PDA

View Full Version : TAKING ONE FOR THE TEAM

sailingaway
03-05-2012, 12:56 AM
Here is the interchange that burst the Santorum bubble:

SANTORUM: I have to admit, I voted for [No Child Left Behind]. It was against the principles I believed in, but, you know, when you’re part of the team, sometimes you take one for the team, for the leader, and I made a mistake.

You know, politics is a team sport, folks. And sometimes you’ve got to rally together and do something. And in this case, you know, I thought testing was—and finding out how bad the problem was wasn’t a bad idea.

Whenever a person is asked to take an action that offends his or her core beliefs and does so, we ordinarily consider that person to be shallow. There is never a justification for acting against one’s core beliefs. Only selfish justifications arise and none suffice. Santorum wanted to go along to get along. He wanted to be “part of the team.” What would make a person violate his core principles in this way, particularly when he is acting in the capacity of a public trust where those who voted for him expect him to fulfill his commitments. The answer is an ugly one. Santorum expected if he took one for the team, the team would respond favorably to him, advance his personal and political position. He compromised his basic principles for hedonistic reasons, because he expected to benefit personally and politically from that compromise.

During the debate, the contrast with Ron Paul could not have been greater. At the very start of the debate, when asked pointedly by CNN’s John King whether Ron Paul actually believed Rick Santorum a “fake,” as Ron Paul’s campaign ads have alleged, Ron Paul unhesitatingly said that, yes, indeed, he called Santorum a fake because in fact Santorum was a fake. And Ron Paul was right. But more importantly, Ron Paul is the perfect example of what Rick Santorum is not. Ron Paul believes to his core in the founding principles of this country. He has never sacrificed his principles for personal or political gain. That notion is appalling to him. He would never do that because he is a person of the utmost integrity. Santorum, on the other hand, exemplifies the kind of Washington politician who has succeeded in bankrupting this country while achieving great personal riches in the process. Ron Paul has pledged his life and honor for the sake of this country’s founding principles. Rick Santorum has devoted himself to, well, himself, and through his votes against principle has proven that he is willing to favor “the team” and himself more than his country.

more at link: http://www.newswithviews.com/Emord/jonathan235.htm

Aratus
03-05-2012, 07:25 AM
mr mitt and dr paul are about to have a very good day?

sailingaway
03-05-2012, 10:35 PM
bump

alucard13mmfmj
03-05-2012, 11:57 PM
i'll be dissapointed if santorum wins a state after Ron Paul slaughtered Santorum at the debates =S.

opinionatedfool
03-06-2012, 06:40 AM
i'll be dissapointed if santorum wins a state after Ron Paul slaughtered Santorum at the debates =S.

He needs to win something for a brokered convention. We probably wll get most of the delegates from his "wins", he will need at least a few if he wants to make it to the convention.