PDA

View Full Version : If you can run for something and you aren't, you are failing the liberty movement.

chris41336
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
This is heavy, but true: Dr. Paul won't be running again. He may not even be alive too much longer, as sad as it is. In many ways, he is a prophet and he is leaving the future of the movement that he started in our hands.

However, after months of this it is very clear that the only way this will happen is not by simply persuading most voting Americans to come to our side - there are people with WAY too much at stake in power to let that matter. The only way that we can really make this movement last is to us, ourselves, enter into those very positions that we sit here and deride for being "fradulent" so that we can KNOW that there is a liberty-loving (former) Paul supporter on the other end who would never let that happen.

I have posted many threads like this that have gone basically ignored, for the reason being (I think) that too many people are afraid to take that step into ACTUALLY doing something. Others simply cannot run for office, or aren't good public speakers, etc. That's fine.

But if you can run for political office, ANY political office, and you aren't doing it, then you are failing this movement and you are failing Dr. Paul. Dr. Paul keeps saying to us how excited he is the youth are getting into this message. There is a reason for that, To shift this country, you need those in power to shift as well. If none of the Paul supporters even come out to VOTE, let alone run for something, that can't happen.

I am running to be both a delegate as well as a County Committeeman for my County GOP in my home state this year. Inspired, of course, by Dr. Paul and his message. Committeemen meet three times a year, plus one meeting to help choose delegates. That is almost no time commitment, anyone can do it, AND you can run for/vote for County GOP chairman as a committeeman. These are all positions that are small, out of the public eye, yet significant and winnable.

I'm sorry for being harsh and using "failing", but frankly (and this doesn't go for all of you. You know who you are because there are alot of very politically active people on here) its time for many Paul supporters to stop simply being armchair revolutionaries and take their care for changing this country to the next level.

Then, when we control the state GOPs...then, we win.

chris41336
03-04-2012, 12:42 PM
No replies, huh? I guess nobody wants to run for anything :(

tbone717
03-04-2012, 12:47 PM
+rep for the thread.

And if someone cannot run for office, at the very least they should be actively involved & respected in their community so that they can have an influence over others. Why be only one vote, when if you are involved in your community you can personally deliver hundreds of votes?

azxd
03-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Dr. Paul is not the movement.
Therefore no one is failing him ... But I get what you're saying, just the same.

azxd
03-04-2012, 12:51 PM
IMO it's about failing yourself, if you are able to, but do not get involved.

tbone717
03-04-2012, 12:57 PM
IMO it's about failing yourself, if you are able to, but do not get involved.

Good point, I was going to edit my post but you said it well. This is not about Ron Paul, it is about the libertarian-conservative principles that he and many others espouse.

chris41336
03-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Good point, I was going to edit my post but you said it well. This is not about Ron Paul, it is about the libertarian-conservative principles that he and many others espouse.

I agree, which is why my OP started with "failing the liberty movement" and not Dr. Paul. However, this is "Ron Paul forums" so I had to include him in there lol.

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope that there are those who are heeding this call and get more involved in the politics of this country. Don't let the smarmy individuals who run it now remain there forever and just keep fighting against them. Take the helm ourselves. That is how we will win.

azxd
03-04-2012, 01:01 PM
+rep for the thread.

And if someone cannot run for office, at the very least they should be actively involved & respected in their community so that they can have an influence over others. Why be only one vote, when if you are involved in your community you can personally deliver hundreds of votes?
And back at you, this is well worded, and insightful of how influental people can be, even if not running for office.

Kudos to you !!!

azxd
03-04-2012, 01:03 PM
I agree, which is why my OP started with "failing the liberty movement" and not Dr. Paul. However, this is "Ron Paul forums" so I had to include him in there lol.

Nonetheless, I sincerely hope that there are those who are heeding this call and get more involved in the politics of this country. Don't let the smarmy individuals who run it now remain there forever and just keep fighting against them. Take the helm ourselves. That is how we will win.
If we were not each individually involved in our own way, we'd not be here ;)

Suggestion,
Rewrite the OP and get it in your local papers opinion section.

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 01:07 PM
This is heavy, but true: Dr. Paul won't be running again. He may not even be alive too much longer, as sad as it is. In many ways, he is a prophet and he is leaving the future of the movement that he started in our hands.

However, after months of this it is very clear that the only way this will happen is not by simply persuading most voting Americans to come to our side - there are people with WAY too much at stake in power to let that matter. The only way that we can really make this movement last is to us, ourselves, enter into those very positions that we sit here and deride for being "fradulent" so that we can KNOW that there is a liberty-loving (former) Paul supporter on the other end who would never let that happen.

I have posted many threads like this that have gone basically ignored, for the reason being (I think) that too many people are afraid to take that step into ACTUALLY doing something. Others simply cannot run for office, or aren't good public speakers, etc. That's fine.

But if you can run for political office, ANY political office, and you aren't doing it, then you are failing this movement and you are failing Dr. Paul. Dr. Paul keeps saying to us how excited he is the youth are getting into this message. There is a reason for that, To shift this country, you need those in power to shift as well. If none of the Paul supporters even come out to VOTE, let alone run for something, that can't happen.

I am running to be both a delegate as well as a County Committeeman for my County GOP in my home state this year. Inspired, of course, by Dr. Paul and his message. Committeemen meet three times a year, plus one meeting to help choose delegates. That is almost no time commitment, anyone can do it, AND you can run for/vote for County GOP chairman as a committeeman. These are all positions that are small, out of the public eye, yet significant and winnable.

I'm sorry for being harsh and using "failing", but frankly (and this doesn't go for all of you. You know who you are because there are alot of very politically active people on here) its time for many Paul supporters to stop simply being armchair revolutionaries and take their care for changing this country to the next level.

Then, when we control the state GOPs...then, we win.

A fucking Men brother...

If we devoted as much time as we do to Paul's campaign to the other liberty campaigns out there we could make a real difference.

The way we win in the long run is by taking back control of the GOP.

The POTUS is all well and good, but without a Senate and House to back a Republican-Libertarian President then they'd just obstruct him for four years, ruin the country, and give us a bad name.

alucard13mmfmj
03-04-2012, 01:07 PM
Problem is that we have resistance in supporting a "new ron paul" candidate that doesn't share 100% of the same views that we or Ron Paul has =P.

PineGroveDave
03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm considering running for District Supervisor in 2 years. Not sure how successful I'll be seeing how all the board members have families in the county back to the Gold Rush days (we live in the Mother Lode of the Sierra), but someone has to go up against the "Old Guard".

eleganz
03-04-2012, 01:08 PM
running for GOP central committee

chris41336
03-04-2012, 01:11 PM
running for GOP central committee

+rep

State level? I'm going for county first...not sure how much of an impact I will have but I want to work my way up. Infiltrate, if you will ;)

tsai3904
03-04-2012, 01:18 PM

There are a lot of states where you can run as a Precinct Committeeman and we need all our supporters to do so if we ever plan on taking over the GOP. These are the easiest positions to win because a lot of the positions go vacant because no one files for the position.

Here are some states where you can run for the precinct position:

Arizona - Precinct Committeeman
California - Member of County Central Committee
Illinois - Precinct Committeeman
Indiana - Precinct Committeeman
Michigan - Precinct Delegate
Montana - Precinct Committeeman
Texas - Precinct Chairman
Washington - Precinct Committee Officer
Wyoming - Precinct Committeeman

azxd
03-04-2012, 01:20 PM
A fucking Men brother...

If we devoted as much time as we do to Paul's campaign to the other liberty campaigns out there we could make a real difference.

The way we win in the long run is by taking back control of the GOP.

The POTUS is all well and good, but without a Senate and House to back a Republican-Libertarian President then they'd just obstruct him for four years, ruin the country, and give us a bad name.
IMO the way to win is to destroy the 2 party system of divisions.
Get rid of it's dominance over peoples thoughts.

All the,
Anyone but someone else, is a major problem ... Half the people (speculation) voted for Obama because they assumed the mantra of anyone but Bush, and in 2012, I speculate that half the voters will be voting for anyone but Obama.

The 2 party system creates and promotes these divisions.

chris41336
03-04-2012, 01:23 PM

All the,
Anyone but someone else, is a major problem ... Half the people (speculation) voted for Obama because they assumed the mantra of anyone but Bush, and in 2012, I speculate that half the voters will be voting for anyone but Obama.

Sadly, the only way to destroy the two party system is to infiltrate them. I have dreams of either myself or another Paul supporter one day becoming president as a Republican/Democrat and then once in office denouncing the party and running for re-election as an independent given how easily incumbent reelection rates are.

NoOneButPaul
03-04-2012, 01:26 PM

All the,

You're 100% correct, the problem is the only way to do this is to make another party and if we do that we give the Dems all the control.

Unfortunately taking back the GOP is best option we currently have...

Maybe once we take back the GOP and the POTUS we can amend the constitution to say that political parties will no longer exist. But trying to make a new party will get us nowhere fast...

revned
03-04-2012, 01:31 PM
I will gladly run for some sort of office once I move to my desired location (north California/ maybe new mexico). But I am currently working on getting my life together with school and don't particularly like the area currently live in. So, I see no need to establish a political base in my life at the moment. But I'm definitely looking forward to maybe running for senate in a few years.

heavenlyboy34
03-04-2012, 01:35 PM
Politics is the world's second oldest profession, and has a lot in common with the first. ;)

chris41336
03-04-2012, 01:36 PM
I will gladly run for some sort of office once I move to my desired location (north California/ maybe new mexico). But I am currently working on getting my life together with school and don't particularly like the area currently live in. So, I see no need to establish a political base in my life at the moment. But I'm definitely looking forward to maybe running for senate in a few years.

I'm really not sure about this (and someone else can chime in), but I think it is better to start smaller just to build up a rapport with local GOP members. County committeeman, for example, is a good spot because you meet current committeemen and help get municipal and county positions elected. People get to know you. You can run for County GOP chair. All these things you can use to build your rapport so that one day when you run for Senate you will have the backing of some powerful people who met you along the way. As long as you don't piss them off, of course =).

It's hard to just jump right into a race like senate. Not to mention you would need the backing of the party and they won't give it to someone who hasn't been a loyal member.

If I am wrong about any of that fill me in.

flaversaver
03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
I'm very interested in this and hoping someone can provide some info for my situation.

I live in San Diego, CA and wouldn't at all mind a public position that is not heavy on the time commitment (in the future I'd love to run for a higher political position). Being a small business owner, I'm sure you can imagine that I'm working twice as hard in this economy and free time has really become a relic from a former era.

One other caveat is that back in my early twenties I did something stupid (theft) and have a misdemeanor on my record. While it is expunged and I consider myself to have the utmost of integrity now (largely thanks to the influence of the good Dr.), I would like any guidance as to any limitations this may have.

Thanks to all and I hope many of you are taking this post seriously. Props to OP.

neverseen
03-04-2012, 01:55 PM
www.libertytakeover2012.com I'm helping do my part. We are taking over florida politics.

ShaneEnochs
03-04-2012, 02:00 PM
I would, but it takes money.

chris41336
03-04-2012, 02:01 PM
I would, but it takes money.

Not if you start small. County Committeemen often run unopposed.

tbone717
03-04-2012, 02:06 PM
Problem is that we have resistance in supporting a "new ron paul" candidate that doesn't share 100% of the same views that we or Ron Paul has =P.

Some people will have to come to the realization that there are different branches of libertarianism, and that while we may disagree on an issue or two, we agree on far more than we disagree with. If we pigeon hole ourselves into one specific way of thinking we will be no more effective than the minor parties.

chris41336
03-06-2012, 09:07 PM
I'm going to bump this because it is a high volume night and THIS is the message that we need to get out if the liberty movement is to ever really take back this country. Especially given the results tonight.

Ray
03-06-2012, 09:14 PM
Accidentally got elected precinct chair during my caucus last month :(

GeorgiaAvenger
03-06-2012, 09:19 PM
I wish I could, but I can't. I wish I had money, but I don't.

Still I try to heavily promote liberty candidates as often as possible. They are the real keys to winning, and there is so little activism barely any are looking like winners at this point.

jbauer
03-06-2012, 09:33 PM
bump

tbone717
03-06-2012, 09:36 PM
I wish I could, but I can't. I wish I had money, but I don't.

Still I try to heavily promote liberty candidates as often as possible. They are the real keys to winning, and there is so little activism barely any are looking like winners at this point.

Visit rlc.org. There is a list of endorsed candidates, and current elected officials (many of whom are up for reelection or seeking higher offices). The site is a mess though, they need to work on it

Johncjackson
03-06-2012, 09:37 PM
Damn, this post and replies pretty much skewered most of the "heroes" of Liberty.

centure7
03-06-2012, 09:40 PM
The OP is wrong. There many types of activism that I know about. Running for office is only one of them, political activism. What Paul is doing is important but there are MORE IMPORTANT kinds of activism that people should involve them self in. Think about what Paul talks about: competition for the dollar. Personally I'm extensively involved in opening up competition to the US dollar though promoting alternative currencies. I'm not running for office because I think that is much more important. I'm not going to end the Federal Reserve. But I can offer people ways to do their part to end it through alternative currencies. While what Paul is doing is very important, the more important thing to do is work on alternatives to the system that is collapsing.

Working with charity programs and self-sufficiency education programs to replace the collapsing government welfare is very important. Civil disobedience can be important. Encouraging liberty-oriented business is important. Running for office is one of many very important tasks that must be done before the financial collapse of the USA in a few years down the road. Having weak charity programs and lack of agricultural skills could lead to millions of starvation deaths.

chris41336
03-06-2012, 09:44 PM
The OP is wrong. There many types of activism that I know about. Running for office is only one of them, political activism. What Paul is doing is important but there are MORE IMPORTANT kinds of activism that people should involve them self in. Think about what Paul talks about: competition for the dollar. Personally I'm extensively involved in opening up competition to the US dollar though promoting alternative currencies. I'm not running for office because I think that is much more important. I'm not going to end the Federal Reserve. But I can offer people ways to do their part to end it through alternative currencies. While what Paul is doing is very important, the more important thing to do is work on alternatives to the system that is collapsing.

Working with charity programs and self-sufficiency education programs to replace the collapsing government welfare is very important. Civil disobedience can be important. Encouraging liberty-oriented business is important. Running for office is one of many very important tasks that must be done before the financial collapse of the USA in a few years down the road. Having weak charity programs and lack of agricultural skills could lead to millions of starvation deaths.

I disagree fervently. Those things are important, but at the end of the day if a government wants to take away your liberties it won't matter how many activists you have. The only way to keep government honest is to keep honest people in government. The only way to do that is to have them run.

Cabal
03-06-2012, 09:49 PM
People have been running for office in an attempt to shrink government for over 200 years. How's that working out? Just saying.

tnvoter
03-06-2012, 09:59 PM
oop

chris41336
03-06-2012, 10:12 PM
People have been running for office in an attempt to shrink government for over 200 years. How's that working out? Just saying.

Ron Paul worked out pretty well.

Do you have any better suggestions? Just wait around until we don't even have the option to run anymore?

centure7
03-07-2012, 12:12 AM
I disagree fervently. Those things are important, but at the end of the day if a government wants to take away your liberties it won't matter how many activists you have. The only way to keep government honest is to keep honest people in government. The only way to do that is to have them run.You're putting the cart before the horse. When the US invaded Iraq, what was the plan? Invade Iraq, take out Saddam, then figure out what to do next. No, they were supposed to figure out what they wanted to replace Saddam with first, before the attack began. First you decide on an alternative or at the very least develop the groundwork for that alternative to the government program, and only then do you work to actually sever the program.

First you develop an at least slightly tested alternative to the US Dollar, then you end the Fed. While Paul can point to the past where programs have worked, it makes much more sense for him to be able to something that works better immediately and in the present. By first developing the alternatives, it is an easy sell once in office.

First establish viable charity programs, then end socialist welfare programs. After the alternatives are created, then political office becomes important, but only afterwards. Thats why I'm saying that creating the alternatives is more important than running for office.

I don't consider the number of activists to even be relevant, and I don't even call myself an activist or "have" any activists. Whats relevant to me is what government programs have realistic alternatives that are provable to be ready for action *when* the government collapses.

When the Nashua Telegraph visited the 2012 Liberty Forum, what did the reporter find interest in? The weapons table and the alternative currency table for the most part. People like alternatives they can see and feel before they get on board with the cause.

Ron Paul is getting more people on board for liberty and doing more than anybody else because he is an office holder, but I think at the big picture level the more important roles are people like Bernard Von Nothaus, founder of the Liberty Dollar, who lay the groundwork for our everyday lives in the future. After the US collapses, that will be when friendly people in office is one of the most important things because all the necessary prep work to prove the solutions to be implemented should by done and in working order by that point. All the liberty candidates will have to do is point a finger and say, "Hey, this stupid socialist government fails just as predicted, and these alternative over here that you can see, touch, feel, and EAT, are PROVEN to work, so lets go to what we know works now and immediately instead of living in Failville for the rest of our lives". Its a lot more powerful than simply saying "Social Security should be privatized now that it has gone bankrupt and libertarian ideas will work great."