PDA

View Full Version : NBC Ohio Poll

Gravik
03-04-2012, 05:38 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/A_Politics/_Today_Stories_Teases/120304NBCMaristOhioMarch2012.pdf

Santorum: 34%
Romney: 32%
Gingrich: 15%
Paul: 13%

How is it we're polling last in almost all states?????

James Madison
03-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Because we're the same nation that elected Barack Obama and George W. Bush (twice).

sailingaway
03-04-2012, 05:45 PM
Paul's up. G is down. and a new poll came out saying Paul polls best against Obama of any of the GOP in Ohio, I think it might be another part of this same poll. That can't hurt. It would be cool to come in ahead of G who has been campaigning there.

Phyxrgon
03-04-2012, 05:50 PM
i have been trying to walk around with a homemade sign and trying to convince people around west end cincinnati... not getting much people.. but its something rather than nothing..

PolicyReader
03-04-2012, 05:51 PM
http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/MSNBC/Sections/A_Politics/_Today_Stories_Teases/120304NBCMaristOhioMarch2012.pdf

Hum, that's three percent less than where we were Polling in WA before Rons 2nd place finish there (straw poll pop vote) and 1st Place finish in Delegates (local, first step to the conventions) I'll totally take a repeat of WA in OH ;) :cool:

Give me liberty
03-04-2012, 05:53 PM

I thought Santorum has no support in Ohio.

Gravik
03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Pretty sure we thought he didn't have any support at all before voting began.

Keith and stuff
03-04-2012, 05:58 PM

Because just like 4 years ago, 8 years ago, 12 years ago, 16 years ago and so on, freedom is very unpopular.

Keith and stuff
03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Hum, that's three percent less than where we were Polling in WA before Rons 2nd place finish there (straw poll pop vote) and 1st Place finish in Delegates (local, first step to the conventions) I'll totally take a repeat of WA in OH ;) :cool:

Except WA is a caucus and OH is a primary. Caucus voting does represent what average voters think or want. It represents what caucus goers think and want. If ME were a primary, Paul would have been a distant 3rd. The same for WA.

KMX
03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
i have been trying to walk around with a homemade sign and trying to convince people around west end cincinnati... not getting much people.. but its something rather than nothing..

why dont you get some brochures or flyers and pass them out door to door. No offence but walking around with a homeade sign is not going to get anyones vote.

Phyxrgon
03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
why dont you get some brochures or flyers and pass them out door to door. No offence but walking around with a homeade sign is not going to get anyones vote.

i dont have the money for that kind of thing... :/ what i am doing is better than doing nothing, yes?

PolicyReader
03-04-2012, 06:15 PM
Except WA is a caucus and OH is a primary. Caucus voting does represent what average voters think or want. It represents what caucus goers think and want. If ME were a primary, Paul would have been a distant 3rd. The same for WA.

The point wasn't that it's a direct corollary, obviously it's not (break down the demographic types and that becomes painfully obvious even voting style totally aside)
the point is that polls are questionable at best and "we" (the members of this forum) spend far too much time giving them credit they are undo.
Nate Silver mentioned how on average the combined caucus/primary polls for this cycle have been off by 12 points, 12 that is a huge margin in a race like this.
For those who look at the demographics of a state more than the polls Santo having support is no surprise, the thing is Ohio is a very divided place in quite a number of ways (I've lived in more than one city there and have relatives all over the state, I know of which I speak) there are reasons why it's a battleground state and no one is a lock for it (even in the straw poll) at this point.

Since my earlier tongue in cheek method seems to have been inadequate to the task let me rephrase my point in a blunt manner.
Polls are worthless, they are what they are, spend time doing something to improve the situation they try to represent not talking about the numbers.
(or to put it another way for those who'd argue about the validity of polling, the point I'm making is that no matter what results the polls show looking at the poll doesn't change anything so spend your time on taking actions that will improve the situation that way things are better no matter where they started. And frankly that's a whole lot more useful than talking about the latest flex in the highly dubious numbers game of polling -- By the way, I've done some official national polling in my day, I've seen it from the inside, and haven't trusted it much since)

PolicyReader
03-04-2012, 06:18 PM
i dont have the money for that kind of thing... :/ what i am doing is better than doing nothing, yes?
Yes it is better than nothing and thank you for doing it :)
other useful things that cost nothing are staring conversations with receptive friends/family/co-workers about what issues matter most to you and why (can lead into Paul later if all goes well) and getting involved in the Phone From Home program (which is a very easy way to have a really positive impact on the race).

Last thing I'd advise you to do is try and find a local meetup (if there isn't one you can start one :D ) getting set up with that and/or ronpaulcountry.com all fall into the free category as well. Most people in the grassroots don't have a lot of cash (myself included) but we can still totally make a positive impact on this race.
Thank you for being involved.

Tod
03-04-2012, 06:19 PM

because the MSM downplays Paul and because he hasn't won any states yet.

03-04-2012, 06:23 PM

Nah, he will have plenty of support there.

Phyxrgon
03-04-2012, 06:34 PM
Yes it is better than nothing and thank you for doing it :)
other useful things that cost nothing are staring conversations with receptive friends/family/co-workers about what issues matter most to you and why (can lead into Paul later if all goes well) and getting involved in the Phone From Home program (which is a very easy way to have a really positive impact on the race).

my mom would vote for ron if he got the nomination in the general election, she has hard to convince on politics cause she doesn't care.. :( I did convince my dad off of newt gingrich(after hermann dropped out), though, so he is doing as much as he can in VA, but Norfolk is very democrat-heavy and less inclined to go blue republican. my friends at WRC are obamabots... i can't get through to them, they try to get me to see his good work, and i have to refute and debunk everything nicely... and they still support him.

Last thing I'd advise you to do is try and find a local meetup (if there isn't one you can start one :D ) getting set up with that and/or ronpaulcountry.com all fall into the free category as well. Most people in the grassroots don't have a lot of cash (myself included) but we can still totally make a positive impact on this race.
Thank you for being involved.
I did find one on meetup.com, but they are very far up north and i can't take a bus to their main office(i think) cause i don't drive(i'm scared of driving+no license anyway).. if they were in downtown, it'd be really easy to go to them.. and then i got my mom who gets so protective cause i would be going to some strangers and she doesn't like strangers, so i have to let her know where i am on a frequent basis cause she'll flip out and call the police if i don't let her know where i am... o0

ronpaulhawaii
03-04-2012, 07:12 PM

Yes, much better than nothing. Thanks for stepping up and out.

Have you gone to the map at the bottom of http://www.ronpaul2012.com/, clicked on Ohio and called either MaryAnne or Richard? They should be able to help you be even more effective and might be able to help with materials... (FWIW - barebones Blockwalking/Door Knocking can always be done with a clipboard (sign up sheet/registration forms/etc) and a simple bullet point flyer that the voter reads with you at the door...)

Do you use Facebook? This group seems active...

https://www.facebook.com/cincinnatiforronpaul

Ron Paul is bushwhacking a trail back to the track we got off of, it is up to us who follow him closely to widen and level that path so the teeming masses behind us can't miss it and get lost. Paul is leading us to save ourselves, and he is doing that by inspiring us to "get involved". He has jumped fully into the deep end of electoral processes; precinct organizing is great for wading in, in turn you inspire others (and learn heaps at the same time...)...

and the path widens.

And more on-topic

DAMN THE TORPEDOES! FULL. SPEED. AHEAD!

:D

Wesley
03-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Phyxrgon,

If i had the ability to, (or could figure out how to)

I would give you tons of rep!

By getting out there and holding a sign, that makes a big difference!

If we can't get on the news you might as well make yourself visible in your community.

I think the other people on this forum are giving you too little credit honestly.

They may point to other more effective methods of promoting ron paul or working towards the ultimate goal, which is winning??

We need to change the hearts and minds of people!!
Sign holding does work!!
Trust me, i've done a lot of research and practice into this idea

We talk about bumper stickers sometimes, this is an extension of that.

If the polls won't show the extent of Paul's popularity, then we do it ourselves.

PolicyReader
03-04-2012, 10:07 PM
my mom would vote for ron if he got the nomination in the general election, she has hard to convince on politics cause she doesn't care.. :( I did convince my dad off of newt gingrich(after hermann dropped out), though, so he is doing as much as he can in VA, but Norfolk is very democrat-heavy and less inclined to go blue republican. my friends at WRC are obamabots... i can't get through to them, they try to get me to see his good work, and i have to refute and debunk everything nicely... and they still support him.

I did find one on meetup.com, but they are very far up north and i can't take a bus to their main office(i think) cause i don't drive(i'm scared of driving+no license anyway).. if they were in downtown, it'd be really easy to go to them.. and then i got my mom who gets so protective cause i would be going to some strangers and she doesn't like strangers, so i have to let her know where i am on a frequent basis cause she'll flip out and call the police if i don't let her know where i am... o0

Sounds like you're checking your options which is good :D
As others have said door knocking (even with just a clipboard :) ) is great and the Phone From Home program helps quite a bit as well :)
Keep up the good work :)

BigByrd47119
03-04-2012, 10:19 PM

That's because he doesn't have any support in Ohio! There is not a single bumper sticker, yard sign, or shirt from any candidate but Ron Paul on the west side of Columbus!

I can tell you that the optimism is really almost non-existent in Ohio at the moment. No one is talking about it and the news only mentions it in passing...

RDM
03-04-2012, 10:25 PM

Find a meet-up group in Cincinnati and offer to help any way possible. It may not cost you a thing since they may have supplies available. How about start here and make contact with someone. http://www.facebook.com/cincinnatiforronpaul

Also here's a site to print FREE flyers and brochures: http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthread.php?333327-FREE-Ron-Paul-printable-flyers-brochures-booklets-etc.