groups: the Brady Bill, which imposed a five-day waiting period on gun sales, and a ban on certain assault weapons.

"That's not going to make me the hero of the NRA," Romney told the Boston Herald in 1994.

At another campaign stop that year, he told reporters: "I don't line up with the NRA."

And as the GOP gubernatorial candidate in 2002, Romney lauded the state's strong laws during a debate against Democrat Shannon O'Brien. "We do have tough gun laws in Massachusetts; I support them," he said. "I won't chip away at them; I believe they protect us and provide for our safety."

Romney says he still backs the ban on assault weapons, but he won't say whether he stands by the Brady Bill. And after the gun show tour, his campaign declined to say whether he would still describe himself as a supporter of tough gun laws.

"He believes Americans have the right to own and possess firearms as guaranteed under the US Constitution," spokesman Eric Fehrnstrom wrote in an e-mail. "He's proud to be among the many decent, law-abiding men and women who safely use firearms. Like President Bush, he supports restrictions on assault weapons, but Mitt Romney has also worked with gun owners and sportsmen to ease the gun-licensing laws in Massachusetts."

http://www.boston.com/news/local/articles/2007/01/14/romney_retreats_on_gun_control/

Mitt Romney -- "Directly and Candidly" on Guns: http://www.youtube.com/v/IaUvmWHzqJ0

Mitt Romney -- "Lifelong Hunter": http://www.youtube.com/v/03Buryxvnfw

tnvoter
11-13-2007, 10:57 PM

So True, I'm switching my membership too- 2mo's.

Kregener
11-13-2007, 11:00 PM
If you are sending ANY money to the NRA, then you are wasting it.

GOA all the way.

fletcher
11-13-2007, 11:11 PM
If the election was Hillary and Paul the NRA would endorse Hillary.

Man from La Mancha
11-13-2007, 11:18 PM
Be aware that most all successful groups, media or governments are soon infiltrated and perverted. Soon as the original members of such groups are gone they are nothing like they were. Just looked at all the good Kings that died and their sons took over. Everybody should desert the NRA, they want registration.

.http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/9435/blackwsmallyh7.gif (teaparty07.com)..

Mark Rushmore
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
The idea of 'private' database of fervent gun-owners always sounded like a grand idea :rolleyes:.

freeslacker
11-13-2007, 11:21 PM
http://www.gunowners.org/

Check out the quote right on their home page. GOA all the way.

LibertyEagle
11-13-2007, 11:28 PM
GOA - The ONLY no-compromise 2nd Amendment grouup out there! NRA is too busy playing footsie with the PTB to line their own pockets for my taste. Any time you compromise, you LOSE something. The GOA and Ron Paul get my money!

Plus, Jews for the Preservation of Firearms. They are a great group too. http://www.jpfo.org/

Zym
11-13-2007, 11:33 PM
I was a member for years, but like others here let it expire last year and went with GOA. Now I don't get phone calls every week by people being paid with my membership money to ask me for more money, and talking to me like I'm a fifth grader that can't comprehend the issues. I also know GOA is a no-compromise organization (NRA sold out). Great idea though. If your a NRA member, you should seriously consider moving to GOA. How much do you want to bet NRA endorses who ever gets the repub nomination, regardless of how they have voted on the second amendment in the past?

FSP-Rebel
11-13-2007, 11:50 PM
No offense to those here, but the NRA has been the controlled opposition for awhile as far as the neocons and the GOP are concerned. They are useful idiots just like the evangelicals.

ChickenHawk
11-14-2007, 12:14 AM
Compromise sucks but it is often only way to be successful in a democratic society. Someone said earlier in this thread that whenever you compromise you lose something. That is true but often if you refuse to compromise you lose everything. There is a reason the GOA is practically unknown and relatively unsuccessful and the NRA has either softened or defeated virtually every gun control bill ever voted on. The NRA has signed on to some things I don't agree with but by doing so they have defeated many bad things. I have no doubt without the NRA gun rights in this country would be far more infringed upon than they already are.

I seriously doubt that the NRA would endorse Rudolf Giuliani and if they did that would probably end my involvement with them. I don't expect that they will endorse a candidate for the nomination.

Lord Xar
11-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I think I am gonna go with GOA.

Who does the GOA support?

Mark Rushmore
11-14-2007, 12:22 AM
the NRA has either softened or defeated virtually every gun control bill ever voted on

Once a right is reframed as something which is even subject to negotiation, whether the people take it as some great victory that in specific cases they are subsequently 'protected' - you've already lost. The idea that we need a lobbying organization "negotiating" on our behalf when it comes to the bill of rights is sickening.

Edit:

To be clear, to say "It could have been worse!" is to miss the point.

noxagol
11-14-2007, 12:23 AM
I think I am gonna go with GOA.

Who does the GOA support?

I think they might have endorsed Ron Paul, but don't quote me on this. I know they give him an A+ ranking.

ChickenHawk
11-14-2007, 12:25 AM
Once a right is reframed as something which is even subject to negotiation, whether the people take it as some great victory that in specific cases they are subsequently 'protected' - you've already lost. The idea that we need a lobbying organization "negotiating" on our behalf when it comes to the bill of rights is sickening.

I understand what you are saying but I'll take it if the alternative is an outright loss.

Mark Rushmore
11-14-2007, 12:28 AM
I understand what you are saying but I'll take it if the alternative is an outright lose.

I understand that point of view, but especially when it comes to the eroding of rights today - I often feel it would be better to force the issue in one final battle. That way, if you lose, people are less apt to not notice. The way things are manipulated and reduced piecemeal, I can't help but feel such organizations do more harm than good.

ChickenHawk
11-14-2007, 12:34 AM
I understand that point of view, but especially when it comes to the eroding of rights today - I often feel it would be better to force the issue in one final battle. That way, if you lose, people are less apt to not notice. The way things are manipulated and reduced piecemeal, I can't help but feel such organizations do more harm than good.

I'm sometime torn on this as well. Probably the best thing to do is just join them all, NRA, GOA, JPFO, etc. At any rate, I am glad that the GOA is keeping an eye on the NRA.

samtechlan
11-14-2007, 12:38 AM
I'm a member of the NRA and I still think they are a valuable organization protecting the Right to Keep and Bear Arms but I will not donate money to them during the election season unless they endorse Ron Paul.

nexus7
11-14-2007, 06:31 AM
The nra are sellouts. G.O.A. is the only logical choice and they give Ron an A+ on Guns.

speciallyblend
11-14-2007, 07:15 AM
Screw the NRA/ its all about the GOA GOA,the nra sold out many years ago nra=hillary clinton on steroids ,JOIN THE GOA

The GOA is better then the nra(the nra is like the 2 yr old that wont stop whining but will sell you out in a heartbeat if they think they will get some candy)

Jimmy
11-14-2007, 07:33 AM
Compromise sucks but it is often only way to be successful in a democratic society. Someone said earlier in this thread that whenever you compromise you lose something. That is true but often if you refuse to compromise you lose everything. There is a reason the GOA is practically unknown and relatively unsuccessful and the NRA has either softened or defeated virtually every gun control bill ever voted on. The NRA has signed on to some things I don't agree with but by doing so they have defeated many bad things. I have no doubt without the NRA gun rights in this country would be far more infringed upon than they already are.

I seriously doubt that the NRA would endorse Rudolf Giuliani and if they did that would probably end my involvement with them. I don't expect that they will endorse a candidate for the nomination.

Compromising is why were in the shape we are in today. Even Ronald Regan would have laughed in you face if you told him 30 years ago that the front runners for the republican party were anti gun....same is true of the whole process. Soon some republicans will be happy voting for a conservative communist instead of a full blown communist because it is still the lessor of the evils. People keep backing the NRA compromise year after year,vote after vote and they will take them further down the wrong path. Compromise indeed.....year after year....vote after vote. At some point during this process you make a stand, say thats far enough or theres nothing left to fight for....about like defending the republican party...because there the lessor of the evils...well not really anymore eh. NRA is good for prolonging the process but they will end up with the same result in the end...back them OR back someone who doesn't compromise. Don't endorse a canidate eh? Why not? Not in there "interest" or gun owners interests? You dought they would back Guilinai? Not to sure eh? Me either.

www.klru.org/texasmonthlytalks/archives/jackson/jackson.asp

^^Click last video....the enemy is within. 5 round cap...and no assault weapons..

www.nrawinningteam.com/bios01/jackson.html

^^ Who is that??...no suprise considering past actions of the sellouts.

pcosmar
11-15-2007, 07:55 AM
I got a letter from them last week, wanting me to join.
I sent then a SlimJim and a flier on the 2nd amendment in the envelope provided.

RTsquared
11-15-2007, 08:50 AM
Just got a letter from Fred08 touting his 2nd Amendment credentials and asking for contributions. I've never been to the Fred08 site...wonder where they might have gotten my information from? Hmmmmm....

I was polite - I filled out his questionnaire regarding my stances on 2nd Amendment issues...and on the donation form I wrote "My $$$ are going to the MOST pro-gun candidate - Ron Paul"

I stuffed this back in the postage-paid envelope, and it is now back on its way to FredHQ.

huchahucha
11-15-2007, 10:21 AM
I'm going to have to agree with ChickenHawk on this. I don't agree with everything the NRA does, but to say compromise is not an option is just silly. If you truly believe in not compromising, then I invite you to conceal or open carry in your local community regardless of your state laws. If the cops stop you and give you a ticket or fine, ignore them. After awhile when they get a warrant and come to arrest you, engage them with a gun fight. Anything less would be compromising.

Richard in Austin
11-15-2007, 10:35 AM
I think the NRA will endorse Fred.

I am a Life Member of NRA and GOA, and I wish NRA would restrict itself to gun safety programs and marksmanship competitions.

Once you start compromising on rights, there's no end to it.

I'm keeping my NRA membership only so I can vote. Please sign the petition to recall Joaquin Jackson as NRA director:

http://freedomjoyadventure.blogspot.com/2007/09/nra-members-please-sign-this-petition.html

http://freedomjoyadventure.blogspot.com/2007/09/nra-director-says-five-rounds-is-enough.html

Swmorgan77
11-15-2007, 11:27 AM

Agreed, but also JPFO is a good organization.

Primbs
11-15-2007, 11:35 AM
Every state needs an organization VCDL. Virginia Citizens Defense League.

http://www.vcdl.org/

You should sign for their newsletter to see how activists fight for their gun rights in Virginia. They have been very successful.

drew1503
11-15-2007, 11:37 AM
The NRA supported the last gun control bill that would of banned alot of VETERANS from owning guns and create more lists for the FBI.

xd9fan
11-15-2007, 12:37 PM
I'm a Benefactor member of the NRA. Life member of the GOA. Life member of CCRKBA and making way for my life membership to JPFO

IMHO: The NRA is the 800lb Gorilla.....powerfull and slow....But I am tried of the sky is falling down monthly letters by wayne and chris cox in the mags. They are way into the neocon movement.......and I just think they are not serious about liberty...they compromise waaaaay to much......(just like the GOP does.....and look where they are now)

The GOA is the hyperactive 80lb chimp.......jumping all around and on your back if you are not consistant.

The CCRKBA...........awesome concept.........(I like the concept of a legion of armed citizens getting things done.........like RON PAUL supporters.....fricking amazing) But the CCRKBA has very poor effect.

The JPFO......Arron rocks!!....this is a in your face, aggressive but very thoughtful group. These guys need to multiply like water and gremlins.

Bottom line......we the people are the wall......we are the ones that protect liberty....NOT GOVT!!!! they only protect....themselves. period.

just my 2cents......(then again with inflation....)

krott5333
11-15-2007, 12:38 PM
i let my NRA membership run out and instead went to the GOA.

The NRA compromises too much

TruckinMike
11-15-2007, 01:17 PM
The trophies the NRA bring home are only sales tools to keep YOU sending them money. As stated previously, you cannot compromise "Rights", its impossible by definition, thus the NRA takes a right and destroys it through the action of compromise.

If there were no wins... we would have kicked out the turn coat congressmen long ago, but since they to compromised, we were sold a bill of goods to the effect that they were Pro -2nd.

The NRA has facilitated its own demise as well as the demise of the GOP.... through their piece-mill destruction of the 2nd Amendment. Via compromise.

TruckinMike

Stoli
11-17-2007, 06:31 PM
http://gunowners.org/a103007.htm

very important

Dequeant
11-17-2007, 07:49 PM
After awhile when they get a warrant and come to arrest you, engage them with a gun fight. Anything less would be compromising.

Of course, if everyone had done this since the first gun control law was passed......there'd be very few cops willing to serve the warrants, and eventually even politicians would have had to admit it wouldn't work. Instead, we compromised and they keep passing new laws.