PDA

View Full Version : Wrote up an opinion piece for my school paper

saahmed
11-13-2007, 04:43 PM
In my university paper today, there was an article entitled, "Kucinich Blasts Bush" regarding his recent visit. So I decided to take the opportunity to write letter to the editor. Please read over it and give me any suggestions. Thanks.

Edited:

Kucinich not the only candidate to blast Bush

Republican Presidential candidate Ron Paul not only blasts Bush, but also drops everything to give Fed Reserve chairmen Ben Bernanke a beating. Paul calls for a non-interventionist foreign policy, which means he wants to pull out of Iraq immediately and drop any consideration of invading Iran. He wants to take it even further and pull troops out of the 130 nations we are currently in. The empire we are currently trying to maintain is detrimental to our economy, our security, and our civil liberties.

The Texas congressman realizes that U.S. monetary policy also needs to be fixed. Last week, he stopped his campaigning in New Hampshire just so he could go back to Washington and teach Bernanke a lesson. He argued that our current fiat monetary system results in rapid devaluation of the dollar and rampant inflation. Paul calls for a constitutional approach to monetary policy, involving a more stable gold and silver-backed currency. Sticking to the Constitution, Dr. Paul would also like to do away with the income tax. If the government went back to its spending levels in the ‘90s, the income tax, which makes up roughly 40% of the government’s income, would become unnecessary and we would all have more money to spend how we see fit. With all the savings from reduced overseas spending, the government would be able to tide over all those who have become dependent on federal welfare programs, while allowing others to opt out and enabling the government to phase the programs out.

Last Monday, Paul’s campaign raised $4.3 million online, beating the one-day online fundraising record. He has also been rising in the polls. Ron Paul will be having a rally near Olive Ct. on Saturday before the game. I encourage you to go and hear what he’s all about.

runderwo
11-13-2007, 04:50 PM
Basically, he is mimicking what Bush was saying back in 2000: a humble foreign policy and no nation-building.

I don't like this. It is the neocons that are mimicking traditional conservative messages to win votes and then finding excuses to let their neocon colors shine through later. Ron doesn't mimick anyone because his policy is based on history and reason and he has been writing about it for 30 years.

TechnoGuyRob
11-13-2007, 04:59 PM
I don't like this. It is the neocons that are mimicking traditional conservative messages to win votes and then finding excuses to let their neocon colors shine through later. Ron doesn't mimick anyone because his policy is based on history and reason and he has been writing about it for 30 years.

I agree, that made me very uneasy. Definitely don't say "mimick", and in fact, just leave that part out altogether. Just don't say that sentence.

saahmed
11-13-2007, 05:00 PM
I agree, that made me very uneasy. Definitely don't say "mimick", and in fact, just leave that part out altogether. Just don't say that sentence.

Alright, yeah, its unnecessary.

saahmed
11-13-2007, 05:05 PM
Edited it a little. Cut it down to stay within word constraints. Any other notes. Did I choose the right topics to write about for the university crowd?

Voice
11-13-2007, 05:20 PM
He believes the empire we are currently trying to maintain is detrimental to our economy and our security.

The above sounds a bit cultish: You are repetedly stressing the beliefs of Dr. Paul, and have none of your own. How does this sound?

The empire we are currently trying to maintain is detrimental to our economy and our security.

He argued with him about our current monetary system involving fiat money, resulting in the rapid devaluation of the U.S. dollar and rampant inflation.

When I hear "argued with him", I imagine my five year old son. How's this?

He argued that our current fiat monetary system results in rapid devaluation of the U.S. dollar and rampant inflation.

If the government went back to its spending levels in the ‘90s, the income tax, which makes up roughly 40% of the government’s income, would become unnecessary.

Perhaps your audience would appreciate an extra paragraph here discussing the economic benifits of all that extra spending by individuals. Also the increase in charital giving and individual savings.

For those of you who don’t know Ron Paul, you should begin to take notice.

Arrogant; sure to raise hackles. Remove completely.

Last Monday, his campaign raised $4.3 million online, beating the one-day online fundraising record. He has also been rising in the polls. Ron Paul will be having a rally near Olive Ct. on Saturday before the game. I encourage you to go and hear what he’s all about.

He has also been rising in the polls. Last Monday his campaign beat the one-day online fundraising record, raising $4.3 million online. Ron Paul will be having a rally near Olive Ct. on Saturday before the game. I encourage you to go and hear what he’s all about.

saahmed
11-13-2007, 05:23 PM
The above sounds a bit cultish: You are repetedly stressing the beliefs of Dr. Paul, and have none of your own. How does this sound?

The empire we are currently trying to maintain is detrimental to our economy and our security.

When I hear "argued with him", I imagine my five year old son. How's this?

He argued that our current fiat monetary system results in rapid devaluation of the U.S. dollar and rampant inflation.

Perhaps your audience would appreciate an extra paragraph here discussing the economic benifits of all that extra spending by individuals. Also the increase in charital giving and individual savings.

Arrogant; sure to raise hackles. Remove completely.

He has also been rising in the polls. Last Monday his campaign beat the one-day online fundraising record, raising $4.3 million online. Ron Paul will be having a rally near Olive Ct. on Saturday before the game. I encourage you to go and hear what he’s all about.

Thanks for the good advice. Unfortunately, there is a 300-word limit so I can't expand on this, but I will make your suggested changes.

saahmed
11-13-2007, 05:35 PM
Edited again

RPinSEAZ
11-13-2007, 05:37 PM
I like it's current incarnation.

Lois
11-13-2007, 05:56 PM
Hi Saahmed,

I think it's great, and thank you for making the effort to write this and spread the word about Ron Paul at your college.

Lois

saahmed
11-13-2007, 08:57 PM
About to send it in, any last minute remarks.