PDA

View Full Version : CO and MD - Two "wins" on the gun rights front.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Every little bit helps

Colorado Supreme Court: Students Can Carry Guns
Judges strike down ban on concealed weapons

http://www.newser.com/story/141122/colorado-supreme-court-students-can-carry-guns.html

(Newser) – Congrats to Colorado students who like packing heat on a school day: The state Supreme Court today ruled against a gun ban at the University of Colorado, the Denver Post reports. The justices unanimously agreed that the school's board of regents had overstepped its bounds in barring licensed concealed weapons—which are permitted by state law in most areas of Colorado. "We're very, very happy," said James Manley, the head of a conservative legal foundation.

At issue was the extent of Colorado's 2003 Concealed Carry Act, which allows a gun owner with a permit to carry a concealed weapon "in all areas of the state"—except K-12 schools, certain federal properties, and buildings with security checkpoints such as courthouses. A lawsuit by three students opposing CU's anti-gun rule was first dismissed by a district court and then upheld by appeal, before today's decision. Manley said his clients "will now be able to exercise their constitutional rights to carry on campus."

Federal judge says gun owners need not provide 'good reason,' rules Maryland law unconstitutional

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/03/05/federal-judge-rules-maryland-gun-permit-law-unconstitutional/#ixzz1oIAJBZjt

BALTIMORE – Maryland residents do not have to provide a "good and substantial reason" to legally own a handgun, a federal judge ruled Monday, striking down as unconstitutional the state's requirements for getting a permit.

U.S. District Judge Benson Everett Legg wrote that states are allowed some leeway in deciding the way residents exercise their Second Amendment right to bear arms, but Maryland's objective was to limit the number of firearms that individuals could carry, effectively creating a rationing system that rewarded those who provided the right answer for wanting to own a gun.

"A citizen may not be required to offer a 'good and substantial reason' why he should be permitted to exercise his rights," Legg wrote. "The right's existence is all the reason he needs."

Anti Federalist
03-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Obama Re-Election Credited With Burst of Gun Sales

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Texas-Gun-Sales-Boom-141366763.html

Gun sales are booming across Texas, and some buyers say their growing belief that President Barack Obama's re-election is inevitable is fueling their race to bear more arms.

So brisk have sales been that the rush has created a nationwide shortage of firearms and ammunition, the Star-Telegram reports. Fort Worth gun shop owner DeWayne Irwin said the rush is similar to one seen shortly after the president's 2008 election.

Alan Korwin, author of nine books on gun laws and operator of a gun laws website, tells the Star-Telegram that some are worried that Obama's re-election would embolden a major gun control push.

Korwin said people worry that if Obama wins "he will go after firearms in a way we have never seen before." He added the belief is fueled by perceived disarray in the field of candidates for the Republican presidential nomination

youngbuck
03-06-2012, 04:51 PM
Awesome! This brightens my day.:D

Uriel999
03-06-2012, 06:55 PM
Alright, so I would say right now to get as much ammunition as possible. Not because I am worried about politicians at the moment...but because people are starting to bulk buy again that probably otherwise rarely participate in the firearms community. If you remember last election getting common rounds was insanely difficult. The calibers I buy the most, .45 and 5.56/.223 were nowhere to be found. It was really annoying.

I wasn't trying to stock up because of Obama fear, but just get ammo to go enjoy shooting.

Oh and if you do not have a black rifle like an AR15 or AK47 variant and want one. I would also suggest getting one soon as well. Again not because I am worried about a ban, but in reality people are going to go nuts buying them again and gun shops are going to start charging insane prices. Right now you can get a Colt m4 style AR for less than a grand but just 4 years ago people were paying 2 grand for them.

matt0611
03-06-2012, 06:59 PM
I disagree with the "incorporation doctrine" (applying the federal bill of rights to the state governments) but at least it gets used in a positive way every once in a while.