PDA

View Full Version : The Ron Paul view on local politics

TheCaliforniaLife
03-06-2012, 07:22 PM
So I was thinking about it after I was recently polled by a local company to see my position on local issues. They ask me questions like "Would you support a bond to give the school more money to help develop different departments?" and things like "Would you support a tax increase to help expand our local water reservoir?" It got me thinking... what is the right way to look at these issues? Do I say I don't support a local school bond because of the way they have misused previous money from the bonds? Or what if the bonds were properly used? Is support contingent upon efficient usage of the bond money? Also, I am at a loss for issues like the local water reservoir. Is it because it is a public good that I should support it? Generally with larger federal issues, I know how I would vote. I want to make things more local. However, when they get local, how should things be ran? What is the more free-market/libertarian/ron paulian view on these issues?

TheCaliforniaLife
03-08-2012, 07:02 PM
bump

TheCaliforniaLife
03-10-2012, 04:47 PM
bump

WilliamC
03-10-2012, 04:51 PM
I think for now just selling the idea that more money and control should be returned to the State level is the only politically viable selling point, since arguing for minarchy or anarcho-capitalism or such is so far removed from most peoples experience that if you bring it up you automatically lose the debate.

But ultimately all 'government' should be paid for by user fees and voluntary contributions from the citizenry, otherwise someone is getting shafted at the expense of everyone else.