PDA

View Full Version : TX - Cop spy drone loses control and crashes into cop tank.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2012, 01:52 PM
Now, if that had crashed into a Mundane's car and got everybody killed, what do you think the response would have been?

I swear, I can't make this shit up.

Drone crashes into SWAT team tank during police test near Houston

http://www.examiner.com/page-one-in-houston/drone-crashes-into-swat-team-tank-during-police-test-near-houston#ixzz1oH30AFqv

(Conroe, Montgomery County) -- A drone has crashed during a police test flight near Houston, adding to growing safety concerns as more police departments take flight with the unmanned aircraft.

The Montgomery County Sheriff's Office north of Houston became one of the first police departments in the country to begin flying Unmanned Aerial Vehicles (UAV) for police missions in October 2011.

County officials and the maker of that drone confirmed on Friday that a recent police-only photo mission went terribly wrong.

As the sheriff's SWAT team suited up with lots of firepower and their armored vehicle known as the "Bearcat," a prototype drone from Vanguard Defense Industries took off for pictures of all the police action. It was basically a photo opportunity, according to those in attendance.

Vanguard CEO Michael Buscher said his company's prototype drone was flying about 18-feet off the ground when it lost contact with the controller's console on the ground. It's designed to go into an auto shutdown mode, according to Buscher, but when it was coming down the drone crashed into the SWAT team's armored vehicle.

The damage was not severe, according to Buscher, who described only some 'blade strikes' on the prototype drone that was being shown off to the Montgomery County Sheriff's team.

No word on what caused the drone to lose contact with the ground console.

It's the exact scenario that was mentioned as a major concern when the Government Accountability Office studied the growing use of police drones in 2008.

Ever since Houston Police were exposed in November 2007 on a secret test of drones for law enforcement, dozens of police agencies have applied for drones to be used on patrols throughout the country.

Couple that with recent approval for private sector use of drones and pilots and government watchdogs have plenty of concerns.

In the 2008 GAO study, Gerald Dillingham, Director of Civil Aviation for GAO said,

"The concern is that you could lose control of that aircraft and it could crash into something on the ground or, in fact, it could crash into another air vehicle."

The GAO study found that 65% of drone crashes were caused by mechanical failures. The study analyzed Pentagon and NASA data on 199 crashes of drones on battlefields.

Before this Montgomery County crash, the only crash of a law enforcement drone was recorded in 2006 in Nogales, Arizona. The Customs & Border Protection flight crashed in the desert due to the same "lost link" scenario that sent the Montgomery County unit crashing into its SWAT team tank.

When the link between the drone and the control console on the ground is lost, all drones are designed to steady up and glide to a landing. In some cases, the drones already have a location programmed in for landing in the event of a problem. In others, there is no such pre-determined landing zone.

Dillingham said that's another dangerous problem with drones in urban areas. He said,

"If you're onboard the aircraft, you can tell that you're in turbulence and you can maneuver to get the plane or the aircraft out of the turbulence. But if you're using a UAV and there are no sensors aboard, you don't really know that and, again, if you lose that communication link as a result of that turbulence or for any other reason, then you have an aircraft that is not in control and can, in fact, crash into something on the ground or another aircraft."

The 73-page GAO study found 17-percent of the crashes studied were blamed on operator error and 12-percent were listed as unknown causes.

Montgomery County Sheriff Tommy Gage could not be reached for comment, nor could his chief deputy in charge of his drone program.

Buscher said his prototype aircraft veered to the right when it lost communication with the groun unit, and he said it merely overshot its landing area a bit when the auto shutdown procedure kicked in.

The drone that actually belongs to the Montgomery County Sheriff, which was unveiled in October 2011, was sitting nearby and was not damaged in the crash.

Buscher said the drone that crashed was a different model from the ShadowHawk that was purchased for Montgomery County Sheriff's use in law enforcement. That unit cost $300,000 and the sheriff said Department of Homeland Security grant money was used.

When Montgomery County unveiled its drone to the public, the sheriff and his staff boasted that it would help the SWAT team for any hostage standoff or other tense scene. Some members of the sheriff's department SWAT team had already expressed reservations about whether they really need a drone when their riles are aimed for real.

Given how this first mission with their SWAT team ended, those skeptical deputies are unlikely to be converted into believers.

phill4paul
03-05-2012, 01:56 PM
Now, if that had crashed into a Mundane's car and got everybody killed, what do you think the response would have been?

Act of god. Accident. Meh, the tax payers will pay for restitution.

phill4paul
03-05-2012, 01:56 PM

Act of god. Accident. Meh, the tax payers will pay for restitution.

Pericles
03-05-2012, 01:57 PM
Over use of technology can easily come back to bite you in the ass.

jkr
03-05-2012, 02:06 PM
SO is this the style of protect and serve we can now expect from the "police"?

crashing model airplanes-its not just for middle school anymorez.

BAN THESE SHIT TOYS FROM AMERICAN AIRSPACE NOW!

kylejack
03-05-2012, 02:27 PM
Ahahahahahaha

Here's the Gizmodo piece. http://gizmodo.com/5890507/police-drone-crashes-into-police

pcosmar
03-05-2012, 02:46 PM
Over use of technology can easily come back to bite you in the ass.

Counting on it.

KingNothing
03-05-2012, 02:58 PM

Assaulting a Police Officer.

Steve-in-NY
03-05-2012, 03:47 PM
So... 2 things cops shouldnt have interacting with each other in ways they shouldnt.

Acala
03-05-2012, 03:55 PM
I am going to take this opportunity to reiterate what I posted in another thread: while the government may have lots of cool equipment and plenty of warm bodies on the payroll, it is, by and large, a pathetically inept organization to the point of being comedic. You can put Barny Fife in body armor and a kevlar helmet, give him an m16 and a drone, but he will still be Barny Fife.

heavenlyboy34
03-05-2012, 04:10 PM
I am going to take this opportunity to reiterate what I posted in another thread: while the government may have lots of cool equipment and plenty of warm bodies on the payroll, it is, by and large, a pathetically inept organization to the point of being comedic. You can put Barny Fife in body armor and a kevlar helmet, give him an m16 and a drone, but he will still be Barny Fife.
Exactly right. This is why the MIC is extremely dangerous-they have the money to farm out the creation of these insane weapons as well as competent people to operate them. Expect them to hire contractors to get this program "in place" as it were. More shades of Blackwater (XE).

Acala
03-05-2012, 04:18 PM
Exactly right. This is why the MIC is extremely dangerous-they have the money to farm out the creation of these insane weapons as well as competent people to operate them. Expect them to hire contractors to get this program "in place" as it were. More shades of Blackwater (XE).

And this is why the coming collapse of the dollar is your friend. Mercenaries all have one thing in common - when the paychecks stop coming, they stop fighting. Patriots don't.

heavenlyboy34
03-05-2012, 04:22 PM
And this is why the coming collapse of the dollar is your friend. Mercenaries all have one thing in common - when the paychecks stop coming, they stop fighting. Patriots don't.
Can't disagree with that.

green73
03-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahaha

flightlesskiwi
03-05-2012, 04:42 PM
"If you're onboard the aircraft, you can tell that you're in turbulence and you can maneuver to get the plane or the aircraft out of the turbulence. But if you're using a UAV and there are no sensors aboard, you don't really know that and, again,if you lose that communication link as a result of that turbulence
or for any other reason, then you have an aircraft that is not in control and can, in fact, crash into something on the ground or another aircraft."

truth

THIS story is an example of why the big drones are not the future (http://www.ted.com/talks/view/lang///id/1376)

JK/SEA
03-05-2012, 04:58 PM
thats what happens when you eat donuts while trying to maneuver a drone by remote.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2012, 05:41 PM
thats what happens when you eat donuts while trying to maneuver a drone by remote.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JK/SEA again.

ghengis86
03-05-2012, 05:45 PM

Do you have a printing press or the world's gold in your vault underneath 33 liberty street (allegedly)? Ben S Bernanke does. Do you make legal tender laws? The State can.

Unfortunately, I don't see the state not having the ability to pay their enforcers.

Anti Federalist
03-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Unfortunately, I don't see the state not having the ability to pay their enforcers.

They'll get paid.

They'll get paid in currency that the rest of us Mundanes will have long sinced ceased to see by that point.

Food.

Fuel.

Transportation.

Shelter.

For the rest of us..."The scoops are on the way!!!"

flightlesskiwi
03-05-2012, 06:06 PM

nom nom nom... this tastes funny, but, hell, i'm starvin' and it's keeping me from starvin' to death. who cares what's in it?

JK/SEA
03-05-2012, 06:08 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JK/SEA again.

dammit!...and i'm just 7 reps from a 3rd green bar!..

donnay
03-05-2012, 06:13 PM

He's a dangerous Barny Fife--good analogy because most of these government agents are afraid of their own shadows too, which makes them even more dangerous.

JK/SEA
03-05-2012, 06:14 PM
thats weird. My lap top says i need ....update....6 reps, but my office computer says 4...oh well....>thankyou flightlesskiwi!

JK/SEA
03-05-2012, 06:17 PM
He's a dangerous Barny Fife--good analogy because most of these government agents are afraid of their own shadows too, which makes them even more dangerous.

truth.

Pericles
03-05-2012, 08:13 PM

You may depend upon it.

Pericles
03-05-2012, 08:15 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to JK/SEA again.Got you

covered.

dillo
03-05-2012, 08:16 PM
If it hit a person, they probably would have went to their house to send half ass condolences to the family and then shoot their dog

QuickZ06
03-05-2012, 08:52 PM
Remember when we were all told we are all crazy for thinking drones would be in US airspace....................

pcosmar
03-05-2012, 08:54 PM
Remember when we were all told we are all crazy for thinking drones would be in US airspace....................

Damn wackos.

MikeStanart
03-05-2012, 09:10 PM

It's quite humurous in a sick way. It's scary how much of the "conspiracy talk' coming from this site since back in 2007 have turned out to be true.

JK/SEA
03-05-2012, 09:12 PM

well, so far their 0 for one...

Anti Federalist
03-05-2012, 09:45 PM
Damn wackos.

Bunch of goddamn conspiracy nuts, it's because of you people we can't get RP elected, with your outrageous theories...

Military drones in US airspace, "spying" on people...pfffft.

/S/

flightlesskiwi
03-05-2012, 10:00 PM
Bunch of goddamn conspiracy nuts, it's because of you people we can't get RP elected, with your outrageous theories...

Military drones in US airspace, "spying" on people...pfffft.

/S/

isn't that the natural progression of cultists like ya'll??

the ideas just suck you in because you're weak and can't think rationally and then you start internalizing everything that you hear and coming up with your own theories and become nuttier and nuttier.

Acala
03-07-2012, 04:51 PM
Do you have a printing press or the world's gold in your vault underneath 33 liberty street (allegedly)? Ben S Bernanke does. Do you make legal tender laws? The State can.

Oh, the government can create money. But it can't create wealth. Big difference.

Acala
03-07-2012, 04:52 PM
They'll get paid.

They'll get paid in currency that the rest of us Mundanes will have long sinced ceased to see by that point.

Food.

Fuel.

Transportation.

Shelter.

Government doesn't make any of those things. And if the money is no good it can't buy them either.

The future of freedom is in the black market. See you there!

pcosmar
03-07-2012, 04:57 PM
Government doesn't make any of those things. And if the money is no good it can't buy them either.

Dude,,
They don't have to make them,,when they can just take them.

Oh,,and a strong motivator was left off that list. SEX. And they can take that as well.

Anti Federalist
06-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Bump for relevance

heavenlyboy34
06-11-2012, 01:36 PM

I've changed my mind. This^^

heavenlyboy34
06-11-2012, 01:37 PM
It's quite humurous in a sick way. It's scary how much of the "conspiracy talk' coming from this site since back in 2007 have turned out to be true. And how wrong the "coincidence theorists" were. ;)

V3n
06-11-2012, 01:38 PM
Houston.. ..adding to Drone Watch - thanks!

paulbot24
06-11-2012, 01:57 PM
Damn it. Article no longer exists. There is a great ass shot of model Poonam Pandey however.

V3n
06-11-2012, 06:10 PM
Damn it. Article no longer exists. There is a great ass shot of model Poonam Pandey however.

You can copy a portion of the text into Google and other sources carrying the same article appear. (minus the photo :( )

r3volution
06-11-2012, 10:47 PM
hilarious . you could / this shit with a bbgun . atleast the local garbage .

Working Poor
06-11-2012, 10:59 PM

Oh crap and I was thinking it was hackers...

GunnyFreedom
06-11-2012, 11:27 PM
Assaulting a Police Officer.

LMAO too true!

nbruno322
06-12-2012, 08:16 AM
http://www.caseyresearch.com/gsd/sites/default/files/Fly%20My%20Pretties.jpg

Mani
06-12-2012, 08:05 PM
They'll get paid.

Food.

Fuel.

Transportation.

Shelter.

You best be careful mundane. Anymore talk like that and your monthly rations could be cut....

DerailingDaTrain
06-13-2012, 02:51 AM
Hopefully they never let them use these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

phill4paul
06-13-2012, 05:53 AM
Hopefully they never let them use these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNPJMk2fgJU

It is as inevitable as the sun rising tomorrow.

osan
06-13-2012, 08:15 AM

I will agree to a point. It is not the Barney Fifes that one need worry about, but rather the Charlie Mansons and Carol Chessmans who appear to make up the greater bulk of the corps. Intelligence is not required to be dangerously vicious and an efficient tool of the "state" but only a pathological willingness to do as you are told, particularly when the orders are to bring pain and harm to others, which in such cases is that which gets them hard.