PDA

View Full Version : A bit surprised to read this quote from Dr. Paul

realtonygoodwin
03-03-2012, 07:55 PM
http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0312/73573.html

“The Republican candidates have some disagreements – I certainly have some disagreements with the others! – but we all agree that it’s a good idea to get rid of our current president and put in a Republican,” Paul said.

“It’s an important day to start the process to make sure that we no longer have Obama [as] president next year.”

This is pretty much the first time I have heard him say something like this. Depending on how you view things, this is either a disappointing thing or an encouraging thing to hear from him.

Interesting article overall, too. Worth a read, IMO.

pauliticalfan
03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
Starting to sound more like a typical con, which is not good in my opinion. Number one goal should be to win the nomination. If we can't do that, we screw the GOP in November, make them pay for what they've done to us, and take it over in 2016.

JJ2
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM

This is pretty much the first time I have heard him say something like this. Depending on how you view things, this is either a disappointing thing or an encouraging thing to hear from him.

Ron Paul is now a "team player"?!

What is this day coming to...

RPit
03-03-2012, 07:58 PM
If Ron endorses Romney, he will put a stain on his impeccable record. Don't do it Dr. Paul you are a hero that even if doesn't win needs to stay pure!

Ronulus
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM

Trying to appeal to a broader base perhaps. He is not a 'team player' though.

Okie RP fan
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Don't read too much into it, everyone.

Could be for a variety of reasons, such as grabbing quick votes.

OR perhaps Paul truly believes that a Republican will slow down the damage just enough to ensure the Liberty Movement gets a chance to retake this country.

j3nn
03-03-2012, 08:00 PM
I really hope that's a misquote. If it's not, I am deeply disappointed.

The Gold Standard
If he endorses Romney I won't write him in. I'll vote for Johnson or not at all.

Trigonx
Trying to appeal to a broader base perhaps. He is not a 'team player' though.

I agree with this. I see it as him as a wolf putting on sheep clothing to not scare the sheep.

opinionatedfool
03-03-2012, 08:01 PM

Give him a break. Its one of the best things he's said, but its contrary to most of the other things he's said. He probably spoke without thinking.

Philosophy_of_Politics
03-03-2012, 08:02 PM
As said, don't read too much into this one. None of the candidates hold a candle to Paul, however, they truly aren't as bad as Obama. You have to remember, that none of the other Republican candidates have actually done things like assassinating US Citizens.

The Goat
03-03-2012, 08:03 PM
I think a brick would be better than Obama, I also think a brick would be better than the other republicans. So I could care less who won if paul isn't their.

PierzStyx
03-03-2012, 08:04 PM

OR perhaps Paul truly believes that a Republican will slow down the damage just enough to ensure the Liberty Movement gets a chance to retake this country.

Agreed. People are just to ready to believe MSM crud and get panicky.

JJ2
03-03-2012, 08:04 PM
Give him a break. Its one of the best things he's said, but its contrary to most of the other things he's said. He probably spoke without thinking.

One of the best things he's said and contrary to most things he's said? That's sounds contradictory, please explain.

NoOneButPaul
03-03-2012, 08:05 PM

That's exactly what this is.

He's got be careful though, this is the type of stuff that will disenfranchise the base to a point it can't go to...

michael6186
03-03-2012, 08:06 PM
If Ron endorses Romney, he will put a stain on his impeccable record. Don't do it Dr. Paul you are a hero that even if doesn't win needs to stay pure!

Ron won't endorse Romney unless he agrees to adopt some of Ron's policies (Audit the Fed maybe?).

klamath
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
Looks like he is setting the stage for his son. Good for him. Doesn't mean I will vote for whoever he endorses just like the last time I didn't.

GeorgiaAvenger
03-03-2012, 08:07 PM
He is right of course. There are some that dangerously dismiss the harsh reality that Obama is far worse than Romney, but at their own peril.

JJ2
03-03-2012, 08:08 PM

I might actually agree with that if the Republican had Ron Paul as VP holding his feet to the fire.

Okie RP fan
03-03-2012, 08:08 PM

He's got be careful though, this is the type of stuff that will disenfranchise the base to a point it can't go to...

I agree. Paul really needs to have a sit down broadcast to help us plan and tell us what he would like to see happen when this election crap is done. We will need a direction on where to go, and we need to hear how much time Dr. Paul thinks this country has left.

And, who knows, people? Perhaps a high profile spot awaits one of the Pauls in the Romney administration and Romney really tries to adopt some of our policies.

I don't like Romney, and I don't think we should take it easy on him, but, the machine is in place. We have to take what we can when we can.

All speculation.

notsure
03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
This was something he said earlier on in the campaign, probably even back when Cain was still running. Back when everyone was saying it. I could understand him saying this in order to not turn off potential supporters from future failing campaigns.

The Gold Standard
03-03-2012, 08:11 PM

I doubt it because he would be completely wrong. New wars are just as fiscally destructive as new entitlements, and no Republican or Democrat gives a fuck about our civil liberties. Hopefully he was just pandering to the buffoons who vote for the team instead of the man.

03-03-2012, 08:11 PM
Ron Paul endorsed a large slate of congressional candidates in 2010, including a lot of establishment Republicans like Jeb Hensarling and Spencer Bachus, who became power players in the new Congress. Result?

Paul became chair of the Monetary Policy Subcommittee.

Ron Paul is a master politician, he just happens to be an honest one. He knows what he's doing, and I think we should trust him and not be so willing to throw him overboard just because he plays politics very well. He wouldn't have gotten this far, nor re-elected 12 times in Congress, if he didn't know politics.

So let's trust the good doctor... we have so far, and he hasn't let us down.

francisco
03-03-2012, 08:13 PM
none of the other Republican candidates have actually done things like assassinating US Citizens yet.

fify

I especially don't get a warm fuzzy feeling about Santorum.

scottstew
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
If it's not Dr. Paul I say let's re-elect Obama to hasten the destruction of the republic ... maybe it will happen rapidly enough that the sheeple get punched in the gut hard enough to awake them from their hypnotic state.

BlackTerrel
03-03-2012, 08:14 PM
How many interviews do you think Ron Paul gives in a typical month? Hundreds?

So within all of them you find a two sentence snippet that you think isn't perfectly thought out. Seems irrelevant.

We know what his stand is. Let's get on with it.

LibertyEagle
03-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Geez people, if Dr. Paul hasn't proven himself to you yet, I don't really know how he ever can.

Don't examine every damn word printed by the media. If Paul's 20+ year voting record doesn't prove to you what he is all about, then you have some studying to do.

03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Ron Paul endorsed a large slate of congressional candidates in 2010, including a lot of establishment Republicans like Jeb Hensarling and Spencer Bachus, who became power players in the new Congress. Result?

Paul became chair of the Monetary Policy Subcommittee.

Ron Paul is a master politician, he just happens to be an honest one. He knows what he's doing, and I think we should trust him and not be so willing to throw him overboard just because he plays politics very well. He wouldn't have gotten this far, nor re-elected 12 times in Congress, if he didn't know politics.

So let's trust the good doctor... we have so far, and he hasn't let us down.

I liked most of what Bachus was saying when Bernake was testifying before congress. I can see why Ron endorsed him.

j3nn
03-03-2012, 08:19 PM
Maybe he was making narcissistic references to himself winning being he is the only real Republican; the rest are neo-cons. With my rose-tinted glasses, that's how I'll choose to see it for now because I'd be devastated if he endorsed any of the other GOP candidates. We've put in so much time, effort, and money to help the cause of liberty and to settle for any old Republican? No thanks. The cause is bigger than Ron Paul. I'd simply lick my proverbial wounds and go on with others who wouldn't settle.

I would hope that after this, if Ron Paul doesn't win the GOP nomination, that he would abandon the party like he attempted to in 1988. What does he need them for? He could win as a third party, but is he just going to end it there and endorse Romney? Strategic or not, I'd still be sad.

03-03-2012, 08:22 PM
I liked most of what Bachus was saying when Bernake was testifying before congress. I can see why Ron endorsed him.

Bachus isn't that bad, but he's establishment -- supported TARP, etc.

He's also the chair of the Financial Committee... he appoints the chair of the Monetary Policy Subcommittee.

Ron Paul's not a dumbass, he understands the game. And plays it when he needs to for the benefit of liberty.

TheGrinch
03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
Well, considering how unwaveringly truthful the good doctor has been about literally everything else, then how about we give him a free pass for realizing that beating Obama is issue #1 to most Republican voters.

I mean, yes it's probably a lie that he sees any republican as much better than Obama, but make no mistake, this is a completely harmless white lie compared to how the other candidates are misrepresenting themselves.

klamath
03-03-2012, 08:24 PM
This was something he said earlier on in the campaign, probably even back when Cain was still running. Back when everyone was saying it. I could understand him saying this in order to not turn off potential supporters from future failing campaigns.
Doesn't sound that way to me. They were specifically talking about what he was wearing and what he said. I think he said that today.

thoughtomator
03-03-2012, 08:25 PM
LOL... read the quote closely and carefully again. He doesn't say any Republican, he says a Republican.

not an accident

Perry
03-03-2012, 08:27 PM
Starting to sound more like a typical con, which is not good in my opinion. Number one goal should be to win the nomination. If we can't do that, we screw the GOP in November, make them pay for what they've done to us, and take it over in 2016.

Bunch of horseshit. Maybe you should learn a little more about Pauls positions. Know one thing for sure, his opinions have not changed one iota since he began running for presidential office.

TheGrinch
LOL... read the quote closely and carefully again. He doesn't say any Republican, he says a Republican.

not an accident
Good catch. In that case it's not even a white lie, just an understanding that beating Obama is EXTREMELY important to republican voters.

pauliticalfan

LOL, I got both positive and negative rep for this post. Looks like we have some GOP loyalists in our midst.

wgadget
Well, in his WA speech just now...He said that ONLY HE CAN BEAT OBAMA.

Maybe it was a preview.

Dianne

Wow, I'm kind of shocked. It looks to me, as though it is true that Paul or his son has been promised something; and this is the beginning of Paul's endorsement or concession speech.

notsure
03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Doesn't sound that way to me. They were specifically talking about what he was wearing and what he said. I think he said that today.

There's nothing really controversial about this quote.

03-03-2012, 08:30 PM
Bachus isn't that bad, but he's establishment -- supported TARP, etc.

He's also the chair of the Financial Committee... he appoints the chair of the Monetary Policy Subcommittee.

Ron Paul's not a dumbass, he understands the game. And plays it when he needs to for the benefit of liberty.

I think that's important. I know a lot of people on here might not agree, but when you agree with somebody 80% or more they are friend not enemy in politics.

minusbear
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Video or it didn't happen.

Ekrub
03-03-2012, 08:31 PM
In Spokane he yesterday someone asked him if there is ever a time to put party over principle.

His answer? A forceful and passionate "NEVER"

All I need to know.

Fwiw that got a standing ovation.

realtonygoodwin
03-03-2012, 08:33 PM
Bunch of horseshit. Maybe you should learn a little more about Pauls positions. Know one thing for sure, his opinions have not changed one iota since he began running for presidential office.

Except on the death penalty.

03-03-2012, 08:33 PM
I think that's important. I know a lot of people on here might not agree, but when you agree with somebody 80% or more they are friend not enemy in politics.

Of course, and Ron has shown us time and again that he can even come to agreement with people he certainly agrees with less than a majority of the time, like Dennis Kucinich, on the areas where they do agree, like foreign policy and civil liberties.

unknown
03-03-2012, 08:35 PM
Its ok. I think some of the typical GOP rhetoric is fine, will probably get some extra votes. Its not like hes gonna flip.

Yukimura17
03-03-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm pretty trusting considering his record, one or two sentence wouldn't change anything, misquote or not, he IS a politician, if I expect him to honestly states his belief all the time (resulting in media black out, fraudulent in voting, in response to the awesome supports he gets of course!), I I would be a really misinformed sheeple

GeorgiaAvenger
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM

Way to help the country and the cause...not! I will abstain from this NOBP insanity!

GeorgiaAvenger
03-03-2012, 08:52 PM
Except on the death penalty.And earmarks I think.

Sullivan*
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
Way to help the country and the cause...not! I will abstain from this NOBP insanity!
Principle is principle. If it's NOBP just because it's Paul, then I would agree with you, but I think with most of us it's NOBP because he's the only candidate who stands up for OUR principles. Preaching to the choir, but I'm not voting for Ron Paul because I'm a blind follower of Ron Paul. I like him, but I'm not devoted to him. I'll refuse to vote for anyone but Ron Paul in November strictly because there is nothing short of suicide that could prove to me that any of the other candidates would stand for what I truly believe in.

realtonygoodwin
03-03-2012, 09:04 PM
And his position on how to fix illegal immigration seems a little flexible.

shelskov
03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Unlikely, but IF (big if) Dr. Paul endorses Romney I imagine most of his supporters will not vote for Romney. Most of us are literate enough when it comes to liberty to know that it would be better to vote for Gary Johnson (or whoever the LP nominee is) if RP endorses Romney.

I don't think he will, but I'm just predicting that if he does, most of us won't blindly follow.

tennman
03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
If this is the worst thing he ever says, he's still amazing and still my hero. Compare that to the "worst" things that other candidates have said.

sailingaway
03-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Lol!

I'm going to bring you something he said in Q and A yesterday....

AhuwaleKaNaneHuna
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Ron has always been saying any Republican candidate would be better then Obama.

This is nothing new and why should it be surprising?

It's not like he would endorse any of the other Republican candidates either.

He does beleive they would try better then Obama to not spend as much because of pressure from the new tea party. That is all.

Anti Federalist
03-03-2012, 09:15 PM
As said, don't read too much into this one. None of the candidates hold a candle to Paul, however, they truly aren't as bad as Obama. You have to remember, that none of the other Republican candidates have actually done things like assassinating US Citizens.

That will occur within the first week.

Ekrub
03-03-2012, 09:30 PM
Lol!

I'm going to bring you something he said in Q and A yesterday....

Are you referring to this?

In Spokane he yesterday someone asked him if there is ever a time to put party over principle.

His answer? A forceful and passionate "NEVER"

All I need to know.

Fwiw that got a standing ovation.

sailingaway
03-03-2012, 09:46 PM
Are you referring to this?

:p

I wanted people to see the video and you stole the punch line. It took me forever to find, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4S-qiSk1Is&feature=related

the Q & A is about 29 minutes in, this particular question starts at 39:18 ish, but there are other good questions, such as what fiction and non fiction does he read...

socal
03-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I'll believe the quote and the way it was written up in Politico when I see the video, not before.

No Free Beer
03-03-2012, 10:04 PM
he is being smart.

NoOneButPaul
03-03-2012, 10:07 PM
Consider that it's also probably better from Rand to run in 2020 than it would be for him to run in 2016...

In 2020 he'll have 4 years left on his senate seat (assuming he wins re-election).

In 2016 he'll have to fight in 2 elections...and we'll have 4 more years of Obama.

Even if Romney won in 2012 and the Dems won in 2016 it would still be better for Rand to run in 2024...

I doubt this type of thinking is going through Ron's head but who knows...

sailingaway
03-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Ron is running to win, and if he doesn't will look at the delegates he has and get the most concrete movement he can out of it. But right now he is running to win, not thinking about Rand in 2020 or whatever.

rjl
03-03-2012, 10:17 PM
LOL, I got both positive and negative rep for this post. Looks like we have some GOP loyalists in our midst.

Right, because everyone who disagrees with your assessment is a mustache-twiddling GOP devotee secretly plotting against Ron Paul.

RickyJ
03-03-2012, 10:40 PM

What you don't realize is that he does not even consider the other candidates as real Republicans, so what he essentially said here is that he is the one that should win.

Dianne
03-03-2012, 10:51 PM
Looks like he is setting the stage for his son. Good for him. Doesn't mean I will vote for whoever he endorses just like the last time I didn't.

That is exactly what I believe. And it is normal, and we all as parents would probably do the same thing.

Paul is handing the baton to his son, statement sounds as though he (personally), is giving up. Agreed.... doesn't mean I will vote for anyone Paul endorses either. I have great bitterness to the GOP, especially as I watch the vote tampering and fraud they control.

F the GOP, F the DNC .... There are no free elections in America... We are now a banana republic, United Nations controlled, media controlled by the United Nations .. We are a dead nation ... There is no more "America".

sailingaway
03-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I think people are really jumping to conclusions here.

Brett85
03-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Of course, and Ron has shown us time and again that he can even come to agreement with people he certainly agrees with less than a majority of the time, like Dennis Kucinich, on the areas where they do agree, like foreign policy and civil liberties.

I won't agree that Dennis Kucinich supports civil liberties until he comes out in favor of the 2nd amendment.

jolynna
03-03-2012, 11:06 PM
You can't further liberty by compromising the life, liberty and justice for all.

Anyone candidate who SUPPORTS the Patriot Act or NDAA is in opposition to all of the above.

Defending the oath of office and upholding that oath as well as being truthful (not a liar) is the LEAST we should expect from our leaders. Imperialists like Bush or Obama or Romney are a threat to the movement. Which I agree is NOT about one man.

Ron and Rand are important to the movement because they spread the movement's message. The movement doesn't exist to move them into more important position where core issues get diluted so libertarians can be better "team players".

Integrity to core morals and the rights of other humans to be FREE (which they aren't if you are invading and policing their sovereign nations) and to LIFE (unless there is a provoked and declared war against them) is more central to this movement than ANY one person. Compromising the ethical issues taints and destroys the reason for the movement.

In my opinion.

ClydeCoulter
03-03-2012, 11:11 PM
You might want to research the "Weather Underground" to see if Obama is less offensive than Romney, there's more to what could come about than meets the press. Andrew Breitbart anyone?

jolynna
03-03-2012, 11:16 PM
I won't agree that Dennis Kucinich supports civil liberties until he comes out in favor of the 2nd amendment.

I don't think Romney's heart is much into the 2nd Amendment either. Gun Owners of America give him a D- on Gun Rights. http://www.kstatecollegian.com/opinion/voters-should-know-republican-candidates-views-on-gun-rights-1.2692317#

jolynna
03-03-2012, 11:22 PM
You might want to research the "Weather Underground" to see if Obama is less offensive than Romney, there's more to what could come about than meets the press. Andrew Breitbart anyone?

Frank VanderSloot? Eliot Cohen? Google them. Especially Eliot Cohen's military ties to Netanyahu and how he was central to leading Bush into war with Iraq.

There's more here than what is in the press too.

Not to mention Romney's imperialist ambitions: http://www.mittromney.com/sites/default/files/shared/AnAmericanCentury-WhitePaper_0.pdf

In my opinion.

ClydeCoulter
03-03-2012, 11:27 PM
Frank VanderSloot? Eliot Cohen? Google them. Especially Eliot Cohen's military ties to Netanyahu and how he was central to leading Bush into war with Iraq.

There's more here than what is in the press too.

Not to mention Romney's imperialist ambitions: http://www.mittromney.com/sites/default/files/shared/AnAmericanCentury-WhitePaper_0.pdf

In my opinion.

Exactly, both sides have an agenda we don't want to see come about, so it's "Ron Paul 2012", push, push, and it will be born.

jolynna
03-03-2012, 11:31 PM
I cannot see HOW the "LIBERTY MOVEMENT" can be further by endorsing a candidate who opposes LIFE, LIBERTY AND JUSTICE for All.

Which Romney does.

Lawyers are the last people to ask about war decisions. Romney (Oct 2007) Kind of opposes what he said in a debate but that was then..,

Double Guantanamo, to avoid terrorist access to lawyers. Romney (May 2007)

Best to not say whether waterboarding is torture or not. Romney (Jan 2008)

Wiretap mosques to keep tabs on Islamic extremists. Romney (Sep 2007)

FBI wiretaps and spying on immigrants OK. Romney (Dec 2006)

Sentinelrv
03-03-2012, 11:36 PM
I think people are really jumping to conclusions here.

Tell me about it. Have some faith people. Ron Paul would never betray us. This is just silly. I don't even know why I'm posting about it.

Ivash
03-03-2012, 11:40 PM
He's probably setting his son up for success, which is what he needs to do. He can't run third party now without sacrificing his son's political future, so that is unlikely.

Let the man support his family.

unknown
03-03-2012, 11:46 PM
He's probably setting his son up for success, which is what he needs to do. He can't run third party now without sacrificing his son's political future, so that is unlikely.

When has Ron Paul ever indicated that any of this was about "his son"? Rand is not a career politician, he, like his father, is a Medical Doctor. Stop buying into the media spin.

Until the convention is OVER, a Third Party run is NOT off the table.

jbuttell
03-03-2012, 11:46 PM
man, people in this thread are freaking out. Ron Paul isn't going to endorse Romney or any of the other stooges. Not going to happen. hah. calm down.

unknown
03-03-2012, 11:51 PM

How is NOBP "insanity"?

Which "cause" are you referring to? Who else even remotely deserves a vote?

newbitech
03-04-2012, 12:26 AM
Ron Paul has already said this in so many words.

He talks about building coalitions. His motive his entire career has been to be a conservative republican beacon and insurgent against Neo Cons, panderers, and extremist. You always here him railing on neo cons.

What makes anyone here believe that Mitt Romney or Santorum or Gingrich are Republicans in the mold of Ron Paul?

No way he endorses! Are you people who think that insane? SOFT SUPPORT welcome to RPF's... Stop posing as bandwagoners please.

I always hear a lot of people ask what is different from the 2008 campaign. Well I will tell you.

THere are TONS of bandwagon Ron Paul fans jumping on board. These are the soft supporters who inflate the hell out of the campaigns internal polling numbers but don't show up to vote.

Anyone who really thinks that what Ron Paul is saying and is something "new", haven't been paying attention to Ron Paul.

In 2007-08, Yes the Ron Paul r3volution was born and we knew that everyone was hardcore. Never did we talk about Ron Paul backing or joining forces with fake conservative republicans.

We all listened to Ron Paul define Republicanism to those idiot moderators when he answered the elect-ability issue and why he runs as a republican.

It is chic around these parts to act is if Ron Paul is only faking his Republicanism, but that is how he defines himself.

This is for all you new people and bandwagon supporters and soft voters.

When Ron Paul says "We all agree that its time to get rid of the current president and put in a Republican", don't be stupid and think he means put in a Republican in the mold of Romney, Santorum, or Gingrich.

He agrees because he is the only true republican, the rest are neo cons, extremists, or panderers. These types label themselves with R and D.

I am not surprised that the bandwagoners can't pick up on that.

Travlyr
03-04-2012, 12:41 AM

Brand New Ron Paul supporter ... I suppose?

Ron Paul is honest as the day is long. It's like a breath of fresh air. Ron's job is not to make sure Rand succeeds. Dad's job is to tell the truth. It is up to the son to understand the importance of that fact ... for all of us. We are all mortal. None of us are perfect. Rand can handle life without Dad ... it's just better with him.

newbitech
03-04-2012, 12:49 AM
I'm pretty trusting considering his record, one or two sentence wouldn't change anything, misquote or not, he IS a politician, if I expect him to honestly states his belief all the time (resulting in media black out, fraudulent in voting, in response to the awesome supports he gets of course!), I I would be a really misinformed sheeple

welcome. you are wrong too.

TheNewYorker
03-04-2012, 12:58 AM
I think you all need to stop being so anal. Yes the other republican candidates aren't ideal, but they are still better then the democRATs. Look at Obama's administration - they've said their concern is not even with gas prices rising, they said they WANT gas prices to go up to force people to buy fuel efficient vehicles. I have nothing against fuel efficient vehicles and I agree it should be a long term goal to cut dependence on fossil fuels, but unless the government wants to buy me a $30,000 hybrid car tomorrow, I don't see any way I'm going to be able to get one. What these rich democrats do not realize is 99% of Americans can not afford to just go out and plop down 30 grand or more on a new car without thinking twice, just because they can with their millions of dollars. But sure democrats, keep destroying the country. We will see how good the economy is when unemployment is at 75% or higher because no one can afford to drive back and forth to work every day with $9.00 per gallon gasoline. This should be enough reason to vote a republican into office.

I think we can all agree that Ron Paul is our hero, sure, and a million times better than any of the other republican candidates. But sorry, if Ron Paul endorses Romney, than Romney is good enough for me. Ron Paul is far more wise than me, or ANY OF US HERE and we should trust his wisdom. If he would rather see any republican take the white house, we should too.

TheTexan
03-04-2012, 12:59 AM
If he would rather see any republican take the white house, we should too.

No

Feeding the Abscess
03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
Until we have the question that led to that answer, we'll never know the context of the statement.

TheNewYorker
03-04-2012, 01:01 AM
No

Then you are not a Ron Paul supporter, so please don't vote for him. If you think you know what is best for America and Ron doesn't, maybe you should go run for president.

Feeding the Abscess
03-04-2012, 01:03 AM
I think you all need to stop being so anal. Yes the other republican candidates aren't ideal, but they are still better then the democRATs. Look at Obama's administration - they've said their concern is not even with gas prices rising, they said they WANT gas prices to go up to force people to buy fuel efficient vehicles. I have nothing against fuel efficient vehicles and I agree it should be a long term goal to cut dependence on fossil fuels, but unless the government wants to buy me a $30,000 hybrid car tomorrow, I don't see any way I'm going to be able to get one. What these rich democrats do not realize is 99% of Americans can not afford to just go out and plop down 30 grand or more on a new car without thinking twice, just because they can with their millions of dollars. But sure democrats, keep destroying the country. We will see how good the economy is when unemployment is at 75% or higher because no one can afford to drive back and forth to work every day with $9.00 per gallon gasoline. This should be enough reason to vote a republican into office.

I think we can all agree that Ron Paul is our hero, sure, and a million times better than any of the other republican candidates. But sorry, if Ron Paul endorses Romney, than Romney is good enough for me. Ron Paul is far more wise than me, or ANY OF US HERE and we should trust his wisdom. If he would rather see any republican take the white house, we should too.

That is a terrible way to look at things. Ron Paul is a stud, but he won't be around forever. Our movement needs to be based on philosophy, or it will die a slow, pathetic death.

newbitech
03-04-2012, 01:07 AM

sorry, you've been around but you haven't figured it out either.

Say Romney wins, is he going to stop driving up the debt and stop inflating the currency? No. It doesnt matter if its a D or R in the office. We are going to get what is coming regardless. Whether Ron Paul becomes the nominee and wins or doesn't become the nominee at all, if we are going to want lower gas prices, we are going to have to make CONGRESS abolish the Federal Reserve.

I don't know about you, but I have only voted 2 times in my life. Both were for George Bush a Republican. There is nothing that will get me to vote again, besides RP being on the ballot.

TheTexan
03-04-2012, 01:07 AM
Then you are not a Ron Paul supporter, so please don't vote for him. If you think you know what is best for America and Ron doesn't, maybe you should go run for president.

If he asks me to vote for Romney, I'll lose a great deal of respect for the man. My faith in him has limits.

TheNewYorker
03-04-2012, 01:08 AM
That is a terrible way to look at things. Ron Paul is a stud, but he won't be around forever. Our movement needs to be based on philosophy, or it will die a slow, pathetic death.

Maybe so, but this movement exists because of Ron Paul. He is our pioneer, our shepherd, and if he says something is good, I know it's good. I will trust him. He has earned it.

HigherVision
03-04-2012, 01:08 AM
I'm just gonna either vote for a third party like the libertarian party or not at all if Ron Paul doesn't get the nomination. I personally have no preference between establishment republican and establishment liberal. Republicans can actually be worse on some civil liberties so I see neither as superior to the other.

If he asks me to vote for Romney, I'll lose a great deal of respect for the man. My faith in him has limits.

Oh come on.

newbitech
03-04-2012, 01:10 AM

Really did you just tell someone NOT to vote for Ron Paul because he WON'T vote for Romney even if Ron Paul whispers it in his ear while dreaming? If you think Ron Paul knows what is best for every one of his supporters, maybe you should go become a doctor.

Feeding the Abscess
03-04-2012, 01:11 AM
Maybe so, but this movement exists because of Ron Paul. He is our pioneer, our shepherd, and if he says something is good, I know it's good. I will trust him. He has earned it.

Ron Paul himself said ideas are the only things that matter; that politicians are pretty much irrelevant.

HigherVision
03-04-2012, 01:22 AM
Really people need to stop harping on every little thing. Gotta get priorities straight. If RP says that he thinks it would be better to vote for Mitt Romney than Barack Obama people can agree or disagree. I disagree because I think they're so similar it doesn't matter. But the important thing is does Ron Paul vote like Mitt Romney in Congress? No he doesn't. So a vote for Ron Paul is a vote for the liberty movement, which is what we need to build more so than any one individual. Otherwise all we'll be stuck with is Mitt Romneys because of our own self-defeatist ways.

impaleddead
03-04-2012, 04:10 AM
I think a Republican needs to beat Obama too...So that Ron will be vindicated when the new republican president does nothing to change our march toward tyranny.

Birdlady
03-04-2012, 04:38 AM
So let me get this one straight. He is playing the left/right paradigm game just enough to make his message more appealing to regular voters and all of you are freaking out? I don't even know what to say on here anymore. This is exactly how Ron Paul should have been talking from the get go. He has avoided talking about Obama for far far too long. I personally think it's too little too late. Every single time Romney talks about getting rid of Obama, he gets loud applause because it's a message that resonates with ALL Republicans. It's an excellent way to reach out to people who may not have taken a serious look at you before.

You all wanted electability ads and greater appeal to the "older" voters right? Well this the type of stuff that works and I think he should have been saying this for months. It is the first step. You can't say you are able to beat Obama if you never talk about or attack him.

If you think this somehow implies Ron will endorse Romney, it is a figment of your own imagination.

azxd
03-04-2012, 04:41 AM

A bit more and I'll just stay home and dig a foxhole :rolleyes:

azxd
03-04-2012, 04:45 AM
YEP !!!
The movement is not about a single man.

Raudsarw
03-04-2012, 04:53 AM
No compromise with evil!

dancjm
03-04-2012, 06:03 AM
Sometimes, if you want to speak to a dog, you have to bark.

wgadget
03-04-2012, 06:17 AM
Maybe Ron is just watching our backs. When/If Obama wins the general, no one will be able to blame Ron for being a non-team player, someone who won't even support a fellow Republican in the general, just like last time. It's a complaint I hear often.

dante
03-04-2012, 08:29 AM
I could see RP accepting, and I would gladly support RP as vice president if he got the following concessions from Romney, and Romney only:

1. Appoint Jim Grant as Fed Reserve Chair
2. No wars without a congressional declaration
3. Legalize competing currency
4. 250 billion+ year one budget cuts
5. Fix our corporate tax code
6. Abolish the TSA

anewvoice
03-04-2012, 08:44 AM
Geez people, if Dr. Paul hasn't proven himself to you yet, I don't really know how he ever can.

Don't examine every damn word printed by the media. If Paul's 20+ year voting record doesn't prove to you what he is all about, then you have some studying to do.

+rep QFT

DerailingDaTrain
03-04-2012, 08:48 AM
I could see RP accepting, and I would gladly support RP as vice president if he got the following concessions from Romney, and Romney only:

1. Appoint Jim Grant as Fed Reserve Chair
2. No wars without a congressional declaration
3. Legalize competing currency
4. 250 billion+ year one budget cuts
5. Fix our corporate tax code
6. Abolish the TSA

I can think of 10 things to add to that list and even then I'd still feel really bad about Romney in the WH. There's a poll I saw about Mitt/Paul possible alliances and the supporters who partcipated were really clear. If it isn't Ron only then he won't get a vote because they would feel like he somehow betrayed them by becoming just another career politician. Never going to happen though.

jolynna
03-04-2012, 09:19 AM

I love Ron Paul to death, but I couldn't vote for an anti-liberty candidate because he tells me to.

I will lose respect for him should he ask me to.

Upholding their oath of office, which means upholding the constitution and protecting our lives, liberty and assuring justice for all is the LEAST we should expect from our leader. NOBODY that supports NDAA or the Patriot Act and a horde of other assaults can be a consideration.

This is the old, if everybody else jumped off of a bridge would you do it? We aren't blind sheep or lemmings, unless we behave like those animals. Ethics MATTER. The ethics which are the foundation of the movement CAN'T be compromised.

In my opinion.

sailingaway
03-04-2012, 09:30 AM
:p

I wanted people to see the video and you stole the punch line. It took me forever to find, too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4S-qiSk1Is&feature=related

the Q & A is about 29 minutes in, this particular question starts at 39:18 ish, but there are other good questions, such as what fiction and non fiction does he read...

Will you watch this, already? I think it answers the point. You can go directly to the question, at about 39:18. I marked the time. This was Spokane on Friday.

If Ron doesn't win, however he uses his delegates will be for OUR benefit, as best he can.

jolynna
03-04-2012, 09:40 AM
Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post

More +rep from me.

The movement isn't any ONE person (or his son).

It is based on philosophies that cannot be compromised and diluted without ALL of the message being sacrificed. There is no such thing as "some" liberty, "some" guarantee of life and "some" justice.

From the very first debate on, Ron Paul has been like a beacon from behind his podium. His integrity shows up ALL of the competition for "what they are"--which is pretty repulsive. Once you've gone Paul (and bought into his ideals) there is no looking back (or compromising).

In my opinion.

nf7mate
03-04-2012, 09:44 AM
The media's latest attempt to diminish Paul appears to be to present him as a sell out. Yeah, right. Anyone that has been paying attention won't believe that garbage.

Ron Paul will not endorse Romney unless we get something major, like naming Ron Paul as the Fed Chairman or a dramatic reduction in overseas bases.

Romney would not do such things, so Ron will not be endorsing Romney. Don't believe the media.

The_Ruffneck
03-04-2012, 09:47 AM
Starting to sound more like a typical con, which is not good in my opinion. Number one goal should be to win the nomination. If we can't do that, we screw the GOP in November, make them pay for what they've done to us, and take it over in 2016.uhh he's trying to woo the flip floppers who move from romney to santorum to gingrich.Good move IMO may get a few extra votes.

03-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Romney would not do such things, so Ron will not be endorsing Romney. Don't believe the media.

Why wouldn't he? He wants to win the election and he's had no problem changing his positions in the past.

Feeding the Abscess
03-04-2012, 09:56 AM
Why wouldn't he? He wants to win the election and he's had no problem changing his positions in the past.

And why would Ron endorse him? It's not like Ron isn't aware that Romney says things to get elected.

djruden
03-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Paul has said numberous times that any of his republican competitors would be better than Obama and this isn't that different. It's a pretty obvious and easy to say thing.

mhad
03-04-2012, 10:15 AM
he has said this many times. move on.

sailingaway
03-04-2012, 10:20 AM
Paul has said numberous times that any of his republican competitors would be better than Obama and this isn't that different. It's a pretty obvious and easy to say thing.

He usually says that he pretty much sees them all the same, but in this instance he was saying 'we all want to beat Obama, don't we? So look at the polls right now of who beats Obama, and vote for me!'

I honestly haven't the slightest objection.

Warrior_of_Freedom
03-04-2012, 10:25 AM
He does it to attract people who think he's a kook. Because, remember, this election is not about freedom to these people, but about beating Obama. Who cares if it's Adolf Stalin, as long as Obama is out of the white house.

03-04-2012, 10:26 AM
And why would Ron endorse him? It's not like Ron isn't aware that Romney says things to get elected.

To get a VP nomination for himself or Rand and advance the cause. To run on a platform that is the best he can do for the country with what he has to work with. We're in a lot of trouble as a country and a compromise on positions that is acceptable to both side's supporters is better than being shut out of the process.

Johnny Appleseed
03-04-2012, 10:31 AM
Ive seen him wave a couple of times and I didn't notice any nail holes in his hand.

Sola_Fide
03-04-2012, 10:33 AM
"My nickname for you is Apostle Paul,” Laura Christian, a 55-year-old Paul supporter, told him.

“No, no, don’t go that far,” Paul told her.

*sniffle*

Dr. Paul is the Apostle Paul....the Augustine...the Martin Luther...the Samuel Adams of our day.

Why am in tears so much today?

jolynna
03-04-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks to the link to the Spokane speech.

QUESTION FROM THE AUDIENCE: "Is it ever o.k. to put your party ahead of your principles?"

RON PAUL: "NEVER"

'nuf said.

jolynna
03-04-2012, 10:55 AM

Let Romney change his positions to OUR way NOW if he is going to court us.

So far Romney's wooing of Ron Paul supporters leaves a LOT to be desired.

He's advocating the Patriot Act and NDAA. Wants Guatanemo camp to be TWICE as big so that the detainees won't have access to lawyers. Thinks there should be MORE eavesdropping (even in mosques) and spying minus warrants. This speech by Ron Paul in Spokane (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v4S-qiSk1Is#!) specifically "digs" at Romney's use of the term "American Exceptionalism" which Romney uses to justify his imperialistic ideals (http://www.mittromney.com/sites/default/files/shared/AnAmericanCentury-WhitePaper_0.pdf)

ENDORSING ROMNEY NOW, would be like MARRYING A DRINKER WITH HOPES YOU CAN REFORM HIM. (How often does THAT ever work out?)

Ron Paul says he will NEVER compromise his principles. He won't ask his supporters to do it. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=v4S-qiSk1Is#)

In my opinion.

ClydeCoulter
03-04-2012, 02:14 PM
Ive seen him wave a couple of times and I didn't notice any nail holes in his hand.

No, but a swift 24hr ordeal would have been over by now, he's been enduring for 30+ years in the face of ridicule.

jbuttell
03-04-2012, 05:30 PM

Agreed, but I find it somewhat strange that you'd even begin to entertain the idea that Ron would endorse Romney. Just isn't going to happen.

klamath
03-04-2012, 05:58 PM
Thanks to the link to the Spokane speech.

QUESTION FROM THE AUDIENCE: "Is it ever o.k. to put your party ahead of your principles?"

RON PAUL: "NEVER"

'nuf said. But what you maybe missing is that maybe RP believes voting for romney over obama is advancing some of his principles as he see it and it is his and ONLY his decision to make.

MaxPower
03-04-2012, 06:14 PM
This looks like a careful choice of words to me. He said they agree it's a good idea to replace Obama with a Republican; he didn't say "Any Republican will do."

To the people who are talking about Ron Paul endorsing Romney: I will... uh... do something very ridiculous the day Ron Paul endorses Mitt Romney. It won't happen.

Blue
03-04-2012, 06:25 PM
It's just words, folks. Trying to appeal to a larger base, that's all.