PDA

View Full Version : If we fill the conventions in Georgia and Newt wins and then drops out...

Rafi
03-04-2012, 05:26 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but something occurred to me about Georgia and David Frum's article (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/01/ron-paul-s-delegate-strategy.html) on Ron Paul stacking the delegate conventions there.

Let's assume that Gingrich wins Georgia and gets all or almost all the delegates there. Delegates are bound, 71 I believe. Let's assume that Ron Paul supporters stack the conventions as Frum describes. Then you have 71 Ron Paul supporters bound to vote for Newt at the convention.

Then let's assume that Gingrich drops out and all those bound Ron Paul guys become unbound.

Is this what we're up to over there? If so, that's freaking genius.

There's a saying in the talmud that goes like this:

צדיקים מלאכתם נעשית בידי אחרים - The work of the righteous is done by others for him.

Go Newt! Win us some delegates!

tsetsefly
03-04-2012, 05:32 AM
I hope this is true...

zadrock
03-04-2012, 05:41 AM
Bound for two rounds, unless candidate withdraws or releases them. So yes, the scenario above is true, though it should be noted that GA is proportional, so a newt win would still mean at least some bound delegates for the other three candidates.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/GA-R#0306

wgadget
03-04-2012, 05:57 AM
Just wanting to take this opportunity to say, "HI, smarmy GA GOP. We know you're out there!"

And you know who you are. ;)

Constitutional Paulicy
03-04-2012, 06:03 AM
I heard this about South Carolina. Ever since I first heard it I have wondered how many other so called "sleeper cells" we have planted in these caucuses.

wgadget
03-04-2012, 06:05 AM
In other news, I didn't even attend the local precinct meeting and one of you cool RP guys signed me up to be a delegate again this time around. I got a letter in the mail. Thanks!

Love the part in the notification letter about how now I must stand up to the nominating committee for approval. What's THAT about?

nobody's_hero
03-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Yeah apparently the precinct meeting on Feb. 18th was for large counties. I got called about becoming a delegate and I signed up to show up on March 10th 'cause I live in a smaller county, but I haven't received any details about what to do from here.

I haven't heard anything about a 'nominating committee', so yeah, what's that?

MozoVote
03-04-2012, 08:00 AM
I have to admit, the practice in GA of allowing names to be added to the precinct lists is ripe for abuse. In NC, there is a "sign in sheet" at the door, a "precinct attendance form", and the "delegate sheet". In theory, a name on the delegate sheet that is not on the other two, should cause a credentials challenge. I think the state party gets copies of all these forms.

Admittedly, some NC counties are not doing things by the book. But in my county, the Democratic party got raked over the coals for "lowering the basket" on credentials during a special election. It was so bad that the state Democratic party had to invalidate the results. So our local GOP has become quite particular about getting these forms filled.

tbone717
03-04-2012, 08:00 AM
Not sure if this has been discussed before, but something occurred to me about Georgia and David Frum's article (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2012/03/01/ron-paul-s-delegate-strategy.html) on Ron Paul stacking the delegate conventions there.

Let's assume that Gingrich wins Georgia and gets all or almost all the delegates there. Delegates are bound, 71 I believe. Let's assume that Ron Paul supporters stack the conventions as Frum describes. Then you have 71 Ron Paul supporters bound to vote for Newt at the convention.

Then let's assume that Gingrich drops out and all those bound Ron Paul guys become unbound.

צדיקים מלאכתם נעשית בידי אחרים - The work of the righteous is done by others for him.

71 RP supporters as delegates is a unlikely result. But even if we are able to do well with getting RP supporters elected as delegates to the RNC, any remaining ones that are identified by the Newt campaign in GA as being "his people" could be contacted and asked to support Romney for the nomination at the convention when Newt drops out. So if Romney is 100 delegates short of winning the nomination on the first ballot, Newt could get him closer to the total needed by identifying his GA delegates, getting them to commit to Romney and dropping out of the race.

There are two months between the past primary and the convention, which is more than enough time for the campaigns to work together in order to avoid any sort of convention issues.

ross11988
03-04-2012, 08:07 AM
4 years ago my grandmother told me that a Ron Paul supporter called her Georgia house and asked her to be a Ron Paul delegate. I found this odd because my grandmother is a democrat, I believe she still votes in NY, and she wasn't a Ron Paul supporter. I do know their strategy, but at least they know the system and lets hope they are still organized.

XTreat
03-04-2012, 08:30 AM
Article is correct, we are highly organized, I am co-coordinator for 2 counties and can assure you we have the vast majority of delegates at this point in the process for at least those two counties.

We handed out lists to members from each precinct of supporters just to flood the list with our people so the insiders could not do it with theirs.

DGambler
03-04-2012, 08:31 AM
The GA GOP leadership in my area are the biggest bunch of dirty trick using Neocons @ssholes in the state. They'll use every trick in the book to keep any known Ron Paul supporters from going from district to state.

DRFilms
03-04-2012, 08:41 AM
Article is correct, we are highly organized, I am co-coordinator for 2 counties and can assure you we have the vast majority of delegates at this point in the process for at least those two counties.

We handed out lists to members from each precinct of supporters just to flood the list with our people so the insiders could not do it with theirs.

Yep... pretty much sums it up. I'm a county delegate as well (someone here jumped on me for saying I was a delegate because they haven't been chosen yet.. well, I am... in my district/county. Not a state delegate, those haven't been picked, but a county.. yep. Looking at the letter right now.) and we've had meetups with instructions on what and how to play the game to get ourselves (RP supporters) to fill the spots.

satchelmcqueen
03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
im from ga and all i can say is "we must follow the rules".... see ya saturday GOP!

opinionatedfool
03-04-2012, 10:01 AM

I would have to look at georgia's rules, but I'm pretty sure you are correct.

kathy88
03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Bound for two rounds, unless candidate withdraws or releases them. So yes, the scenario above is true, though it should be noted that GA is proportional, so a newt win would still mean at least some bound delegates for the other three candidates.

http://www.thegreenpapers.com/P12/GA-R#0306

Just so I'm clear on this, if the delegates are released, there isn't any loophole which would allow the Grinch to "delegate" who they go to, correct?

tbone717
03-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Just so I'm clear on this, if the delegates are released, there isn't any loophole which would allow the Grinch to "delegate" who they go to, correct?

Not a loophold per se, but if the delegates are known by the Newt campaign to be genuine Newt supporters (and not merely Paul supporters bound to Newt) he could contact them and ask them to support Romney for the nomination upon his withdraw. With enough commitments in GA and in other states, Santorum and Newt can give Romney more than enough delegates to secure the nomination on the first ballot, and this would be known well in advance of the convention.

tsai3904
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Yeah apparently the precinct meeting on Feb. 18th was for large counties. I got called about becoming a delegate and I signed up to show up on March 10th 'cause I live in a smaller county, but I haven't received any details about what to do from here.

Are you still unclear of what to do? Contact someone here: http://ga4ronpaul.com/Contact.aspx

ichirix
03-04-2012, 11:41 AM

Unless Santorum/Romney don't hit 20% which is very possible.

Keith and stuff
03-04-2012, 12:06 PM
I don't know guys, the latest polls show Paul at 3%, 5% and 7% in GA. I wonder if he is just unpopular or if he is actually disliked by almost all GOP voters in GA. I mean, I just didn't expect to see polls with Paul at 3% at this point in time. It looks like he is getting less popular in GA. I cannot figure out how Paul could get most of Gingrich's delegates with support so low.

XTreat
03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I don't know guys, the latest polls show Paul at 3%, 5% and 7% in GA. I wonder if he is just unpopular or if he is actually disliked by almost all GOP voters in GA. I mean, I just didn't expect to see polls with Paul at 3% at this point in time. It looks like he is getting less popular in GA. I cannot figure out how Paul could get most of Gingrich's delegates with support so low.

Its because the "Gingrich" delegates are really "Ron Paul" delegates.

XTreat
03-04-2012, 12:15 PM
All it takes is 2-3 people per precinct showing up.

wgadget
03-04-2012, 01:41 PM
I quote:

"Nominating committee will conduct interview with potential delegates and alternates to the Congressional District Conventions and/or State Convention at the xxxx County Republican Headquarters....on the following dates:..... Anyone wishing to be a delegate or alternate to the Congressional District Convention and/or State Convention should appear before this committee."

I don't remember having to appear before a nominating committee last time around...but maybe I just don't remember it.

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 01:54 PM
I hope this is their ace...

If we can end up snaking all of Newt's southern delegates we could actually end up with the most, but if most is not 1144 then I'm still not sure it matters because at the end of the day Santorum and Romney would probably team up against us.

How awesome would it be if Mitt ended up having to give us his delegates to stop Santorum?

All unlikely but we can dream...

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 01:57 PM
I quote:

"Nominating committee will conduct interview with potential delegates and alternates to the Congressional District Conventions and/or State Convention at the xxxx County Republican Headquarters....on the following dates:..... Anyone wishing to be a delegate or alternate to the Congressional District Convention and/or State Convention should appear before this committee."

I don't remember having to appear before a nominating committee last time around...but maybe I just don't remember it.

"I'm a Mitt Romney supporter, but i'll support whoever the nominee is. I just want to get Obama out."

That line with a nice haircut and dress pants should get you past any committee.

I see no harm in lying to these people to get the most delegates, they want to play dirty then we should play dirty right back.

DRFilms
03-04-2012, 03:37 PM
Its because the "Gingrich" delegates are really "Ron Paul" delegates.

That's exactly correct and they know it. Here in Gwinnett (one of the largest counties) our mass meeting of potential delegates overwhelmingly voted for Paul on the straw poll even though Newt WAS THERE in person which should have brought more of his people to the meeting. Even with him physically there most of us picked Paul in the straw poll. I'd hate to see what it was like in counties he didn't visit!

We will be in the seats, we'll have the most delegates going to Tampa... the question is will Gingrich drop out before then or will it be a brokered convention? In either case Paul will have more delegates legally. We are not going to do ANYTHING illegal. We're simply going to know the rules, and use them to get ourselves in a position to get behind Ron should circumstances allow it.

ProBlue33
03-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Stealth delegates, I love it, payback is a bitch TPTB.

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 04:05 PM
Stealth delegates, I love it, payback is a bitch TPTB.

Illinois picks 12 unbound delegates at their state convention in early June.

I'm going to go in there and make them believe i'm the biggest Romney supporter they've ever seen...

nobody's_hero
03-04-2012, 04:07 PM
I'm gonna buy a santorum sweater vest to wear to convention, lol.

MozoVote
03-04-2012, 04:12 PM
We have one expat from Georgia in our Meetup. He said the rules at the 2008 GA convention were thoroughly twisted to keep the campaigns from assigning delegates. Even the Huckabee campaign was locked out and the powers-that-be decided everything.

mosquitobite
03-04-2012, 04:18 PM
Wouldn't you want to pretend to be Newt supporters in GA??

MozoVote
03-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Maybe the Newt people are too thick with each other to pull that off.

tbone717
03-04-2012, 04:51 PM

It's a sad state of affairs when RP supporters have to pretend to be supporters of another candidate. Honestly, stuff like this will damage people's credibility if they are found out.

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 05:00 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when RP supporters have to pretend to be supporters of another candidate. Honestly, stuff like this will damage people's credibility if they are found out.

By the time they find out Paul will have the nomination :)

georgiaboy
03-04-2012, 05:03 PM

Agree. You don't have to be overt about it, you can usually keep to yourself and not get trapped in discussions, but outright lying will come back to bite you when the district and state conventions come around, because that's when the real fight for delegates to the national convention takes place, and everyone's loyalties are revealed with open voting.

Remember, you are in the company of grassroots everyday Republicans who we agree with on most issues. There's plenty of common ground to work with.

DRFilms
03-04-2012, 05:04 PM

We don't have to.. Most of Newt supporters are embarrassed they are anyway so they aren't telling anyone. All we are doing is saying "I just want Obama out!" and saying we're undecided. Just like Newt supporters.. heh

wgadget
03-04-2012, 05:04 PM
We have one expat from Georgia in our Meetup. He said the rules at the 2008 GA convention were thoroughly twisted to keep the campaigns from assigning delegates. Even the Huckabee campaign was locked out and the powers-that-be decided everything.

I was there. They had a private rules meeting the night before the convention. If I recall, they forgot to tell us. I also remember that they decided they couldn't take credit cards or some such thing at the registration table. It was just a bad memory, and a thankfully, I don't remember many of the details. I do remember a lot of hollering and cheating.

PolicyReader
03-04-2012, 05:17 PM

shh be vewy vewy quite, we're hunting delegates ;)

And that is a way for things to play out even without a brokered convention. Many bound delegates may also be unbound by a vote at their state convention, or after the first round of balloting at the national convention in tampa (if no one wins outright during that first round).
So there's a short list of three ways that who fills a delegate slot ends up mattering more than who for (in the sense of who the popular vote was for) even if the delegates in question are bound.
Fun fact, some Primary and/or winner take all states have delegate selection processes that are very much like a caucus only with even lower participation and turnout. These events fill the delegate slots with the individuals that are then bound to a candidate based on the pop vote until/unless something causes them (as outlined above) to become unbound. ;)

tbone717
03-04-2012, 05:57 PM
Remember, you are in the company of grassroots everyday Republicans who we agree with on most issues. There's plenty of common ground to work with.

You must be new here. Don't you know all those Republicans showing up are war-mongering, mind numbed jackasses who are doing the bidding for whatever Fox News tells them. There is no common ground, they must be mentally beaten into submission.

/sarcasm

tbone717
03-04-2012, 05:59 PM
We don't have to.. Most of Newt supporters are embarrassed they are anyway so they aren't telling anyone. All we are doing is saying "I just want Obama out!" and saying we're undecided. Just like Newt supporters.. heh

But you are not undecided. And by saying you are, you are lying.

It's funny how we have 30 page threads on this site the minute a candidate or reporter tells a lie, but then we condone it when it suits our purposes.

I am not speaking for the campaign, but I would highly doubt they would condone supporters lying to gain an advantage in the delegate selection process.

wgadget
03-05-2012, 07:10 AM
In my inbox this morning:

Greetings!

Please remember, if you want to be a Cobb County Delegate or Alternate to the Congressional District Convention and/or Georgia Republican Party State Convention, you MUST appear before the Cobb County Republican Party Nominating Committee. Unlike previous years, no one gets a pass to be a Delegate or Alternate without appearing before the Nominating Committee.

Please be aware that completing the form at the Precinct Mass Meeting where you stated you were willing to serve as a Delegate or Alternate to the District and/or State Conventions does not preclude your having to appear before the Nominating Committee. Everyone, including elected officials, party officers and even those who have been going to these conventions for as long as anyone can remember MUST be interviewed by the Nominating Committee to be considered as a Delegate or Alternate this year.

Also, unlike previous years, there will be NO interviews on the morning of the County Convention, March 10th. The committee has been interviewing all weekend and have only two times remaining that you can appear before them . . . Monday, March 5 from 7:00 P.M. until 9:00 P.M. and Wednesday, March 7 from 5:00 P.M. until 7:00 P.M.

You do not have to be a Delegate or Alternate to the County Convention to be considered for a Delegate or Alternate slot to either or both the District and State Conventions.

If you have already been interviewed by the Nominating Committee, please disregard this reminder.

Best Regards,
Joe Dendy
Chairman
Cobb County Republican Party

wgadget
03-05-2012, 07:17 AM
http://runronpaul.com/supporter-video/ron-paul-supporters-in-oklahoma-fight-back-and-win/

gte811i
03-05-2012, 08:37 AM
http://runronpaul.com/supporter-video/ron-paul-supporters-in-oklahoma-fight-back-and-win/

sent you a PM.

LostNFoundNTx
03-05-2012, 08:42 AM
Been wondering, under Robert's Rules of Order and party rules, can a supermajority vote at the state convention change the rules and fully unbind all delegates headed to the national convention?

tbone717
03-05-2012, 08:45 AM
Been wondering, under Robert's Rules of Order and party rules, can a supermajority vote at the state convention change the rules and fully unbind all delegates headed to the national convention?

Best thing is to look at your state GOP rules first and see.

And let's be realistic here. Do you honestly think that if a group of Paul supporters overwhelm the system in such a manner, and use every loophole in the rules to do something as you suggest that the average voter is going to look at that and suddenly there will be this wave of support for Paul that will catapult him to the White House?

The primary and caucus system is set up so that pretty much anyone can throw their hat into the ring, and they let the voters determine who is the right candidate to be on the ballot in November. If you cannot win at the polls, what makes anyone think that the American people would support a candidate who found some loopholes and got himself on the ticket - without ever winning a single contest?

LostNFoundNTx
03-05-2012, 08:52 AM
Best thing is to look at your state GOP rules first and see.

Been through them several times. Not exactly an issue that's presented itself before so it's hard to find anything definitive on the matter.

Kcannell
03-05-2012, 09:42 AM

Greetings!

Please remember, if you want to be a Cobb County Delegate or Alternate to the Congressional District Convention and/or Georgia Republican Party State Convention, you MUST appear before the Cobb County Republican Party Nominating Committee. Unlike previous years, no one gets a pass to be a Delegate or Alternate without appearing before the Nominating Committee.

Please be aware that completing the form at the Precinct Mass Meeting where you stated you were willing to serve as a Delegate or Alternate to the District and/or State Conventions does not preclude your having to appear before the Nominating Committee. Everyone, including elected officials, party officers and even those who have been going to these conventions for as long as anyone can remember MUST be interviewed by the Nominating Committee to be considered as a Delegate or Alternate this year.

Also, unlike previous years, there will be NO interviews on the morning of the County Convention, March 10th. The committee has been interviewing all weekend and have only two times remaining that you can appear before them . . . Monday, March 5 from 7:00 P.M. until 9:00 P.M. and Wednesday, March 7 from 5:00 P.M. until 7:00 P.M.

You do not have to be a Delegate or Alternate to the County Convention to be considered for a Delegate or Alternate slot to either or both the District and State Conventions.

If you have already been interviewed by the Nominating Committee, please disregard this reminder.

Best Regards,
Joe Dendy
Chairman
Cobb County Republican Party

Wow. See what we're dealing with, here? That isn't being done in every county, and is a clear "addendum" to the state GOP rules and convention call. Where did they make this decision? Did they have a quorom? Was the vote achieved by a 2/3's majority (since it limits the rights of attending delegates to the county convention)? Did they have some kind of special executive session to determine this, and are there minutes to their meeting?

Schenanigans. And some people want to talk about us being "dishonest" because we don't want to identify as a Paul supporter. Can you blame us? This is a war for the heart and soul of the GOP, for what it means to be a conservative. They're using every advantage they have, and so will we.

Kcannell
03-05-2012, 09:46 AM
Understand that by requiring potential delegates to appear beforehand before a nominating committee has the effect of disallowing nominations from the floor at the County Convention. So if this works and is allowed, any advantage you may have had from having the majority at County Convention is negated, unless you have enough to get a 2/3rd's majority.

Paul or not at all
03-05-2012, 09:47 AM

Contact your county GOP to find out where it will be.

and add me:

https://www.facebook.com/david.griffin2

Kcannell
03-05-2012, 09:56 AM

So what happens if your County Convention delegates vote against their slate of proposed delegates the morning of the convention? Does your county just not send any delegates? If you have to be interviewed by the nominating committee to become a delegate, and they're not doing any interviews the morning of the Convention, what then if you don't accept their slate?

There's a reason this method isn't in the state rules. It's stupid and could result in your County not being represented at all, Ron Paul or establishment either one, at District and State.

Paul or not at all
03-05-2012, 09:57 AM
But you are not undecided. And by saying you are, you are lying.

It's funny how we have 30 page threads on this site the minute a candidate or reporter tells a lie, but then we condone it when it suits our purposes.

I am not speaking for the campaign, but I would highly doubt they would condone supporters lying to gain an advantage in the delegate selection process.

Just say you want Obama out, I doubt they will ask you who you support tho.

XTreat
03-05-2012, 10:04 AM
I am interested in how the Cobb country convention turns out.

cmo4ever
03-05-2012, 10:15 AM
"I will support the nominee, and want to vote for whoever has the best chance of removing Barrack Obama". Nothing in that statement is a lie. The nominee is not selected until August, and Paul is in the best position to do so. Neither of those statements is a lie.

deputydon
03-05-2012, 10:56 AM
"I will support the nominee, and want to vote for whoever has the best chance of removing Barrack Obama". Nothing in that statement is a lie. The nominee is not selected until August, and Paul is in the best position to do so. Neither of those statements is a lie.

In my case, that would be a lie. For two reasons actually, one and this is just a technicality since I do believe Ron Paul has the best chance to beat Obama, but ONE Poll shows Ron Paul ahead of Obama. The RCP average has him with a third best chance. So if you are going to come up with excuses to not lie, try to not single ONE Poll out.

Secondly, if Ron Paul isn't the Nominee, I'm voting for Barack Obama. I'm sorry, but my biggest Ron Paul policy that gives him my endorsement is his Foreign Policy. At least Obama is attempting, not well, but attempting, to stop a war with Iran. Santorum wants to start a war with the world, Newt wants to overthrow Cuba, and Romney is all about doubling our military spending and avoids the FACTS that Obama has increased military spending every year he has been in office. So to double what Obama has already increased, will bankrupt us even quicker. The FACT is that I'm willing to lose part of my freedom temporarily if that means giving the country overall a better chance to still be here in 2016. If Romney is President I get the feeling this country will pull a Greece in only a couple years. If Santorum is President, I get the feeling we actually will get nuked for invading Religious beliefs of foreign countries. As for Newt, at this point I'm believing Bill Clinton would visit him as a kind gesture in the Oval Office only to walk in on him getting a blow job from Monica Lewinsky's daughter or something. I can see it now. Bill Clinton opens the door and walks in, "Hey there Newt, I was just coming to congrat........" *Slowly Bill's mouth begins to form a large smile as he slowly reaches into his pant's pocket, pulls out his blackberry and quickly snaps a photo* Bill then shouts, "I got you now, you hypocritical son of a bitch" as he quickly runs out of the room.

Plus he would also be worse than Obama.