PDA

View Full Version : NBC/Marist Poll: Ron Paul most electable in Ohio

pauliticalfan
03-04-2012, 11:08 AM
http://maristpoll.marist.edu/34-ohio/

How does the field of Republican candidates fare in Ohio against President Obama?

Obama leads Paul, 48% to 38%. 13% are undecided.
50% support Obama compared with 38% for Romney. 12% are undecided.
50% of registered voters back Obama compared with 36% for Santorum. 14% are undecided.
Obama — 51% — leads Gingrich – 36%. 13% are undecided.

Key points:
Looking at independent voters, Paul — 45% — leads Obama — 37%. Obama leads his other potential Republican challengers among these voters.

Most GOP voters continue to live in a state of delusion and denial by not realizing that Ron Paul is the most electable candidate in the race.

PaulSoHard
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM

Most GOP voters continue to live in a state of delusion and denial by not realizing that Ron Paul is the most electable candidate in the race.
The GOP thinks they're in a world of their own and its only their vote that lifts their nominee to the presidency. Everyone knows, especially the Republican Party, that Obama won the race last year because Independents and young people came out for him.

sailingaway
03-04-2012, 11:10 AM
It would be nice if this got a high profile in Ohio.

that makes Ohio AND Iowa where Ron is best against Obama. Two key swing states. The campaign should put out a release.

kathy88
03-04-2012, 11:13 AM

that makes Ohio AND Iowa where Ron is best against Obama. Two key swing states. The campaign should put out a release.

Agreed. i'm going to stress this every chance I get all over the place.

RPit
03-04-2012, 11:14 AM
We need a swing States ad!

Student Of Paulism
03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
I am always very puzzled how Ron could lead in these kind of Obama polls. Obviously, he isn't doing all that well in Ohio, but um...he's the most electable? Just like in other Obama polls in other states....so yea, they vote for the other trash RINO candidates where they lead in the primary/caucus polls, yet they vote for Ron being the most electable against Obama.

Seriously, can people get any more retarded, is it possible? :rolleyes:

Trigonx
03-04-2012, 11:17 AM
I've been convinced for some time, the Republican Party wants to lose this election.

pauliticalfan
03-04-2012, 11:19 AM
I am always very puzzled how Ron could lead in these kind of Obama polls. Obviously, he isn't doing all that well in Ohio, but um...he's the most electable? Just like in other Obama polls in other states....so yea, they vote for the other trash RINO candidates where they lead in the primary/caucus polls, yet they vote for Ron being the most electable against Obama.

I think what's happening is that some of the idiotic GOP voters are still refusing to vote for Paul/are actually voting for Obama, yet Ron gets so much Independent and cross-over Dem support that he's still the most electable. If Republican voters simply got over themselves and voted for Paul, he would win the general election in a landslide.

sailingaway
03-04-2012, 11:20 AM

they don't vote him 'most electable' they vote for him when faced with a choice between him and Obama. In fact there were two polls the same week in Iowa around November, one polling who GOP thought was 'most electable' and the other polling ALL VOTERS who they would vote for against Obama, and Ron did BEST against Obama in the poll chosing who people would vote for, head to head. Yet Ron was polled 'least electable' regarding PERCEPTION of who could best beat Obama. And THAT is media influence.

matt0611
03-04-2012, 11:22 AM
Man, if Romney is the candidate I think he's going to get destroyed in the general election. People are really buying Obama's populist "we need to make sure everyone pays their fair share and has a fair shot" bullshit it seems.

IterTemporis
03-04-2012, 11:25 AM

Winning the primary is more difficult than winning the general election. You have to realize that this is if he was the republican nominee. We would get the anyone but Obama vote, and because of Paul's broad appeal, we do the very best against Obama. Republicans do not want Paul, but if it was him, then they would probably begrudgingly vote for him, since they don't want Obama, or because some have always voted republican, etc.

What they fail to realize is that without Paul as the nominee, they can't win.

http://www.livinggallery.cc/kitty_small_small.jpg

pauliticalfan
03-04-2012, 11:26 AM
Man, if Romney is the candidate I think he's going to get destroyed in the general election. People are really buying Obama's populist "we need to make sure everyone pays their fair share and has a fair shot" bullshit it seems.

Yeah, seriously. I mean I'm all for earning your wealth honestly, but is it really the best idea to nominate the rich guy worth hundreds of millions of dollars in the midst of a recession? Mitt Romney can't exactly relate to most Americans.

freeforall
03-04-2012, 11:57 AM
My impression in central Ohio is that many people still support Obama because the GOP and Fox are both hated equally and seen as one and the same. People see Dr. Paul as a republican and therefore don't bother to learn about him.

Karsten
03-04-2012, 12:01 PM
I've been convinced for some time, the Republican Party wants to lose this election.

Why do that?

rideurlightning
03-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Ron should have run as a democrat ;)

IDefendThePlatform
03-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Ohio, Iowa AND New Hampshire. The last poll from there had Ron beating Obama and doing better than even Romney:
http://www.prisonplanet.com/poll-ron-paul-is-the-gop%E2%80%99s-best-bet-against-obama-in-new-hampshire.html

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Ron should have run as a democrat ;)

He would have been murdered...

How are you going to go a group of entitled people who think they're owed something and preach to them they aren't owed anything?

alucard13mmfmj
03-04-2012, 01:12 PM
I think what's happening is that some of the idiotic GOP voters are still refusing to vote for Paul/are actually voting for Obama, yet Ron gets so much Independent and cross-over Dem support that he's still the most electable. If Republican voters simply got over themselves and voted for Paul, he would win the general election in a landslide.

Then maybe we should target republican voters who do not support Ron Paul. Democrats/Independents and Ron Paul supporters is nice and all, but I fear there isn't enough of us to win a state in the popular vote. Converting "other" republicans is needed.

WD-NY
03-04-2012, 01:31 PM

I think that if Dr. Paul was a little bit more willing "to play the game" so to speak, and say things that draw attention/coverage, deliver formal speeches that offer GOP voters a clearer and more coherent vision of what Ron Paul's conservatism is all about... I think we'd be winning them over.

So I don't really blame voters at this point. And I certainly don't blame us (the grassroots) since there's only so much we can do. Responsibility, imo, lies almost entirely with Dr. Paul and thus far, his unwillingness to tighten up his message (re: his stubbornness to continue saying the same message over and over again) makes the average republican think twice.

Of course, the media bias hasn't helped, but they would've been forced to even out their coverage eventually if either a.) Ron won a few states and b.) Ron did what Obama did in 2008, which is win the war of ideas through speeches that force even the most partisan progressives in the press to admit that "Dr. Paul challenges us all to think deeply and seriously about the ideas he and his supporters believe so strongly in".

At the end of the day, if you want the "mainstream" to take your candidacy 'seriously', you have to begin behaving 'seriously'. This includes delivering prepared speeches. Words matter - especially when you're POTUS. Santorum has been doing it since winning 3 states. Romney has been doing it since last summer. If they can make the pivot, why can't Ron?

pauliticalfan
03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
I think that if Dr. Paul was a little bit more willing "to play the game" so to speak, and say things that draw attention/coverage, deliver formal speeches that offer GOP voters a clearer and more coherent vision of what Ron Paul's conservatism is all about... I think we'd be winning them over.

So I don't really blame voters at this point. And I certainly don't blame us (the grassroots) since there's only so much we can do. Responsibility, imo, lies almost entirely with Dr. Paul and thus far, his unwillingness to tighten up his message (re: his stubbornness to continue saying the same message over and over again) makes the average republican think twice.

Of course, the media bias hasn't helped, but they would've been forced to even out their coverage eventually if either a.) Ron won a few states and b.) Ron did what Obama did in 2008, which is win the war of ideas through speeches that force even the most partisan progressives in the press to admit that "Dr. Paul challenges us all to think deeply and seriously about the ideas he and his supporters believe so strongly in".

At the end of the day, if you want the "mainstream" to take your candidacy 'seriously', you have to begin behaving 'seriously'. This includes delivering prepared speeches. Words matter - especially when you're POTUS. Santorum has been doing it since winning 3 states. Romney has been doing it since last summer. If they can make the pivot, why can't Ron?

I blame the official campaign more than I do the candidate. What have been the three biggest misconceptions about Ron Paul since the campaign began? He's weak on national defense, he wants to cut Social Security, and he's unelectable.

How much money have we raised since the campaign started? $25 million? How much has gone towards advertisements addressing these three misconceptions? Not a penny. That's what's wrong here.

Origanalist
03-04-2012, 01:37 PM
"Seriously, can people get any more retarded, is it possible?"

Yes, believe or not, it's possible.

Jeremy Tyler
03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I have had so many people tell me that they agree with what Paul says but he is unelectable. Then I site polls like these and they just seem to ignore them. Because the media ignores these polls and keep saying he is unelectable so many others follow.

klamath
03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
I blame the official campaign more than I do the candidate. What have been the three biggest misconceptions about Ron Paul since the campaign began? He's weak on national defense, he wants to cut Social Security, and he's unelectable.

How much money have we raised since the campaign started? $25 million? How much has gone towards advertisements addressing these three misconceptions? Not a penny. That's what's wrong here.
Without a doubt these are the weak areas. Unfortunately the campaign is not focusing on the areas that the communication is failing.
It is like arguing with someone whether snow is water. Technicallly it is. To their mind water is liquid not solid.
"Snow is water."
"No it is not!"
"Snow is water"
"No it is not!"
"Snow is water."
"NO it is not!"
"Snow is water"
"NO IT IS NOT!"
"Snow is water"
"STFU and GET OUT OF HERE!"
"Snow is water that is in the solid form from a lack of heat."
"Well when you say it that way, yeaw."

RP never changes the narative, no matter how obvious it is that he isn't getting through to the majority or the voters. In the snow versus water all he had to do was change how it was presented it to make people understand. He did not change his position at all and stuck to the absolute truth. Had he said right, "snow is a pile of cold feathers" he would have betrayed the truth.

BlackTerrel
03-04-2012, 02:34 PM

Yes.

PolicyReader
03-04-2012, 03:06 PM

Do we have anyone in Ohio who could write letters to the editor?

..I wonder if it would be too much to ask Ben Swann to do a reality check on "swing votes" in the General Election ;)

Rafi
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
In my humble opinion, all this electability stuff against obama really has no bearing in reality - in a good way. I don't have a link to it, but there was an LRC article recently published that explained it pretty well. If Ron is the nominee, there will be a sea-change in America where you actually have one man representing freedom and another government (Obama) in a real concrete way.

The conversation that will occur at dinner tables throughout the country will be so different than a Romney/Obama matchup that all stats of electability at this point in the game will have no relation to if and when there is a real Paul/Obama matchup.

Everything will change dramatically and Ron could win all 50 states. An Obama/Paul matchup is something the country has never encountered qualitatively.

At this point Ron is just another GOP guy to the country. People don't quite understand what's going on because the media can blur everything with inane stupidity like a "Romney/Paul cahoots" and "Limbaugh said this what do you think Ron" and "Are you in it to win it or just spout libertarianism" and other such nonsense.

Even the MSM won't be able to clog the real message with crap when Ron is the nominee.

And the only way it can happen is if by some miracle we stack the convention with enough of our guys to pull off a crazy win.

And yes, we can do it. If God says it's time for his creation to encounter liberty, then we will win.

JK/SEA
03-04-2012, 03:36 PM

truth.

status quo must be maintained