PDA

View Full Version : Incremental Victories

RTsquared
11-13-2007, 02:04 PM
A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step.
-Confucius

It's the small victories that keep me going. I had in-law obligations this weekend, so instead of doing something much more visible, I had to work with what I could.

1) My in-laws are from Nebraska. They saw the Ron Paul stickers on both of our cars and asked me about him. I got a good chance to explain his policy, then (through the magic of TiVo) watched Dr. Paul's appearance on "Face the Nation" with the in-laws. My father-in-law stated that, if he's on the ballot in Nebraska, he will vote for Ron Paul in the Republican primaries.

2) We went out to a major flea market/outdoor bazaar in our area to help entertain the in-laws. I knew I'd be out and about for most of the day, so I made sure to wear my RP T-shirt. One of the proprietors of the BBQ store out there saw my shirt and struck up a conversation with me.

Him: "Do you think Ron Paul really has a chance?"

Me: "Yeah, I do. He raised over $4,000,000 in one day last week, the most of any candidate in either party on a single day."

Him: "Well, I've voted more Democratic than Republican in the past, but the thought of President Hillary terrifies me."

Me: "It terrifies me too. Ron Paul is the only Republican out there that can beat Hillary, believe it or not."

Him: "How's that?"

Me: "Surveys have shown that 70% of Americans disapprove of the war in Iraq. If Hillary runs against any other Republican, she'll be able to play the war card because of her recent opposition to the war. Ron Paul voted against sending troops to Iraq in the first place. He voted against the Patriot Act. Hillary can't play the war card against Ron Paul."

Him: "What about Rudy Giuliani?"

Me: "He'll never get elected. Once conservatives understand his pro-abortion, anti-gun sentiments, they'll stay home in droves."

One more person will investigate the campaign, and just maybe one more person will vote for RP.

3) After the flea market adventure, we went to Grapevine Mills (we wanted to punish our feet, evidently). In one of the stores, I was looking at some shoes when someone I've never met says, "Hey! Ron Paul!" Turns out he's a member of the Fort Worth Meetup group, and he's been out spreading the word as well.

Things like 11/5 and the Philly event are great for the publicity. However, it's the little victories that really keep me going.

constitutional
11-13-2007, 02:10 PM
That's right! I have Ron Paul for President cover on my paper binders, notebooks, and books. People go "Ron paul who?" and I tell them about him. One person recently came back saying "I heard ron paul talk on the radio yesterday. Interesting."

I'm telling ya, he's catching on!