PDA

View Full Version : The KY-CD4 Field

Nathan Hale
03-06-2012, 08:04 AM
So, how does the field look? Are we getting an idea of who are the also-rans and who are the main players? Here's the breakdown from politics1.com:

District 4:
[ Geoff Davis (R)* - Retiring in 2012. ]
Marc Carey (R) - Attorney, Farmer & Blogger
Thomas Massie (R) - Lewis County Judge-Executive, Businessman, Rancher & Mechanical Engineer
Gary Moore (R) - Boone County Judge-Executive
Brian Oerther (R) - Teacher, Tea Party Activist & '10 LaGrange Mayor Candidate
Walter Christian Schumm (R) - Building Contractor
Alecia Webb-Edgington (R) - State Rep. & Ex-State Police Official
Tom Wurtz (R) - Business Consultant
Bill Adkins (D) - Grant County Democratic Chair & Attorney
Greg Frank (D) - Veteran

Jeremy
03-06-2012, 07:32 PM
Yeah, the main players against Thomas have always been Alecia Webb-Edgington and Gary Moore. Probably Alecia more than Gary.

Slutter McGee
03-08-2012, 09:15 AM
How does Carey affect the race

Slutter McAGee

Sola_Fide
03-08-2012, 09:31 AM
How does Carey affect the race

Slutter McAGee

Not very much thankfully.

Nathan Hale
03-08-2012, 09:05 PM
And where does Massie fall in the field? When the media talks about the race, are they talking about Massie/Moore/Edgington?

Sola_Fide
03-08-2012, 09:26 PM
And where does Massie fall in the field? When the media talks about the race, are they talking about Massie/Moore/Edgington?

The local media definitely recognizes Massie as a formidable contender. Possibly the favorite. Comparisons are already starting to be made to the Rand/Greyson dynamic. It's the establishment vs. tea party all over again like it was in 2010. It's pretty exciting.

Nathan Hale
03-08-2012, 09:27 PM
The local media definitely recognizes Massie as a formidable contender. Possibly the favorite. Comparisons are already starting to be made to the Rand/Greyson dynamic. It's the establishment vs. tea party all over again like it was in 2010. It's pretty exciting.

That works - so long as he's considered. I have no experience in the district, so I didn't know if he had traction or if this was RPF hype.

Sola_Fide
03-08-2012, 09:31 PM
That works - so long as he's considered. I have no experience in the district, so I didn't know if he had traction or if this was RPF hype.

lol...actually it isn't hype this time. This is definitely for real. We have a real shot at this.

Nathan Hale
03-08-2012, 09:34 PM
lol...actually it isn't hype this time. This is definitely for real. We have a real shot at this.

Cool. That said, I think a lot of these candidates have real chances. It's a shame that so many of our best candidates are attempting primary challenges, but hey, primary defeats are all the rage these days (I'm pretty psyched about Dan O'Connor in NY12, mainly because he's a Dem whose part of the movement)

Adrock
03-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Yeah, the main players against Thomas have always been Alecia Webb-Edgington and Gary Moore. Probably Alecia more than Gary.

Are both his opponents establishment? What I am getting at is if they are going to be splitting the establishment vote, or if one of them is going to be trying to split the conservative/libertarian/teaparty vote with Massie.

Nathan Hale
03-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Are both his opponents establishment? What I am getting at is if they are going to be splitting the establishment vote, or if one of them is going to be trying to split the conservative/libertarian/teaparty vote with Massie.

That's a viable concern. Massie's triangulation against his primary opponents could make or break him.

Jeremy
03-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Are both his opponents establishment? What I am getting at is if they are going to be splitting the establishment vote, or if one of them is going to be trying to split the conservative/libertarian/teaparty vote with Massie. Yes, they are both establishment and will probably split the vote. Some minor candidates might also appeal to tea partiers, but I don't see them gaining any ground. The most well known candidate other than the main three is probably Marcus Carey. Another thread in this board discusses him.

Sola_Fide
03-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Cool. That said, I think a lot of these candidates have real chances. It's a shame that so many of our best candidates are attempting primary challenges, but hey, primary defeats are all the rage these days (I'm pretty psyched about Dan O'Connor in NY12, mainly because he's a Dem whose part of the movement)

If Thomas can win the primary, we are pretty much assured a win in the general. District 4 is the most affluent and conservative part of KY. Much of the grassroots conservative activism in the state comes from this area. Rand talks about this in The Tea Party Goes To Washington in the last chapter. The Northern Kentucky Tea Party was instrumental in Rand's win and will come through for Thomas hopefully.

Nathan Hale
03-09-2012, 01:50 PM
Awesome, AB!

SneakyFrenchSpy
03-20-2012, 06:04 PM
Yes, they are both establishment and will probably split the vote. Some minor candidates might also appeal to tea partiers, but I don't see them gaining any ground. The most well known candidate other than the main three is probably Marcus Carey. Another thread in this board discusses him.

Any idea where that Marcus Carey thread is located? Thanks!
I was thrilled when I heard Marcus was running for Congress, as I've been following him and his blog since the early days of Rand's campaign. I was not so thrilled anymore when this thread made me realize he was running against Massie. I wish we could convince him (Carey) to run for something else this year, as I think his true calling is to become the Junior Senator for KY in 2014.

Nathan Hale
04-17-2012, 06:28 AM
Any update on Massie's primary field? Do we have polling yet?

Sola_Fide
04-17-2012, 02:14 PM
Any update on Massie's primary field? Do we have polling yet?

Not that I know of. The only candidates who will have a district-wide footprint are Thomas, Alecia, and Gary. Alecia is starting to have some missteps and getting some flack for it. She could still rally though. Gary Moore is strangely the perceived front-runner (mostly because at this point the only thing people can guage is money). At this point, I can see Moore being more formidable than Alecia...its hard to tell though.

Talking with the staff makes me feel pretty good about our chances...of course I can't talk about any of those conversations because of all the other candidate's goons who are studying the front-runners messageboard:)

seyferjm
04-17-2012, 03:40 PM
I might be going to a meet and greet tomorrow in Ft. Mitchell. I'd like to meet him, even if he is running in Kentucky.

clint4liberty
04-17-2012, 07:02 PM
We covered all the candidates on Kentuckiana GrassRoots Radio tonight: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ky-grassroots-radio

Nathan Hale
04-17-2012, 09:14 PM
We covered all the candidates on Kentuckiana GrassRoots Radio tonight: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/ky-grassroots-radio

Okay, I don't have time to listen right now. Any word from Massie's race?